Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods-Climate change-Global warming-Causes-Outcome-Precidtions....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as anthropogenic climate change.

It really is the natural cycle of the planet, but human history is such a narrow band within that, that we have never seen the entire cycle in action before
    That's not really true. We're not just working off recorded history we can get a very good idea of what weather was like going back thousands of years using the ice stored in the poles.

The bottom line is earth's ecosystem is a balance of chemicals, elements and stored energy. We can't assume that if we start moving millions of tons of those elements from one place to another that it will have zero effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

c_man wrote: »
    Which parts of Ireland will be underwater?

I guess many towns up and down the Shannon will be flooded.
    Cork City centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Evelyn Cusack was on the wireless the other day and said there hasn't been any increase in yearly rainfall in Ireland.
    Floods happen from time to time,sometimes more than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98032573&postcount=42
    Now might be a good time for Irish Water to push though that plan to use Shannon river water to supply Dublin.

That was mentioned in some media discussion, apparently the waterflow for that would be 12m³/sec. On a typical day 98m3/s at Athlone and 300m3/s at Limerick is pushed through the Shannon system which surely buries the idea that Dublin would be stealing the Weshts water, they should be glad to be rid of some of it!

David Bellamy frozen out by BBC, because he doesn't believe in 'man made' global warming.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266188/David-Bellamy-The-BBC-froze-I-dont-believe-global-warming.html

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    David Bellamy frozen out by BBC, because he doesn't believe in 'man made' global warming.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266188/David-Bellamy-The-BBC-froze-I-dont-believe-global-warming.html

The policy of burning the heretics just makes them look fanatical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

kneemos wrote: »
    The policy of burning the heretics just makes them look fanatical.

That is a shame; I don't think he should have been driven out, or frozen out. He's done a lot of good work, and he seems like a decent man. I don't agree with his position, it doesn't seem like he's looked very much into it, but not everyone will have the time or inclination to study the facts.

"heretics" and "fanatical" are both rather foolish words to use. There is no "believe", really. There is "the evidence shows" or "the evidence suggests" in cases of lesser certainly. It is not a matter of faith, it is a matter of scientific analysis. I've studied the evidence - hell, I've contributed to it! I don't "believe" in it any more than I "believe" in the sky. The evidence is there.

I have no doubt there -are- fanatics on the pro- side as well as the anti-side. There's fanatics for everything, and they're pretty ignorable. 'Course, one needs to decide just how much "disagreeing with you" = "fanaticism"!

Not sure how often David Bellamy has been seen on the BBC in the last 10 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Personally I feel we've gone too far in reversing the effects and can at best just mitigate and adapt. These weather patterns of severe flooding in northern Europe are likely to be the norm in the future.

If we built on less flood plains, then we'd have less floods. I live in an area that never flooded until it was swarmed by industrial estates. Granted it's not the worst flooding in my case -- but it's clear that poor planning is usually the cause.

Overall, our annual precipitation hasn't changed within the last 15 years but we all know what did. Global Warming may well be bringing new storms (debatable - we have better reporting now so we notice more) but we've set ourselves up for more damage with our methods of construction.

River management or lack of, bog cultivation along with bad planning could all be culprits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

seamus wrote: »
    Anyone who denies climate change is right up there at the same level of idiocy as anti-vaxxers.

There is no denying that climate change is occurring, and if it's not due to human activity, then it's a very big fncking coincidence that this once-in-60-million-years sudden change event happened at the same time that our CO2 emissions went through the roof.

60 million years? Do our weather records go back that far?

I was walking into town (Waterford) from the suburbs the other day - I passed Millers Marsh and Kingsmeadow both of which are of course completely built over! Kingsmeadow was largely fallow land up until about 25 years ago before it was concreted over with 'ring road' type large shops and small industrial units. Predictably the roads flooded on a regular basis though remedial work has now largely beaten that issue. Of course it might have been better to have left it green and semi boggy but well inside the city limits it was always going to be developed I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

A meadow is a grassy field. It doesnt imply any flooding or wetland.

Do you know are area? If you did you'd know it floods (or did) thanks to Johns River.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    60 million years? Do our weather records go back that far?

Dendrochronology + glacier core boring = palaeoclimatology!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Soft-ish for December. Farmers'll be delighted. Except in Athlone, obviously. Athlone is even more like Bangladesh than usual lately.

COP21 climate change summit reaches deal in Paris.

