Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple things you can't do/don't understand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Salad. I just don't understand salad as a concept. Like, if I try to make it, I just end up throwing a load of chopped veg in a bowl and it looks awful. I don't really know how to go about eating it - I end up with a mouthful of lettuce, which is horrible - and I can't really pick it properly on a fork. And I don't get how people have salad as a meal, cause if I manage to make/eat it, it doesn't fill me, I'm starving again a few minutes later.

You really need a decent dressing to make a salad taste nice, which obviously makes it a bit less healthy but whatever. Don't just have ingredients with the same taste unless you're just having a small salad with something else. Lettuce, even different varieties of lettuce isn't that interesting flavour wise. Mix in some sweet peppers, tomatoes etc. Personally I tend to make salads (usually with chicken breast as a meal but sometimes just as a small side dish) with a dressing made from extra virgin olive oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a large spoon of wholegrain mustard & some chilli flakes. I also find tearing leaves up a bit smaller (so you don't get a massive piece of lettuce leaf & nothing else as a mouthful) helps to make the flavour more varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I can't tie a tie.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Ask dad to tie this for me.

I'm 31

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I can't tie a tie.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Ask dad to tie this for me.

I'm 31

Myself and Mam are the only ones in the house who can tie a tie

Dad, brother, brother in law and occasionally cousins all looking for ties

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Driving!! Can get the car to move, but all those little details and habits you have to adopt... I'm in awe of anyone who does it so effortlessly. I've had 2 instructors tell me kindly that I don't understand mechanics, or something... Still soldiering on!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Long division

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I first met one of my closest friends when we were both little kids back in 197*ahem* when I taught him how to knot a tie and he showed me how to tie my laces.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

The offside rule.

I am a man.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Oh the babyliss curl? I have that too! I can't use it on myself either but luckily my OH is a girl and I can persuade her to curl my hair for me every once in a while :D I can't for the life of me do GHD curls or use a wand or anything like that, my only hope was the curler that does it for you and I can't even use that myself :pac:

The only thing I can do with my hair is straighten it, I'm hopeless at anything else.

I don't understand hair that doesn't belong to my head. A friend of mine owns a business that invented a night curler hair thing, he can talk for hours about hair now.
    When I'm blow drying my daughters hair it seems to get more tangled as I do it. She has straight hair that I magically make curly.

I also can't tie a tie, or tie shoe laces properly, I have my own way of doing them, but they are not correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

I can't eat food on public transport. I just can't do it. It's comparable to me to being naked In pilibluc or something, it's just so vulgar and rude and attention seeking. Why do people do it? There's a girl beside me now on the bus hamming into a pack of cheese and union crisps. it's smelly and loud and gross and the bus stinks cheesy and oniony now. Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

tomthetank wrote: »
    it's just so vulgar and rude and attention seeking.

:confused: Eating anywhere that isn't in the privacy of your own home is attention seeking?

• Advertisement

:confused: Eating anywhere that isn't in the privacy of your own home is attention seeking?

Course not. Nobody said that.

Eating on public transport isn't nice though, it's not a restaurant or a space where you can get away from the smell/noise etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If anything, this thread has made me feel better about myself.

I can eat using a knife with my right hand and a fork with the left simultaneously.

I can tell the time and tell right from left.

I can tie ties and my shoe laces!

Small victories over life!

But duvets, whistling, the letter V and skates. I can't work 'em.

Candie wrote: »
    Course not. Nobody said that.

Eating on public transport isn't nice though, it's not a restaurant or a space where you can get away from the smell/noise etc.

Eating on public transport is vulgar and attention seeking is what the op is saying. How is someone eating a ham sandwich for example attention seeking?

Eating on public transport is vulgar and attention seeking is what the op is saying. How is someone eating a ham sandwich for example attention seeking?

Maybe not attention seeking but definitely really bad manners. Nobody sits on the bus and expects to hear someone chewing away on a sandwich, or smelling their food. That's for open spaces or designated places, not where no one can escape it.

