Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Have you ever just about caught a bus before it departs?

If so, and you were delayed earlier, through no fault of your own, for whatever reason, perhaps by being delayed by road works, on a Luas or Dublin Bus heading towards Bus Aras, or on a Dublin Bus that terminates at Eden Quay, and you then had to run down to Bus Aras with three or four minutes to spare, would you appreciate it if the people who were already on the bus, resented the fact that you got on the bus, criticising you for delaying them?

Or would your reaction be more along the lines of relief that you caught the bus and didn't have to wait 30 minutes for the next service?

Your fellow commuters, I'm sure, did not intend to go through the stress of being delayed coming from wherever they were coming from, and then getting down to the station with such little time to spare, to be able to just about get the bus before it departs.

I'm sorry but that's a nonsense.

If we take that line of thinking every bus and train in the land should wait for late passengers and no one would get anywhere.

Once the bus door closes that should be it.

The timetable is there for a reason and I'm afraid if you're late, even if it's not your own fault, that should be the end of it.

And yes I have just missed buses and trains myself, but I've had to swallow my pride and accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Yes I would agree with the passengers on the bus. Once the door closes that should be it. Why should I be delayed further when I've made sure I was there on time?

Every minute counts getting out of Bus Aras. The other day I got the 15.30 and some clown was late and the driver let them on. We didn't leave until 15.33 because they had to buy a ticket on the bus and of course they couldn't find their money.
    lxflyer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's a nonsense.

If we take that line of thinking every bus and train in the land should wait for late passengers and no one would get anywhere.

Once the bus door closes that should be it.

The timetable is there for a reason and I'm afraid if you're late, even if it's not your own fault, that should be the end of it.

And yes I have just missed buses and trains myself, but I've had to swallow my pride and accept it.

The person to whom I responded, said that the door at the gate was open, as the bus was departing, and said that the doors of the gate should be closed.

Was this bus already in motion and then stopped to let more people on?

Perhaps the people who just about caught the bus, did so just before it was scheduled to leave, just before the bus started moving, in which case they would technically be still in time.

I have been caught before, where I got down to Bus Aras to gate 7 and the door on the bus just closed and it started leaving, and I was not allowed on, and had to wait for the next bus.

It was explained to me by an inspector, that it is a health and safety rule.

I was responding to a description of a situation where the door on the gate was open and more passengers got on, while other passengers who were in Bus Aras already, were on the bus.

Had the bus started moving before the other passengers got on?

It is very possible that the passengers who had got on the bus, did so, just before it was scheduled to leave.

Otherwise, why would the driver be still waiting at the gate, departure point, at Bus Aras, after the time the bus was scheduled to leave?

The person to whom I responded, said that the door at the gate was open, as the bus was departing, and said that the doors of the gate should be closed.

Was this bus already in motion and then stopped to let more people on?

Perhaps the people who just about caught the bus, did so just before it was scheduled to leave, in which case they would be technically be still in time.

I have been caught before, where I got down to Bus Aras to gate 7 and the door on the bus just closed and it then started leaving, and I was not allowed on, and had to wait for the next bus.

It was explained to me by an inspector, that it is a health and safety rule.

I was responding to a description of a situation where the door on the gate was still open and more passengers got on, while other passengers who were in Bus Aras already, were on the bus.

Had the bus started moving before other passengers got on?

It is very possible that the passengers who had got on the bus, did so, just before it was scheduled to leave.

Otherwise, why would the driver be still waiting at the gate, departure point, at Bus Aras, after the time the bus was scheduled to leave?

The poster was clearly referring to the doors at the gate - not the doors of the bus.

And they are quite right in their suggestion.

The door at the gate should be closed in the same way as platform gates are in major railway stations to allow for an on time departure.

The poster was clearly referring to the doors at the gate - not the doors of the bus.

And they are quite right in their suggestion.

The door at the gate should be closed in the same way as platform gates are in major railway stations to allow for an on time departure.

Was the bus moving before the other passengers got on the bus?

