Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

head scoops - feedback on yours

• 07-05-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

With the lovely money rolling out for the Safety scheme, would appreciate feedback on the headscoop you use - theres a lot of them-O Donovans, O Neills, Teemore, Condon, Connachagri, Nugent, O Donnells...how is yours for ease of fitting, strength, does it fold away when out of use, ease of use.? Prices from $360 + vat I hate buying something sh*t then having to put up with it for years. Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I have one from Barrett Engineering in Galway.

Pros:

1) Brilliant device for dosing store cattle or suckler cows. Some of my cows would be impossible to dose or bolus without one of these.

2) The Barrett one is cheap, around 450 all in which is good for head scoops.

3) Simple enough design and can be removed very easily, just 2 pins, but at the same time is secure when using.

Cons:

1) The scoop part is a wide V shape rather than the U shaped ones. Can allow a bit too much movement

2) No quick release latch, so if a cow goes down you'll have to belt the lever to release.

Final verdict: Good value for money but could do with slight improvements. All said, I'd buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

another vote for barrett scoop, dont think I paid anything like 450 for it , cant rightly remember, very handy to ring bull or manage a awkward cow for dosing or soar eye, not something that gets a huge amount of use but still handy tool to have, can be attached onto side bars of crush without welding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭50HX

the Barrett one looks good enough..the only thing i don't like about it is the scoop is very wide

would ye think this one is a better job???

http://www.connachtagri.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=200&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

50HX wrote: »
    the Barrett one looks good enough..the only thing i don't like about it is the scoop is very wide

would ye think this one is a better job???

http://www.connachtagri.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=200&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

any experience of Condon engineering type..360 +vat?..and the Teemore one looks good, 440 +vat tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

oldsmokey wrote: »
    any experience of Condon engineering type..360 +vat?..and the Teemore one looks good, 440 +vat tho...

Anyone using a condon made scoop? Any feed back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Well lads I'm on the verge of buying a iae headscoop as was recommended on here or a similar thread
    After a quote of 740euro Inc vat fair steep I think or wat do ye think got a fair shock

It's from o Donovan eng in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

lab man wrote: »
    Well lads I'm on the verge of buying a iae headscoop as was recommended on here or a similar thread
    After a quote of 740euro Inc vat fair steep I think or wat do ye think got a fair shock

That's sounds a bit steep. I bought two of gibney head scoops. 300 each, way easier to use compared to lever type. Geared reel/clutch system

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Put this in lately. Best thing we ever got, it makes light work of bolus or tagging ect. Gibiny €415+ very easy to move as there is only 4 bolts. The ratchet is easy to use and tidy. Sum of the other makes have more brackets than scoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Not have one myself but that O Donavan scoop is used by Kildalton Agri College. Been at Kildalton a bit for Green Cert and used scoop and all can say is I found it easy to use and asked the lad who runs the herd and who really knows his stuff alround what he thought of it, thinking getting a scoop myself, and he recommended. all I can say on top is seemed very good build quality type stuff last decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Local vet hates them. Hard to get the vein and useless skulling cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

l was wondering that. l use a halter when sculling or tagging. A quick release knot and pull if they are getting in trouble. The head scoop seems to totally go against the reason modern crush gates were designed with vertical bars.

l haven't used a white drench in years but if cattle were packed in tight with heads overhead l found them easy to them down along the crush, easier again now l hear with the dosing hook.

You are bet working at the front because you haven't the height - no step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭angusangus

Got a head scoop last year and would never be without one now! Even if not working with the head it still restrains the welder suckler cows
    anyone that has one does not regret buying it so that in its self says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Dosed alot of cows and cattle today ,my two arms and back are sore tonight.
    Next job to do is put in a morris head gate and a head scoop.
    In another tread about diet feeders someone made a comment every cripple has his own way to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Local vet hates them. Hard to get the vein and useless skulling cattle.

Sounds like an open minded guy, He could just not use if it's such a pain in the ass!

caseman wrote: »
    Dosed alot of cows and cattle today ,my two arms and back are sore tonight.
    Next job to do is put in a morris head gate and a head scoop.
    In another tread about diet feeders someone made a comment every cripple has his own way to walk.

