Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods-Climate change-Global warming-Causes-Outcome-Precidtions....

Options
  • 09-12-2015 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

So there's floods everywhere, with storm after storm rolling in from the Atlantic in December, with heavy winter rainfall & strong winds, but what or who is to blame? The current trend of thought is that 'we' have created these weather patterns, we have created the high winds, the heavy rain and the floods, so its all our fault for burning fossil fuels ..... However, A cynic might say well 'ya know what' its winter so what do you expect??? The natural cycle of planet Earth? or our burning of fossil fuels/pollution?

I'm a cynic, what are you?

What's your take on Climate change/Global warming? 98 votes

Climate change is real, and its occurring because of our man made actions.
    0% 0 votes
    Of courseClimate change is real, but its happening due to the planets natural cycle.
    36% 36 votes
    Climate change is real, and its probably due to the effect of solar flares.
    14% 14 votes
    Climate change is due to the natural cycle of the planet + some human activity.
    3% 3 votes
    The whole fake Climate change “story” is one giant money making racket.
    36% 36 votes
    I am a climate change denier, climate change/global warming is just not real.
    7% 7 votes
    *Other theories....
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There'll be weather when we're all dead

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Grand and mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The main thing to remember is that's its just one thing. We have to have this black and white. We all have to form strong opinions on what the cause is and then lobby that point.

There is no way its a complex combination of factors working together in a complicated and hard to discern pattern. No way.

It is, for sure, one single thing. We have to find the one thing and then stick rigidly to that so the masses can understand. That's the important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Where is the option for "Illuminati/Patriarchy/Lizard people/Reverse vampire plot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

I blame the bad weather. We never get floods when the sun shines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

It's a mixture of issues. While natural climate variations do occur as a normal part of Earth's 'life' they never happen to quite the rapid extent we have seen since the dawn of the industrial revolution with the exception of massive one off events such as volcanic eruptions or asteroid strikes. To deny man made climate change is literally pissing into the wind at this stage, the amount of evidence for it is overwhelming. Eventually the Earth will reach an equilibrium and the climate will stablise but this takes millions of years.

Personally I feel we've gone too far in reversing the effects and can at best just mitigate and adapt. These weather patterns of severe flooding in northern Europe are likely to be the norm in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I don't think there's any doubt we've had an impact on the planet's climate. At the same time, we should be more worried about our own survival. The Earth will get by just fine without us, and would recover in a geological blink of the eye from the damage. But overall I'm an optimist and think we'll sort something out in the next century.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone who denies climate change is right up there at the same level of idiocy as anti-vaxxers.

There is no denying that climate change is occurring, and if it's not due to human activity, then it's a very big fncking coincidence that this once-in-60-million-years sudden change event happened at the same time that our CO2 emissions went through the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Where's the options for "Climate change is due to the natural cycle of the planet, but accelerated due to human activity"? Option 4 doesn't really fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Something is always needed to scare the sheep and keep them in line

• Advertisement

Anything to be said for a further option: "Man made, but done under instruction of, and guidance from, alien species which want the planet transformed into a suitable habitat for their eventual colonisation"

All I'm saying is, it fits with a lot of the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

smash wrote: »
    Where's the options for "Climate change is due to the natural cycle of the planet, but accelerated due to human activity"? Option 4 doesn't really fit.

Option 4 is close enough for you, I mean you can't have every single 'nuanced' variation in the poll, so choose option 4 and explain your understsnding on the issue. Let's hear your take on the subject.

c_man wrote: »
    Anything to be said for a further option: "Man made, but done under instruction of, and guidance from, alien species which want the planet transformed into a suitable habitat for their eventual colonisation"

All I'm saying is, it fits with a lot of the evidence.

And if it doesn't fit sure just change it.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Option 4 is close enough for you, I mean you can't have every single 'nuanced' variation in the poll, so choose option 4 and explain your understsnding on the issue. Let's hear your take on the subject.
    Na, I went with option 2 :P

I firmly believe it's the cycle of the planet, but that as a species we've rapidly accelerated the process, and that no matter how much talk there is of reducing the output of toxic gasses, this isn't what industry or governments actually want. If it's what they want then there would be fines in place, and not a system where you can trade your carbon vouchers, or whatever they're called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

It is nearly impossible to know but I think human activity has some impact on the weather we experience.

The St. Stephen's Day earthquake 10(?) years ago shifted the magnetic North Pole; that has to have some effect on the weather systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,273 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

2015 will be recorded as the hottest year since records began. Global warming deniers were falling over themselves pointing at an alleged 'hiatus' in global warming at the start of this year. (based on cherrypicked data as usual)

Akrasia wrote: »
    2015 will be recorded as the hottest year since records began. Global warming deniers were falling over themselves pointing at an alleged 'hiatus' in global warming at the start of this year. (based on cherrypicked data as usual)

I don't believe in Global Warming. I believe in Climate change though. There's a difference. :P

I don't believe in Global Warming. I believe in Climate change though. There's a difference. :P

Not really. They're both the same thing. Climate change is what happens because of global warming.

