Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips Hue Bridge [BRIDGE ONLY] €39.95

Options
  • 26-11-2015 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Philips Hue Bridge

They have a discount of €20, normal price €59.95.

With this you can connect any Philips hue light.

The discount is supposed to be for users with the old bridge.

I wasn't asked to conform the serial on my existing bridge.

First email I got said shipping would take 3 weeks. Got another email that re-estimated it to 1 week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Thanks, was just looking for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Thanks too, was just looking for the upgraded hub..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have a living colour iris with remote control. Would this work with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

adox wrote: »
    I have a living colour iris with remote control. Would this work with it?

99% sure it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Great! When I checked the philips site, it was never in stock!

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote: »
    99% sure it does.

Thanks, ordered this morning but still not 100% sure it will work with the Living Colour Iris I have. Very hard to find a definitive answer on it.

Have mine around a year or so from Amazon and I know it has been re-issued since with Bridge compatible branding, which mine doesnt have, so will wait and see.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭randombar

Right another thing I don't need, can you let me know what cool things can be done with this??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Right another thing I don't need, can you let me know what cool things can be done with this??

Summary: If you have to ask, you don't need this particular item.

If you have an existing Philips Hue lighting system, with an existing bridge, then this replaces the bridge, to give you integration with Siri on an iPhone. That means on you iPhone you can do things like say "Siri Turn lights on" and your Philip Hue lights turn on. Or you might say "Siri change light colour to red" and the colour changes to red, etc.

But this only works with Philips Hue lights.

If you don't already have Hue lights and you are interested in this, then you would be better off buying a bundle which would include some lights + the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭randombar

bk wrote: »
    Summary: If you have to ask, you don't need this particular item.

If you have an existing Philips Hue lighting system, with an existing bridge, then this replaces the bridge, to give you integration with Siri on an iPhone. That means on you iPhone you can do things like say "Siri Turn lights on" and your Philip Hue lights turn on. Or you might say "Siri change light colour to red" and the colour changes to red, etc.

But this only works with Philips Hue lights.

If you don't already have Hue lights and you are interested in this, then you would be better off buying a bundle which would include some lights + the bridge.

Thanks for getting back, like everything here on boards bargains I didn't know I needed it until I saw it on here :D

In relation to the lights themselves, I'm guessing you leave the light switch permanently on and your phone plus lightbulb controls the switching?

It wouldn't work in a kitchen with GU10s or in a 5 bulb lamp or something like that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for getting back, like everything here on boards bargains I didn't know I needed it until I saw it on here :D

In relation to the lights themselves, I'm guessing you leave the light switch permanently on and your phone plus lightbulb controls the switching?

It wouldn't work in a kitchen with GU10s or in a 5 bulb lamp or something like that?

The Philips Hue is an entire ecosystem of different lights, all of which can be controlled by a bridge.

They do in fact have GU10 lights and they will work perfectly fine in a GU10 fitting (they should do, I haven't actually bought one of these yet myself). They also have a variety of other standard bulb fittings that should fit various lamps.

I believe they come in two types. Ones that are white only (can be dimmed and turned on and off remotely) and ones that do both white and 16 million colours (a bit more expensive).

My understanding on how these work is that you can use the normal light switch. When you switch on the light switch they default to a soft white colour.

You can then use your iPhone to change the colour of the bulb, etc. (awesome you buy the coloured ones).

Turning them off by the light switch to turn off like normal bulbs, but obviously you can't turn them back on by the iphone then, so yes, you would normally leave the switch on if you want to control them fully by your iphone.

If you really get into these, you can get rid of the light switch and replace it with a hue switch which works like a light switch turning them on and off as normal, but adds the advantage of mobility of the light switch (can be removed from the wall and walk around with it) and even when off, you can still turn back on with the iphone.

Personally, I only have 3 Philips Hue Blooms, which are bedside type lamps. I just bought one bulb from Amazon lighting deal to try out how the bulbs work in real life. I'll let you know how it goes. I can for see me replacing most of my lights with these in the long term!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

The description of this is throwing me off: Philips HUE HomeKit Upgrade Bridge (for Current HUE Bridge Users)
    I'm pretty sure that I don't need the old bridge but I would just like this confirmed before buying this.
    Full story:
    I bought my first piece of the Hue ecosystem (Bloom) on a recent lightning deal with Amazon. It did not include the bridge. I just want confirmation that this will act as my bridge.
    Cheers,
    Mick

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Personally, I only have 3 Philips Hue Blooms, which are bedside type lamps. I just bought one bulb from Amazon lighting deal to try out how the bulbs work in real life. I'll let you know how it goes. I can for see me replacing most of my lights with these in the long term!

How much did the bulbs go for in the lighting sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Remotely control your lights.