Perhaps they got on the bus just before it started moving?

Perhaps they got to the bus, just before it was scheduled to leave?

I have edited my post already.

Was the bus moving before the other passengers got on the bus.

Oh please stop with all these permutations about that particular instance. You are missing the point.

He is making a general point that the doors should be shut at such time to allow the bus depart on time.

That should be the practice.

• Advertisement

Oh please stop with all these permutations about that particular instance. You are missing the point.

He is making a general point that the doors should be shut at such time to allow the bus depart on time.

That should be the practice.

No, I am not missing the point. it is a valid question to ask.

If the passengers who got on the bus in question, later that other passengers, did so just before it started moving and just before it was scheduled to leave, are they not technically still in time for that bus?

No, I am not missing the point. it is a valid question to ask.

If the passengers who got on the bus in question, later that other passengers, did so just before it started moving and just before it was scheduled to leave, are they not technically still in time for that bus?

For the love of God, stop focussing on that sort of detail.

He is talking about in general.

Can you not see the bigger picture rather than focussing on minutiae.

He is making the general point that the doors at the gate should be closed in time to allow the bus depart on time.

All the extra questions you are asking are irrelevant to that point.

If they did operate said policy and the people were already outside the door that's a completely different point - of course they should be let on.

For the love of God, stop focussing on that sort of detail.

He is talking about in general.

Can you not see the bigger picture rather than focussing on minutiae.

He is making the general point that the doors at the gate should be closed in time to allow the bus depart on time.

All the extra questions you are asking are irrelevant to that point.

If they did operate said policy and the people were already outside the door that's a completely different point - of course they should be let on.

The points I have made are not irrelevant to the point.

If someone makes a general point about an issue like this, you can't tell me, that the possibilities I have outlined, don't apply.

It is very possible that passengers who just about manage to get buses before they depart the gate areas of Bus Aras at the scheduled time, are still technically on time for buses.

If they are not at the gate before the time the bus is scheduled to leave, they will miss the bus.

Just because passengers waiting earlier at the station get on the bus earlier than other passengers, does not mean that the passengers who get on later, are actually late, if they get to the bus before the time it is scheduled to leave.

The points I have made are not irrelevant to the point.

If someone makes a general point about an issue like this, you can't tell me, that the possibilities I have outlined, don't apply.

It is very possible that passengers who just about manage to get buses before they depart the gate areas of Bus Aras at the scheduled time, are still technically on time for buses.

If they are not at the gate before the time the bus is scheduled to leave, they will miss the bus.

Just because passengers waiting earlier at the station get on the bus earlier than other passengers, does not mean that the passengers who get on later, are actually late, if they get to the bus before the time it is scheduled to leave.

Ok I'm going to make it very simple for you.

Forget about moving buses etc.

Say BE were to implement a rule of closing gates 2minutes before departure time at Busaras, which is the gist of what is being suggested here.

Then anyone who has passed through the gate and is on the "bus" side of the gate can board, but anyone showing up at the gate after it closes cannot.

And yes I know that the bus conceivably could still be delayed, but the likelihood of that happening would be significantly reduced.

We can all come up with a list of exceptions like you are - the point is trying to improve the process to try toavoid unnecessary delays.

And before you suggest it - I'm not suggesting that if there is a queue already formed that they stop those people in it from boarding, just that once they have passed through the gate that it be shut to stop stragglers holding the bus up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I think you are wasting your time with this one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Forget about moving buses etc.

Say BE were to implement a rule of closing gates 2minutes before departure time at Busaras, which is the gist of what is being suggested here.

Then anyone who has passed through the gate and is on the "bus" side of the gate can board, but anyone showing up at the gate after it closes cannot.

And yes I know that the bus conceivably could still be delayed, but the likelihood of that happening would be significantly reduced.

We can all come up with a list of exceptions like you are - the point is trying to improve the process to try toavoid unnecessary delays.

And before you suggest it - I'm not suggesting that if there is a queue already formed that they stop those people in it from boarding, just that once they have passed through the gate that it be shut to stop stragglers holding the bus up.

