Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillips Hue Bridge [BRIDGE ONLY] €39.95

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

ablelocks wrote: »
    I thought these were older models with just their own remote -will they work with the hue bridge too?

Yeah they are but will work with the bridge as well. Ive had one about a year and just bought the bridge last week, unsure whether it would work with what I have but it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

So i have four livingColor lights...three spot lights and one lamp. I got the bridge, and Its plugged into the router. (Is it not meant to be wireless? You don't seem to be able to take it out of the router). Anyway the bridge connected to my network. Then I tried the Light Scan, but it doesn't work. So I tried manually entering the serial codes (some had the 6 digits serial codes, some did not) , but apparently those that did are 'too far away from the bridge'...(they are all in the same room). So instead I tried to use their remotes to synchronise them.

I have one remote which is synced to my four lights which is great. I tried to synch that to the bridge but it didn't work. I found two old remotes for the small spots, and I synchronised those to the bridge and they connected. But that basically un-synchronised them from my master remote...
    So then I could switch two off with the App, but the other two had to be unplugged last night (it was late, and I was tired)

Anyway, I'll play with it again later. Im probably doing something wrong but its a bit of a mess!! and all because I wanted a bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

Can the bridge not connect wirelessly to the router? Mine is due to be delivered tomorrow

jones wrote: »
    Can the bridge not connect wirelessly to the router? Mine is due to be delivered tomorrow

I assumed it does, and that perhaps you just connect it to the router during setup, but whenever i tried to disconnect it, the app says it can no longer find my Bridge on my network?

my router is located at my door, so I had to use one of those LAN plugs , so I could use the Bridge in my living room!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, the bridge needs to be connected directly to your router by ethernet all the time.

The bridge does support Zigbee wireless to communicate with the lights and remotes, but it doesn't support wifi to talk to your router.

You could however use power over ethernet adaptors or even a wifi access point to move the bridge to a different room from your router. But I can't see why anyone would bother doing that. After the initial setup (or adding new lights), you pretty much never touch the bridge again, just leave it sitting next to your router.
    marcus2000 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'll play with it again later. Im probably doing something wrong but its a bit of a mess!! and all because I wanted a bargain :)

It sounds like everything has gotten mixed up and are communicating with the wrong devices. I suspect some of your remotes are communicating directly with some of the lights, rather then the bridge. I'd recommend resetting the bridge and connecting each light and remote with the bridge again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

I thought this bridge only worked with the hue range. Not the living colour range?

Akula wrote: »
    I thought this bridge only worked with the hue range. Not the living colour range?

After synching and fiddling , I can now confirm that the bridge works perfectly with the LivingColor range, and I now I have it all synched up....Tonight, ill be testing the 'turning on lights as I get home' function. Though it did think I was in Utrecht when I was setting it up so im not entirely confident it will work. (Though that's possibly because I'm using a Windows Phone App). Anyway, Great bargain - money well spent!!(In that it works)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Akula wrote: »

I've the bridge working with various living colour lamps.

Taking delivery today so i'm dying to set it up and see how it works. The iris is a great little product so the ability to automate it more will be great in my cinema room. I'll report back

4 for the price of 3 on Philips Living Colour Iris on amazon.co.uk with promo code: HNG4for3

Works out at £116.00St for 4 with discount for anyone interested.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    They are white only, no other colours like the more expensive ones.

So basically you can only remotely turn them on/off and dim them.

Still decent price if that is all you need, thinking of getting some myself for the other rooms where I don't need colour. The one thing that has me holding off is that they are only 750 lumen, which is roughly equivalent to a 60w bulb. I currently use 1050 lumen LEDs in the bedrooms, which are about equivalent to 75w and I think I need that brightness, so I might hold off until Philips brings out one of those.

BTW these bulbs are even cheaper, just €20 on the apple store:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/HJAQ2ZM/A/philips-hue-white-starter-kit-a60-e27?fnode=7e

These are now back in stock with Apple for anyone interested. Sort of tempted but fear I will regret getting a white only bulb or two.

my partner had a great laugh turning the lights on and off at his Christmas party last night, while I sat at home..... I thought it was broken.........it was 'HILARIOUS?'.... :) He only rang me a few minutes ago asking if it had worked cos he forgot to ask!!! Well worth the 30quid!!!

(it'll be half as hilarious when i do it tomorrow night!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭elmicko

adox wrote: »
    4 for the price of 3 on Philips Living Colour Iris on amazon.co.uk with promo code: HNG4for3

Works out at £116.00St for 4 with discount for anyone interested.
    A few questions if I could:
    Was it this one that you got: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008B4DCB6
    If so, that was a bargain! I can't find them for anywhere near the cost you mentioned (even on CamelCamelCamel).
    Just to confirm, can this be controlled by the Hue app (assuming you have the bridge? (I got the bridge, thanks again OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

elmicko wrote: »
    If so, that was a bargain! I can't find them for anywhere near the cost you mentioned (even on CamelCamelCamel).
    Just to confirm, can this be controlled by the Hue app (assuming you have the bridge? (I got the bridge, thanks again OP)

Yeah, I was looking for same, there would be an order from here immediately at that price.

elmicko wrote: »

Yeah that's the one and they can be controlled by the Hue App, although I am finding it a bit flakey, especially when away from the house. I have used the app to turn the light on before I get home and although the app shows as being connected and turning the lights on, they have in fact been off when I get in.

