Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I would say Daredevil is the only I would recommend to people based off liking Gotham.

I have S1 downloaded, but haven't gotten around to watch it after the house move. I liked the look of that corridor fight scene, from Old Boy.
    Did see a trailer type thing for Supergirl, was NOT bowled over.

I watched the first episode of Supergirl and Jesus wept it is woeful... You could write a thesis on how contrived the whole series plot is.
    They seem to be going for the whole, lets make TV shows for girls, theme.
    She works in a news / fashion magazine and has a strong powerful woman boss who is a heartless megalomaniac...
    So she's out saving the world, all the while maintaining her social life.

Anyway, I guess I'm not the target audience but the whole plot was so terrible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I generally splurge on TV shows, play destiny for week on end then a few evenings of catching up on tv shows and its all good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I just found George R.R. Martin to be a pretty average to poor Fantasy Fiction writer.

The more the story deviates away from the later books the better. The series becomes totally boring and insists upon itself.

That being said I think he created one of the better fantasy fiction worlds to date. And he filled it with good characters. Pretty frustrating he handles it all so poorly.

The shows pretty much caught up with the books now so we'll see in April how it goes. I've never been so bored as I was reading the last 2 and half of his books.

GoT was an enjoyable jaunt for about 3 seasons.

I just myself starting to dislike, then detest, then loath some of the characters you're meant to initially like. Notable examples being Bran Stark, Arya Stark, Daenerys Targaryen.

I don't get their motives, I don't buy their conviction, I don't get excited buy their story arc.

GRRM Tried too hard to make them too "complex" and "deep" imho and they have become just a mess in their current form in the timeline.

He's better at writing likeable "villians" though, like Jamie, The Hound etc.

Raymond E Feist is a better writer... and that series would have translated really well to TV or Movies. Not sure how tripe like "Legend of the Seeker" gets a 44 episode series given how poor the books are and terrible (I'm taking Zena Warrior Princess levels of naff) the TV show were.

Anything done in Midkemia, if properly handled, would be able to equal series 1 of GoT, be a close 2nd to the LotR films, surpass the the Hobbit moves and generally put shame to anything from seasons 4 and 5 of GoT (baring maybe the 2 or 3 more exciting episodes).

Yours,
    Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Cormac... wrote: »
    Raymond E Feist is a better writer... and that series would have translated really well to TV or Movies. Not sure how tripe like "Legend of the Seeker" gets a 44 episode series given how poor the books are and terrible (I'm taking Zena Warrior Princess levels of naff) the TV show were.

Anything done in Midkemia, if properly handled, would be able to equal series 1 of GoT, be a close 2nd to the LotR films, surpass the the Hobbit moves and generally put shame to anything from seasons 4 and 5 of GoT (baring maybe the 2 or 3 more exciting episodes)

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I would love to see Midkemia and Kelewan brought to life. Pug and Tomas. Greater Magic and Lesser Magic. The Valheru. The whole world of the Magician series and the others that followed has to be right up there as one of the best ever created and put to paper.

Another I would love to see on screen, though nigh on never going to happen (even though a studio has the tv and film rights), would be the Wheel of Time series. I've been a fan of Tolkein since I was introduced to the Hobbit way back when I was 8, so Middle Earth will always be my favourite, but what Robert Jordan created, surpasses Middle Earth in scope and scale.

The 13 (a very significant number) book main series (14 if you include the prequel book New Spring), and the companion book The World of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time are fantastic. Yes the series gets a bit slow in the middle, but the sheer amount of characters, and main characters at that is unmatched. Each has their own arc, each arc crosses path with another at some point. The last 3 books where finished off by Brandon Sanderson (Chosen by Robert Jordan's wife, and using RJ's notes for the books), culminating in the Final battle. Some story arc's where finished off quite abruptly, but this is down to the unfortunate situation of RJ not completing the series himself.

I've read the entire series twice now and am feeling the itch for a third.

*Neckbearding Intensifies!!!*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

*Neckbearding Intensifies!!!*

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Sexy Neckbearding to boot....

• Registered Users Posts: 44,876 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I would love to see Midkemia and Kelewan brought to life. Pug and Tomas. Greater Magic and Lesser Magic. The Valheru. The whole world of the Magician series and the others that followed has to be right up there as one of the best ever created and put to paper.

Another I would love to see on screen, though nigh on never going to happen (even though a studio has the tv and film rights), would be the Wheel of Time series. I've been a fan of Tolkein since I was introduced to the Hobbit way back when I was 8, so Middle Earth will always be my favourite, but what Robert Jordan created, surpasses Middle Earth in scope and scale.

The 13 (a very significant number) book main series (14 if you include the prequel book New Spring), and the companion book The World of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time are fantastic. Yes the series gets a bit slow in the middle, but the sheer amount of characters, and main characters at that is unmatched. Each has their own arc, each arc crosses path with another at some point. The last 3 books where finished off by Brandon Sanderson (Chosen by Robert Jordan's wife, and using RJ's notes for the books), culminating in the Final battle. Some story arc's where finished off quite abruptly, but this is down to the unfortunate situation of RJ not completing the series himself.

Yes, Yes and YES!

I think I have read all of the Feist books, might be one or two i have missed.

I reckon a load of David Gemmell stuff would translate very well. Any of the Druss, Skillgannan, Waylander could be amazing. The Jon Shannow books could make a nice quick mini-series too.

FYI, Myself and a few of the others (from the Destiny Clan) are Playing Borderlands 2 if anyone is interested in that.
    I've set up a chat for it on the PS4.
    There's 5 of us between level 12 and 17 with varying levels of experience (some brand new, some after playing OP8 numerous times)
    You can message me on PSN if you're interested in playing in a group.

