Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's no such thing as Santa Claus!!!

Options
  • 07-12-2015 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

The parents in my workplace were having a wee chat today about one of their 6 year olds classmates in school. One child's Mammy decided not to live the Christmas lie and told her kid there's no such thing as the ould fat red-suited annual visitor.

So word spread amongst the little ones, tears, howling outrage etc (amongs the parent's that is). Got child-free me thinking, wondering if...

Is it fair to lie to kids? Is lying ever ok? Is it fair to tell them the truth? Did that parent ruin the "magic" of Christmas for all? Should "Santa" be a tradition, but the children would be told the truth - it's really the parents buying the surprise gifts?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

She is a 100% right, To much pressure on parents these days when it comes to xmas, Just look at what is happening around the world with religion, Lies and imaginary friends at the heart of it, Kids are best to know the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Real life is hard enough for long enough.
    Let them enjoy a little fantasy while its going
    Still remember when I was told. Mam thought I was old enough to handle it.
    Ruined my 21st, I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Benteke wrote: »
    She is a 100% right, To much pressure on parents these days when it comes to xmas, Just look at what is happening around the world with religion, Lies and imaginary friends at the heart of it, Kids are best to know the truth

Yeah. That's comparable to a fat kindly man bringing gifts once a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

That parent is a right cnut. Let kids be kids and see the world as a magical place, before reality and adulthood kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

You need to up the ante. Tell your kids there's no god. See how the bitch likes that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

The look of joy on my 4 year old nephews face after he went to visit "Santa" over the weekend and got a toy tractor was priceless. Let kids be kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Mother who blabbed to her kid should have had more cop-on. Let kids be kids for as long as possible. Some of 'em will spend long enough being miserable in their adult lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

That parent is a right cnut. Let kids be kids and see the world as a magical place, before reality and adulthood kicks in.

This.

Also the thread title should be edited. 8 and 9 year olds use tablets a lot these days online and ya never know, this could pop up. Or that scenario aside they could be reading this over their parent's shoulder while at the PC.

Or that scenario aside, this is how I just found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Benteke wrote: »
    To much pressure on parents these days when it comes to xmas,

I think that comes down to the actual parents!!!! Some people just give their kids the toy book and keep saying yes. They give way too much and the magic isn't focused on.

My boys get what I got. A present and a stocking filler. We focus as much on the magic as possible. There is only pressure when you make it. Kids don't need a brand new tablet and a doll and a bike and all the rest. They are happy with a cardboard box and markers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'll never forget how devastated I was when my Manny told me my presents came from the coalman, not from Santa. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Should "Santa" be a tradition, but the children would be told the truth - it's really the parents buying the surprise gifts?

No offence OP, but you're a dirty rotten liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Her and gabriel byrne would get on like a house on fire. Two grim *****..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I wonder if she ruins the oul bedtime stories as well.

Does Goldilocks get mauled to death by grizzlies?

Do Snow White and the Prince end up going through an acrimonious divorce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'll never forget how devastated I was when my Manny told me my presents came from the coalman, not from Santa. :(

You ungrateful sod, you know how much a bag of coal is worth!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You've made an absolute mockery of the spelling of Santy so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

What a complete bitch. How dare she ruin all the children's Christmas time. She should be so ashamed of herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hiya, nope, I'd be honest from the beginning. Why intentionally tell fictitious stuff?! Enough fibs flying around out there as it is ;)
    Truth prevails!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is it fair to lie to kids? Is lying ever ok? Is it fair to tell them the truth? Did that parent ruin the "magic" of Christmas for all? Should "Santa" be a tradition, but the children would be told the truth - it's really the parents buying the surprise gifts?

Thoughts?

I think when it comes to children, it's no harm to indulge their imaginations. I think it's very harsh and frankly I'd consider it a bit silly for an adult to ruin the spirit of Christmas for a child. I wouldn't be Christmas' biggest fan, but I wouldn't go telling my child Santa isn't real or anything else, let him indulge his imagination for another while and he'll discover for himself eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I have a 6 year old and he started writing his letter in August, to date we got about 20 versions. On each letter, he makes the point (with some bad spelling) that Santa is the best and he loves him with all his heart and soul.

Was in Dunnes shopping a few weeks back, and the youngest had run off and I was calling him back, this man said to him I hope you are being a good boy and used his name, he had white hair and a beard. The wee fella nearly passed out and immediately told me the Santa was shopping with Mrs Claus in Dunnes. The fact he lives in the North pole was not an issue, Santa was just shopping in Dublin.

Nobody knows if God exists, and yet millions worship different ones, whats so wrong with a child believing in Santa or fairies or Easter Bunny. As a parent its one of the most wonderful times when you see the excitement on their face, memories I will carry to the grave.

cassid wrote: »
    Nobody knows if God exists, and yet millions worship different ones, whats so wrong with a child believing in Santa or fairies or Easter Bunny. As a parent its one of the most wonderful times when you see the excitement on their face, memories I will carry to the grave.

Can't agree with this any more. Kids need imagination. I love the the excitement on their faces. Kids need magic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

I think when it comes to children, it's no harm to indulge their imaginations. I think it's very harsh and frankly I'd consider it a bit silly for an adult to ruin the spirit of Christmas for a child. I wouldn't be Christmas' biggest fan, but I wouldn't go telling my child Santa isn't real or anything else, let him indulge his imagination for another while and he'll discover for himself eventually.

This was the general consensus amongst my colleagues. I don't know the person, their financial situation etc though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I'm amazed people believe this shïte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

stimpson wrote: »
    You need to up the ante. Tell your kids there's no god. See how the bitch likes that.

I'd say the santa thing would get a bigger reaction.

Santa the bastard stealing credit for the presents.

I'm amazed people believe this shïte

Believe what ****e? ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I deal with a lot of women in my job. Women like to talk about their kids. I have the same conversation 10 times a day, with different people. A few years ago, about this time of year I'm working with this lady and the subject of her kids come up. I say "are they excited for Santa?" To which she replies "I don't believe in lying to my children". Wtf, they were young enough to believe but she was an outrageous gowl anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Santa Claus is based on Saint Nicholas, who as the Bishop of Myra gave presents to the children, during the times of the crusades and wars between the Christians and Muslims, the body remains of St Nicholas were brought to Kilkenny and buried near Jerpoint in Thomastown. There is an old ruined church beside where he is buried, the ruined church was the church of St Nicholas, and a large slab with a carved figure of a man on it.

There were headlines in newspapers here and abroad - Santa Claus buried in Ireland.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/6808138/Father-Christmas-buried-in-Ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I deal with a lot of women in my job. Women like to talk about their kids. I have the same conversation 10 times a day, with different people. A few years ago, about this time of year I'm working with this lady and the subject of her kids come up. I say "are they excited for Santa?" To which she replies "I don't believe in lying to my children". Wtf, they were young enough to believe but she was an outrageous gowl anyway

Bet she didn't tell the whole truth about their conception......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I always swore I wouldn't tell my kids about Santa when I had some.

I now have some........I lied ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

There must be more than one..

Guy I was at school with swore he shot him down in 1992, 1997 and 1999 using the anti-aircraft gun on his gaff. (he did have one.. WW2 leftover)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You should have picked out a few of her flaws and given her a dose of her own medicine, given her love of brutal honesty.

Advertisement