Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've Been Trumped

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Anyone else, just send me a pm rather than post here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

the BBC are you tracking you down SnowDrifts

dont be too surprised if Ivanka Trump rocks up at your house later

dont be too surprised if Ivanka Trump rocks up at your house later

Something would rock up alright :D

Watched parts of it again this morning - still shocking to see how money can have such influence over authority. The part where the two police officers arrive at that woman's house and proceed to arrest the cameraman is fairly shocking and a flagrant abuse of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Panorama doing a follow up on this now bbc 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Goldenjohn wrote: »

What a pig of a man he is

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

If anyone missed this documentary it is now on UK Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

I signed up for netflix last week and was browsing through it the other night and I think I saw it listed there. I could be wrong. Netflix is free for the month so if you really wanted to see it, that would be an option.

EDIT: Just saw the post above.... /EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

IS there any other place the follow up is, on BBC Iplayer or elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Goldenjohn wrote: »

What was the gist of the follow up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Its on youtube called the trouble with trump only a half an hour long so worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Watched the panorama programme and come on what a terrible one sided show it is, anymore who gets taken in so easily is a little naive IMO.

The real people to blame here are the Scottish Government. What else do you expect from a man like Donald Trump? If you dance with the devil you will to get burnt. He's only in it for what he can get, the same as numerous businessmen the world over, nothing new. Although I don't agree with underhand tactics with the other homeowners, he offered to buy each of there homes but they wanted 20 times the actual price, meaning if the value was 50,000 they wanted a 1,000,000 which in my eyes is greed in itself. Besides that farmers land was a dump and should be cleaned up. If Lough Erne's course boarded a farm like that they would want it cleaned up too. With any high end project like this you will put people out of joint I'm sure it was the same for any new links like Doonbeg or the European club but that's life I suppose, however that doesn't give Trump the right to be underhanded like I said before.

In fairness it's the economic situation that does not allow someone to build a luxury hotel and 500 odd houses right now, so from a businessman's point of view why build them now when your going to lose money, wait till times get a little better. The second course is going ahead which I'm sure will be a class act.

I spend quite a bit of time in the UK and have worked with a few scots with one being from Aberdeenshire and he was completely for the course. The course will bring in high yield tourists wanting to pay a premium for a top product and while in the area will want luxurious accommodation and more than willing to spend high amounts in local restaurants & shops. 

I for one would definitely love to play the course, the photos look some of the best I've seen. I don't mean to come across as all pro Trump, like you there's parts of the man I detest, but these panorama shows need to be taken with a pinch of salt given that they are so lob sided, if it was more even I would have taken greater notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Watched the panorama programme and come on what a terrible one sided show it is, anymore who gets taken in so easily is a little naive IMO.

The real people to blame here are the Scottish Government. What else do you expect from a man like Donald Trump? If you dance with the devil you will to get burnt. He's only in it for what he can get, the same as numerous businessmen the world over, nothing new. Although I don't agree with underhand tactics with the other homeowners, he offered to buy each of there homes but they wanted 20 times the actual price, meaning if the value was 50,000 they wanted a 1,000,000 which in my eyes is greed in itself. Besides that farmers land was a dump and should be cleaned up. If Lough Erne's course boarded a farm like that they would want it cleaned up too. With any high end project like this you will put people out of joint I'm sure it was the same for any new links like Doonbeg or the European club but that's life I suppose, however that doesn't give Trump the right to be underhanded like I said before.

In fairness it's the economic situation that does not allow someone to build a luxury hotel and 500 odd houses right now, so from a businessman's point of view why build them now when your going to lose money, wait till times get a little better. The second course is going ahead which I'm sure will be a class act.

I spend quite a bit of time in the UK and have worked with a few scots with one being from Aberdeenshire and he was completely for the course. The course will bring in high yield tourists wanting to pay a premium for a top product and while in the area will want luxurious accommodation and more than willing to spend high amounts in local restaurants & shops. 

I for one would definitely love to play the course, the photos look some of the best I've seen. I don't mean to come across as all pro Trump, like you there's parts of the man I detest, but these panorama shows need to be taken with a pinch of salt given that they are so lob sided, if it was more even I would have taken greater notice.

Was one sided, but look at what they were up against.

Just giving a voice to the voiceless.

