Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M21 - Limerick to Rathkeale/Foynes [advance works to commence shortly]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Motorway, definitely to what is (hopefully) an M21/M69 split. As to whether the N69 will be 'M', who knows.

Wow didn't know this would be HQDC grade to the N69 junction. I don't think it needs to be GSJ'd though. A roundabout will suffice.

This should improve the N21 through Limerick a good bit. Travel times from the City to the Kerry border are very poor for the amount of distance driven. Normally takes an hour with traffic at Adare and NCW being the main hindrance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Wow didn't know this would be HQDC grade to the N69 junction. I don't think it needs to be GSJ'd though. A roundabout will suffice.

This should improve the N21 through Limerick a good bit. Travel times from the City to the Kerry border are very poor for the amount of distance driven. Normally takes an hour with traffic at Adare and NCW being the main hindrance

No, no, no, no and no. If the money is there then build a proper junction. Roundabouts at the end of dual carriageways lead to tailbacks when traffic is heavy. This road is supposed to get rid of tailbacks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Irish_rat wrote: »

An upgrade of the N20, N21, N22 and N23 would completely change the dynamic of the southwest. The travel times on these 4 roads at present (less so the N23) are atrocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but, assuming the new road is a HQDC/Motorway from the end of the existing N21 dual carriageway to the split of the M(N)21 and N69 how will the "mythic" M20 to Cork join this road assuming it's ever finally built.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 quizzical

If it comes down to money and staying on budget, would they go with the Orange Route?? Is that the shortest??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

medoc wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been mentioned before but, assuming the new road is a HQDC/Motorway from the end of the existing N21 dual carriageway to the split of the M(N)21 and N69 how will the "mythic" M20 to Cork join this road assuming it's ever finally built.

Via an interchange just to the south west of the existing Attyflin junction (M20 J5) which would be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Will be interesting to see which route is used. The SFPC are in favour of the most direct route (red) and are backed by EU(who are funding the project), it will be up to the NRA to convince them to spend some more cash and add in the Adare bypass.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see which route is used. The SFPC are in favour of the most direct route (red) and are backed by EU(who are funding the project), it will be up to the NRA to convince them to spend some more cash and add in the Adare bypass.
    If all that comes of this scheme is a direct motorway beside the N69 to Foynes then I give up hope of any sort of decent road network in Ireland.

marno21 wrote: »
    If all that comes of this scheme is a direct motorway beside the N69 to Foynes then I give up hope of any sort of decent road network in Ireland.

It won't be a motorway if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The Government included the Adare by pass as part of it's Captial Programme annoucement a couple of months ago. They also announced the N69 upgrade as a separate project. You can look at that two ways, one that they will be independent projects, or that they are trying to be a bit clever as they have the inside track and know that the route to be chosen will incorporate the Adare bypass so in essence they kill two birds with one stone.

• Advertisement

Treepole wrote: »
    The Government included the Adare by pass as part of it's Captial Programme annoucement a couple of months ago. They also announced the N69 upgrade as a separate project. You can look at that two ways, one that they will be independent projects, or that they are trying to be a bit clever as they have the inside track and know that the route to be chosen will incorporate the Adare bypass so in essence they kill two birds with one stone.

Yea had noticed that all right. I'd find it hard to believe they would be two separate projects.

It won't be a motorway if that happens.
    Whilst I'm not sure if it applies here, the stipulation for the upgrade of the N28 Cork-Ringaskiddy road was that it was a controlled access road (not sure of the exact term used), the only road type of which in Ireland is motorway. If the same restriction applies here, the N69 element of this, beit from the Adare bypass or direct from the N18, would have to be motorway.

That capital investment plan was very sneaky. EU funded projects (N28/N69), PPP's that were announced as part of a roads package in 2009 (N25, N6, N11, N17/N18), minature secondary schemes (N56) or schemes that were started already (N56).

No major groundbreaking schemes (M20, N21, N24, N40 etc)

marno21 wrote: »
    Whilst I'm not sure if it applies here, the stipulation for the upgrade of the N28 Cork-Ringaskiddy road was that it was a controlled access road (not sure of the exact term used), the only road type of which in Ireland is motorway. If the same restriction applies here, the N69 element of this, beit from the Adare bypass or direct from the N18, would have to be motorway.

At a meeting I attended the view was that if the spur from Adare was chosen that it would be a "high quality single lane" road with very few access points between Adare and Foynes. I don't know anything about roads so I don't know if a single lane road would meet the EU requirements for Foynes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

At least part of the N28 is planned (we know) to be non-motorway. Just the end bit. So by that logic a fair whack of this scheme will be motorway, but I don't think an M69 will lead directly into the port, say.

Could it be the blue route then?

Following from a discussion in the Limerick forum.