...so we all agree to drop the planets temprature by 1.5 degrees C.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5itS0ntfJAhVFtg8KHbV9DqgQqQIINDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fscience-environment-35084374&usg=AFQjCNHVjHhWOjr8x1vVxYWUk-Ghg9KTuA&sig2=yJEdDcWXyxNsNj9Z9sZ_CQ&bvm=bv.109910813,d.ZWU

Excuse me if I seem a little skeptical, but to me this looks like some kind of mass "King Canute syndrome" wherby people actually think that they can stop nature's way, in just the same way as the poor old King thought he could stop the tide coming in :cool:

Climate change/Global warming is part of the natural cycle of the planet, and no amount of treaty signatures will change that. Rock on Bellamy I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5itS0ntfJAhVFtg8KHbV9DqgQqQIINDAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fscience-environment-35084374&usg=AFQjCNHVjHhWOjr8x1vVxYWUk-Ghg9KTuA&sig2=yJEdDcWXyxNsNj9Z9sZ_CQ&bvm=bv.109910813,d.ZWU

Excuse me if I seem a little skeptical, but to me this looks like some kind of mass "King Canute syndrome" wherby people actually think that they can stop nature's way, in just the same way as the poor old King thought he could stop the tide coming in :cool:

Climate change/Global warming is part of the natural cycle of the planet, and no amount of treaty signatures will change that. Rock on Bellamy I say.

The planet may have other ideas. I think "we" flatter ourselves as to our influence. It's a bit like the flea claiming to be steering the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Nothing will really change. They'll layer some extra carbon tax onto us and China will keep sending plenty of coal up in shmoke to make cheap Chinese sh1te to send over to our part of the world in container ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Nothing will really change. They'll layer some extra carbon tax onto us and China will keep sending plenty of coal up in shmoke to make cheap Chinese sh1te to send over to our part of the world in container ships.

"I've a mad idea lads - let's tax carbon! We can tell them it's to save the world!"

"Don't be stupid, that idea will never work, people will laugh at us"

"Ah sure let's give it a lash, sure maybe they'll fall for it, they fall for everything else -even the hippies will support it.."

"Give it a go - I doubt it will work though.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Something is always needed to scare the sheep and keep them in line

not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Man-Made or not, we still need to address the issue of changing climates otherwise we will have migration on a much larger scale than just that of Syria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

shane9689 wrote: »
    Man-Made or not, we still need to address the issue of changing climates otherwise we will have migration on a much larger scale than just that of Syria

And if it's not man made and our input has had little effect we are still fooked. Earth has been hotter in the past and colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Lots of cheering & thumbs up from a hall in France as they print tens of thousands of pages of this agreement.

The only concrete commitment is to confiscate more of our money with no verifiably positive outcome for it.

It just seems a massive lack of imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The planet may have other ideas. I think "we" flatter ourselves as to our influence. It's a bit like the flea claiming to be steering the dog.

well, fleas are small but I'm sure dogs know about it when they have them. 6 billion is alot of fleas! There, thank you - I've also just compared the human race to a flea infestation and "mother earth" to a dog. Think I'll go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

...which surely buries the idea that Dublin would be stealing the Weshts water, they should be glad to be rid of some of it!

Likely counter-argument is that its "thin end of wedge" stuff and before you know it the rapacious GDA's ever expanding population will be slurping up all the Western water, especially during summer when the Shannon is low...

I doubt increased winter flooding would make a whit of difference to strong opposition to that Irish Water/Dublin City Council idea; its instinctive visceral stuff.

I suppose some locks or controls at a higher level on how much Irish Water can extract and when they can do it, might be an answer (if project ever goes ahead)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

God just forgot to switch off the immersion

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Canute never thought he could stop the tide, you got the whole entire point of the story backwards. So excuse me if I seem a little skeptical of someone who doesn't even understand a really straightforward myth about a King who knew he had no power over the tide proving to his courtiers that he had no power over the tide.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm currently reading Philippe Verdier's book, Climat investigation. He's the French meteorologist who was recently sacked from his TV weather man job because he intended to publish said book.
    There's too much in it to explain here... to give a broad idea, he does not deny climate change, but does question the validity of linking it to human activity, and questions the transparency, bias, and exposes weaknesses in various studies on climate change.
    He describes economic (and political) policies and how they link to the issue.

He is of the opinion that human impact is greatly over estimated, and the sense of emergency is calculated and not justified.

He makes the very valid point that over population and increasing fertility rates are a lot more serious for our planet than reducing emissions, but that the subject is so taboo and less profitable that nobody wants to bring it up.

• Advertisement

I'm currently reading Philippe Verdier's book, Climat investigation. He's the French meteorologist who was recently sacked from his TV weather man job because he intended to publish said book.
    There's too much in it to explain here... to give a broad idea, he does not deny climate change, but does question the validity of linking it to human activity, and questions the transparency, bias, and exposes weaknesses in various studies on climate change.
    He describes economic (and political) policies and how they link to the issue.

He is of the opinion that human impact is greatly over estimated, and the sense of emergency is calculated and not justified.

He makes the very valid point that over population and increasing fertility rates are a lot more serious for our planet than reducing emissions, but that the subject is so taboo and less profitable that nobody wants to bring it up.

That's what winds me up.Real issues like overpopulation and destruction of the environment gets ignored in favour of electric cars and windmills.

Advertisement