Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N86 - Tralee to Dingle [advance works ongoing for Phase 3]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A hearing to determine if An Taisce will be granted permission to appeal a ruling relating to a west Kerry road scheme will be heard next month.
    The National Trust for Ireland announced it plans to appeal a ruling handed down in the Commercial Court.
    The 65 million euro scheme in West Kerry, which seeks to straighten and improve the road from Dingle to Annascaul and from Gortbreagoge to Camp.
    On October 7th Mr Justice Robert Haughton dismissed the legal challenge taken by An Taisce at the High Court.
    The group sought to have a decision by An Bord Pleanala, granting permission for the scheme, quashed.
    An Taisce now intends to pursue its case to the Court of Appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

marno21 wrote: »
    A hearing to determine if An Taisce will be granted permission to appeal a ruling relating to a west Kerry road scheme will be heard next month.
    The National Trust for Ireland announced it plans to appeal a ruling handed down in the Commercial Court.
    The 65 million euro scheme in West Kerry, which seeks to straighten and improve the road from Dingle to Annascaul and from Gortbreagoge to Camp.
    On October 7th Mr Justice Robert Haughton dismissed the legal challenge taken by An Taisce at the High Court.
    The group sought to have a decision by An Bord Pleanala, granting permission for the scheme, quashed.
    An Taisce now intends to pursue its case to the Court of Appeal.

They really aren't giving up on this one are they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

An Taisce are a joke, the entire population of the Dingle Peninsula want this to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mc Love wrote: »
    An Taisce are a joke, the entire population of the Dingle Peninsula want this to go ahead.
    Ah sure, they don't matter, it's only their lives at risk on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I swear, if this doesn't get the go ahead or is delayed further,the blood of any future fatality victim caused by the dangerous state of that road is on An Taisce's hands.

It galls me that these ivory tower fat cats living 100s of kms away can object to the potential injury to the visual amenity that they most likely have never even visited or other such vexatious reason. The recently improved stretch near Annascaul with bike/pedestrian lanes and new hard and soft landscaping is so much more attractive now and opens up the beautiful vista to all travelers of that road instead of the ugly ditches and narrow bumpy road and bends that were there previously.

I agree the Annascaul road has made driving that stretch a pleasure!

Surprising this wasn't included in the Government's Capital Investment plan seeing as two N56 schemes were

An Taisce denied leave to appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hope that this means the road improvements can now proceed. Cllr Cosaí Fitzgerald from Dingle was on Raidio na Gaeltachta and Radio Kerry this morning and said that if things move smoothly he'd expect work to start this summer. Sounds optimistic -but I don't know how these things work.

But he was asked whether An Taisce would have the option of an appeal to some European authority? He didn't know but if the money is from EU funding thats always a possibility I suppose?

No one from An Taisce was available for comment this morning according to Radio Kerry.

• Advertisement

An Taisce spokesman Charles Stanley Smith on Radio Kerry this morning - says this is the end of the line for them as far as the Irish courts go but also mentioned that the EU would have an interest and would be watching closely.
    Also mentioned that their legal costs would be very low as their legal team took the case pro-bono.

(Personal peeve -- he referred to the roads etc "on the Dingle" - meaning the peninsula I presume. It grates with me and I have heard it a bit in recent times. Not sure where it started but I don't live "on the Dingle" and have no wish to. West Kerry/Corca Dhuibhne/Dingle Peninsula would all be fine. Rant over. Out to collect holly before the next storm arrives... :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

lottpaul wrote: »
    An Taisce spokesman Charles Stanley Smith on Radio Kerry this morning - says this is the end of the line for them as far as the Irish courts go but also mentioned that the EU would have an interest and would be watching closely.

In plain English, we have no case under EU law but, but, but, blah, blah, blah! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

An Taisce have been annoying a lot of people this year. Trying to block Star Wars film on Skellig Michael and this road delay really annoyed me personally. When i hear the word An Taisce I just sigh at this stage. There job is to preserve and protect Irish heritage but also to promote it. Blocking this road was a ridiculous waste of their time. And they put a serious amount of noses out of joint with pointless appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neiljung

Press Release up on dttas.ie, can't post link I'm afraid. Is this funding for the entire scheme as opposed to the 2 further sections that were announced about a year ago?

Monday 4 January 2016

The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe TD, has welcomed the decision by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) to allocate funding of €3.8 million for the upgrade of the N86 Dingle to Annascaul and Gortbreagoge to Camp Road sections of the N86, which will include a cycleway, road widening and improved pedestrian facilities.

The N86 Dingle to Annascaul and Gortbreagoge to Camp Road Improvement Scheme comprises two sections; Dingle to Annascaul which is 16.5km in length and Gortbreagoge to Camp which is 11.5km. The scheme includes a total of 24.1km of on-line widening, 2.3km of off-line widening and 1.6km of pavement improvement through the villages of Lispole, Annascaul and Camp. The road development comprises the improvement of the existing road, with 3.0m wide carriageway and 0.5m wide hard strip in each direction. It will also include a pedestrian/cycle facility on one or both sides.