The council captial budget announcement includes the following:

- €6.3m on N69 Foynes to Limerick road

But no mention of an Adare bypass. Could be another pointer towards the preferred route being the Red one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Following from a discussion in the Limerick forum.

The council captial budget announcement includes the following:

- €6.3m on N69 Foynes to Limerick road

But no mention of an Adare bypass. Could be another pointer towards the preferred route being the Red one.

Thats just to replace the wild Atlantic way signs and to paint the ferrybridge again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

dashoonage wrote: »
    Thats just to replace the wild Atlantic way signs and to paint the ferrybridge again.

Agreed - that just sounds like maintenance of the existing, soon to be downgraded N69.

• Advertisement

Any leaks on this?
    Would be very surprised if it made it as far as next Tuesday without news on the preferred route slipping out.

Any leaks on this?
    Would be very surprised if it made it as far as next Tuesday without news on the preferred route slipping out.

Nadda......Their security budget must be fantastic.

Not a dicky bird!...... I'm so surprised it has been kept so quite....

quizzical wrote: »
    Not a dicky bird!...... I'm so surprised it has been kept so quite....

I'm still expecting clowns and a parade....

I'd also like some sort of countdown on the website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Why are they replacing WAW signs?

D Trent wrote: »
    Why are they replacing WAW signs?

Wrong shade of brown used in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Wrong shade of brown used in them.

Wtf

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH were getting close now.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH were getting close now.......

And still no leaks!

rliston wrote: »
    And still no leaks!

someone....somewhere...knows....

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pajoguy

someone....somewhere...knows....

The printers even know!

• Advertisement

Yay! clowns!

See post #137

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

@foyneslimerick: Public Display of Preferred Route Corridor for Foynes to Limerick commences at 2pm on 1st Dec, see foyneslimerick.ie

From the website

Drawings and a brochure outlining the preferred route corridor will be available at the public display sessions, the Mid West National Road Design Office and on the project website at www.foyneslimerick.ie from 2pm on Tuesday 1st December 2015

so what your saying is drawings will be available form 2pm on Dec 1st ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Looks like the website is ready to go, there's a password protected page for December Public Display

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sam Russell - @dashoonage : Constructive replies only, please.

Route 3 . Orange bas been selected.

From the website.

There have been four amendments to Route Corridor Option 3 (Orange) since the public consultation in March 2015 as described and shown in the map below:

Moving the corridor by approximately 350m to the north in the townlands of Rincullia and Craggs to avoid a sensitive ecological habitat along the Ahacronane River.

Moving the corridor by approximately 250m to the east in the townlands of Boolaglass and Nantinan to further avoid a Cashel in Milltown North which is subject to a Preservation Order under the National Monuments Acts.

Moving the corridor by approximately 100m to the west in the townland of Kyletaun to further avoid St Joseph’s Cemetery.

Including a section of Route Corridor Option 1 (Red) to connect with the existing N69 to the west of Askeaton through the townlands of Ballyellinan, Ballycullen and Cloonreask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Very good route.
    Adare bypass, n21 as far as Rathkeale, utilises existing Rathkeale bypass, link road to Askeaton.

I can see a lot of HGV's not using it as they went such a round about way. Wont be too much time saved for them.

• Advertisement

M21 & M518? :)

I can see a lot of HGV's not using it as they went such a round about way. Wont be too much time saved for them.

It'll be a straight wide road that stays out of towns and villages and connects directly to the M20, M7, N18 and N21, unlike the current N69. I'd be amazed if they didn't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It'll be a straight wide road that stays out of towns and villages and connects directly to the M20, M7, N18 and N21, unlike the current N69. I'd be amazed if they didn't use it.

As long as it's not tolled of course they will use it. The Foynes - Limerick Railway would be a bigger disincentive for hauliers to not use the new road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Deedsie wrote: »
    As long as it's not tolled of course they will use it. The Foynes - Limerick Railway would be a bigger disincentive for hauliers to not use the new road.

Can't be tolled as its EU funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Can't be tolled as its EU funded.

Didn't watergrasshill have that anomaly?

If it's tolled I would imagine they wouldn't raise enough revenue to pay for the cost of operating the toll plaza

That slapping sound is the HGV ban being put on Askeaton. They'll use the new road alright.

Wonder how this'll be numbered. Will the existing N69 be downgraded? I'm thinking not as it's a tourist route, no?

In which case the new Rathkeale-Foynes road will need a new number.

I reckon it'll be a motorway from Adare to the Rathkeale bypass.

spacetweek wrote: »
    That slapping sound is the HGV ban being put on Askeaton. They'll use the new road alright.
    Askeaton was bypassed in the 1980s, I can't see HGV's being banned from the bypass.

Kildimo/Clarina/Mungret may be subject to a HGV ban alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

was in south court tonight...dual carriage way from adare to rathkeale...single road from rathkeale to foynes...how in the name of god is this of benefit to foynes!!!

Advertisement