Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When do you take your Christmas Tree down?

• 28-12-2015 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

I took my tree down yesterday!! Is bad luck going to befall me?!

I am back in work tomorrow until New Year's Eve. I really want to get my house tidy and in order for 2016. So I decided to take my tree down before I go back to work so I can then clean my house from top to bottom on New Year's Day.

What ever works right?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Not till Jan 6th..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It goes up December 8th, comes down January 6th. 'Twas always the way here.

I only have the lights lit up for 10 days at the most.

6th Jan in our house but I would love to put it away now as it feels like Christmas is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

January 6th for me. It stays up right until the end of Christmas.

I remember seeing a tree at the recycling centre last year on the 27th, and I just felt so sad seeing it. I'm hoping there was a good reason because I do find it hard to understand why people take them down so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Between 5th and 6th.
    Winter is long and drab enough. My trees brings a bit of sparkle and fun to my house that I'll keep for as long as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I will take my tree down either Friday or Saturday, didn't even switch the lights on this year as an uncle I was very fond of died on the Monday before Christmas, had to organise his funeral so Christmas was a bit somber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I feel so ashamed!!!

Normally I do leave it up til the 6th.....but for some reason this year the inclination to take it down early just got me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

January 6th for me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

New Year's Day here, by that stage I am so over Christmas and I want every trace of it gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭gidget

6 January. From what i've seen a lot of on fb, the American's mostly were putting up posts saying they were taking trees down on the 26th. Killjoy's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Never before the 6th. I wasn't going to put one up but I did. Personally I really don't understand putting them up really early only to take them down asap. Anything before the 2nd Jan just seems really strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Always Jan 6th.
    Can't understand these eejits who have a tree up in the middle of November and take it down before New Years.

I feel so ashamed!!!

Normally I do leave it up til the 6th.....but for some reason this year the inclination to take it down early just got me

Don't be. At the end of the day, you do what's right for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

I usually take it down before I'm back in work so usually around the 2nd/3rd January. Each to their own but I love the tree even more during those lazy days between Christmas Day and New Year's day. Especially on a dark and dreary day like today. I have my Christmas lights on since 11.30am this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is it bad luck or something to take tree down before the 6th, or is that if you leave it up AFTER 6th!

Is it bad luck or something to take tree down before the 6th, or is that if you leave it up AFTER 6th!

No, it's more the case that the traditional Christmas season runs from Christmas Day Dec 25th to Epiphany Jan 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

appledrop wrote:
    I usually take it down before I'm back in work so usually around the 2nd/3rd January. Each to their own but I love the tree even more during those lazy days between Christmas Day and New Year's day. Especially on a dark and dreary day like today. I have my Christmas lights on since 11.30am this morning!

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

1st or 2nd Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hackme

Already did it yesterday. I only had it for 2 days 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My mam always kept decorations up for a week after the 6th, cause you'd only be more miserable coming home from school with the house bare.

I'll probably take mine down the weekend of the 9th or 10th, busy week in work the week of the 6th, but it might go later depending how lazy I am that weekend :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The 6th. I've only just put up the 'Merry New Year' bunting my sister made for me so the idea of taking decorations down anytime soon feels wrong to me. I'm keeping my mantelpiece lights up for a couple of weeks after the 6th.

Whenever suits yourself. Mine is coming down tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

In around the 6th of January. No real specific date.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Dying to take mine down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I cracked and took everything down yesterday. Our tree was shedding like crazy and had to go. I love the 'clean' feeling from having everything packed away all tidy for next year. I do plan on making a pudding for next Christmas very soon though, as I have loads of dried fruit in the cupboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I was ready to take everything down on the 26th… but noooooo, we have to keep,it up till the 6th :rolleyes:

I'm so over it. I don't even turn the lights on on the tree. I just want to get back to normal. :(

Looking at all these decorations and the tree just makes me depressed. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I love putting the decorations up but could take them down now, just want the house back. Think it has to do with the never ending mess of toys and my hubby being home full time :)

I'm a project person, christmas is the project I work on in October to finish halloween, and my next project is the toddlers room.