I saw that offer on HUKD. I also have another Iris due from Amazon.de early next week which was on offer for €50 plus a tenner delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

They're still cheap on Amazon.de http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009567QOI. €55 for white and €60 for black.

I caught the bug after buying 2 a few weeks ago and now I have 2 more on the way and bought 4 Hue bulbs too.
    I'm keeping an eye out for the GU10 bulbs being reduced as I need to buy 8 of them.

PPC wrote: »
    They're still cheap on Amazon.de http://www.amazon.de/dp/B009567QOI. €55 for white and €60 for black.

I caught the bug after buying 2 a few weeks ago and now I have 2 more on the way and bought 4 Hue bulbs too.
    I'm keeping an eye out for the GU10 bulbs being reduced as I need to buy 8 of them.

You getting any issues with the Iris and the app? I'm finding it a bit hit and miss, especially when trying to control from outside the home.

Folks,

I have the iris working perfectly with the bridge but one question since I connected the remote no longer works so I can only use the app which isn't wag friendly. Is there anyway to allow the remote to work also? Seems odd the bridge basically surplants the remote I thought it would work side by side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

adox wrote: »
    You getting any issues with the Iris and the app? I'm finding it a bit hit and miss, especially when trying to control from outside the home.

Nope! Its worked fine for me on all my lights.
    Folks,

I have the iris working perfectly with the bridge but one question since I connected the remote no longer works so I can only use the app which isn't wag friendly. Is there anyway to allow the remote to work also? Seems odd the bridge basically surplants the remote I thought it would work side by side

This is a pain to setup properly, you're probably going to lose your settings doing it.
    Reset your remote too for the best result.
    I had to do something like:
    1. Press the button on the bridge, so it enters pushlink mode
    2. Hold the on and scene1 button on the remote and while close to the bridge until the bridge restarts (As far as I know this puts the hub onto the same channel as the remote)
    3. Press the button on the bridge, so it enters pushlink mode
    4. Hold the on button on the remote while close to the bridge until the linking is finished.
    5. Hold the on button on the remote while close to the light you want to control

One of my remotes works perfectly, but the other one seems to control every light in my apartment now

when i set mine up initially, the remote lost the connection to the lamps and the app worked.....

so basically, i reset each individual light, by synching the remote to them one by one. then i synched the remote to the bridge again, and it worked.

now remote and app work perfectly

• Advertisement

PPC wrote: »
    Nope! Its worked fine for me on all my lights.

This is a pain to setup properly, you're probably going to lose your settings doing it.
    Reset your remote too for the best result.
    I had to do something like:
    1. Press the button on the bridge, so it enters pushlink mode
    2. Hold the on and scene1 button on the remote and while close to the bridge until the bridge restarts (As far as I know this puts the hub onto the same channel as the remote)
    3. Press the button on the bridge, so it enters pushlink mode
    4. Hold the on button on the remote while close to the bridge until the linking is finished.
    5. Hold the on button on the remote while close to the light you want to control

One of my remotes works perfectly, but the other one seems to control every light in my apartment now

I did this and i thought it had worked as the remote was now active again but when i went in to check the app it no longer responded! i'll give a bit more time to it over the weekend i was rushing through it last night as i was heading out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi Guys, Quick question, Can anyone tell me is there any serious differences in these to bulbs before i order?

Philips Hue Ambiance White and Colour Extension Bulb A60 B22

and

Philips Hue Ambiance White and Colour Extension Bulb A60 E27

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Quick question, Can anyone tell me is there any serious differences in these to bulbs before i order?

and

The only difference is the connection type I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Bummer1234 wrote: »

and

The fitting is the only difference..

E27 is the threaded fitting
    B22 is the non threaded

GLS_lamps_B22_E27_Frosted.jpg

Thanks a million guys, Wish they would show this on the picture on the apple website as i couldn't see any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 saleem

Hi Guys Sorry for a stupid question I'm visually impaired and was wondering if these lights from apple are only lamp bulbs or they can fit into any Irish home rooms?

saleem wrote: »
    Hi Guys Sorry for a stupid question I'm visually impaired and was wondering if these lights from apple are only lamp bulbs or they can fit into any Irish home rooms?

AFAIK they are normal "fittings" but i could be wrong i have the iris which is a lamp in itself so maybe not the best person to answer your question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

saleem wrote: »

Depends which fittings you have. The bulbs can be bought in the "bayonet" style, which has the two little pins at the side. They also come in the traditional threaded Edison style.

We have bayonet fittings here, but got the threaded type on sale. We just bought adaptors for £1 on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 41 saleem

Thanks guys for the info.

• Advertisement

So i have my bridge up and going and 2 philips colored bulbs,

Anybody got any good recommendations for getting other branded colored bulbs(cheaper*)?

Also what other devices can or have you connected to the bridge?

*Also reading about the software rollback philips continuing there support 3rd party bulbs.

Advertisement