When dosing cows I still do most of them along the crush, only use the headscoop to catch the real awkward ones, and it's priceless for putting manners on them. V handy for injecting in the neck as well, stop them moving back and ahead in the headgate

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Only yoke for ibr up nose

When dosing cows I still do most of them along the crush, only use the headscoop to catch the real awkward ones, and it's priceless for putting manners on them. V handy for injecting in the neck as well, stop them moving back and ahead in the headgate

+1
    I rarely inject into the neck anymore. Local vet always injects into the muscle beside the tail bone far easier on man and beast. He said it was the same thing for an injection that requires into the muscle. Saves allot of fcuks ect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I wouldn't recommend injecting in the 'plate' for animals going to the factory shortly or for calves without enough muscle mass there to shield the sciatic nerve.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

If the scoop was 500 I'd have said fine but at 740 having second thoughts ... in the gibney type is there much to putting it on to the head gate. ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭angusangus

If the scoop was 500 I'd have said fine but at 740 having second thoughts ... in the gibney type is there much to putting it on to the head gate. ..

I got mine for 450 and is the u type scoop ! Simple lever type ! I was looking at the ratchet and steel rope type and taught it would be fine first year but after that rope could rust and ratchet stiff ! I don't have an indoor crush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Muckit wrote: »
    l was wondering that. l use a halter when sculling or tagging. A quick release knot and pull if they are getting in trouble. The head scoop seems to totally go against the reason modern crush gates were designed with vertical bars.

l haven't used a white drench in years but if cattle were packed in tight with heads overhead l found them easy to them down along the crush, easier again now l hear with the dosing hook.

You are bet working at the front because you haven't the height - no step.
    No room for saw and the beast can move head a small bit. Hard to pull veins as well. Vet got us to remove the scoop and worked away with head gate, halter made from sea rope, nose tongs and lad on tail. He was like a rocket going through them. Easier on man and beast.

+1
    I rarely inject into the neck anymore. Local vet always injects into the muscle beside the tail bone far easier on man and beast. He said it was the same thing for an injection that requires into the muscle. Saves allot of fcuks ect.

Rarely inject an animal in the muscle near the tail head, seems to be a v sensitive area, it's not uncommon to see the whole muscle there getting swollen especially after getting a shot of tylon.
    A lazy man's injection site imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

+1

Vet here says neck is better cos if infection sets in at the site it can drain down away into the neck. She says she has seen whole hind quarters rot off with infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

In fairness you can appreciate how the scoop would get in the way when skulling or looking for a neck vein. For both these, you have to pull the head to one side. Maybe the next generation of scoops will do this.
    I'm a big fan of the head halter. You have full control too and you can tie the head in any direction. I wouldn't like to be doing 100 cows with it though. Very slow.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Better stop injecting them at the tail so. To be fair the day of skulling should be long gone. Once you have a scoop you'll never be with out just ask anyone that has one.

In fairness you can appreciate how the scoop would get in the way when skulling or looking for a neck vein. For both these, you have to pull the head to one side. Maybe the next generation of scoops will do this.
    I'm a big fan of the head halter. You have full control too and you can tie the head in any direction. I wouldn't like to be doing 100 cows with it though. Very slow.

No easier way of getting on a head halter than in a scoop though!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

greysides wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend injecting in the 'plate' for animals going to the factory shortly or for calves without enough muscle mass there to shield the sciatic nerve.

What is the "plate" on back, how far up? Where is the recommended/better area? On cert showed us both. With neck told try and inject on opposite side to where you TB test to avoid lumps etc. No mention at all of sciatic nerve but when you say it makes sense. Sorry taking off topic but good to know. Thanks.

Sculling on course by way seen as massive no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

All im wondering is can they be got for the side of a high chair? His snouth is too small for a halter to be effective! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Best piece of equipment I have bought.i bought it about 4yrs ago at the ploughing from some guy from Ballinasloe.delivered to mid Tipp for about €370

Advertisement