You still can't say that the points I made are not valid.

The person who brought up this issue said that passengers were getting on the bus as it was about to depart.

The person who brought up this issue did not say that passengers got on the bus after it had departed, and caused the bus to stop, to let them on.

If someone gets to the bus later than others because they are delayed, through no fault of their own, well then the people that resent, moan and whinge when that person gets the bus, should expect the same resentfulness on the occasion when they are delayed getting down to the bus station, and end up being accused of delaying the bus on everyone else.

You still can't say that the points I made are not valid.

The person who brought up this issue said that passengers were getting on the bus as it was about to depart.

The person who brought up this issue did not say that passengers got on the bus after it had departed, and caused the bus to stop, to let them on.

If someone gets to the bus later than others because they are delayed, through no fault of their own, well then the people that resent, moan and whinge when that person gets the bus, should expect the same resentfulness on the occasion when they are delayed getting down to the bus station, and end up being accused of delaying the bus on everyone else.

Actually what they said was this:
    tom23 wrote: »
    Little things like closing the door st bus aras as the bus departs wound be helpful to stop late commuters trying to get on, ya get delayed by even 1 minute leaving bus aras you could be in trouble.

They never mentioned a specific instance or event.

They clearly are making a general comment, referring to the bus being delayed by people arriving at the last minute, running through the gate and boarding the bus, and are suggesting that (like at major railway stations or airports) that there be a cut off point say a minute before the official departure time, after which the gate door is shut and no one else gets through after that.

If people were to show up after that point and be denied boarding, in my eyes that's just tough. What caused them to be late is irrelevant. That would apply to anyone, including myself!

I don't think that anyone is suggesting anything different, so I'm not sure why you're going on and on about it. Resentment doesn't come into it. Just a desire that the bus departs on time.

I'll put it to you like this - If I turned up at the departure gate in Dublin Airport 15 seconds after they closed it, I'd be frustrated, but I'd accept it. If I was sitting on the aircraft and the ground staff kept the gate open for the last passengers beyond the normal deadline, thereby causing the flight to miss its departure slot I would be annoyed and I think I'd be right to be.

It's called tough luck if you show up late.

Actually what they said was this:

They never mentioned a specific instance or event.

They clearly are making a general comment, referring to the bus being delayed by people arriving at the last minute, running through the gate and boarding the bus, and are suggesting that (like at major railway stations or airports) that there be a cut off point say a minute before the official departure time, after which the gate door is shut and no one else gets through after that.

If people were to show up after that point and be denied boarding, in my eyes that's just tough. What caused them to be late is irrelevant. That would apply to anyone, including myself!

I don't think that anyone is suggesting anything different, so I'm not sure why you're going on and on about it. Resentment doesn't come into it. Just a desire that the bus departs on time.

I'll put it to you like this - If I turned up at the departure gate in Dublin Airport 15 seconds after they closed it, I'd be frustrated, but I'd accept it. If I was sitting on the aircraft and the ground staff kept the gate open for the last passengers beyond the normal deadline, thereby causing the flight to miss its departure slot I would be annoyed and I think I'd be right to be.

It's called tough luck if you show up late.

People arriving at the last minute was not mentioned by the person who raised this issue.

What was mentioned was "late commuters trying to get on".

What I was suggesting was that it is very possible that the passengers had arrived at the last minute, a minute before the scheduled departure time.

I was suggesting that this may be the case in many instances, in that rather than passengers being late, they caught the bus before it was scheduled to leave.

If they were late, they would have missed the bus.

I am well aware that a specific incident or event was not mentioned. How then, can you be certain, that in every case that a person gets the bus just before it departs, that they are actually late, getting on the bus after the scheduled departure time?

It is for that reason that I suggested that it is very possible that many of the passengers who have managed to catch the buses, may not have been late for the buses, since the buses had not yet departed.

