Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's no such thing as Santa Claus!!!

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Make of this what you will, but my "magic of Christmas" looking back (as you do) and recreating some of what you felt as a child is centered around my Grandad RUINING the illusion of Santa for me :D

I was about 7, maybe younger, when I copped that Grandad was always missing from the room at the point when this bloke dressed in red crepe paper and a cotton wool beard came down the stairs waving my Grandparents brass bell off the mantelpiece, roaring "Ho Ho Hooo". I remember asking my parents in the car on the way home if Grandad was Santa in our family, was Santa real? Got an unsatisfactory answer (due to small bro being in the car) and spent at least the next 12 years squirming with equal measures of embarrassment and duty as we continued play the game for all the younger cousins, and then just for Grandad as the cousins went waaay beyond the age that they stopped believing.

Looking back, that memory is utterly magical to me now. Great job Grandad - it's about the only thing I really love about Christmas! That, and giving pressies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Swanner wrote: »
    That wasn't the analogy. So you completely ignored the question. OK.

I completely refused to be derailed into an off topic discussion about cars. And as I said, given you ignored my ENTIRE last post to you, you are in no position to accuse (let alone falsely) others of avoiding anything. If you want to go back and reply to what I actually said, and continue rather than dodge the conversation, then I am here any time you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She sounds like a female version of Scrooge

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Santa Claus is a special illusion for young children. I think it's incredibly cruel and mean-spirited to tell children that Santa doesn't exist.:(

Kids start doubting the existence of Santa around 9/10 years of age anyway.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think it's incredibly cruel and mean-spirited to tell children that Santa doesn't exist.:( Kids start doubting the existence of Santa around 9/10 years of age anyway.

Not something one needs to do having not told them he exists in the first place :) As for 9-10 years of age I am not so sure. Seems they start with this stuff anything from 5 on wards these days. They just play along. Which is funny to think about, two groups of people, adults and kids, basically playing each other and each thinking the other one is going for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Not something one needs to do having not told them he exists in the first place :) As for 9-10 years of age I am not so sure. Seems they start with this stuff anything from 5 on wards these days. They just play along. Which is funny to think about, two groups of people, adults and kids, basically playing each other and each thinking the other one is going for it :)

I think most parents know if their child is playing along or not and I would think that 5 is actually the age when they really believe in the magic of Santa and not when they start questioning it

Really depends on the kid I guess. I have heard it being questioned at that age. I would not doubt other people have similar anecdotes. It is not the norm, clearly, but do not be surprised to find it either.

No child is doing any meaningful questioning at 5, and certainly not if their parents are doing it properly and reinforcing that Santa is real.

I didn't even question it in the smallest way until I was 9 or 10 and initially I was told he is real and stop being silly. Sometime later and only after finding presents at aged 10 and days and days of asking my parents did he exist did they finally make the decision to tell me he wasn't real. Even with finding the presents I was still finding ways to believe until I was told straight.

In my opinion people can say what they like but there is no way a child who hasn't done santa has had christmasses as good as thouse who have. The posters can keep telling themselves that their child has just as much fun to justify their bizarre decision to deny their child the magic of santa but it does not mean the child has as much fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

The parents in my workplace were having a wee chat today about one of their 6 year olds classmates in school. One child's Mammy decided not to live the Christmas lie and told her kid there's no such thing as the ould fat red-suited annual visitor.

So word spread amongst the little ones, tears, howling outrage etc (amongs the parent's that is). Got child-free me thinking, wondering if...

Is it fair to lie to kids? Is lying ever ok? Is it fair to tell them the truth? Did that parent ruin the "magic" of Christmas for all? Should "Santa" be a tradition, but the children would be told the truth - it's really the parents buying the surprise gifts?

Thoughts?

Yes you have to keep the Santa lie up otherise how will the kids believe you when you reveal the rest of the tangled web we weave;

• Easter Bunny
    • God
    • Leprechauns
    • The Tooth Fairy
    • The Boogeyman
    • The Blessed Trinity
    • Jedi Knights
    • Immaculate Conception
    • Fairy Godmother

No child is doing any meaningful questioning at 5, and certainly not if their parents are doing it properly and reinforcing that Santa is real.

No child? Interviewed them all have you? Where DO you find the time. Actually as I said I have met such children, so your "no child" assertion rings hollow to me.
    I didn't even question it in the smallest way until I was 9 or 10

Ah well if YOU did not then clearly no one else did either. Nice extrapolation there :)
    In my opinion people can say what they like but there is no way a child who hasn't done santa has had christmasses as good as thouse who have.

More lovely assertions there, but I am not seeing it backed up by... well... anything.
    The posters can keep telling themselves that their child has just as much fun to justify their bizarre decision to deny their child the magic of santa but it does not mean the child has as much fun.

You can keep telling yourself that a child does NOT have just as much fun, but that does not mean they do not.

• Advertisement

You can keep telling yourself that a child does NOT have just as much fun, but that does not mean they do not.

But its not possible for them to have as much fun with such a significant omission from their Christmas. Santa is on top of everything else at Christmas (and a big additional part at that) so how could someone missing out on it possibly have as much fun?

Kids with santa get the same Christmas as those without but then have santa on top of it all.

But its not possible for them to have as much fun with such a significant omission from their Christmas.

No reason, other than your simple assertion, as to why not. "Fun" is a generic term, it can be attained in any number of ways. Just because someone chooses to take a different path to you to get there, does not mean they get there any less than you do.

Your wanton assertions sound to me like going around telling color blind people that they can never appreciate life as much as the rest of us, or people who do not do oral sex that they can never enjoy sex as much as other people do.

It is simply a nonsense, people can derive just as much enjoyment and fun from anything as you do, and are not precluded that simply because they do it in a different way to you. You are taking your own subjective standards and projecting them as if they are some objective reality everyone lives under.
    Kids with santa get the same Christmas as those without but then have santa on top of it all.

Yeah right, because there is absolutely no variance within either of those groups either.

Advertisement