Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N86 - Tralee to Dingle [advance works ongoing for Phase 3]

• 18-11-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/an-bord-pleanala-gives-go-ahead-to-e70-million-upgrade-of-main-dingle-tralee-road/

I couldn't see a thread on this forum already but good news this week on the go ahead given by ABP to the improvement of the N86 between Tralee (from Camp) and Dingle (28kms). There is already an improved short section near Annascaul that gives a flavour of how impressive, safe and attractive the new route will be for all road users (with dedicated paths for cyclists/walkers). It will also make Dingle far more accessible to the rest of Ireland. Delighted to hear this news!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wish they did the other road from Castlemaine to dingle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wish they did the other road from Castlemaine to dingle
    its not a national road so isnt a priority.

even some cat eyes in the road would make a huge difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

€70 million on a road improvement out to a small town on a peninsula is a total joke, especially after the huge investment on the Tralee by-pass, another project which was never essential, and went €46 million OVER the original €26 million budget!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

A profoundly ridiculous and flawed scheme especially the cycling component. They are planning to drive 28m wide corridor the length of the Dingle peninsula. Hopefully somebody may yet get sense and turn off the money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's no doubt that the N86 needs improvement but what is the likely time line of this scheme? I presume it's to straighten and widen the existing route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

As a Kerry person, this is great but there are projects not a million miles away that are far more in need..Macroom and Adare by passes for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The section from Annascaul to Lispole badly needs some work and there are a few death trap bends in Lougher too but I think the new section east of Annascaul is too wide and too instrusive. There's hardly a need for bicycle lanes on both sides? and even then there seems to be a lot of extra land taken beyond that. Is it certain that the new section will be a carbon copy of it or is that to be decided yet?
    Also there's still a 7 or 8 week period of appeal before the permission becomes final and I'd say there's a good chance someone might lodge an objection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

Seems like a lot of money for a 'relatively' quiet road.

BUT - I presume that this is part of the Wild Atlantic Way scheme.....

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Kevwoody wrote: »
    €70 million on a road improvement out to a small town on a peninsula is a total joke, especially after the huge investment on the Tralee by-pass, another project which was never essential, and went €46 million OVER the original €26 million budget!

Yes, but it's not just any random small town. Dingle is a premier tourist town as is the entire peninsula that gets 100Ks of tourists each year and the current road infrastructure is very poor for the volumes of buses/coaches/traffic it carries.

I agree with other poster however, who said Macroom or Adare should have been given priority before this, Tralee and Castleisland bypasses.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, but it's not just any random small town. Dingle is a premier tourist town as is the entire peninsula that gets 100Ks of tourists each year and the current road infrastructure is very poor for the volumes of buses/coaches/traffic it carries.

I agree with other poster however, who said Macroom or Adare should have been given priority before this, Tralee and Castleisland bypasses.

Agree totally with all - but would add that the Inch- Castlemaine road is going to seem like a goat track by comparison. It carries a large amount of the summer traffic, esp to/from Killarney but is quiet in winter.

Macroom is a nightmare and should be at the head of any list of schemes. Adare could have been done by now but is back in the queue. It should be an easy enough road to build though if/when a route is agreed.

Sadly neither is likely to be built in the very near future :(

blindsider wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of money for a 'relatively' quiet road.

BUT - I presume that this is part of the Wild Atlantic Way scheme.....

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/route

Annascaul to Dingle is not a quiet road by any stretch of the imagination.

The WAW(S) needs to be upgraded too from Inch to Castlemaine to Farranfore

Several pieces on Radio na Gaeltachta and on media by Brendan Griffin saying that the scheme will start with 2 sections - Lispole to Ballynasare (getting rid of the hairpin bend at Banoge) and Camp to Mountoven.
    The Camp section isn't bad at all and has been widened a lot in recent years. You'd imagine the bridge over the Finglas river would be a bigger priority.
    This would suggest the road will be done in small sections until eventually they all link up, like sections of a jigsaw.
    Was at a function in Annascaul yesterday and folk from Camp said route had been selected (they described it in great detail including what houses would be demolished etc? ) and owners compensated but some from Annascaul said no money had been paid to them but the route was more or less known. I couldn't imagine any money has been paid yet since approval only came a few weeks ago but people talk etc etc :rolleyes:
    All sounds very confused. I get the feeling this thread will run for many years .........

