Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Oh yes he was reaching and no mistake. You'd see many more examples of "ah sure men are a bit dim" in ad breaks(if the Beeb had them :)) than you'd ever see in Dr Who. Though it has become not a little pompous and takes itself far too seriously these days, IMHO it's one of the most balanced TV programmes out there. Kinda always was, even back in the old days. It had huge crossover appeal to boys and girls and adults.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh yes he was reaching and no mistake. You'd see many more examples of "ah sure men are a bit dim" in ad breaks(if the Beeb had them :)) than you'd ever see in Dr Who. Though it has become not a little pompous and takes itself far too seriously these days, IMHO it's one of the most balanced TV programmes out there. Kinda always was, even back in the old days. It had huge crossover appeal to boys and girls and adults.

It is worrying though the clamour every time there's a new doctor to make it a woman. Its a bit like the movement to have a black James bond. Why? Just because! No reason apart from some inexplicable sense of injustice that it's currently a white male, some sense of entitlement to their 'share'.

Its a pity since Dr Who is a fairly positive role model for boys (likes science, uses his brain, etc.). From the noise made around it you'd think there was a popular movement amongst a large majority of fans for the change, yet as far as I can see its mainly the same small number of empty vessels making lots of noise every time. Unfortunately they do appear to have some momentum, and in some ways have already influenced the show for the worse IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's an absolute pet hate of mine tritium. The show features loads of positive female role models and tbh, with the most recent season
    they've effectively created two female "doctors" and set them off into space and time with a diner shaped tardis
    . If they wanted to do a spin-off based on that (as they've done in the past with the Sarah Jane Adventures), I'd be all for it
    but I wouldn't fancy their chances at signing the two actresses involved tbh

If the feminazis get their way and the Doctor re-generates into a woman, that'll be it for me and the show. Unless they get Judy Dench to do it in a fashion akin to Wiliam Hurt's War Doctor where that incarnation only lasted a handful of episodes. And even then, it'd only because I'd watch Dame Judy in an episode of Coronation Street.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I dunno Sleepy, I think that is a little harsh. I would give any actor the benefit of the doubt and judge the show onj how much I enjoy it or not. I did love Matt Smith though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,044 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maybe
    I can't be the only one here who just has no idea whatsoever what this Doctor Who thing is? The Brits seem to be mad for it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What a wonderful use of our taxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

https://twitter.com/NWCI/status/672742584507351040

:rolleyes:
    We're always discussing how to do it down in my local patriarchy club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^^

why did the patriarchy invent social media? , did "we" score and own goal?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

48 things women hear that men don't. Listen this is getting annoying at this stage. It would be trivial if the movement didn't have as much power. I'm wondering how many things on this list women say to each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

steddyeddy wrote: »

48 things women hear that men don't. Listen this is getting annoying at this stage. It would be trivial if the movement didn't have as much power. I'm wondering how many things on this list women say to each other?
    I notice the top commenter said he made his own video:

As he's only an individual rather than the Huffington Post, it only has a bit more than 1% of the views.

Anyone else notice the giant "Stop Male Violence against Women" posters in Cineworld in Dublin?

Not the sexist bull**** I want to see when taking my daughter to the Peanuts movie thanks. First time in years I've been tempted to try the hand at some grafitti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sleepy wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the giant "Stop Male Violence against Women" posters in Cineworld in Dublin?

I saw this on a bus shelter recently as I was driving past. Had to question me eye sight and thought 'I didn't really see that.... did I?'

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm wondering how many things on this list women say to each other?
    Probably a lot, as men would say also say a lot of things to each other from the response video.

I don't see what difference it makes. People can perpetuate sexist attitudes towards their own gender, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be highlighting it.

Some of the quotes in both videos are fairly ridiculous, but there are ones in both that do piss me off and should be called out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Just when you think these awareness ads, hash tag campaigns etc, can't get any more misandric than they already have, along comes the following where fathers are indirectly blamed for their daughters rape..

