Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda 'who lost her ambition due to PTSD awarded €75,000

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

wardides wrote: »
    So you're a lifeguard in a busy resort. One of the hottest days of the year. You're boss informs you that you're not able to leave your post for several hours, and you're not allowed carry anything to your post as it could get in the way of any duties you need to carry out. You're told you cant take a break to replace the sun protection. You're told you can't as there isnt adequate cover to replace you.

You get severe sunstroke, leading to a certain amount of time off, on top of any medical bills, and any future distress it may cause you.

Maybe you should try getting out of that bubble because I'm fairly certain I would have a case there.
    Why would you not be allowed to bring suncream? You're living in a fantasy world.
    Not surprising considering 75k can be awarded for a punch. If she was a model, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Why would you not be allowed to bring suncream? You're living in a fantasy world.
    Not surprising considering 75k can be awarded for a punch. If she was a model, fair enough.

I'm really not. You're assuming that common sense is applied to every situation. And you couldn't be anymore wrong.

It's simply pointing out that there could be way more to this story than you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'm really not. You're assuming that common sense is applied to every situation. And you couldn't be anymore wrong.

It's simply pointing out that there could be way more to this story than you know.

I'm going on what I read in the link of the op. No more, no less.

She should have got paid leave for a couple of weeks, had counselling and been stuck on a desk for a few weeks or however long it took.
    75k is jokeshop.

Edit:/granted there may be more to it. Bit for 75kk, I'd expect.torture.

Except I never said that.

Fair play.

' its a hazard of the job'
    Says you.

Except its not. It's not acceptable to be assaulted in any job.
    And why wouldn't you be entitled to compensation if you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

I'm going on what I read in the link of the op. No more, no less.

She should have got paid leave for a couple of weeks, had counselling and been stuck on a desk for a few weeks or however long it took.
    75k is jokeshop.

Overall I agree. It does seem a bit of a high damage to be awarded, hence me saying it's a dangerous precedent to set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Boards is usually a pretty supportive place for people who suffer any sort of mental health issues. PTSD is very much a diagnosable mental health issue.

So it makes me sad that people choose to focus on the punch as if she got awarded 75k becuase her nose was broken. She didn't. She got awarded 75k becuase she was involved in an incident that for whatever reason destroyed her confidence and her motivation and therefore tangibly and measurably ruined her career. (something that in the long run will cost her Much more).

I know people involved in minor road accidents who will never drive again. People involved in minor sporting accidents who can't get back on the field. People who had a bad experience with a colleague and can never work with them again. Their fear is hard to understand, but it is real. If their fear was caused by someone else and was costing them their future they do deserve compensation.

She signed up to a life as a guard. I think we can take her in good faith as someone not milking the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Bethany Flaky Tendon

Sets a really dangerous precedent surely?

No.

Cops have always been quick to sue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So i take it she has left the guards now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Leyla Numerous Rocket

bubblypop wrote: »
    ' its a hazard of the job'
    Says you.

Except its not. It's not acceptable to be assaulted in any job.
    And why wouldn't you be entitled to compensation if you were.

It is a hazardous job.

I wouldn't take a job with the Gardai and not expect to be in harms way at some point, any more than I would not take a job with the fire brigade and not expect to have to deal with smoke and fire.

No one wants to be assaulted and in a perfect world no one would ever be assaulted but reality check here, the An Garda Síochána are the ones that are expected to be there in dangerous situations where assaults can and do occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Alyssa Damp Saliva

It's her job to protect the rest of us, to keep the peace. She should be entitled to do so safely, and any scumbag attacking a member of AGS or any member of the emergency services should be punished severely.

Just because she has a uniform does not mean she's fair game and I'd like to see any of the rest of ye being assaulted whilst carrying out your duties at work, and not taking a civil case.

• Advertisement

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-jail-for-man-who-left-female-garda-with-severe-injuries-647521.html

I mean, I guess it's just part of the job after all. 240 hours community service for 18 months out of work, 2 operations, and no longer being able to partake in your sports team. Why would you be even bothered trying to keep the peace when this is what happens when a case gets to court? She was dead right. Hope she enjoys spending every cent of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-jail-for-man-who-left-female-garda-with-severe-injuries-647521.html

I mean, I guess it's just part of the job after all. 240 hours community service for 18 months out of work, 2 operations, and no longer being able to partake in your sports team. Why would you be even bothered trying to keep the peace when this is what happens when a case gets to court? She was dead right. Hope she enjoys spending every cent of it

the injuries seem to be a lot worse as it effected her hip and knee but it doesn't mention about her claiming any money, a letter of apology that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

The articles says before the assault that she was a confident Garda, it can take one event to change how you feel about yourself and the world you live in and this event was the assault in her case. If I was assaulted I would feel very vulnerable afterwards and she could have felt the same, she is a mother as well and you have stay safe and well so you can look after your children. I could see how the assault could effect her and it is easy to cast our opinion when we don't know her inner thoughts.

