Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Tipple

• 03-12-2015 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭

What do you like to indulge in over the Christmas period, be it alcoholic or not?

I'll probably have some nice red wine put aside, perhaps some Casillero Del Diablo. I have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire that is calling me.

Anyone that mentions eggnog will receive an immediate ban, I've been told :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

For me it used to be definitely mulled wine,
    This year I discovered hot apple juice and ginger. I am totally addicted to it already ! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Over Christmas in our house, it's lashings of Prosecco. Mixed with orange juice for early-in-the-day cocktails, or with a dash of cherry syrup at night for a ruby-coloured sparkler. We also love our mulled wine, spiced cider and craft beers.

I...I think we're alcoholics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I like to buy a nice bottle of whiskey that I haven't previously purchased. Open in Christmas day, my dad and a few friends call throughout the day and we have a few. Last year I bought green spot. This year it's 12 year old Redbreast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Baileys! Such a sweet treat!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I love to put Baileys in my hot chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Prosecco with a dash of pomegranate juice. Gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Mount Gay Rum
    Ginger Beer (not ale)
    With ice and lime wedge

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Hot Ports and Irish Coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Many...many...bottles of Miller. A Christmas tradition at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Over Christmas in our house, it's lashings of Prosecco. Mixed with orange juice for early-in-the-day cocktails, or with a dash of cherry syrup at night for a ruby-coloured sparkler.

Genius. Definitely going to try cherry in my prosecco this year.

I love a nice bubbly. Snipes of Freixenet cava are perfect for when my husband would rather a beer. I couldn't handle a regular sized bottle alone!!

I saw a recipe recently for a cocktail that has prosecco, Grand Marnier and cranberry juice in it. Sounds delish.

What I love most about drinking at Christmas is that it's perfectly acceptable to have a mimosa on a weekday morning. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

For Christmas Day it will be Moët. Then prosecco or Chablis. I also love ice cold Miller light and the oh loves Canadian. Aldi have a lovely Chablis for €11.99 at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Oh Baileys and hot ports. Forgot about those!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Mulled wine, Baileys, Casillerio Del Diablo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I usually don't drink at home, but when I do it's usually Bulmers. For Christmas last year (and this year), I got some Stonewell cider :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Brandy, particularly if I can get the old man to break out the XO.

Also whisky, any good lowland scotch.... But especially auchentoshan 3 wood.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Irish coffees on Christmas morning/afternoon and then maybe a Baileys or a Kahlua and milk in the evening. Or a vodka :D Depends on the mood really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Winter Pimms. Omg.

Also I am a big whiskey fan and have a lot of it in my collection. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Love mulled wine!
    Have found a lovely new cider though, that comes in large bottle, like wine. It tastes like a good Prosecco so that will be my tipple for toasting this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

That sounds lovely - what's it called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My brilliant mother in law gets me a big box of mixed ales for Christmas every year, so that's what I drink. Might have a few G&Ts over the festivities too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Cork Lass wrote: »
    That sounds lovely - what's it called?

It's called Craigies Dalliance. They do it in small bottles, but the big one is more prosecco-y looking if you are pouring it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

Putting up the tree last week I made mulled wine from scratch, the Jamie Oliver recipe. We have been doing that for a few years so it's now a tradition.

On Christmas eve it will be pint bottles of cider and then when I get home a Ron Zacappa XO rum or two before bed.

There are bubbles in our house on Christmas morning but I just can't stomach it that early so I will hold off till lunch time for a few more ciders.

Add to that lots and lots of sugary Barry's tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭.red.

Mount Gay Rum
    Ginger Beer (not ale)
    With ice and lime wedge

That is by far the nicest rum ive ever tasted. First got it on a tourist boat trip in Barbados and they were giving very large measures, the trip back was a bit of a haze. I treat myself every now and then to a bottle so might do over christmas.

For the baileys drinkers who would like something a little different try Coole Swan. Its Belgian white choc and Irish whiskey and made in Co. Cavan. Its really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Prosecco for Christmas morning. And baileys (with a dash of Cointreau) for the rest of Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'll probably have a vodka & OJ with my breakfast. Then some nice wine with dinner!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whiskey and lots of it.

Have bought about five bottles specifically (to add to the base collection of ten or so bottles) so far and have a shopping list of a few more. Mix of good Irish and good Scotch as well as always having a decent Bourbon or two tucked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I enjoy a jar throughout the year and never really bothered with anything special at christmas. However this year I'm treating myself to a little drop of Hennessey with my cheese board. Now I know some people think a cheese board is up your ass ****e, but I like cheese and its a long time since I enjoyed a brandy n board!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Baileys Chocolate Luxe. Beautiful it is.

255tjjc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Baileys Chocolate Luxe. Beautiful it is.

255tjjc.jpg

Mad rich stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement