Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple things you can't do/don't understand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

I can't throw with my left hand.... Right hand is fine I can throw a ball for the dog, skim a stone across the top of the water.

Left hand throw just ends up looking like a clumsy mess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭blackbox

Facebook

Everything about it is a mystery. The fact that I can't see any value in it kind of demotivates me from trying to figure how it works and what the jargon means.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Can't throw darts to save my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

1. I can't reverse a single axle trailer.

2. I can't tell the difference between Tom Sizemore and Michael Madsen.

In my life thus far, 1. has caused me much more annoyance and embarrassment than 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I can't pronounce words ending in "ularly" properly, so like "regularly", "particularly"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Up until recently, I didn't know the difference between V and W. I used to put in Ws for Vs when saying some words. Especially if it's the first letter. Wiolet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Peregrine wrote: »
    Up until recently, I didn't know the difference between V and W. I used to put in Ws for Vs in some words. Especially if it's the first letter. Wiolet etc.
    Do you come from a central or East European country or something like that?

Quite common to confuse them in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Up until recently, I didn't know the difference between V and W. I used to put in Ws for Vs in some words. Especially if it's the first letter. Wiolet etc.

Perhaps you're of German descent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't know how to do loads of stuff car-related.

I wouldn't know when or how to change the oil.
    How am I meant to know when that's supposed to be done?
    I don't know how to change the washer fluid....or where the compartment is.

I don't know how to pop the bonnet open or where my fog lights are.
    I shouldn't really be on the roads, I suppose, but my other half takes care of all that.

I rarely get petrol (he does) and when I do, I make sure I drive up to the pump on the correct side and I often have trouble closing the petrol cap.
    You have to use a key and turn it at the same time and sometimes I can't close it.

I often wonder how I passed my driving test first time.
    If I resat it, I'd fail miserably.
    I've never driven on the M50 in my 8 years of driving.

I can't find my way around most of Dublin.
    I once asked a guy (while on Trinity Street): "Which way do I go for Grafton Street?", to which he replied: "Are you Irish?!".

I can't get my head around Blanchardstown being on the Northside; somehow I've always thought it was on the Southside.

I cannot cook steak; it's always tough. My other half is fab at cooking steak.

I can't whistle. I can't swim. I can't change a plug. I wouldn't know how to put up shelves.

All in all, I'm hopeless!

Disclaimer: I am female.

osarusan wrote: »
    Do you come from a central or East European country or something like that?

Quite common to confuse them in that case.
    Medusa22 wrote: »
    Perhaps you're of German descent ;)

Neither but English wasn't my first language. I guess that little piece of basic pronunciation got left behind somewhere along my learning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I don't understand people who suffer from premature ejac.........nevermind......
    That's easy, it's all in the mind just think you are doing something else or else choke the turkey beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

I can't blow a bubble with chewing gum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

cgill wrote: »
    I can't blow a bubble with chewing gum.

That's cos you're meant to blow bubbles with bubble gum.

Hehe, I nearly typed "...you're meant to blow Buble's". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Colser wrote: »
    Well I dont do that and no prob with parking spaces but if I meet a car and we cant pass each other I will sit it out and act the brazen bitch but in reality Im ashamed of my zig zag reversing.:pac:
    Fair play to you for admitting it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

fussyonion wrote:
    That's cos you're meant to blow bubbles with bubble gum.

Whoops meant to type bubble gum, can't do it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

I can't tie someone else's tie or shoe laces from the front

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Zymurgist wrote: »
    I can't throw with my left hand.... Right hand is fine I can throw a ball for the dog, skim a stone across the top of the water.

Left hand throw just ends up looking like a clumsy mess
    I can skim a stone but if I just go to throw a stone in the water it usually ends up behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

fussyonion wrote: »

I can't get my head around Blanchardstown being on the Northside;

It's not. It's West Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I can't understand how I've eaten so much shíte and drank so much over the last week or so and I've not felt ill once!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Putting the duvet in the duvet cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

wyndham wrote: »
    It's not. It's West Dublin.

Every part of mainland Dublin is northside or southside of the Liffey. Even West Dublin is divided..

koolis02 wrote: »
    Putting the duvet in the duvet cover

I often end up going inside the duvet cover trying to fix the corners.

My last full-body expedition into a duvet cover lasted 10-15 gruelling minutes.

I often end up going inside the duvet cover trying to fix the corners.

Is that not what everyone does? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I have absolutely terrible spatial awareness and find it difficult telling my left from my right so driving with me is always an experience :P

I also have no tickles. Anywhere. People find that weird :(

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Find something on Irish TV channels to watch this Christmas that is acceptable for our kids and ourselves (that isn't a film)

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I also have no tickles. Anywhere. People find that weird :(

I have the worst tickles, Christ hate it, if someone tries to tickle me it's like I'm having some kind of seizure trying to wiggle out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I cannot raise just one eyebrow. It's neither or both - if I try to look quizzical it comes out as surprised or alarmed instead.

My Roger Moore impersonations have suffered terribly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭starry_eyed

I shouldn't really be on the roads, I suppose, but my other half takes care of all that.

I rarely get petrol (he does) and when I do, I make sure I drive up to the pump on the correct side and I often have trouble closing the petrol cap.
    You have to use a key and turn it at the same time and sometimes I can't close it.

I once asked a guy (while on Trinity Street): "Which way do I go for Grafton Street?", to which he replied: "Are you Irish?!".

I can't get my head around Blanchardstown being on the Northside; somehow I've always thought it was on the Southside.

I can't whistle. I can't swim. I can't change a plug. I wouldn't know how to put up shelves.

It'll be in your car manual in the glovebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Great post 😆😆
    None of us are perfect. If your OH gives you as much credit as you give him, happy days..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I never let the oil heat up much before I fry eggs and it's always been fine... But now that I know, if I don't do it I'll mess it up. :pac:

I can't draw at all. I'm actually smart and very good at the things I am good at, but I still draw stick people. I have a really sharp memory for things I've read, very visual like, but if I'm not looking at an image I find it hard to picture it in any real detail. The other day I was thinking of swastikas of all things (no idea why) and realised that if I were asked to draw one, I wouldn't know how! I'm just thankful it's not really a necessary skill to be able to draw, people always think I'm taking the piss :P

Advertisement