It's not a question of eat in your home or nowhere else, just be considerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I don't understand any kind of Star Wars reference.. I've never seen any of the movies :confused:

Maybe not attention seeking but definitely really bad manners. Nobody sits on the bus and expects to hear someone chewing away on a sandwich, or smelling their food. That's for open spaces or designated places, not where no one can escape it.

I can't fry an egg so who am I to discuss food! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Have you ever been on a long 8+ hour bus journey? Sometimes you have to eat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I don't understand any kind of Star Wars reference.. I've never seen any of the movies :confused:

Just throw a few around to confuse people, the force will be with you, I am your father, let the wookie win, these aren't the droids you're looking for. There you go, covered. Nerds will now love you. :p. I did the same for football. Learn off 2-3 generic phrases and bingo, you're one of the lads. So you guessed it, football is what I can't understand. Or maybe I understand I wrong? Bunch of overpaid prima Donnas kicking an inflated pig's bladder round a field whilst millions of men utterly lose their sh*t and hand over most of their money for a premium sky subscription to watch what used to be free. And that's before spending silly money on made in China nylon outfits to advertise their team of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't know how to do loads of stuff car-related.

I wouldn't know when or how to change the oil.
    How am I meant to know when that's supposed to be done?
    I don't know how to change the washer fluid....or where the compartment is.

I don't know how to pop the bonnet open or where my fog lights are.
    I shouldn't really be on the roads, I suppose, but my other half takes care of all that.

I rarely get petrol (he does) and when I do, I make sure I drive up to the pump on the correct side and I often have trouble closing the petrol cap.
    You have to use a key and turn it at the same time and sometimes I can't close it.

I often wonder how I passed my driving test first time.
    If I resat it, I'd fail miserably.
    I've never driven on the M50 in my 8 years of driving.

I can't find my way around most of Dublin.
    I once asked a guy (while on Trinity Street): "Which way do I go for Grafton Street?", to which he replied: "Are you Irish?!".

I can't get my head around Blanchardstown being on the Northside; somehow I've always thought it was on the Southside.

I cannot cook steak; it's always tough. My other half is fab at cooking steak.

I can't whistle. I can't swim. I can't change a plug. I wouldn't know how to put up shelves.

All in all, I'm hopeless!

Disclaimer: I am female.

The guy you asked directions from is a grade A jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Corkgirl18 wrote: »

Don't worry. I've seen the original 3 and still don't get most of the references

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Tie my shoelaces

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cook an omelette properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Regarding politics, what is left wing, right wing, left centre etc.?

I know I could Google it but I'll get thesis type answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Ive never been able to peel a spud properly. Always end up cutting chunks of the spud off instead of the skin and generally making a bit of a mess.

I'm fairly hopeless at ironing shirts too. Usually create more creases instead of iron them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Pac1Man wrote:
    Regarding politics, what is left wing, right wing, left centre etc.?

Pac1Man wrote:
    I know I could Google it but I'll get thesis type answers.

I've come across these terms recently myself. My understanding is left wing is conservative, liking things as they are. Right wing is more liberal, louder and outspoken on topics like abortion, being pro choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

I cannot reverse my car when my OH is in it with me. I just don't get what he means when he says left hand down lol I cannot get my petrol cap open EVER. I ask whatever man is around. I cannot tell my let from my right when giving directions to other people but I'm OK when I'm on my own.

I don't think I should be let loose in society without a guardian :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I can't cook properly :( I mess up or burn everything.
    Robsweezie wrote: »
    I've come across these terms recently myself. My understanding is left wing is conservative, liking things as they are. Right wing is more liberal, louder and outspoken on topics like abortion, being pro choice.

The opposite. If you're talking about just social policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't understand Facebook. It's purpose and operation just escape me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Robsweezie wrote: »

In a nutshell, it's usually the other way around. Left wing = liberal, right wing = conservative. The most extreme left is communism, the most extreme right is fascism.

But things can get messy in Ireland because some of our parties began when we were part of the UK, so they would be considered left on the UK political spectrum but right on the Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

TrueIt wrote: »
    I can't lick my elbow with my tongue, everyone I know can do it! Am I the only one who cannot?

Fell for it! Well done!
    I just tried and I can't ☺️😜🙈

Advertisement