I have S1 downloaded, but haven't gotten around to watch it after the house move. I liked the look of that corridor fight scene, from Old Boy.

I watched the first episode of Supergirl and Jesus wept it is woeful... You could write a thesis on how contrived the whole series plot is.
    They seem to be going for the whole, lets make TV shows for girls, theme.
    She works in a news / fashion magazine and has a strong powerful woman boss who is a heartless megalomaniac...
    So she's out saving the world, all the while maintaining her social life.

Anyway, I guess I'm not the target audience but the whole plot was so terrible.

The second episode really dialed up the 'Girl Power' aspect too> it toned down quite a bit after that, imo, though with three of the leads being female it will always have an element of that.

As I said before, i don't see it as must watch tv like i do gotham, flash or arrow (in terms of comic world shows) but i find it fairly light and entertaining.

I find it a fairly light show (only watched 4 or 5 episodes) but I wouldn't say the plot itself is a problem, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

FYI, Myself and a few of the others (from the Destiny Clan) are Playing Borderlands 2 if anyone is interested in that.
    There's 5 of us between level 12 and 17 with varying levels of experience (some brand new, some after playing OP8 numerous times)

Sh1te, i have BL2 for the Xbox 360 and PC. Never did any co-op. I can't justify buying it on PS4 too.

Sh1te, i have BL2 for the Xbox 360 and PC. Never did any co-op. I can't justify buying it on PS4 too.

Course ya can, The Handsome Jack Collection is only €29.99

That's BL2 and all 7 (?) DLC packs and the whole of Borderlands the pre Sequel with all it's DLCs. That's value right there.

I also had it on the X-Box 360 with the Season Pass :o

Mine is still in its cellophane wrapping. :o

This could be an excuse to give the disc a run.

Mine is still in its cellophane wrapping. :o

This could be an excuse to give the disc a run.

Well I'd definitely recommend it. I'll be playing tomorrow evening (before Raiding in Destiny) and Sunday evening.

I'm up to level 17, that takes about 2 sittings of about 2.5 hours each or thereabouts

Well I'd definitely recommend it. I'll be playing tomorrow evening (before Raiding in Destiny) and Sunday evening.

I'm up to level 17, that takes about 2 sittings of about 2.5 hours each or thereabouts

Ah it's a great game to be sure. Had it on PS3. Can't recall how far into it I actually got though.

Ah it's a great game to be sure. Had it on PS3. Can't recall how far into it I actually got though.

Your characters transfer, just log into PS3 and do the Cross-Save thing.... pick up where you left off

Your characters transfer, just log into PS3 and do the Cross-Save thing.... pick up where you left off

That'll be an unfortunate impossibility due to it being wiped and sold.

That'll be an unfortunate impossibility due to it being wiped and sold.

I started again from scratch due to changing X-BOX -> PS4
    Didn't really bother me, it's still fun plus it's all about the bantz (as Cal would say)
    Anyway, if you decide to break your BL2 duck again message me on PSN and I'll add ya to the chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Rereading WoT atm myself. Really like the series, but like ASoIaF the later books are a bit of a ramble and have been pretty obviously split due to reaching an arbitrary word count. At least it got finished with the last 3 volumes published after Robert Jordans death like you say.

• Speaking of the Wheel of Time.
    There was a god awful pilot made for it last year or maybe the year before. Aired in the US around 2am, the whole thing seems like an attempt to keep hold of the rights to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Speaking of the Wheel of Time.
    There was a god awful pilot made for it last year or maybe the year before. Aired in the US around 2am, the whole thing seems like an attempt to keep hold of the rights to it.

Spot on. Harriet McDougal was livid according to reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Read LOTR for the first time when I was around 12 and was hooked. Haven't read a lot of this genre but The Dragonlance Chronicles is probably my favourite. Also quite like the Black Magician Triology, so much so I never read the sequel.

Rereading WoT atm myself. Really like the series, but like ASoIaF the later books are a bit of a ramble and have been pretty obviously split due to reaching an arbitrary word count. At least it got finished with the last 3 volumes published after Robert Jordans death like you say.

Think it was book 9 or 10 that annoyed me the most - from what I can remember absolutely nothing of real significance happens until the last 20 pages; and even then it barely happens within that book - it is simply setting up a nice plot point/arc for the next one.

I did like the last few by Sanderson though, thought he did a good job. Maybe a little too abrupt but a good job.

My biggest problem was just tryign to remember the characters when a new book came out. There are just SO MANY that it was too hard for me to remember. Was constantly thinking "I think i remember that name, who the feck are they are what scheme are they running... fook... where's the laptop...."

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Read LOTR for the first time when I was around 12 and was hooked. Haven't read a lot of this genre but The Dragonlance Chronicles is probably my favourite. Also quite like the Black Magician Triology, so much so I never read the sequel.

Black magician is another fine read indeed.

Anyone been reading the Kingkiller Chronicles? Wish he'd release the final book already.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Black magician is another fine read indeed.

Anyone been reading the Kingkiller Chronicles? Wish he'd release the final book already.

Eh.... it was grand.... bit of a reek of a kind of Twilight/Hunger Games Tween vibe to the latter chapters of book 3 though. I'll say no more, but ye know what i mean

David Eddings Redemption of Athulus is a good "One and done" book (as in it's a once off an not part of his other series)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

Narcos
    The expanse
    Leftovers
    Fear the walking dead is ok
    the shannara chronicles

Mentioned Key and Peele a few pages back.... this is one myself and the missus often find ourselves quoting :pac:

• Advertisement

• Any of my Playstation compatriots get a 1 day PS Plus extension?

Advertisement