Thank God for journalism like that, we could have done with more of that in Ireland over the last 30 years.

I think anybody taken in by Trump is very naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I think anybody taken in by Trump is very naive.

Scottish Government

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

That course will not bring in that many tourists, for God sake. How many tourists does the surrounding area of the European club or Baltray get, no doubt far better courses? Day trippers.

The disgusting part for me is the collusion between Gov/business and the police, and the willful destruction of habitat that is very rare in Europe. He destroyed so much of it.

I like my links courses with the minimal destruction of dunes.

Scottish Government

It was cronyism of the highest order, under no circumstances should a minister, never mind first minister be meeting a developer.

It all sounds too familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

The 2 hour documentary "You 've Been Trumped" was on RTE1 tonight so anyone who still wants to see it perhaps it will be on the RTE Player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

First time seeing this programme about Trump in Scotland....terrible treatment of locals..
    I wonder will he do this in Doonbeg??

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Doom wrote: »
    First time seeing this programme about Trump in Scotland....terrible treatment of locals..
    I wonder will he do this in Doonbeg??

Just watched it.. I'm ashamed of the Irish contractor who was very arrogant and self righteous throughout, especially the way he dealt with the mans water been cut off. You wouldn't expect anything less from Trump of course. But it's the treatment of the locals by the police which irked me the most which shows that money as always, talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Watched it. Pretty unpleasant business all round. I won't be patronising any of Mr Trump's courses - Doonbeg included.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I believe that the hotel at Doonbeg will close during the winter period from now on, cannot imagine employees been happy at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Watched it and disliked Trump and all his organisation intensely ... That being said , I'm off to play Doonbeg next week , I'm easily swayed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Fruitcakes like him make me despair about humanity...i have nothing against Fruit or cakes by the way although i have to say not mad about honeydew melons or Marzipan.

Fruitcakes like him make me despair about humanity...i have nothing against Fruit or cakes by the way although i have to say not mad about honeydew melons or Marzipan.

To be honest that is a fairly strong stance from R&A - and they are not know for making that sort of political leaning publicly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Also seems like the PGA are looking to part ways with Trump... they are talking about moving the WGC-Cadillac away from Doral.

PGA Tour may move WGC-Cadillac event from Donald Trump's Doral

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

There'll always be fruitcakes like him. The thing that causes despair is that so many other fruitcakes support him.

There'll always be fruitcakes like him. The thing that causes despair is that so many other fruitcakes support him.
    Agreed tolerance can be a hard road but in the long run it is the only road that gives us all a future, anyway back to golf did not know that Herr Trumpolinni owned Turnberry.

Agreed tolerance can be a hard road but in the long run it is the only road that gives us all a future, anyway back to golf did not know that Herr Trumpolinni owned Turnberry.

Yes, but tolerance is a two way street.

Suppression of an alternative view is not tolerance.

You need alternative views , to challenge the norm. Whilst Trump is being deliberately provocative, it still alters the political discourse ?

Has America overcooked the American dream ?
    Can a country have an uncontrolled border ?
    Has America let their manufacturing base go too much ?
    Is there criminality in America from South and Central America ?

Whilst in our comfort here in europe, we can laugh at it - they are real and important questions to an American - I think we sometimes over emphasis our understanding of America here.

Would these question arise if the exteme didn't exist ?

I've often looked at a 16 handicap player take on 230 yards over water with a tight pin - and pull it off 1 in 50 times.

They challenge perception , reality and your own ideas - you need people like that now and again :D

• Advertisement

Trump type views were the norm for the middle part of the last century this norm being enforced through the suppression of free speech by the state. We have not seen any suppression of these views as they have been widely reported in the media, the 2 way street is (relatively) open here in western Europe but it needs constant work and vigilance to keep it that way. The deep inequality that exists on our planet now being increasingly brought home to the poorer nations and peoples through mass and social media of the world may lead to even more bitterness, resentment and violence being directed against the "Rich North" i suppose when you think about it in terms of greater time we only got out of the caves a second ago and its gonna take time for a predatory species to turn into one that instinctively knows that being tolerant towards others within a greater moralistic social norm with agreed responsibilities is the only way this planet and boardsies of the future will be able to enjoy an aul game of golf,only on 9 hole courses though,remember we got to mind the planet as its the only decent one in our neck of the galactic woods.

Advertisement