You stated "If we take that line of thinking every bus and train in the land should wait for late passengers and no one would get anywhere"

Why are you assuming that everyone who gets on the buses just before departure, are actually late?.

Resentment does come into it, if passengers, who manage to get the bus just before it departs, are being blamed for the bus being further delayed, even though it may take them just a few seconds to get on the bus.

People arriving at the last minute was not mentioned by the person who raised this issue.

What was mentioned was "late commuters trying to get on".

What I was suggesting was that it is very possible that the passengers had arrived at the last minute, a minute before the scheduled departure time.

I was suggesting that this may be the case in many instances, in that rather than passengers being late, they caught the bus before it was scheduled to leave.

If they were late, they would have missed the bus.

I am well aware that a specific incident or event was not mentioned. How then, can you be certain, that in every case that a person gets the bus just before it departs, that they are actually late, getting on the bus after the scheduled departure time?

It is for that reason that I suggested that it is very possible that many of the passengers who have managed to catch the buses, may not have been late for the buses, since the buses had not yet departed.

You stated "If we take that line of thinking every bus and train in the land should wait for late passengers and no one would get anywhere"

Why are you assuming that everyone who gets on the buses just before departure, are actually late?.

Resentment does come into it, if passengers, who manage to get the bus just before it departs, are being blamed for the bus being further delayed, even though it may take them just a few seconds to get on the bus.

Man you seriously over complicate this.

Clearly you don't fly anywhere from an airport very often.

I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Generally in Busaras when the driver sticks the bus into reverse that is it The doors won't open for anyone. but some drivers would go around the building again if they thought they were leaving someone behind, I have no issue with this on the last bus of the night but once the bus door closes for all other services there should be no exceptions.

I think many issues like this for bus companies would be resolved if all drivers/inspectors etc were singing from the same hymn sheet because I have been on a few buses that were delayed leaving busaras because passengers who had been there waiting for 20 minutes only approach a driver or inspector at the last second to check some issue with their ticket. The inspector then has to sort that out which can take a few minutes and then the luggage doors open and close and passenger boards.

Man you seriously over complicate this.

Clearly you don't fly anywhere from an airport very often.

I give up.

No I am not over complicating this.

The rules of airport boarding has nothing to do with the issue being discussed.

I will make the point again, you can't tell me, that passengers are actually technically late, in every case where they catch the bus at the gate at Bus Aras just before it departs.

Just because someone who is already at the bus station before the bus arrives at the gate who then gets on the bus, does not mean that anyone who gets to the bus shortly afterwards, just before it departs, is actually late, if the person boards the bus before the time it is scheduled to leave.

If the passenger was actually late, the bus would have already left the gate parking area.

If someone makes a general point, they can't generalise and say that every passenger who gets on a bus just before it leaves, is actually late.

No I am not over complicating this.

The rules of airport boarding has nothing to do with the issue being discussed.

I will make the point again, you can't tell me, that passengers are actually technically late, in every case where they catch the bus at the gate at Bus Aras just before it departs.

Just because someone who is already at the bus station before the bus arrives at the gate who then gets on the bus, does not mean that anyone who gets to the bus shortly afterwards, just before it departs, is actually late, if the person boards the bus before the time it is scheduled to leave.

If the passenger was actually late, the bus would have already left the gate parking area.

If someone makes a general point, they can't generalise and say that every passenger who gets on a bus just before it leaves, is actually late.

Man - give over - these posts are just rambling on and on - I've no intention of continuing this discussion.

At this point the ignore button is becoming very tempting.

Man - give over - these posts are just rambling on and on - I've no intention of continuing this discussion.

At this point the ignore button is becoming very tempting.

That's very mature of you!

I may well be repeating myself, but you cannot argue against what I am suggesting, which may well be the case in instances where people just about manage to catch buses.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Generally in Busaras when the driver sticks the bus into reverse that is it The doors won't open for anyone. but some drivers would go around the building again if they thought they were leaving someone behind, I have no issue with this on the last bus of the night but once the bus door closes for all other services there should be no exceptions.

