Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alltech festival

• 01-02-2016 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

The alltech food and beer festival is on in the Convention Center this weekend.

Anyone planning on going? Hear of any good specials that will be at it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Won't be going, €20 tickets and paid-for small samples (100ml) is out of my budget.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'll be there. I'm happy to hear 5 Lamps Dark IPA will be available -- I was sorry to have missed it over the Christmas break. The serious geek action seems to be at the Soulwater/Clada stand: some real beauts in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I'll be there, my first time going. Soulwater seems to be the place to be with their Buxton/Wild Beer/Lervig connections. Heard of a few specials that will be available, I guess they'll be revealed during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

The usual beoir discount at the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Not G.R wrote: »

I don't think so because they don't have anything to do with this festival

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Don't think we've ever had a Beoir discount at Alltech.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll be there as Mrs Sleepy got two tickets for a Christmas present from someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Not G.R wrote: »

No , we never had a discount for Alltech

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Went along last year and had a brilliant day. My first experience of a proper beer festival. *tear* Didn't think I'd be able to afford it this year, and now it's too late to change plans. Oh well!

An File wrote: »
    Went along last year and had a brilliant day. My first experience of a proper beer festival. *tear* Didn't think I'd be able to afford it this year, and now it's too late to change plans. Oh well!

well there is always the Irish Craft Beer and Cider Festival Wednesday 16th till Saturday 19th of march at the RDS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I think I'll make my first outing to it this year. Booka Brass Band on the Saturday is also genuinely appealing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Won't be able to go again this year, never got to this one, O'Haras very nicely sent me a private message on twitter about their seasonal launch tomorrow night so I'll make do with that.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I think I'll make my first outing to it this year. Booka Brass Band on the Saturday is also genuinely appealing!

oooh see you there then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

BeerNut wrote: »
    Don't think we've ever had a Beoir discount at Alltech.

Must have confused it with ICBCF in the RDS.

In other news €39.50 for a 3 day pass... DaFuq?! Was it that expensive last year? I can't seem to remember!

O'Haras very nicely sent me a private message on twitter about their seasonal launch tomorrow night so I'll make do with that.

Got the same invite but don't think I'll be able to make that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Won't be going, €20 tickets and paid-for small samples (100ml) is out of my budget.

Last year the servings were well over 100ml. Entrance is still pricey alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Is the standard measure meant to be 100ml?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

How much do the charge per serving? Entrance is a tad pricy, so I'm still himmin and hawin whether I'll go.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    How much do the charge per serving? Entrance is a tad pricy, so I'm still himmin and hawin whether I'll go.

IIRC it worked out at about 2.50 for a 200ml but in reality you were generally getting at least 300ml

Is the standard measure meant to be 100ml?!

No, they used to give out a free sample if you asked. Guess they will probably charge 1 token now.

So, is the glass the same size as at the ICBCF? I can't seem to find any reference to it on the website.

I'm still going to go but am nevertheless curious about the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Penkins

So, is the glass the same size as at the ICBCF? I can't seem to find any reference to it on the website.

I'm still going to go but am nevertheless curious about the details.

Last year the "glass" was a 500 ml plastic eco-cup. Pretty boring, nowhere near as nice as the ICBCF glasses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Makes the €20 in even more ridiculous then

Ad on radio has "includes 2 free tokens and a souvenir cup", hopefully its some use though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,569 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im going, il be going to the other one too, yay

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A question for those who've attended this before: how much spending cash are a couple likely to need at this assuming they'd be looking to sample as much as possible while there?

€50 would be plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,569 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RasTa wrote: »
    €50 would be plenty

And you may not be standing aftewards :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

charging tokens for samples would be fairly annoying. It was nice at the one in the RDS where when you were chatting to the brewers they would pretty much let you taste all they had and when you decided what you liked they filled up the glass and took the tokens.

Advertisement