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

lottpaul wrote: »
    Several pieces on Radio na Gaeltachta and on media by Brendan Griffin saying that the scheme will start with 2 sections - Lispole to Ballynasare (getting rid of the hairpin bend at Banoge) and Camp to Mountoven.
    The Camp section isn't bad at all and has been widened a lot in recent years. You'd imagine the bridge over the Finglas river would be a bigger priority.
    This would suggest the road will be done in small sections until eventually they all link up, like sections of a jigsaw.
    Was at a function in Annascaul yesterday and folk from Camp said route had been selected (they described it in great detail including what houses would be demolished etc? ) and owners compensated but some from Annascaul said no money had been paid to them but the route was more or less known. I couldn't imagine any money has been paid yet since approval only came a few weeks ago but people talk etc etc :rolleyes:
    All sounds very confused. I get the feeling this thread will run for many years .........

There might be 2 sides to the spending money, One to CPO the land and houses, and the other to actually build the road.
    For the M11 Arklow to Rathnew scheme that's getting built now, the land was bought at the top of the market 6-7 years ago, and several houses knocked, but the road only started getting built a year and a bit ago.

Raidio na G reporting that An Taisce is seeking a judicial review against An Bord Pleanala etc re the granting of permission for the N86 improvements. Local councillor Seamus Cosai Fitzgerald giving interview on Saol o Dheas now saying the 2 initial phases will be "put back" but no idea for how long.

Having travelled the road Sunday evening in near non visibility due to the driving rain, this needs to be done. Some dangerous bends outside of Annascaul. But I agree that the road doesnt require so much land like the annascaul section did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Raidio na G reporting that An Taisce is seeking a judicial review against the NRA etc re the granting of permission for the N86 improvements. Local councillor Seamus Cosai Fitzgerald giving interview on Saol o Dheas now saying the 2 initial phases will be "put back" but no idea for how long.

The case is due to be in court in March.

• Advertisement

What the hell are on Taisce doing? Its a main national route that will improve transport links to the Dingle Peninsula!? The upgrade of Annascaul hasnt done that much damage that I could see. Its improved road visibility and even the views around it are more accessible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

What the hell are on Taisce doing? Its a main national route that will improve transport links to the Dingle Peninsula!? The upgrade of Annascaul hasnt done that much damage that I could see. Its improved road visibility and even the views around it are more accessible!

This is the second time that this scheme has been judicially reviewed. Kerry County Council challenged an earlier decision by An Bord Pleanála in Sep 2013 to refuse the same scheme. That challenge resulted in the Board’s decision being quashed and remitted to the Board in April 2014. On revisiting the same scheme again, this time the Board granted permission and this latest decision is now under challenge by An Taisce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anyone know the reasons behind the objections. Is this improvement going all the way to Dingle as well?

jank wrote: »
    Anyone know the reasons behind the objections. Is this improvement going all the way to Dingle as well?

The final scheme is to be from Dingle to Camp but there's very little discussion of Lispole to Dingle yet.

Listened to Cllr Michael O'Shea on Radio Kerry.
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/public-meeting-to-be-held-to-discuss-n86-next-month/
    He was seething and said the An Taisce objection was down to "one person living in Dublin". The objection seems to be against the original env impact survey, including for the completed section near Annascaul. It's all a bit murky, esp as An Taisce havent given any interviews etc yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The final scheme is to be from Dingle to Camp but there's very little discussion of Lispole to Dingle yet.

Listened to Cllr Michael O'Shea on Radio Kerry.
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/public-meeting-to-be-held-to-discuss-n86-next-month/
    He was seething and said the An Taisce objection was down to "one person living in Dublin". The objection seems to be against the original env impact survey, including for the completed section near Annascaul. It's all a bit murky, esp as An Taisce havent given any interviews etc yet.
    Interview in full here: http://media.radiokerry.ie/mediamanager/embed/player/podcasts/9/item/34198

Brendan Griffin just announced on Facebook that he had secured the funding for this scheme.
    He said to send emails to info@antaisce.org to get them to reconsider

Has anyone heard anymore about the case brought before the courts? I've asked the TD on facebook/twitter but got no response.

