Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭iptba

Another example where a candidate or candidates (there were two men here) is/are excluded due to being male
    Fianna Fail HQ criticised after Longford convention

On the back of a gender quota directive, Fianna Fail has nominated Connie Gerety-Quinn as its general election candidate for Longford

Less than 24 hours before the vote, party headquarters announced it would be making a gender quota directive. Gerety-Quinn was officially declared by Fianna Fail chairman and Laois-Offaly TD Sean Fleming at the convention last night.
    continues at:
    http://www.businesspost.ie/fianna-fail-hq-criticised-after-longford-convention/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

iptba wrote: »
    Another example where a candidate or candidates (there were two men here) is/are excluded due to being male

continues at:

at least everyone knows who the token candidate is, between that and being FF I dont rate her chances

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    silverharp wrote: »
    at least everyone knows who the token candidate is, between that and being FF I dont rate her chances

She is apparently on the record saying she wouldn't accept candidacy if it was given on the basis of the gender quota. I'm sure she will manage to forgot she said that somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Heard an add for one of these lectures on the radio last night, (this is a link to a lecture in the past but the add was all of the same blurb)

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/public-talk-bad-men-good-jobs-psychopaths-among-us/
    Bad Men in Good Jobs – The Psychopaths Among Us”

Are you fascinated by those who commit repulsive criminal acts? Do you wonder why apparently normal men can engage in horrific crimes? Perhaps like many in Ireland, you were both horrified and mystified by the recent high profile criminal trials.

Would it be so hard to just say people instead of men or "apparently normal men" :rolleyes: It would be nice if people, particularity people who put themselves forward as experts would stop fueling this paranoia that just under the surface all men are supposedly bad.
    John O’Keeffe is a graduate of University College Dublin, UWE Bristol, London Metropolitan and a double graduate of Cambridge University where he is a life member of Homerton College. He holds memberships of the American Psychological Association, the International Association of Forensic Psychology, the American Society of Criminology and the British Society of Criminology.

From 2000-2010 he was Head and Dean of the Law School at Dublin Business School (incorporating Portobello College) where he taught both criminal and civil law. He is currently a Teaching Fellow in the School of Psychology, Trinity College, Dublin and Chief Executive of AdVIC – Advocates for the Victims of Homicide.

John is also a journalist (Deputy Editor of the Garda Review and Contributor, Sunday World) and broadcaster and regularly appears on television and radio where he speaks on matters related to criminology and forensic psychology.

He is currently engaged in research at Oxford University (Oriel College & Exeter College).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I noticed that ad too actually. Presumed it was just someone trying to cash in on the Graham Dwyer trial...

more cringe inducing than anything else....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This is just a bit of humour but it made me laugh:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Whenever I read articles like this I always wonder who exactly the target audience is supposed to be.

When I read this, as a man, I basically just think "well, none of this applies to me or anybody I know" and I'm sure that the majority of men think the same.

I wonder how many people out there will read this and think "wow, I am one of those catcalling, sexual assaulting, transgender murdering, men and I should really change my ways". I would guess there are none.

If it's supposed to be an article for women that is essentially just "men, eh?" with a bit of head shaking thrown in for good measure then fair enough. It's a bit extreme but fair enough.

If it's not just intended to be a five minutes of venting about "men" before forgetting about it and going about your day then it is absolutely a sexist, and potentially dangerous rant.

The sexism on display here is that idea that "men" can somehow be reprogrammed or re-educated. Why just men?

The danger of such a thought process is simple. What happens if re-education doesn't work? What happens if attempts at reprogramming fail?

What's the next stage in this process? When "academics" come out and say that reprogramming failed and re-educating didn't work will they just say "we give up" or will they propose a radical solution to societies "man problem"?

If I am over-reacting then again that's fair enough but surely the Guardian, or any media outlet really, should never be starting an article with the phrase "Men are pretty terrible people"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

No
    iptba wrote: »

continues at:

Good news, one of Fianna Fail's members is legally challenging gender quota selections.

I'm very interested in how this turns out.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1107/740314-legal-action-fianna-fail/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

No
    Maynooth university is doing its annual sexual health thing and the bathrooms in my building have 'consent is sexy' above the urinals. The womens bathrooms have none

Woodward wrote: »
    Maynooth university is doing its annual sexual health thing and the bathrooms in my building have 'consent is sexy' above the urinals. The womens bathrooms have none

you should try get a photo of it and upload it. Imagine if DCU put up signs around Ballymun saying its not cool to mug their students there would be a sh1t storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Didn't know that. I thought all the bathrooms had been covered, not just the male ones. If you bring it up with Siona I'm sure she'd make sure that doesn't happen again.
    FemSoc are doing Shave or Dye for "Movember" but the Shave or Dye event has been planned for months and there is no mention of what Movember is or why it's important on the page and the charity isn't anything related to Movember. Just trying to use a male-focused event to get themselves over. Actually a bit sickening to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

No
    silverharp wrote: »
    you should try get a photo of it and upload it. Imagine if DCU put up signs around Ballymun saying its not cool to mug their students there would be a sh1t storm.