Keeping the tree up til the 4th at least so may just leave it til the 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Whatever works is one way of looking at it, but if you ignore the concept of Christmas then it isn't really a Christmas tree but a tree for some festival of your own invention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

When my gf gets sick of looking at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Lights get turned off at midnight on the 6th Jan and all the decorations and tree get taken down the 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We might take ours down this weekend. I've cleared out the sweets and junk already, may as well follow suit with the tree :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I had a friend who once had a st Patrick's party to take down the tree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

On the saddest day of the year.

Hate doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I am back in work 6th, so it either comes down 5th or 7th, I fancy 7th! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We'll probably take ours down on Sunday, simply because we're both back at work on Monday and its easier to do it this weekend rather than during the week when the kids are in bed.
    We usually leave a few decorations and cards up for a few more days though, just to take the edge off the gloominess.
    It's been so dark this Christmas that the lights have been permanently on every day!

I'll also have to take the tree down in work on Monday. He who puts it up etc...

The house always looks so much bigger one everything is packed away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,810 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Everything inside and outside is left up and lighting until the 6th because it's little Christmas day. Then on the 7th we take down the outside lights/windows. Maybe the the cards and ceiling decorations. Over the next few days the ceiling decorations would come down followed by the ornaments/inside decorations.
    We might leave the tree up for a few extra days just to brighten the place up.
    When I was a kid my mother used always be telling me on the 20th of January now we can't light the tree until the curtains are closed because it can be seen from the road. We used leave it up because going back to school after Christmas was aways so dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Dolbert wrote: »
    We might take ours down this weekend. I've cleared out the sweets and junk already, may as well follow suit with the tree :P

Neither of us felt like taking it down today as it turns out. Next Saturday it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lights get turned off at midnight on the 6th Jan and all the decorations and tree get taken down the 7th

This precisely. Lights go off at midnight and I take off one token decoration and then it comes down the 7th. The 6th is Nollaig na mBann and that's really important to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

came down today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I took mine down today too. House seems very empty now and also needs a good clean. I'll do that tomorrow and will head back to work on Monday having been off since start of Nov. That will be a shock to the system :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

I will take my tree down either Friday or Saturday, didn't even switch the lights on this year as an uncle I was very fond of died on the Monday before Christmas, had to organise his funeral so Christmas was a bit somber

I am sorry for your loss... Hopefully next year will be better....
    In my family we have experienced loss at this time of year... and for some they hate it, BUT I try to embrace it and it means your beloved Uncle will be part of the the Christmas in a positive way years on...

Never before the 6th... and like most here - I (MOURNFULLY) turn of the lights at midnight on the 6th and than anytime after that I can manage to take things down... (sadly).

I have ours up since November 27th... and would gladly leave them up another few weeks... but lean to tradition of the 6th...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CarrieAnne wrote: »
    Never before the 6th... and like most here - I (MOURNFULLY) turn of the lights at midnight on the 6th and than anytime after that I can manage to take things down... (sadly).

I have ours up since November 27th... and would gladly leave them up another few weeks... but lean to tradition of the 6th...

I still have my house lit up as does three of the neighbours across from me. I can't believe it's almost time to take them down. It felt like yesterday I was putting them up. Next year the 6th falls on a Friday so the tree will be staying up until the Sunday.

I'll miss the glow off the lights and the fairy lines on the fire place and window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

I would take it down... if it went up this year :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I took all the decorations down except the Christmas tree. The tree stays until the 6th.

I couldn't deal with taking every single thing down on the same day- the house looks dreary enough as it is!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I took all the decorations down except the Christmas tree. The tree stays until the 6th.

I couldn't deal with taking every single thing down on the same day- the house looks dreary enough as it is!!

I took down my window stickers and mantleplace pieces leaving all the lights and tree up Til the 6th.

Loughc wrote: »
    I still have my house lit up as does three of the neighbours across from me. I can't believe it's almost time to take them down. It felt like yesterday I was putting them up. Next year the 6th falls on a Friday so the tree will be staying up until the Sunday.

I'll miss the glow off the lights and the fairy lines on the fire place and window.

I will so miss the lights too... I really REFUSE to deal with the end of Christmas until the 7th... and than the mourning begins....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Jan 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll miss the lights too. We had to turn the tree lights off a couple of times over the last two days while we watched 3 films (my husband could see their reflection in the screen from where he was sitting) and at the same time the batteries in my mantelpiece lights went so it was very sad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement