Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you take your Christmas Tree down?

• 28-12-2015 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I took my tree down yesterday!! Is bad luck going to befall me?!

I am back in work tomorrow until New Year's Eve. I really want to get my house tidy and in order for 2016. So I decided to take my tree down before I go back to work so I can then clean my house from top to bottom on New Year's Day.

What ever works right?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Not till Jan 6th..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It goes up December 8th, comes down January 6th. 'Twas always the way here.

I only have the lights lit up for 10 days at the most.

• 6th Jan in our house but I would love to put it away now as it feels like Christmas is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

January 6th for me. It stays up right until the end of Christmas.

I remember seeing a tree at the recycling centre last year on the 27th, and I just felt so sad seeing it. I'm hoping there was a good reason because I do find it hard to understand why people take them down so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Between 5th and 6th.
    Winter is long and drab enough. My trees brings a bit of sparkle and fun to my house that I'll keep for as long as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I will take my tree down either Friday or Saturday, didn't even switch the lights on this year as an uncle I was very fond of died on the Monday before Christmas, had to organise his funeral so Christmas was a bit somber

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I feel so ashamed!!!

Normally I do leave it up til the 6th.....but for some reason this year the inclination to take it down early just got me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

January 6th for me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

New Year's Day here, by that stage I am so over Christmas and I want every trace of it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭gidget

6 January. From what i've seen a lot of on fb, the American's mostly were putting up posts saying they were taking trees down on the 26th. Killjoy's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Raelynn Delicious Rocket

Never before the 6th. I wasn't going to put one up but I did. Personally I really don't understand putting them up really early only to take them down asap. Anything before the 2nd Jan just seems really strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Always Jan 6th.
    Can't understand these eejits who have a tree up in the middle of November and take it down before New Years.

I feel so ashamed!!!

Normally I do leave it up til the 6th.....but for some reason this year the inclination to take it down early just got me

Don't be. At the end of the day, you do what's right for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭appledrop

I usually take it down before I'm back in work so usually around the 2nd/3rd January. Each to their own but I love the tree even more during those lazy days between Christmas Day and New Year's day. Especially on a dark and dreary day like today. I have my Christmas lights on since 11.30am this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is it bad luck or something to take tree down before the 6th, or is that if you leave it up AFTER 6th!

Is it bad luck or something to take tree down before the 6th, or is that if you leave it up AFTER 6th!

No, it's more the case that the traditional Christmas season runs from Christmas Day Dec 25th to Epiphany Jan 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

appledrop wrote:
    I usually take it down before I'm back in work so usually around the 2nd/3rd January. Each to their own but I love the tree even more during those lazy days between Christmas Day and New Year's day. Especially on a dark and dreary day like today. I have my Christmas lights on since 11.30am this morning!

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

1st or 2nd Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hackme

Already did it yesterday. I only had it for 2 days 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

My mam always kept decorations up for a week after the 6th, cause you'd only be more miserable coming home from school with the house bare.

I'll probably take mine down the weekend of the 9th or 10th, busy week in work the week of the 6th, but it might go later depending how lazy I am that weekend :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The 6th. I've only just put up the 'Merry New Year' bunting my sister made for me so the idea of taking decorations down anytime soon feels wrong to me. I'm keeping my mantelpiece lights up for a couple of weeks after the 6th.

Whenever suits yourself. Mine is coming down tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

In around the 6th of January. No real specific date.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Dying to take mine down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I cracked and took everything down yesterday. Our tree was shedding like crazy and had to go. I love the 'clean' feeling from having everything packed away all tidy for next year. I do plan on making a pudding for next Christmas very soon though, as I have loads of dried fruit in the cupboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I was ready to take everything down on the 26th… but noooooo, we have to keep,it up till the 6th :rolleyes:

I'm so over it. I don't even turn the lights on on the tree. I just want to get back to normal. :(

Looking at all these decorations and the tree just makes me depressed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I love putting the decorations up but could take them down now, just want the house back. Think it has to do with the never ending mess of toys and my hubby being home full time :)

I'm a project person, christmas is the project I work on in October to finish halloween, and my next project is the toddlers room.

Keeping the tree up til the 4th at least so may just leave it til the 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Whatever works is one way of looking at it, but if you ignore the concept of Christmas then it isn't really a Christmas tree but a tree for some festival of your own invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

When my gf gets sick of looking at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Lights get turned off at midnight on the 6th Jan and all the decorations and tree get taken down the 7th

Advertisement