Nothing can be done until the court appeal is heard next month etc but finance is ready to be rolled out if the project gets a final go ahead

I thought that court appeal already happened, did it get re-scheduled? Having looked at the plans, and having travelled the road extensively I dont see why an Taisce would block it, the scenery of the route wont be impacted, in fact I'd say it would allow greater visibility and safety on the route.

Recently I saw the KCC out filling in potholes - and already the road is tearing up again, with the already high volume of traffic on it, it will only get worse over the summer!

• Advertisement

The commercial court has dismissed the case brought by an taisce

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153714169566934&substory_index=0&id=545556933

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A hearing to determine if An Taisce will be granted permission to appeal a ruling relating to a west Kerry road scheme will be heard next month.
    The National Trust for Ireland announced it plans to appeal a ruling handed down in the Commercial Court.
    The 65 million euro scheme in West Kerry, which seeks to straighten and improve the road from Dingle to Annascaul and from Gortbreagoge to Camp.
    On October 7th Mr Justice Robert Haughton dismissed the legal challenge taken by An Taisce at the High Court.
    The group sought to have a decision by An Bord Pleanala, granting permission for the scheme, quashed.
    An Taisce now intends to pursue its case to the Court of Appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

marno21 wrote: »
    A hearing to determine if An Taisce will be granted permission to appeal a ruling relating to a west Kerry road scheme will be heard next month.
    The National Trust for Ireland announced it plans to appeal a ruling handed down in the Commercial Court.
    The 65 million euro scheme in West Kerry, which seeks to straighten and improve the road from Dingle to Annascaul and from Gortbreagoge to Camp.
    On October 7th Mr Justice Robert Haughton dismissed the legal challenge taken by An Taisce at the High Court.
    The group sought to have a decision by An Bord Pleanala, granting permission for the scheme, quashed.
    An Taisce now intends to pursue its case to the Court of Appeal.

They really aren't giving up on this one are they?!

An Taisce are a joke, the entire population of the Dingle Peninsula want this to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An Taisce are a joke, the entire population of the Dingle Peninsula want this to go ahead.
    Ah sure, they don't matter, it's only their lives at risk on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I swear, if this doesn't get the go ahead or is delayed further,the blood of any future fatality victim caused by the dangerous state of that road is on An Taisce's hands.

It galls me that these ivory tower fat cats living 100s of kms away can object to the potential injury to the visual amenity that they most likely have never even visited or other such vexatious reason. The recently improved stretch near Annascaul with bike/pedestrian lanes and new hard and soft landscaping is so much more attractive now and opens up the beautiful vista to all travelers of that road instead of the ugly ditches and narrow bumpy road and bends that were there previously.

I agree the Annascaul road has made driving that stretch a pleasure!

Surprising this wasn't included in the Government's Capital Investment plan seeing as two N56 schemes were

An Taisce denied leave to appeal

Hope that this means the road improvements can now proceed. Cllr Cosaí Fitzgerald from Dingle was on Raidio na Gaeltachta and Radio Kerry this morning and said that if things move smoothly he'd expect work to start this summer. Sounds optimistic -but I don't know how these things work.

But he was asked whether An Taisce would have the option of an appeal to some European authority? He didn't know but if the money is from EU funding thats always a possibility I suppose?

No one from An Taisce was available for comment this morning according to Radio Kerry.

• Advertisement

An Taisce spokesman Charles Stanley Smith on Radio Kerry this morning - says this is the end of the line for them as far as the Irish courts go but also mentioned that the EU would have an interest and would be watching closely.
    Also mentioned that their legal costs would be very low as their legal team took the case pro-bono.