I think many issues like this for bus companies would be resolved if all drivers/inspectors etc were singing from the same hymn sheet because I have been on a few buses that were delayed leaving busaras because passengers who had been there waiting for 20 minutes only approach a driver or inspector at the last second to check some issue with their ticket. The inspector then has to sort that out which can take a few minutes and then the luggage doors open and close and passenger boards.

I know that. That's what happened to me and I was not complaining about that.

The point I am making is that considering that is the practice, if people manage to board buses before they depart, it stands to reason that the bus has not started moving yet, in which case they are perfectly entitled to board the bus, and not be made feel that they are inconveniencing other passengers who consider them to be mere "stragglers", just because they got on the bus after the people who were already waiting for the bus before it had arrived at the parking area.

That's very mature of you!

I may well be repeating myself, but you cannot argue against what I am suggesting, which may well be the case in instances where people just about manage to catch buses.

Indeed but you keep on missing the point that I was making and rambling on and on and on.

My point is that if there was a rule that the gate door at Busaras closes 1 or 2 minutes before the scheduled departure time of the bus (which is what Tom23 was implying) then all of this palaver becomes irrelevant.

Anyone who arrived at the gate after that point misses the bus.

End of story.

• Advertisement

Indeed but you keep on missing the point that I was making and rambling on and on and on.

My point is that if there was a rule that the gate door at Busaras closes 1 or 2 minutes before the scheduled departure time of the bus (which is what Tom23 was implying) then all of this palaver becomes irrelevant.

Anyone who arrived at the gate after that point misses the bus.

End of story.

No I am not missing the point.

The point really is, that the people Tom23 said were late, may well not have been late at all, if they got on the bus, before it started reversing from the gate area.

As foggy_lad stated above, the practice is that passengers are not allowed on the bus after the bus has started moving.

The bus starts moving at the time it is scheduled to depart.

"End of story".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭tom23

Was the bus moving before the other passengers got on the bus?

No to all. I am referring to the door in the building. I have a watch and I know how to read it. Bus should depart on time, because lets face it, bus are is not the easiest place to get out of.

The point really is, that the people Tom23 said were late, may well not have been late at all, if they got on the bus, before it started reversing from the gate area.

As foggy_lad stated above, the practice is that passengers are not allowed on the bus after the bus has started moving.

"End of story".

You are missing the point, people boarded the bus after the bus was meant to depart, they boarded the bus because the door to the bay was not closed. It usually is or should be. And I don't give a rats arse about people getting delayed, suck it up like the rest of us when it happens.

I know that. That's what happened to me and I was not complaining about that.

The point I am making is that considering that is the practice, if people manage to board buses before they depart, it stands to reason that the bus has not started moving yet, in which case they are perfectly entitled to board the bus, and not be made feel that they are inconveniencing other passengers who consider them to be mere "stragglers", just because they got on the bus after the people who were already waiting for the bus before it had arrived at the parking area.
    Many people are arriving to Busaras at the very last minute and for them they are LATE because by the time they stow their luggage then board the bus and pay the driver they have delayed the departure of the bus regardless of whether the bus door was open or closed or even if the bus had started to reverse out of the bay in Busaras.

"End of story".
    Generally they are not allowed on after the bus door has been closed by the driver and nobody paying cash should ever be allowed board any bus in Busaras.

The only way to sort this is to install automatic doors to the bus loading areas in Busaras but there are still going to be people who will break those by getting caught in them or by forcing them open when they are clearly late for their bus!

Leave for the bus a minute or three earlier and all will be well!

You are missing the point, people boarded the bus after the bus was meant to depart, they boarded the bus because the door to the bay was not closed. It usually is or should be. And I don't give a rats arse about people getting delayed, suck it up like the rest of us when it happens.

The bay doors are rarely operated to coincide with departure times, generally they are opened by drivers when a bus starts loading and it is then left to whoever is hanging around busaras to close the doors but this rarely happens at the scheduled departure time of the buses. usually the doors are closed long after a bus departs and usually when some staff member feels a gale blowing through it.

