Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

• 13-01-2016 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It would seem every forum has an off topic chat thread, so here is one for us jaded guardians.

So pull up a chair, put your feet up (But not on Cade's table) and have a little chit chat with your fellow universe saving buddies. Take the time....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Gaming (General) Forum won't be the same anymore without our thread on page one. It's like that Pink Floyd album that stayed in the charts for 47 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought The Flash was back last night (and Arrow tonight) but they aren't back until next week... GUTTED.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I thought The Flash was back last night (and Arrow tonight) but they aren't back until next week... GUTTED.

And DC legends of tomorrow starts then aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

jonny24ie wrote: »
    And DC legends of tomorrow starts then aswell :D

Is it Tuesday Flash, Wednesday Arrow, Thursday Legends?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Is it Tuesday Flash, Wednesday Arrow, Thursday Legends?

Im not sure dude but I will have a look and see and let you know :)

edit: Thursday January 21st

• Advertisement

Im not sure dude but I will have a look and see and let you know :)

edit: Thursday January 21st

Aye, i see the CW have moved a couple of big hitters to Friday night to accommodate Legends. Might get some nightly use out of Hulu Plus now :P

Aye, i see the CW have moved a couple of big hitters to Friday night to accommodate Legends. Might get some nightly use out of Hulu Plus now :P

And then marvel are coming out with their own team up programme aswell so i have way too much to watch now haha

And then marvel are coming out with their own team up programme aswell so i have way too much to watch now haha

And the 30 minute clean up crew one, which i think will be a dark horse. And there's still talks of CW picking up Constantine.....

Only issue i see is over saturation.

Yeah, currently i watch the following:

Flash
    Arrow
    Marvel Agents of Shield
    The Walking Dead
    Fear the walking Dead
    Z-Nation
    Super-Girl

Have Jessica Jones/Luke Cake/Iron Fist to add to them aswell. They are eating into Destiny time tho haha

Flash
    Arrow
    Marvel Agents of Shield
    The Walking Dead
    Fear the walking Dead
    Z-Nation
    Super-Girl

Have Jessica Jones/Luke Cake/Iron Fist to add to them aswell. They are eating into Destiny time tho haha

Haven't got into Super-Girl, how would you rate it?

• Advertisement

Flash
    Arrow
    Marvel Agents of Shield
    The Walking Dead
    Fear the walking Dead
    Z-Nation
    Super-Girl

Flash
    Arrow
    Marvel Agents of Shield
    Super-Girl
    Gotham

They are my current TV ones - half way though Jessica Jones too.

Of course I watch other TV, which the other half is more interested in, too - Elementary, Big Bang, Modern Family. Scandal would probably be my pick of the bunch that I watch with the other half. Really like it.

Favourite show..... Band of Brothers. Amazing TV. Loved The Wire too. never watched Sopranos:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Anytime I tell people I'm watching Gotham I get what I can only describe as a Vomit of other DC/Marvel shows I should watch..... thing is most of them are only average... but try telling the fans that :rolleyes:

It usually ends up with me repeating "Yeah but is it Actually any good? I mean Really?"

Usually afterwards I'd say it to missus, she'd be like "Oh yeah, I watched the 1st 4 episodes of that, it's boring as f**k" (Jessica Jones being an example)

My new way of distinguishing if someone has, in any way, a form of critical thinking when it comes to TV shows, is to ask them if they still think the Walking Dead (as it currently stands) is a good show.

That or I'll ask.... "Tell me what show you Don't like? What show have you seen recently that you thought was cr@p"... a lot of people can't give a comprehensive answer.

I refuse to submit to whatever Netflix tells me is good. I'm onto you Netflix

Cormac... wrote: »
    Anytime I tell people I'm watching Gotham I get what I can only describe as a Vomit of other DC/Marvel shows I should watch..... thing is most of them are only average... but try telling the fans that :rolleyes:

It usually ends up with me repeating "Yeah but is it Actually any good? I mean Really?"

Usually afterwards I'd say it to missus, she'd be like "Oh yeah, I watched the 1st 4 episodes of that, it's boring as f**k" (Jessica Jones being an example)

My new way of distinguishing if someone has, in any way, a form of critical thinking when it comes to TV shows, is to ask them if they still think the Walking Dead (as it currently stands) is a good show.

That or I'll ask.... "Tell me what show you Don't like? What show have you seen recently that you thought was cr@p"... a lot of people can't give a comprehensive answer.

I refuse to submit to whatever Netflix tells me is good. I'm onto you Netflix
    I wouldn;t recommend other Marvel stuff off watching GOtham - Gotham is much closer to a standard procedural cop show, just has the super villians in the making flourish, and the DC back story to make characters a bit more interesting (because you know the general direction they are going). I would say Daredevil is the only I would recommend to people based off liking Gotham.

I've only watched 3 episodes of the walking dead so can offer no opinion on it to put a quality mark on any other TV opinions.

Actually don't watch Game of Thrones either - it got to a certain point in both where I just felt it was too far gone to start!

I would say Daredevil is the only I would recommend to people based off liking Gotham.

I've only watched 3 episodes of the walking dead so can offer no opinion on it to put a quality mark on any other TV opinions.

Actually don't watch Game of Thrones either - it got to a certain point in both where I just felt it was too far gone to start!

