Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are spirits, creepy encounters, ghosts, seances, ouija boards etc proof of afterlife

Options
  • 30-11-2015 1:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

What do you think? Arent ghosts proof that there's something after all this?

Are ghosts, spirits etc proof of afterlife? 144 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    18% 27 votes
    UNDECIDED
    81% 117 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nope.

/thread

They're proof of suggestibility, cold reading, group hysteria, imagination and gullibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gerry Rio wrote: »

Well, no... Becsuse none of the things you list are statisticly reliable....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

You sound like you have proof of ghosts?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol... nice bait thread

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

An File wrote: »
    Nope.

/thread

Very insightful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What you have provided, OP, is a list of things that constitute evidence of stupid.

May I just point the sceptics in the direction of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I've been around a while and been around a few places. Never had a hint of anything spooky, the people who tell me about their 'experiences' always seem to be those needy, always trying to impress type people. And vegetarians, always bloody vegetarians.

So no. The things that do not exist and have no evidence of existing cannot be accepted as proof of an afterlife.

Candie wrote: »
    They're proof of suggestibility, cold reading, group hysteria, imagination and gullibility.

So everyone in here is like that?

• Advertisement

May I just point the sceptics in the direction of this thread.

Who needs evidence when you have a whole thread full of anecdotes!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Very insightful. Thanks.

No problemo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's actually a really quick way to tell if your house is haunted.

It isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Not too long ago it was easier to believe in ghosts. When there were shadows in the corner of rooms and you walked home from the pub with a shaky flashlight. Sadly now everything is illuminated and even hearsay and rumour is countered by lack of video evidence.

In this age of eternal cameras, phones or cctv, check you tube and see the the evidence. Nothing.

Ghosts don't exist. I wish they did. But they don't.

:(

So everyone in here is like that?

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Candie wrote: »
    Who needs evidence when you have a whole thread full of anecdotes!

By your previous logic they're all liars or gullible.

Did I say liar? No, I didn't. Nice try.

'Psychic's' are certainly either liars or deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mostly gullible, I'd say. That's quite a funny thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Leaving aside for the moment that there is no such thing as ghosts, and just pretending for the sake of argument that there is such a thing as ghosts.....

I would think the most likely explanation of a ghost walking across a room or emerging/disappearing through a wall would be that we're getting a glimpse of somebody who existed in the past, maybe because of a thin spot in space-time. i.e. A window to the past has briefly opened, and we can see through it to a moment in history, but it doesn't imply that there was life after death for that person. People have even reported 'phantom buses'.

Quote:

The Phantom Bus.

There can be few hauntings that are as bizarre and dramatic as that which afflicts Cambridge Gardens in the early hours of some mornings.
    The phantom in question is that of a number 7 double decker London bus, last seen in May 1990.
    However, it first came to public attention when, in early one morning in 1934, a motorist driving along Cambridge Gardens, suddenly swerved, for no apparent reason, and was killed when his car hit a wall and burst into flames.
    At the subsequent inquest into his death, witnesses came forward to testify to the existence of a phantom bus that many of them had been seen, more or less at the exact spot where the fatal crash had occurred. They told how it would always appear at round about 1.15am, the time that the crash had occurred, and spoke of their terror as it came racing along the centre of the road towards them. No driver was ever visible, and no lights were ever on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

If there was proof of spirits, ghosts etc then maybe.

Creepy encounters might be creepy but there would be an explanation or is just coincidence.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Mostly gullible, I'd say. That's quite a funny thread.

Or drunk/exhausted/experiencing sleep paralysis/stressed/highly imaginative and suggestible.

No, wait!

Believing in phantoms and ghosts and things that go bump in the night is much more logical!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Spirits, seances, ghosts and ouija boards are NOT proof of the afterlife... They do belong in the same category though... Listed under complete nonsense.

There are over 3 thousand posts in that "Creepy" thread.

3 thousand!

So lets say half those posts are replies and not stories, that leaves 1,500 claims of encounters.

They're all liars?

3 thousand!

So lets say half those posts are replies and not stories, that leaves 1,500 claims of encounters.

They're all liars?

Yes. There are a few million others too.

Like these guys, they drive around Galway in a beat up old car with the cheapest stickers all over it. Fair play to them, they have a market but who are we kidding.

http://connachttribune.ie/galway-s-ghost-hunters-probe-the-paranormal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I keep an open mind about there being more outside the dimension we inhabit/are aware of. Might be nothing, but can't know for sure. People say to respect that religious people have their beliefs, why not the same applied to those who believe in the supernatural?

I know there are odious scammers that take advantage though.

They're all liars?

Not liars. Story-tellers. Some of them very good story-tellers too.

Not too many of them are claiming to offer proof of an "afterlife".

Azalea wrote: »
    I keep an open mind about there being more outside the dimension we inhabit/are aware of. Might be nothing, but can't know for sure. People say to respect that religious people have their beliefs, why not the same applied to those who believe in the supernatural?

I know there are odious scammers that take advantage though.

We should respect peoples 'rights' to belief. No expectation to respect the belief itself.

I personally find it all disturbing. Belief without evidence. Faith. Etc.

Not much respect for the right to logic from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I used t live in a house facing a cemetary.the weirdst thing about it was i used too see an old woman at night. She was always in the same spot beside the same grave. I never seen her leave or arrive.I don't live there anymore thank god. Hope she wasn't a goast ; ) she was always alone and I never seen her face it was always too dark. I'm sure she was just a poor grieving person. But graveyards creep me out . people who say they don't believe in goasts are mostly full of crap. I no a few places that they wouldn't spend a night alone for sure. There are some really old overgrown grave yards that are really isolated too. I suppose the people who don't believe would have no problem pitching a tent and spending the night in one without one thought of a goast. I very much doubt it ; )

An File wrote: »
    Not liars. Story-tellers. Some of them very good story-tellers too.

Not too many of them are claiming to offer proof of an "afterlife".

They're telling stories of spirit like encounters. That they believe in.

They're all wrong? All of them? You dont believe that one of the hundreds of stories in there had an real encounter with a spirit?

• Advertisement

3 thousand!

They're all liars?

Three thousand posts and how many instances of hard proof...?

Advertisement