This also causes a nightmare for security as it leaves the bus bays and opened luggage bays open season for the various people hanging around busaras looking for any opportunity to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Apologies if this has been answered already but is the 109 from Cavan going through the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre or are they stopping that for December? I seem to remember they stopped going into the Centre for a few weeks in the lead up to Xmas last December.

gazzer wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been answered already but is the 109 from Cavan going through the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre or are they stopping that for December? I seem to remember they stopped going into the Centre for a few weeks in the lead up to Xmas last December.

From the BE Website:
    Routes 105 and 109 will not operate via Blanchardstown Shopping Centre during the Christmas Period

Bus Éireann wishes to notify customers that from Monday, 30 November 2015 to Sunday, 3 January 2016 inclusive, services on Bus Éireann route 109 Dublin – Dunshaughlin – Navan – Kells – Virginia – Cavan and Route 105 Ratoath – Dublin will not serve the stops within Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

Services from Dublin will continue to pick up passengers at our existing stop on the Blanchardstown S.C Slip Road Westbound.

Services to Dublin will continue to drop off passengers at our existing stop on the Blanchardstown S.C Slip Road Eastbound.

This arrangement is to eliminate any potential for delays due to traffic congestion during the busy Christmas shopping period.

Bus Éireann regrets any inconvenience this alteration may cause our customers.

Tuesday, 24th November, 2015

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Many people are arriving to Busaras at the very last minute and for them they are LATE because by the time they stow their luggage then board the bus and pay the driver they have delayed the departure of the bus regardless of whether the bus door was open or closed or even if the bus had started to reverse out of the bay in Busaras.

Generally they are not allowed on after the bus door has been closed by the driver
    and nobody paying cash should ever be allowed board any bus in Busaras.

The only way to sort this is to install automatic doors to the bus loading areas in Busaras but there are still going to be people who will break those by getting caught in them or by forcing them open when they are clearly late for their bus!

Leave for the bus a minute or three earlier and all will be well!
    No to all. I am referring to the door in the building. I have a watch and I know how to read it. Bus should depart on time, because lets face it, bus are is not the easiest place to get out of.

I asked if the bus was moving, before the passengers that Tom23 said were late, got on the bus.

The first question I asked was "Was the bus moving before the other passengers got on the bus?"

I also asked "Perhaps they got on the bus just before it started moving?"

The response I got was "no to all", to the questions I raised.

There were two opposing questions of the three that I asked and Tom23 replied "No to all".

So, was the bus was moving before the passengers got on the bus?

If the bus moves at the time it is scheduled to leave and the passengers got on the bus before it started moving, that suggests that the bus had not yet departed, in which case the passengers boarded the bus before it was scheduled to depart, in which case they were still on time for the bus.

Tom23 did not answer my earlier question, on page 70, as to whether or not he has just about caught a bus in time, before it departs, like the passengers, about which he is complaining.

If so, was the bus was moving before he got on the bus?

Did he cause it to stop, to let him on?

If either of you were one of those passengers, who got on the bus just before it departs, and you got to the bus before it left, and the driver let you on - even if it was late leaving - would you then get on the bus?

Or would you say to yourself, it is one minute after scheduled departure time, I won't delay the bus, I'll wait 30 minutes for the next bus and complain that - rather than going out the Port Tunnel - it goes through Phibsborough, Blanchardstown, Clonee and Dunshaughlin?

I just do not believe, that anyone who uses buses so regularly, who are complaining about other passengers being late for buses, were never ever late for buses themselves. I don't believe that they would not then get on a bus that had not yet departed, if the driver permitted them on the bus - despite them being late for that bus - even if the bus was still at the gate parking area after the time it was scheduled to leave.

I do not believe, that if bus users find themselves in a situation of being late themselves - despite giving out about other passengers being late - that they would not, on a point of principle, accept being let on those buses for which they are late, when the driver lets them on.

I asked if the bus was moving, before the passengers that Tom23 said were late, got on the bus.