But I think it's a "bridge too far".

elmicko wrote: »
    The description of this is throwing me off: Philips HUE HomeKit Upgrade Bridge (for Current HUE Bridge Users)
    I'm pretty sure that I don't need the old bridge but I would just like this confirmed before buying this.
    Full story:
    I bought my first piece of the Hue ecosystem (Bloom) on a recent lightning deal with Amazon. It did not include the bridge. I just want confirmation that this will act as my bridge.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Well the bloom you bought won't work without a bridge. So yes in your case you will need to buy this in order to get your bloom working.

Your case is unusual, they are just assuming that most people when they buy their first Philips Hue light, buy it as part of a bundle with a bridge and that these people with old bridges will want to buy this to upgrade to siri support.

I got this one to try them out, for £35:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Personal-Wireless-Lighting-Single/dp/B00ID6US0K/ref=sr_1_10?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1449055103&sr=1-10&keywords=hue+gu10

They certainly aren't cheap, but they are fun.

Cheers bk.
    Yep, my case is unusual; most people will get the starter kits, however, most starter kits that are reasonably priced have the old bridge.

I went looking at the kits and noted the following standalone bulbs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-White-Personal-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B0152WXDDQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1449066085&sr=1-3&keywords=hue+bayonet

Am, I missing something in terms of price? £14.99 seems cheap. Yes, they're out of stock, but nobody needs these right away.

Grand Total: £31.75

I went looking at the kits and noted the following standalone bulbs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-White-Personal-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B0152WXDDQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1449066085&sr=1-3&keywords=hue+bayonet

Am, I missing something in terms of price? £14.99 seems cheap. Yes, they're out of stock, but nobody needs these right away.

They are white only, no other colours like the more expensive ones.

So basically you can only remotely turn them on/off and dim them.

Still decent price if that is all you need, thinking of getting some myself for the other rooms where I don't need colour. The one thing that has me holding off is that they are only 750 lumen, which is roughly equivalent to a 60w bulb. I currently use 1050 lumen LEDs in the bedrooms, which are about equivalent to 75w and I think I need that brightness, so I might hold off until Philips brings out one of those.

BTW these bulbs are even cheaper, just €20 on the apple store:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/HJAQ2ZM/A/philips-hue-white-starter-kit-a60-e27?fnode=7e

Mine arrived today. Still in the box but gonna hook it up tonight and see if it works with my Iris. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

ios only?

Mine arrived today. Still in the box but gonna hook it up tonight and see if it works with my Iris. :)

Working fine. Only issue I have is now I have the app working the remote won't work. Paired the remote again with the light and the app stopped working!

• Advertisement

ios only?

It works with Android too via an app. Obviously voice commands won't work via Siri as Siri is iPnone only.

If you have the old bridge and use Android only, then it probably isn't worth upgrading for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

Full story:
    Cheers,
    Mick

Yeah you don't need an old bridge. The new bridge has replaced my old bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

BTW these bulbs are even cheaper, just €20 on the apple store:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/HJAQ2ZM/A/philips-hue-white-starter-kit-a60-e27?fnode=7e

Great find, haven't seen them that cheap before...

For those who get this, here are the instructions on how to easily migrate from your old bridge to the new bridge (copy your light and remotes to the new bridge):

http://www.howtogeek.com/231454/how-to-migrate-your-smart-bulbs-to-the-new-philips-hue-bridge/

here is another article on what you can do with Siri voice control:

http://www.howtogeek.com/231046/how-to-use-siri-to-control-the-lights-in-your-house/

unklerosco wrote: »
    Great find, haven't seen them that cheap before...

Currently unavailable and not they are white only bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

Just ordered this as well cheers for the heads up. I purchased the Philips iris in the lightning sale so looking forward to be able to automate it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Do these work so that when you walk into a room the lights come on?

Do these work so that when you walk into a room the lights come on?

Not out of the box, but I'm sure you can do so with extra hardware (a sensor) and some software, but that might be more for people who are comfortable with tinkering with gadgets.

Working fine. Only issue I have is now I have the app working the remote won't work. Paired the remote again with the light and the app stopped working!

Got mine sorted last night so can use the remote again, along with the app so delighted.

Noticed that amazon.de have the living colours iris for around €65 delivered, which is a great price. Tempted to get another one.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009567QOI?keywords=philips%20hue&qid=1449483946&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Actually they have the darker coloured one on their deal of the day at a fiver cheaper. Just ordered one.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009567QOS?ref_=gb1h_img_c-3_8007_98652698&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Got mine sorted last night so can use the remote again, along with the app so delighted.

Noticed that amazon.de have the living colours iris for around €65 delivered, which is a great price. Tempted to get another one.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009567QOI?keywords=philips%20hue&qid=1449483946&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Actually they have the darker coloured one on their deal of the day at a fiver cheaper. Just ordered one.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009567QOS?ref_=gb1h_img_c-3_8007_98652698&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

I thought these were older models with just their own remote -will they work with the hue bridge too?

Advertisement