Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 6P

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

A warning for anyone thinking of using the OnePlus cables on the nexus 6p

http://www.slashgear.com/google-engineer-discourages-buying-oneplus-usb-c-accessories-16414571/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

thomasj wrote: »
    A warning for anyone thinking of using the OnePlus cables on the nexus 6p

http://www.slashgear.com/google-engineer-discourages-buying-oneplus-usb-c-accessories-16414571/

Benson Leung is doing a great job with these reviews.
    Was very tempted to get that dongle adapter from OnePlus. Might wait till some compliant ones get released.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Anybody purchase a tempered glass screen yet? If so how is it.

lots if mixed reviews on line about a slight curve to the edge of the screen causing bubbles, and the sensor been blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

3102derek wrote: »
    Anybody purchase a tempered glass screen yet? If so how is it.

lots if mixed reviews on line about a slight curve to the edge of the screen causing bubbles, and the sensor been blocked.

I ordered one of these http://www.intelliarmor.com/intelliglass-nexus-6p-the-smarter-real-glass-screen-protector.html
    Hope to have it next week. It has the revised cutouts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Silly "Eh, what do you think guys" question:

I need a new handset, as my OnePlus One was robbed. Insurance paid out.
    I am currently using a Note 2 (lagging and old) but is getting me by.

The Nexus 6P is a very expensive device, and it is hard to get from outside of Europe at the cheaper price.
    The OnePlus 2 is a cheapish device, and is easy to get, but lacks fast charging, NFC and a decent fingerprint scanner.
    The Moto X Style is a reasonably priced device, and is easy to get, but lacks the features of the Nexus 6P.

I have an invite for the OnePlus 2, and its sitting in my account with 18+ hours left. I need to make a decision.
    I've been using Versus.com, many, many websites, and I've scouted the internet for information, but alas, I trust you all more.

Is the Nexus 6P really worth the guts of €800 excluding accessories (for something which I replace every two years). Do I need these features? Is it worth the pricey upgrade? Or, are the other devices just as good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I need a new handset, as my OnePlus One was robbed. Insurance paid out.
    I am currently using a Note 2 (lagging and old) but is getting me by.

The Nexus 6P is a very expensive device, and it is hard to get from outside of Europe at the cheaper price.
    The OnePlus 2 is a cheapish device, and is easy to get, but lacks fast charging, NFC and a decent fingerprint scanner.
    The Moto X Style is a reasonably priced device, and is easy to get, but lacks the features of the Nexus 6P.

I have an invite for the OnePlus 2, and its sitting in my account with 18+ hours left. I need to make a decision.
    I've been using Versus.com, many, many websites, and I've scouted the internet for information, but alas, I trust you all more.

Is the Nexus 6P really worth the guts of €800 excluding accessories (for something which I replace every two years). Do I need these features? Is it worth the pricey upgrade? Or, are the other devices just as good?

My advice - order the 6p and try it out. I did and returned it after 48 hours - see my posts above.
    Now back using my opo and like you got an opo 2 invite and have about 2 days left on it. Not sure I'll bother upgrading although might reconsider as CEX offered me €244 cash for my opo yesterday!!

My sister is back from Vegas in the next day or two with my Samsung gear S2 watch which I definitely couldn't have justified if I hadn't returned the 6p.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Not worth the price at all IMO. Save your money and buy something just as good for half the price.

Moto x style tempting but don't like the standard ones and no motomaker option in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Techmaster wrote: »
    Not worth the price at all IMO. Save your money and buy something just as good for half the price.

If one could get a Nexus 5X (32GB) for €370 would that be worth the money?

Thanks,
    M

digitaldr wrote: »
    My advice - order the 6p and try it out. I did and returned it after 48 hours - see my posts above.

But don't they only give you credit: no refunds, only the value of the item to use in the Google Store? No money back, as such. Plus, you must have opened, used, and activated the device?
    Now back using my opo and like you got an opo 2 invite and have about 2 days left on it. Not sure I'll bother upgrading although might reconsider as CEX offered me €244 cash for my opo yesterday!!

I would actually say, apart from the fingerprint sensor (being there, not necessarily the quality of it), that the OnePlus One is a better device. There's not much to benefit from.

madmoe wrote: »
    If one could get a Nexus 5X (32GB) for €370 would that be worth the money?

The Nexus 5X is the Fischer Price version of the 6P. It's like a colourful iPhone 6S. It's like going for a 6 inch Subway sandwich when a footlong is only a quid more.

All reviews I've read have stated that you should definitely fork out the extra money. Yes, these were mostly US priced websites, but the idea rings through.

However, if you could buy the Nexus 6P adequately from the US and not get hit by the boys in the customs, now we're talking. But, we can't buy from the Google Store (US or otherwise).

Moto x style tempting but don't like the standard ones and no motomaker option in Ireland.

Motomaker is interesting, but it still lacks in features versus the 6P. That fingerprint sensor is wonderful looking. Marshmallow on their own device. Etc.

• Advertisement

Why not get the original Nexus 6? You can pick one up for around €300-€400 now. Just as good.

Why not get the original Nexus 6? You can pick one up for around €300-€400 now. Just as good.

Woeful battery life and not up to date with specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

But don't they only give you credit: no refunds, only the value of the item to use in the Google Store? No money back, as such. Plus, you must have opened, used, and activated the device?

I checked this out with a Google sales rep before I bought it. You can use it as normal and as long as there's no physical damage (I got a case to protect it - returned this too) you can return it within 2 weeks for a full refund. Not only that they also pay return shipping - I just had to call the courier and they picked it up. Money was refunded to my credit card the day before it was signed for in Germany!

