Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Fire TV stick

• 10-10-2015 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Thinking of buying one of these on amazon.de for 35 euro, Its 35£ on Amazon.co.uk.

All i need is a plug adaptor and I presume its straightforward enough to change language on it ?

Will use mailboxde.com for postal address.

Before i buy, thought id post and see can anyone see me having any issues with this? may be a bargain alert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gomango

Not much traffic in this forum to answer my query.

Can a mod please move to BA.

Don't want to double post.

Gomango wrote: »
    Thinking of buying one of these on amazon.de for 35 euro, Its 35£ on Amazon.co.uk.

All i need is a plug adaptor and I presume its straightforward enough to change language on it ?

Will use mailboxde.com for postal address.

Before i buy, thought id post and see can anyone see me having any issues with this? may be a bargain alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

You don't need a plug if your TV has a USB socket, power it from that

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

OP did you buy this in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

does anyone know where to buy the fire tv stick in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jolter wrote: »
    does anyone know where to buy the fire tv stick in ireland

Curry's had them.

• Advertisement

i have ordered one for home delivery on the pc world site seven days ago and the money was taken from my card,39.99 incl
    delivery, i have gotten an order number for tracking but when i enter it says order not found.anyone have any success with delivery with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Haylesm

Jolter, I ordered them on 3/12 got an order number which was showing as pending for weeks. The amount paid went into my "pending" transactions on my acc but currys never took the money so it eventually went back into my bank balance. Tried emailing/phoning curry and got nothing back.
    Fast forward to yesterday and currys again took the money from my acc and the goods arrived at my door!!!
    BUT...... Just got an email from them now to say that the fire sticks are not compatible in the Republic of Ireland at all and have to be recalled. So to take them back for a full refund!!
    They are an absolute disaster of a shop and I will never order from them again :(

Haylesm wrote: »
    Jolter, I ordered them on 3/12 got an order number which was showing as pending for weeks. The amount paid went into my "pending" transactions on my acc but currys never took the money so it eventually went back into my bank balance. Tried emailing/phoning curry and got nothing back.
    Fast forward to yesterday and currys again took the money from my acc and the goods arrived at my door!!!
    BUT...... Just got an email from them now to say that the fire sticks are not compatible in the Republic of Ireland at all and have to be recalled. So to take them back for a full refund!!
    They are an absolute disaster of a shop and I will never order from them again :(
    The vast majority of people buying these aren't interested in the factory capabilities of the unit, rather, what they can be tailored to provide. Don't be in any hurry to return it, have a look at prices on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Currys just refunded my card for 2 chromecast that I ordered last week. No email, no help from advisor after 33 mins on an 1890 number.
    Shower of cowboys Ted, never again.

got a reply from currys eventually that the firestick was not compatible and that the money taken from my account would be refunded, an absolute joke of a company:(

• Advertisement

jolter wrote: »
    got a reply from currys eventually that the firestick was not compatible and that the money taken from my account would be refunded, an absolute joke of a company:(

I just received 2 chromecasts from currys and now my account is overdrawn even though they cancelled my order days ago.
    When they cancelled I went ahead and ordered 2 from Google so now I'll have 4 chromecasts.

corsav6 wrote: »
    I just received 2 chromecasts from currys and now my account is overdrawn even though they cancelled my order days ago.
    When they cancelled I went ahead and ordered 2 from Google so now I'll have 4 chromecasts.

How much did you pay for them ? I might be interested in taking one for my dad for Netflix if you want to sell one on.

corsav6 wrote: »

Have you considered breeding them?;)

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How much did you pay for them ? I might be interested in taking one for my dad for Netflix if you want to sell one on.

Pm sent

So basically is this gizmo a load of crap?

Nemanrio wrote: »
    So basically is this gizmo a load of crap?

If you don't know how to use it/set it up then its an expensive paperweight.

I've the Fire TV and find it very good.

If you don't know how to use it/set it up then its an expensive paperweight.

I've the Fire TV and find it very good.

What do you use the fire tv for?

What do you use the fire tv for?

I just use it for Kodi but I have access to BBC iPlayer as well.

I just use it for Kodi but I have access to BBC iPlayer as well.

Can you get bbc iplayer through the fire stick in Ireland? If so, how?

Can you get bbc iplayer through the fire stick in Ireland? If so, how?

Using a VPN service. Can't talk about that here though. Google is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭xlogo

xlogo wrote:
    I'm having issues with acestream engine. Every time I try to launch a channel with torrent stream controller I get a message saying that acestream engine cannot open.

Anyone??

xlogo wrote: »
    Anyone??

Sorry lad, I haven't a clue even what you're talking about. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭xlogo

Nemanrio wrote:
    Sorry lad, I haven't a clue even what you're talking about.

Not worries I am just trying to run the 2 apps in my post on the Firetv - they install OK but the controller one gives an error saying it can't start ace streams.

xlogo wrote: »
    Not worries I am just trying to run the 2 apps in my post on the Firetv - they install OK but the controller one gives an error saying it can't start ace streams.

I might be know someone I can ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gomango

OP did you buy this in the end?

Yeah bought it on black Friday deal through Amazon.co.uk for 25£. Great value.

For anyone with the same reservations as I had about ordering from amazon.de :

When you plug in at first you can select language.
    If you have USB on your TV you can use as power source, alternatively can buy 3 pin adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

hi want to get netflix on my tv.
    can i use one of these to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Whats the story with the recent tv adverts featuring Jeremy Clarkson sending lots of firesticks off to Europe... are all UK services now (i.e. Amazon Prime, BBC Iplayer etc.) now available in Ireland and elsewhere in Europe ?

Thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Amazon Prime is now available and I subscribed by accident while testing to see if it was available in Ireland. At first it looked like a good product. Lots of free TV shows, Movies, The Grand Tour! Similar to Netflix. However, a lot, if not MOST of the TV shows and movies are not playing here in Ireland due to distribution rights. The Grand Tour will play and some of the Amazon Prime Originals, but even their original programs won't all play here.

You can rent/buy movies, TV shows etc but I haven't tried to do that yet since I don't trust that once I've paid that it'll play here.

Also there is an Amazon Prime App for Apple and Android devices as well as a Samsung Smart TV App, however none of these will work in Ireland. The Samsung TV app isn't even listed.

In my view as it stands, it's not worth the money. Unless you only want it for The Grand Tour, which I have to say looks amazing. Filmed in 4k and down scaled to 1080p looks really nice. As for the program, it's exactly like Top Gear. I enjoyed it.

I think that some of the Amazon Prime offers for products seems to be available, free postage but I haven't looked into it so much as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Thats really crap that Amazon are only offering some of the range of programming etc. (no doubt their price for Irish subscribers doesn't reflect this :() They should either price it at a heavily discounted rate, or roll out the entire offering here imho....

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Not only is the content limited for Prime Video in Ireland, it's becoming clear that the Fire TV/Stick is not usable for Prime Video content in Ireland - save for the Watch While Abroad stuff...

Advertisement