The poster in question http://imgur.com/yO4hWnqyO4hWnq

The poster in question http://imgur.com/yO4hWnqyO4hWnq

for a start I'd be correcting the grammar :pac:

what a crappy message though "always ask first" how rapey and retarded are male students in Maynooth? .it is certainly worth bringing up if the same posters arent in the ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

A lot of calls of sexism today regarding last night's BBC documentary regarding female violence. Haven't seen it myself (will watch it later) but apparently it focused on making excuses for the women.

The show also included yet another public experiment where a woman was assaulted by a man and then where a man was assaulted by a woman and compared the reactions.

Interesting case about domestic violence. This women stabbed and assaulted her boyfriend. Her smiles and laughter and sense of entitlement is shocking. Luckily the judge didn't see it her way...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

The show also included yet another public experiment where a woman was assaulted by a man and then where a man was assaulted by a woman and compared the reactions.
    As you mentioned there have been a number of these experiments, all with the same outcome and the usual excuses offered.

Though it's great to see the problems of female entitlement and chivalry brought into public view. The more this brought into the light the more likely we are to enventually get assaults handled in a even-handed manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's a documentary that might be of interest to the good people here.

It's already reached its funding targets and then some, but since the window closes today I thought I'd throw the link up for those who might have thought about supporting it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cassiejaye/the-red-pill-a-documentary-film

Why are people chanting homophobia at them?? :confused:

Also, may be its just me, but when she speaks to the MRA guys they are in really dark lighting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

A lot of calls of sexism today regarding last night's BBC documentary regarding female violence. Haven't seen it myself (will watch it later) but apparently it focused on making excuses for the women.

Doesn't surprise me at all. I was sitting this morning (Sat) with my kids while they watched a programme called "The Next Step" on CBBC. A teen comedy drama series set in the US.

In one scene, a teenage girl becomes exasperated with her boyfriend and his male friend and so starts casually slapping them both about the face and head. In the context, the audience is clearly intended to find her behaviour both amusing and perfectly justifiable.

Is there the remotest possibility that such a scene would have been shown with the genders reversed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

A nine-year-old boy who scrawled a love note and passed it to his crush, has been disciplined by the school principal and threatened with legal action for sexual harassment.

In the note, the fourth grader reportedly wrote “I like you” inside a heart, and pretty innocently added “I like your eyes because they sparkle like diamonds”.

The boy’s mother, of Tampa Bay, Florida – who has chosen to remain anonymous in order to protect her young son – told WPTV that the principal in the Hillsborough County Public School District informed her the school would file “sexual harassment charges” against the boy if he writes another note.

Apparently the headteacher stepped in when other pupils began to tease the boy about wanting to see the girl naked, because it “wasn’t appropriate that he was writing the note”.

http://www.unilad.co.uk/news/boy-9-faces-sexual-harassment-charges-for-passing-girl-love-note-in-class/

The world has officially gone mad! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

You wanna see some of the stuff passed around this office a lot worse than what that kid wrote. 'Do this today','Get this done today'. I should file charges for slave labor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

maybe
    Thread merged as we're trying to keep this kind of subject in one thread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wibbs wrote: »
    Thread merged as we're trying to keep this kind of subject in one thread.
    I was originally going to post it here, but was undecided as it's not really sexist. It's just plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    This article by Arlene Harris in todays Examiner about her sons and how they are treated says things that men wouldn't be allowed to say without being mocked.
    society nowadays seems to hold a grudge against the male of the species
    But nowadays, it is not only deemed acceptable to belittle the men in our lives, but has become almost obligatory. It’s ok for TV adverts to objectify and ridicule men and it’s practically compulsory for women to poke fun at the inadequacy of their partners. This is all done under the guise of ‘feminism’ but it doesn’t wash
    studies (in the UK) have shown that education is geared towards girls and because they are constantly being praised while boys are told they aren’t good enough means the female of the species is striding ahead while their male counterparts are left nursing their battered egos.

It's refreshing to hear a woman say these things in public.

It's refreshing to hear a woman say these things in public.

Not sure about the "nursing their battered egos" line though. It kind of suggests that young boys feel put out that girls are doing well or something. She should have said boys are left with little self confidence and belief.

May be I am reading it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

maybe
    py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure about the "nursing their battered egos" line though. It kind of suggests that young boys feel put out that girls are doing well or something. She should have said boys are left with little self confidence and belief.

May be I am reading it wrong.

No. I agree with you there, she could have worded it better. But I'm not going to nitpick when she's pointing out that with curriculum changes, education is now aimed more at girls and leaving boys behind, and then they're blamed for it while girls are praised.

If it was the other way around, there would rightly be an outcry and changes instigated to fix the problem.

Did any one read the Sunday Business Post? They were talking about this on the radio and I can't find the article online.

Apparently, one of their female journalists/writer was making a deal about the fact that the book Brooklyn about a girl moving to America on her own and going through lonliness, homesickness etc was written by a man, the subsequent movie was directed by a man and the screenplay was written by a man.

Apparently, what would a man know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

No
    py2006 wrote: »
    Did any one read the Sunday Business Post? They were talking about this on the radio and I can't find the article online.

Apparently, one of their female journalists/writer was making a deal about the fact that the book Brooklyn about a girl moving to America on her own and going through lonliness, homesickness etc was written by a man, the subsequent movie was directed by a man and the screenplay was written by a man.

Apparently, what would a man know...

Even more shockingly none of the men were born in 30s Ireland. One of them isn't even Irish.

Advertisement