Most scientists will talk about 'anthropogenic global warming' which is the part of global warming that is attributed to human activity

The fact that the total energy budget on planet earth is increasing changes the climates of every region differently, so this is why both global warming and climate change are valid terms to use.

Not much support for the global warming theory judging by the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Akrasia wrote: »
    Not really. They're both the same thing. Climate change is what happens because of global warming.

Most scientists will talk about 'anthropogenic global warming' which is the part of global warming that is attributed to human activity

The fact that the total energy budget on planet earth is increasing changes the climates of every region differently, so this is why both global warming and climate change are valid terms to use.

It is a pain in the hole to explain to deniers why some regions of the world will get colder due to a varying energy budget while some will get hotter so I usually stick with climate change so I don't get pulled into the whole "well it's colder in xyz location now then it was 100 years ago so how is it getting warmer?" bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It is a pain in the hole to explain to deniers why some regions of the world will get colder due to a varying energy budget while some will get hotter so I usually stick with climate change so I don't get pulled into the whole "well it's colder in xyz location now then it was 100 years ago so how is it getting warmer?" bull****.
    I prefer (anthropogenic) climate change too, as the atmosphere is complicated enough that global warming could also lead to global cooling later through feedbacks

I prefer (anthropogenic) climate change too, as the atmosphere is complicated enough that global warming could also lead to global cooling later through feedbacks

Calling it 'Climate change' leads the idiots to retort 'But the climate is always changing'

Which is in itself a betrayal of ignorance, because climate is supposed to be stable on human timescales, that's the difference between climate and weather

Climate only changes rapidly due to an abnormal event forcing a change (Astroids striking, large volcanic eruptions, humans pumping millions of years worth of sequestered CO2 into the atmosphere in only a few decades)

You can't win when you're talking to wilfully ignorant people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

A poll of the scientists would give a very different result. But what do they know?
    I don't think there's any doubt we've had an impact on the planet's climate. At the same time, we should be more worried about our own survival. The Earth will get by just fine without us, and would recover in a geological blink of the eye from the damage. But overall I'm an optimist and think we'll sort something out in the next century.

We are worried about our own survival. That's why we're worried about climate change.

My understanding is that the Earth is in a natural cycle of cooling right now so there is no natural contribution to the warming we're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's always dangerous to ascribe one set of weather events to "climate change". It's a pattern that we need to look for. There is a strong El Nino event this year, and random strong events -do- occur. But scientists will always be very cautious in saying "this happened because of climate change" because it's just plain unprovable.

I would say that we -are- seeing an increase in extreme events in the last few decades, and that fits the pattern we would expect to see with a warming planet. We are also seeing an increase in strong El Nino events, and particularly strong Modoki events (a variant form of El Nino, where the warming starts at two distinct points rather than one warm patch), and that, along with resultant extreme weather events, may well also fit that pattern.

Part of the issue is that a lot of non-scientists that are following this in the news are understandably confused by what seems to be contradictory information, coupled with half-remembered geography lessons from long ago on natural cycles such as Milankovitch cycles, and ice ages.

I chose the first option, because from all available evidence, the sort of abrupt climate change that we're really worrying about -is- due to anthropogenic influences. Yes, there are slow natural changes in the climate over a long period of time. But..hm...okay, taking an analogy. One's weight naturally changes over one's lifetime. But when one puts on a stone suddenly, one doesn't talk about the natural weight shifting, one considers that it's probably due to the diet of fast food over the past couple of months! To argue about the natural cycles is a bit analogous to taking into account that one suddenly had their thirtieth birthday. Sure, metabolism slows down, but that extra stone was probably the pizzas!

Edit: Attempted to make my analogy a bit more fitting...

Which parts of Ireland will be underwater? Will the Irish be displaced and become a race of sailors/boat people forever chasing "the land" like the Smokers in Waterworld?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Which parts of Ireland will be underwater? Will the Irish be displaced and become a race of sailors/boat people forever chasing "the land" like the Smokers in Waterworld?

Cork! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The bad weather is due to failing Christmas magic because people like me don't believe in santa. When you believe it's snow, miracles and joy. When you don't believe it's floods and misery for all. Muhahahahah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Warming up, and cooling down, warming up, we've been here before .......

All down to the natural cycle of the planet, with a little help from solar flares?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

ScumLord wrote: »
    The bad weather is due to failing Christmas magic because people like me don't believe in santa. When you believe it's snow, miracles and joy. When you don't believe it's floods and misery for all. Muhahahahah.

it will hardly effect you anyway ..... zombies gonna get you first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is no such thing as anthropogenic climate change.

It really is the natural cycle of the planet, but human history is such a narrow band within that, that we have never seen the entire cycle in action before - yet we know non-human induced extremes such as ice ages have been around lots before. The same goes for other planetary effects we have only seen a tiny aspect of, such as continental shift.

However, reducing carbon emissions is still a good idea, as the fuels that generate them are running out and certainly some cities suffer badly from pollution, so we do need to move to alternatives quite quickly. If that addresses the gripes of the climate lobby at the same time, so be it.

Advertisement