(Personal peeve -- he referred to the roads etc "on the Dingle" - meaning the peninsula I presume. It grates with me and I have heard it a bit in recent times. Not sure where it started but I don't live "on the Dingle" and have no wish to. West Kerry/Corca Dhuibhne/Dingle Peninsula would all be fine. Rant over. Out to collect holly before the next storm arrives... :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

An Taisce spokesman Charles Stanley Smith on Radio Kerry this morning - says this is the end of the line for them as far as the Irish courts go but also mentioned that the EU would have an interest and would be watching closely.

In plain English, we have no case under EU law but, but, but, blah, blah, blah! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

An Taisce have been annoying a lot of people this year. Trying to block Star Wars film on Skellig Michael and this road delay really annoyed me personally. When i hear the word An Taisce I just sigh at this stage. There job is to preserve and protect Irish heritage but also to promote it. Blocking this road was a ridiculous waste of their time. And they put a serious amount of noses out of joint with pointless appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 neiljung

Press Release up on dttas.ie, can't post link I'm afraid. Is this funding for the entire scheme as opposed to the 2 further sections that were announced about a year ago?

Monday 4 January 2016

The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe TD, has welcomed the decision by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) to allocate funding of €3.8 million for the upgrade of the N86 Dingle to Annascaul and Gortbreagoge to Camp Road sections of the N86, which will include a cycleway, road widening and improved pedestrian facilities.

The N86 Dingle to Annascaul and Gortbreagoge to Camp Road Improvement Scheme comprises two sections; Dingle to Annascaul which is 16.5km in length and Gortbreagoge to Camp which is 11.5km. The scheme includes a total of 24.1km of on-line widening, 2.3km of off-line widening and 1.6km of pavement improvement through the villages of Lispole, Annascaul and Camp. The road development comprises the improvement of the existing road, with 3.0m wide carriageway and 0.5m wide hard strip in each direction. It will also include a pedestrian/cycle facility on one or both sides.

Minister Donohoe said: ‘Getting to this stage in the decision making process in respect of the N86 in Kerry has taken many years. There have been many legal challenges taken during that time, with the project unable to be progressed. I am satisfied now with the outcome and with TII’s decision to make funding of almost €4 million available for works to be carried out’.

“The upgrading of theses sections of road, with the inclusion of a cycleway and improved pedestrian facilities, will enhance safety on this stretch for all road users, encourage greater tourist activity in the area, provide a valuable local amenity and add to regional connectivity. I am glad that this matter has finally been brought to conclusion and that works can commence at last on making this road safer and a better resource for everyone who uses it.”

Ends

neiljung wrote: »
    Press Release up on dttas.ie, can't post link I'm afraid. Is this funding for the entire scheme as opposed to the 2 further sections that were announced about a year ago?

According to local radio and councillors this money seems to be just for a few very short sections near Garrynadur pub outside Lispole and in/near Camp village. What exactly it's to be used for I'm not sure. Both of these are to be totally new alignments so perhaps its for some clearance work etc? If so, nothing will happen for a while. Ground is not flooded but is so wet you'd hardly walk on it, much less send in machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 neiljung

Those sections were announced last year alright, see below, but today's press release references the complete 28 km non-upgraded length between Dingle and Camp.

N86 Lispole to Mountoven (Section of Tralee to Dingle/Daingean Uí Chúis)

The existing N86 road from Lispole Village to Ballynasare Lower and from Mountoven to Camp is deficient in terms of cross section and horizontal and vertical alignment. There are also a number of junctions along the scheme which are substandard in terms of geometry and visibility.

The proposed N86 Lispole Village to Ballynasare Lower & Mountoven to Camp scheme is 5.1km in length and is made up of two sections as follows:

The proposed improvements will significantly improve safety for all road users and also improve road users’ connectivity to existing facilities in Lispole Village and Camp Village.

The removal of the hairpin bend after Lispole (coming from Dingle) will be great. Pretty much a straight road up to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Is this any closer to getting started?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Theres a good scheme map on kerry county council but i cant post a link. It shows all the CPO maps of the route.
    Its a pdf file about 25550kb in the Roads section of the site. N86 annascaul to gortbregoge..

• Advertisement
Advertisement