The first question I asked was "Was the bus moving before the other passengers got on the bus?"

I also asked "Perhaps they got on the bus just before it started moving?"

The response I got was "no to all", to the questions I raised.

There were two opposing questions of the three that I asked and Tom23 replied "No to all".

So, was the bus was moving before the passengers got on the bus?

If the bus moves at the time it is scheduled to leave and the passengers got on the bus before it started moving, that suggests that the bus had not yet departed, in which case the passengers boarded the bus before it was scheduled to depart, in which case they were still on time for the bus.

Tom23 did not answer my earlier question, on page 70, as to whether or not he has just about caught a bus in time, before it departs, like the passengers, about which he is complaining.

If so, was the bus was moving before he got on the bus?

Did he cause it to stop, to let him on?

If either of you were one of those passengers, who got on the bus just before it departs, and you got to the bus before it left, and the driver let you on - even if it was late leaving - would you then get on the bus?

Or would you say to yourself, it is one minute after scheduled departure time, I won't delay the bus, I'll wait 30 minutes for the next bus and complain that - rather than going out the Port Tunnel - it goes through Phibsborough, Blanchardstown, Clonee and Dunshaughlin?

I just do not believe, that anyone who uses buses so regularly, who are complaining about other passengers being late for buses, were never ever late for buses themselves. I don't believe that they would not then get on a bus that had not yet departed, if the driver permitted them on the bus - despite them being late for that bus - even if the bus was still at the gate parking area after the time it was scheduled to leave.

I do not believe, that if bus users find themselves in a situation of being late themselves - despite giving out about other passengers being late - that they would not, on a point of principle, accept being let on those buses for which they are late, when the driver lets them on.

I actually forgot why I don't tune into this thread as much anymore.

I very much believe in the fact that if I queue on time I expect the bus to at least depart on time. So that I don't have to spend any more than the 75-90 minute average journey to navan. There is a reason why buses depart every 15 minutes during PEAK times.

I find it irritating that people think its ok to rush up to a bus as its trying to depart and said bus is trying to avoid 4-5 other buses that are also trying to depart and the driver feels obligated to open the door and let them on. And said person fumbles here there and everywhere for money, leapcard or plain old crumpled up ticket. But hey no more tut tuting from me, just in case you are sitting beside me and decide to sing we are the world.

And no to your question on page 70, like the ads say... once they are gone, they are gone.

• Advertisement

I actually forgot why I don't tune into this thread as much anymore.

I very much believe in the fact that if I queue on time I expect the bus to at least depart on time. So that I don't have to spend any more than the 75-90 minute average journey to navan. There is a reason why buses depart every 15 minutes during PEAK times.

I find it irritating that people think its ok to rush up to a bus as its trying to depart and said bus is trying to avoid 4-5 other buses that are also trying to depart and the driver feels obligated to open the door and let them on. And said person fumbles here there and everywhere for money, leapcard or plain old crumpled up ticket. But hey no more tut tuting from me, just in case you are sitting beside me and decide to sing we are the world.

And no to your question on page 70, like the ads say... once they are gone, they are gone.

You haven't answered the question in the post that you quoted.

I do not believe you, if you are trying to suggest that you would not get on the express service that goes out the port tunnel, if you just managed to get to Bus Aras as it was departing, if the driver was letting you on, if it was still at the gate area after the scheduled time of departure.

I do not believe you if you are trying to suggest you wouldn't accept being let board that express bus, despite it being late leaving Bus Aras, considering your alternatives were; the next available bus that leaves at the same time, then buses 15 minutes and 30 minutes later, all of which mean having to go through Phibsborough, Blanchardstown, Clonee and Dunshaughlin, or having to wait another hour for the next express service to Navan.

Given how much you complain about these services covering all the other towns, I find it very hard to believe that you would not accept being let on the express service, in a situation where it was late leaving the gate area and your alternative options for the next hour meant taking buses through Phibsborough, Blanchardstown, Clonee and Dunshaughlin.

Advertisement