Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are spirits, creepy encounters, ghosts, seances, ouija boards etc proof of afterlife

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I always think the main problem with seeing ghosts is that they are wearing clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I was watching a Keith Barry show on TV recently and he did a segment where he disguised himself and set up a psychic table on the street.
    He has said consistently he is not a psychic and he can explain everything he does with tricks. Of course he won't because that's bad for business for a magician.
    Anyway, he had a sign up on his table that people could pay him what they felt he was worth.
    He told people all about their dead loved ones, usually story. Timmy is happy and he's watching you etc.
    At the end it came to paying and ordinary people were only too happy to hand over fortunes (50 euro notes (plural) were produced) for this "service".
    Essentially psychics are a very nasty business whether the person doing it is a nasty person is an entirely different thing. I'm sure there are psychics that truly believe they are" gifted" and of course there are ones who know they are not.
    Unfortunately the results of either ones practice is usually the same.
    Vulnerable people have been preyed on. It doesn't even have to be financially rewarding as a local reputation as a "gifted" person can be reward enough.
    There is no more vulnerable person than someone who has lost a loved one and has now been offered a direct line to that person.
    I'm not a magician or particularly interested in psychics but there is no doubt there is a huge element of reading people and illusion to what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    What do you think? Arent ghosts proof that there's something after all this?

Proof of a swelling in a persons brain and little else, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

ScumLord wrote: »
    What's other dimensions got to do with ghosts? Are we now saying that on top of this universe being here just for us the other dimensions are there as an after party venue for dead humans.
    Just an expression. :)

I just don't think there'd be as much dismissiveness towards religious people - some people, including atheists, fall over themselves to defend people's religious beliefs, so why not this?

It's the "There's no such thing" as a fact, which I'm referring to - I don't mean simply not believing. But being sure? Nobody knows, how can people be so sure this world is all there is? I'm not saying I believe there's definitely something else, I'm just not ruling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

To those who have witnessed ghostly apparitions, I would urge you to consider that you may be 'gifted' and no amount of proof you offer will convince the disbeliever.
    (I speak from experience)

Funny you should say that since "no amount" is exactly the amount of proof that exists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any fans of "Sherlock" in here?

They did a great spin on The Hound of the Baskervilles for one episode in season 2.

It ties in beautifully with some of the ideas about the human mind mentioned in this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

To those who have witnessed ghostly apparitions, I would urge you to consider that you may be 'gifted' and no amount of proof you offer will convince the disbeliever.

The issue with that assertion is it tends to be untested. In that all the people saying "No amount of evidence will convince you" are the people who are not offering ANY evidence. At all. So at best it sounds like a cop out excuse for not offering evidence, and at worst it is a total canard.

Advertisement