Sanctimonious tripe, obviously, but what's really sickening is the patronizingly smug tone of it all. I am so sick of these groups portraying women as constant victims in western society. There is no bloody rape culture. There isn't even a culture where it's socially acceptable for boys to speak derogatorily about girls. There never was, at least not in my lifetime. Boys on the other hand can have almost anything said about them and nobody really cares. Women can grope men in public and sure it's just the craic. Hell, a woman could assault a man and it would garner more laughs than concern. In contrast, a man gropes a woman in a public place, or hits a woman, and she would (rightly) have people queuing up to come to her aid. These campaigns are nothing short of shameful feminist propaganda imo, and I believe that they are getting stronger and more virulent of late simply because these people can sense that feminism, and the need for it, is being questioned more and more of late and so I guess they feel that if they manipulate the public with lies, they can continue to create an air that feminism in western society is as relevant and needed today as ever it was, and therefore ultimately stem that particular tide. Worked for them so well in the past I suppose and so it's all really just more of the same old same old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newport2

This woman sums it up really well. Great to hear someone cutting through the drivel

NB not safe for work on speakers with cursing and such.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Sanctimonious tripe, obviously,
    Pretty much NB. Nothing shocks me anymore with this nonsense mind you. I dunno, maybe we should lock women away from society, keep them veiled and behind closed doors because apparently men are so nasty and women are apparently too weak and delicate to be allowed out on their own? *sarcasm*
    newport2 wrote: »
    This woman sums it up really well. Great to hear someone cutting through the drivel
    +1. IMH she's dead right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newport2

newport2 wrote: »
    NB not safe for work on speakers with cursing and such.

Apologies, wasn't thinking. Should have included a warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Just when you think these awareness ads, hash tag campaigns etc, can't get any more misandric than they already have, along comes the following where fathers are indirectly blamed for their daughters rape..

Sanctimonious tripe, obviously, but what's really sickening is the patronizingly smug tone of it all. I am so sick of these groups portraying women as constant victims in western society. There is no bloody rape culture. There isn't even a culture where it's socially acceptable for boys to speak derogatorily about girls. There never was, at least not in my lifetime. Boys on the other hand can have almost anything said about them and nobody really cares. Women can grope men in public and sure it's just the craic. Hell, a woman could assault a man and it would garner more laughs than concern. In contrast, a man gropes a woman in a public place, or hits a woman, and she would (rightly) have people queuing up to come to her aid. These campaigns are nothing short of shameful feminist propaganda imo, and I believe that they are getting stronger and more virulent of late simply because these people can sense that feminism, and the need for it, is being questioned more and more of late and so I guess they feel that if they manipulate the public with lies, they can continue to create an air that feminism in western society is as relevant and needed today as ever it was, and therefore ultimately stem that particular tide. Worked for them so well in the past I suppose and so it's all really just more of the same old same old.

I suppose it is quite an emotional video and it does pack a punch.

If we take the message on board though then where can we realistically go with it?

Don't raise your kids to be little sh!ts? Got it! Message received.

Are we supposed to just assume that if we all stopped making insulting jokes and stopped using the word "whore" that we would be able to put an end sexual assault and violence against women? Did these things exist before language? I think that they probably did. So language can't really be the problem, can it?

How did we determine that insulting jokes and insulting words lead to violent acts? Did we establish this as fact?

What's the expected timescale of this solution? When should we expect to see results?

What I'm saying is they've got the emotional fluff, now where is the substance?

Obviously I think that using certain words to describe women and girls is unacceptable but the fact that society agrees with me kind of gives more weight to the argument that we are already doing what the video suggests. I mean who among us was "raised on isulting jokes"?

If I'm out with the lads and one of them openly calls a woman a b*tch, c*nt or wh*re then most of us are going to be saying "what the f*ck, dude? No!"

Yes, men shouldn't call women "whores". Yes, insulting jokes are somewhat questionable. I think most of us already learn this, right?

I've seen men step in to protect women. Damn it, I've seen men batter each other to defend a woman's honor. That's "just something boy's do" right?

When she talks about her "perfect man" and how life becomes too much for him I thought that the stinger was going to be that the guy kills himself, as many men do when it gets that way. No, actually, she's only concerned about the terrible things this imaginary guy might possibly do to her. The possibility that he might be found at 5am on summer morning, in the park, swinging from a tree, cold and dead, is not her concern. That may well be the moral of the story here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Victims 24/7 it would appear. Women's Aid Ireland now telling everyone to ignore the 'Violence against women deniers'.

https://twitter.com/Womens_Aid/status/676729336049831936
    Wonder will there be a #dearmommy?

Because when I was at school (mixed secondary community college) the only time I heard the word slut and whore were generally from gangs of girls fighting with gangs of other girls. Their viciousness grated on me as I had just come from an all boys primary school that was adjacent to a girl's school and whenever we were walked from class to class the boys line always stopped to let the girl's lines past. We were always thought to never hit girls and that there are certain ways in which you should not speak to girls. So yeah, a Dear Mommy video please, where we see an unborn raped woman appealing to her mother not to stand for the verbal abuse of girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

'Violence against women deniers'

Seriously?????