Apparently Daredevil is indeed the only other one people can conclusively agree I should watch

The Walking Dead is great for about 3-4 seasons.... but now in Season 6 (I think,) getting drip fed far less interesting content each week becomes so drab and bland and "meh"

You can do a "find and replace" on the above and swap Walking Dead with Game of Thrones fwiw.

Thing is, neither show is one I can enjoy after a few beers..... so depresssing

Watched 22-Jump Street at the weekend.... was not disappointed... genuinely made me laugh loudly

Rating: 5 out of 7, absolutely perfect

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Flash
    Arrow
    Marvel Agents of Shield
    Super-Girl
    Gotham

They are my current TV ones - half way though Jessica Jones too.

Of course I watch other TV, which the other half is more interested in, too - Elementary, Big Bang, Modern Family. Scandal would probably be my pick of the bunch that I watch with the other half. Really like it.

Favourite show..... Band of Brothers. Amazing TV. Loved The Wire too. never watched Sopranos:eek:

Watches the Big Bang but hasn't seen The Sopranos?? Got to be a bannable offense that! :D

What about Breaking Bad, you've seen that hopefully?

And yeah, The Walking Dead stopped being a good show after season 2 (even if I continued to watch it in the hope certain characters got killed).

Haven't got into Super-Girl, how would you rate it?

Ive only started watching it, so far its ok nothing special so ill give it a few more episodes :)

Oh yeah Game of Thrones, big bang should also be on my list.

Breaking bad is still in the to watch pile tho :(

The Big Bang suffers from a common sitcom issue of Trying-To-Hard.... it's like the Simpsons (nowadays) where ever line tries to be funny... i mean EVERY line, there's no gravitas to any of the characters actions.

That being said the earlier seasons were funny (not re-watch them 3 times funny, but maybe a 2nd time in the background while you play some games funny)... once all the guys started getting girlfriends it got decidedly less funny - just joke after joke about withholding sex and the likes.

That being said, MOST shows with a laugh track made nowadays give me nausea they are so bad

Anyone watch Key and Peele? I'm quiet enjoying their sketch show nowadays, but it is a bit hit and miss... same applies to Inside Amy Schumer

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭thegame983

I thought Fargo was fantastic. Best show since Mad Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭thegame983

The Big Bang suffers from a common sitcom issue of Trying-To-Hard.... it's like the Simpsons (nowadays) where ever line tries to be funny... i mean EVERY line, there's no gravitas to any of the characters actions.

That being said the earlier seasons were funny (not re-watch them 3 times funny, but maybe a 2nd time in the background while you play some games funny)... once all the guys started getting girlfriends it got decidedly less funny - just joke after joke about withholding sex and the likes.

That being said, MOST shows with a laugh track made nowadays give me nausea they are so bad

Anyone watch Key and Peele? I'm quiet enjoying their sketch show nowadays, but it is a bit hit and miss... same applies to Inside Amy Schumer

Check out 'Veep' if you want quality comedy with no laugh track

• Advertisement

thegame983 wrote: »
    Check out 'Veep' if you want quality comedy with no laugh track

Is that the American version of The Thick of It? I've heard of that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Is that the American version of The Thick of It? I've heard of that alright

Not near enough swearing to be closes to TToI. It's another try to hard American comedy.

Not near enough swearing to be closes to TToI. It's another try to hard American comedy.

The American Office was a good show... not much else translates across the pond as well. The Office USA kind of carved out it's own niche beyond season 2, I'd say partially due to the input of Steve Carrell, B.J.Novak and Rainn Wilson

The American Office was a good show... not much else translates across the pond as well. The Office USA kind of carved out it's own niche beyond season 2, I'd say partially due to the input of Steve Carrell, B.J.Novak and Rainn Wilson

Don't think I saw the alst season of that, but yeah - it was a good show. I think when it went its own way rather than just copy the original, it got a lot better.

Don't think I saw the alst season of that, but yeah - it was a good show. I think when it went its own way rather than just copy the original, it got a lot better.

Agreed. That last season and a half when it broke the 4th wall was not as good, too much contrast with Dwight being Whacky and Jim&Pam being in a disastrous relationship

Anyone watch Banshee?

Jim&Pam being in a disastrous relationship
    :eek:WHAT???:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Haven't seen any of these DC/Marvel shows. Did see a trailer type thing for Supergirl, was NOT bowled over.

Only show's I watch would be Homeland / Breaking Bad / Suits (only up to S3 then lost interest). Gonna start on The Wire and House of Cards.

Other regular shows would be things like Peppa Pig / Ben and Hollys Little Kingdom / Paw Patrol / Blaze and the Monster Machines.........

:eek: WHAT???:(

Era, don't bother. It was ham-handedly-handled... it was a constant in that last season

• Advertisement

Haven't seen any of these DC/Marvel shows. Did see a trailer type thing for Supergirl, was NOT bowled over.

Only show's I watch would be Homeland / Breaking Bad / Suits (only up to S3 then lost interest). Gonna start on The Wire and House of Cards.

Other regular shows would be things like Peppa Pig / Ben and Hollys Little Kingdom / Paw Patrol / Blaze and the Monster Machines.........

No pokemon??????

Advertisement