I would actually say, apart from the fingerprint sensor (being there, not necessarily the quality of it), that the OnePlus One is a better device. There's not much to benefit from.

Can you expand on this a bit? I thought opo2 had better build quality, screen and camera. Also processor and ram are both improved although this wouldn't be a big deal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

The Nexus 6P is a very expensive device, and it is hard to get from outside of Europe at the cheaper price. The OnePlus 2 is a cheapish device, and is easy to get, but lacks fast charging, NFC and a decent fingerprint scanner. The Moto X Style is a reasonably priced device, and is easy to get, but lacks the features of the Nexus 6P.

I need a new handset, as my OnePlus One was robbed. Insurance paid out. I am currently using a Note 2 (lagging and old) but is getting me by.

Maybe look at the moto x force. It's expensive enough as the nexus 6p, but it has better battery and it has the fastest charger out there. It has micro SD slot, screen is unbreakable (plastic) and its vanilla android .

thomasj wrote: »
    Maybe look at the moto x force. It's expensive enough as the nexus 6p, but it has better battery and it has the fastest charger out there. It has micro SD slot, screen is unbreakable (plastic) and its vanilla android .
    And butt ugly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Decided I will get the 6P. Going to order tomorrow. All things considered I want a larger phone and am tired of the memory management issues and touchwiz in general on the S6.

Anyway, those who have got theirs, how is the battery life. Will it make it through more than 1 day of moderate use. My main daily usage would be up to 4 hours of spotify (usually via mobile data), an hour on google newsstand, 15-20 minutes gaming, and about 150-200 texts or hangout messages. Very little wifi unless at home or in a cafe, and I never use location services or bluetooth. I like to keep background data restricted on most apps. This way my S6 is managing to have 30% battery left in the evening when I charge it up (say 11-12pm), starting with 100% at 6.30am.

Also - any annoying build quality issues (scratches out of box, loose buttons, camera misaligned etc..) or screen problems (tinting issues, stuck pixels). Not worried about the bending problem, more concerned about getting one scratched up out of the box which is why I will probably go for the carbon in the hope the paint protects the chamfered edges which are exposed on the aluminium version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Ordered my 6P yesterday. Can't wait to get a hold of it as my Nexus 4 is really giving up the ghost.

I sue my phone a lot in the car for SatNav and I was wondering as anyone purchased a good cradle?

I was looking at this but the reviews are mixed:

http://ie.mobilefun.com/12635-olixar-universal-smartphone-windscreen-in-car-holder.htm#overview-and-description

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Ordered my 6P yesterday. Can't wait to get a hold of it as my Nexus 4 is really giving up the ghost.

I sue my phone a lot in the car for SatNav and I was wondering as anyone purchased a good cradle?

I was looking at this but the reviews are mixed:

http://ie.mobilefun.com/12635-olixar-universal-smartphone-windscreen-in-car-holder.htm#overview-and-description

I have the Samsung one and it works perfect with 6PP

http://ie.mobilefun.com/35105-genuine-samsung-universal-vehicle-dock-windscreen-mount.htm

kave2 wrote: »

Just ordered it, thanks man!

• Advertisement

So I got my tracking details with DHL for my order:

Shipment information received, LONDON-HEATHROW - UK, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 00:00

Any ideas on how long it takes to get from London to Dublin? I presume thats direct and then onto a truck for delivery?

Thanks.

Ordered my 6P. In the end I went for aluminium 128gb. Too many reports on xda-forums of carbon arriving with paint chips or other defects. And I know these damn chamfered edges will scratch on the aluminium if this thing goes into any sort of case (again if xda-forums are to be believed and this was my experience with the note 4) so instead of case I went with this pouch from kitbag :) I don't drop my phones ever so prefer to use it without a case anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/fitBAG-tailored-integrated-microfibre-cleaning/dp/B015YGF478/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448301382&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+6p+pouch

Hopefully I don't get a 6P with defects, tinted screen or worse.

By the way is the speaker imbalance thing (top speaker louder / quieter than bottom) a "feature" or an actual issue ?

And what is a good cheap tempered glass screen protector to go for ?

Flaccus wrote: »
    Ordered my 6P. In the end I went for aluminium 128gb. Too many reports on xda-forums of carbon arriving with paint chips or other defects. And I know these damn chamfered edges will scratch on the aluminium if this thing goes into any sort of case (again if xda-forums are to be believed and this was my experience with the note 4) so instead of case I went with this pouch from kitbag :) I don't drop my phones ever so prefer to use it without a case anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/fitBAG-tailored-integrated-microfibre-cleaning/dp/B015YGF478/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448301382&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+6p+pouch

Hopefully I don't get a 6P with defects, tinted screen or worse.

By the way is the speaker imbalance thing (top speaker louder / quieter than bottom) a "feature" or an actual issue ?

And what is a good cheap tempered glass screen protector to go for ?

Feature. Was told by Google Support.

In what way is it a feature? They could just be covering themselves against returns or repair requests.

In what way is it a feature? They could just be covering themselves against returns or repair requests.

I know. She couldn't answer. She said if I'm not happy with the feature set of device I can send it back for refund.

Didn't ifixit show one of the speakers covered slightly, which I suppose would explain the lower volume. Still I will be likely using earphones.

Are you happy with your 6P ? Any issues, defects etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Zombienosh wrote: »

That's been mentioned before but I've not seen first hand reports of it here.

• Advertisement

I'm the same as this guy.

"1 Shipment information received LONDON-HEATHROW - UK 00:00 "

When shall I expect the Dublin delivery?

Advertisement