I've no more problem calling a woman a cunt than I do calling a man one and, tbh, consider it a bit sexist that the word is taken to be more offensive than the word cock. After all, they're both just colloquial names for genitalia.

I've never used the words slut or whore to disparage a woman though. Have never seen the insult in the former really: I like promiscuous women. I wouldn't have had nearly as much sex as I have in my life without them! The latter is again, no more than a colloquial name for a profession I have no issues with once all parties are consenting. In all honesty, I hear them used far more as insults by the type of women who see sex as more a tool for modifying the behaviour of the men in their lives than as something to be enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Well that's ironic given the open antagonism and denial the feminist lobby display around the issue of male victims of domestic violence.

Victims 24/7 it would appear. Women's Aid Ireland now telling everyone to ignore the 'Violence against women deniers'.

Because when I was at school (mixed secondary community college) the only time I heard the word slut and whore were generally from gangs of girls fighting with gangs of other girls. Their viciousness grated on me as I had just come from an all boys primary school that was adjacent to a girl's school and whenever we were walked from class to class the boys line always stopped to let the girl's lines past. We were always thought to never hit girls and that there are certain ways in which you should not speak to girls. So yeah, a Dear Mommy video please, where we see an unborn raped woman appealing to her mother not to stand for the verbal abuse of girls.

Of course if you have an opposing or alternative point of view then you are an "violence against women denier". It's a sad, rather depressing, situation.

Now, my understanding is that young lads who do not have their father around are, statistically, far more likely to find themselves involved in trouble and/or have behavioral problems?

So surely "Dear Single Mommy" could be seen as more appropriate? I mean, since we are so obsessed with statistics and all, right?

The video essentially makes 2 points.

1 - Insulting jokes lead to violence and sexual assault on women.
    2 - Certain insults also lead to violence and sexual assault on women.

The proposed solutions are as follows.

1 - Fathers should not make insulting jokes and should tell other men not to.
    2 - Fathers should teach their kids not to say bad words.

The glaring error is that we are not catching boys who are not raised by fathers in our net here.

Surely the solution to that is that this should be either a "Dear Mommy" or, even better, a "Dear Parents" campaign?

Yet, they didn't not go with that, rather obvious, solution?

Hm.

But that might insinuate that not only is something a woman's fault, it's a *gasp* MOTHER's fault... :rolleyes:

py2006 wrote: »
    'Violence against women deniers'

Seriously?????

It's a classic case of "poisoning the well" but as long as the masses gobble it up then who cares, right?

The point of the video is that insults and jokes can lead to actual physical abuse. It's up to fathers to stop these insults and jokes.

They must surely know that this is an extremely shaky point to make.

So they need to make it clear anyone who disagrees isn't simply denying that bad words lead to violence they are denying that the violence exists at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

seems like its getting hammered in the journal comments section. I find it amusing when the media runs with these retarded things and comments section call it out as b0llox

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

silverharp wrote: »
    seems like its getting hammered in the journal comments section. I find it amusing when the media runs with these retarded things and comments section call it out as b0llox
    Yes but that will qualify as 'online hate' or misogyny or some other nonsense.
    It will then be held up as 'proof' of the need for the video in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

Theres no such thing as a "fat girl", theyre called "big beautiful women" or "plus size" or whatever euphemism it is this week.
    I met a girl who is not so fond of one of my friends, she launched a tirade against him, and then started focusing in on his weight. I said "ah come on now" and looked her over.
    Biggest
    Mistake
    Of
    My
    Life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Never thought I'd be posting in this thread, but I heard one today that still has me enraged tbh. I met up with a friend I used work with for lunch, and we got around to talking about people we used work with, and I asked about a guy who was my mentor many years ago, and she told me that he'd recently taken "early retirement", but the way she said it I knew there was more to it, so I asked her what the story was.

Apparently, she told me, there were claims made that he was sexist and that he had a thing against women in business. I couldn't speak for a minute, I was gobsmacked at the notion that this was a man who had mentored both men and women in business and had never discriminated against anyone based on their gender, ever! It was as though she was referring to someone else entirely, and we both agreed as much. Then she told me he had been replaced by a woman who was very much all about "women in business", as an issue (and not simply mentoring people in business regardless of their gender).

I could only shake my head in disbelief. It's depressing when I see that sort of behavior going on that someone who I know to be the epitome of professional, is shoved out like that, and replaced with someone with the favouritism attitude they were claiming the other person had. It's bizarre.

Advertisement