Minister Donohoe said: ‘Getting to this stage in the decision making process in respect of the N86 in Kerry has taken many years. There have been many legal challenges taken during that time, with the project unable to be progressed. I am satisfied now with the outcome and with TII’s decision to make funding of almost €4 million available for works to be carried out’.

“The upgrading of theses sections of road, with the inclusion of a cycleway and improved pedestrian facilities, will enhance safety on this stretch for all road users, encourage greater tourist activity in the area, provide a valuable local amenity and add to regional connectivity. I am glad that this matter has finally been brought to conclusion and that works can commence at last on making this road safer and a better resource for everyone who uses it.”

Ends

neiljung wrote: »
    Press Release up on dttas.ie, can't post link I'm afraid. Is this funding for the entire scheme as opposed to the 2 further sections that were announced about a year ago?

According to local radio and councillors this money seems to be just for a few very short sections near Garrynadur pub outside Lispole and in/near Camp village. What exactly it's to be used for I'm not sure. Both of these are to be totally new alignments so perhaps its for some clearance work etc? If so, nothing will happen for a while. Ground is not flooded but is so wet you'd hardly walk on it, much less send in machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neiljung

Those sections were announced last year alright, see below, but today's press release references the complete 28 km non-upgraded length between Dingle and Camp.

N86 Lispole to Mountoven (Section of Tralee to Dingle/Daingean Uí Chúis)

The existing N86 road from Lispole Village to Ballynasare Lower and from Mountoven to Camp is deficient in terms of cross section and horizontal and vertical alignment. There are also a number of junctions along the scheme which are substandard in terms of geometry and visibility.

The proposed N86 Lispole Village to Ballynasare Lower & Mountoven to Camp scheme is 5.1km in length and is made up of two sections as follows:

The proposed improvements will significantly improve safety for all road users and also improve road users’ connectivity to existing facilities in Lispole Village and Camp Village.

The removal of the hairpin bend after Lispole (coming from Dingle) will be great. Pretty much a straight road up to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Is this any closer to getting started?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Theres a good scheme map on kerry county council but i cant post a link. It shows all the CPO maps of the route.
    Its a pdf file about 25550kb in the Roads section of the site. N86 annascaul to gortbregoge..

• Advertisement

Road between Camp and Maumnahalatora is in bits. The council really need to address that section

Road between Camp and Maumnahalatora is in bits. The council really need to address that section

Agree 100%. From the top of Gleann na Galt towards Camp is in tatters and will only get worse after the rain/sleet etc of the last week :(

They must have been out recently as most of the pot holes have been patched up ahead of the summer season.

I doubt they'll start this in the summer as it would damage tourism in the area.

Tender has gone out this morning for construction of a approx. 4km section of this project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=98415&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

A 2.7km section east of Lispole and a 1.3km section in and around Camp.

€10.5m is the cost of the 4km section including 1.15km offline around Camp.

According to Radio Kerry, work will begin in July of this year and should be complete by January 2018
    Kerry County Council has today published the tender notice for the construction of the N86 Lispole to Ballynasare Lower and Ballygarret to Camp Road Improvement Scheme.

The scheme, approximately 4km in length on the main Tralee-Dingle road, is the first phase of the construction of the N86 Dingle to Annascaul and Gortbreagoge to Camp Road Improvement Scheme.

The road project – on the main artery into and out of the Dingle Peninsula – was approved by An Bord Pleanála in November 2014, but was delayed due to a legal challenge by An Taisce.

Following the conclusion of High Court proceedings last December, Transport Infrastructure Ireland announced funding of €4 million to facilitate land acquisition and construction of the scheme.

It is expected construction of the Lispole to Baile na Saoir Lower and Ballygarret to Camp scheme will begin this July – taking approximately 18 months to complete.

The scheme includes a cycleway/pedestrian facility and will be consistent with the recently improved section on the N86 between Annascaul and Gortbreagoge.

It is expected, subject to availability of funding, construction of the remainder of this scheme will be progressed in a number of phases over the coming years.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/work-on-first-phase-of-tralee-dingle-road-improvement-scheme-to-start-in-july/

Anyone think its bad planning starting in the middle of the tourist season?

Will only be preliminary work starting in July.

And with all things, this won't start on time either so may as well say July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Its to last 18 months, so it'll hit a tourist season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

marno21 wrote: »
    According to Radio Kerry, work will begin in July of this year and should be complete by January 2018

Bearing mind this is only two small stretches totalling 4kms. This suggests the entire proposed improvements of 28kms won't be completed until sometime in the 2020s.

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Bearing mind this is only two small stretches totalling 4kms. This suggests the entire proposed improvements of 28kms won't be completed until sometime in the 2020s.

As this is mostly online, that would be the best idea. Imagine all the stop go systems in place if the whole thing was done at once.

Advertisement