Not all counsellors are suited to treat PTSD, she might have felt she was getting nowhere.

Going to therapy for some people is not easy and then admitting to family, friends you are going to therapy can be met with mixed emotions, not everybody can be supportive. There can be some pull yourself together attitude to mental health. She may not have the most supportive environment around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

anytime i see one of these threads i get the jist of 'FAAAAAACK I WISH ID GET SOMETHING' of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

PTSD is pretty serious OP and 75k is nothing really.

the injuries seem to be a lot worse as it effected her hip and knee but it doesn't mention about her claiming any money, a letter of apology that's all

Ah ok, I see.
    Have you ever had your nose broken in an assault? Ever get up to go to work and have someone smash your face in?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

but it doesn't mention about her claiming any money,

That comes at a later date wouldn't be mentioned in a criminal case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

I wouldnt be looking for money tbh, just get the person behindwith bars that did it
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

steddyeddy wrote: »
    PTSD is pretty serious OP and 75k is nothing really.

i understand it can be serious but you have to question why make a claim? Is money the cure for PTSD? She had help but ended the therapy and decided to try claim and get money. Im sure there is more details to this story were missing, but from what i read, i think there is something not right about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Let us know how you feel after you get assaulted OP

being a Gardai.. getting punched now and then should be expected in the line of duty..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

CamperMan wrote: »
    being a Gardai.. getting punched now and then should be expected in the line of duty..

and should they be allowed to defend them selfs ? punch back ? or just take it goodnaturedly

what about nurses ? paramedics ? prison officers ?

considering that police are now considered a legitimate target by all sorts of scumbags and political nutjobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

anytime i see one of these threads i get the jist of 'FAAAAAACK I WISH ID GET SOMETHING' of them.

True thats because many posters here will have suffered injury at this level or worse at the hands of scumbags and not seen a penny (and an awful lot of the time not even seen them charged)
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think it would have made much difference here. The big GAA guard could just as easily been cold clocked if he was on his own with a violent criminal. If the issue here is she was left on her own, then she's fully entitled to the payment. No guard should be left vulnerable like that.

The GAA part was because some one who has been involved in hard physical contact sports would likely have taken a few sly or not so sly smacks on the field and been back out playing in a couple of weeks (not saying people should be assaulted in sports but it does happen)

As has been stated here already, it is not part of the job description. No innocent person deserves to be assaulted ever, no matter whether they're at work, in uniform or not, or just walking down the street.
    It says a lot about society when they think it's perfectly normal & expected for their guardians of the peace to be assaulted as part of their job.

Gardai expect to deal with criminals, that doesn't mean it ok for them to be assaulted by those criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Gardai are OUR team. They are the ones we pay to keep things in shape. Look at how life is like in the ****ty south american countries or africa, when you don't have decent men and women keeping law and order.

We shouldn't be questioning why she claimed, we should be questioning why someone thought it was acceptable to assault a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Icepick

If a random assault is an extraordinary event and guards can get a fortune from the taxpayer afterwards, it's time to adjust their pension and salary entitlements in line with everybody else as the only justification is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Icepick

discus wrote: »
    Gardai are OUR team. They are the ones we pay to keep things in shape. Look at how life is like in the ****ty south american countries or africa, when you don't have decent men and women keeping law and order.

We shouldn't be questioning why she claimed, we should be questioning why someone thought it was acceptable to assault a Garda.
    If you think the only difference is the law and order, you have very little trust in human progress.

• i understand it can be serious but you have to question why make a claim? Is money the cure for PTSD?

No more or less than it cures a broken arm or a back injury. Damages are not simply based on medical expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Icepick wrote: »
    If a random assault is an extraordinary event and guards can get a fortune from the taxpayer afterwards, it's time to adjust their pension and salary entitlements in line with everybody else as the only justification is gone.

How exactly are their pension and salary entitlements not in line with "everybody else" (who does this include?) ?

And since when was €75k a fortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Icepick wrote: »

* water, water, water, eircode, eircode crap again ?

based on 1,000,000 taxpayers :

75,000 ÷ 1,000,000 = ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

esforum wrote: »
    I guarantee without any doubt this does not happen.

Secondly. You need not be a Garda, walk upto a scumbag and insult them, same result

Will I get 75k though?

Advertisement