Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 6P

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For anyone who still has the possibility to cancel their order might want to have a look at this. It's kind of shocking http://www.phonearena.com/news/Will-the-Nexus-6P-bend-without-Gorilla-Glass-4-getting-compromised_id75423

I really wouldn't worry about this.

I work with O2 and worked in electronic repairs for years and virtually any phone can bend.
    The important thing to note here is that when you actually crack the glass itself it bends easier, and frankly, this is a fact of virtually any phone. I've seen it happen with Sony's, iPhones, and HTC's.

I'm not even getting the 6P because I'm way too poor, but from all I've read the positives greatly outdo the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

For those that have recieved the phone, how long did delivery take once you recieved the email that it was being shipped?

Ordered on launch day - shipping email 4 Nov 2015 1:56 pm, delivered today at 12.09 but unfortunately I'm at work so haven't got my mitts on it yet.

24q3ar5.png

I see there's a kernel out over on XDA that enables double tap to wake and allows display calibration too. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to rooting etc I've done a bit but wouldn't be that confident. Besides probably better to wait until I've decided to keep it!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Received my Adopted Case this morning along with my One+ One USB to type C cables. All I need now is my Nexus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

No double tap to wake by default :-(

• Advertisement

How many home screens are available on the 6P?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

1jcdub wrote: »
    How many home screens are available on the 6P?

It uses the Google Now Launcher out of the box so whatever that max limit is. Over 10 anyway I'd say.

It uses the Google Now Launcher out of the box so whatever that max limit is. Over 10 anyway I'd say.

I believe the goggle now launcher in the play store only has 3 home screens. I tendvto use 5 generally

1jcdub wrote: »
    I believe the goggle now launcher in the play store only has 3 home screens. I tendvto use 5 generally

I've just tried creating 7 with no issues. Can still make more.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

I've just tried creating 7 with no issues. Can still make more.

Yeah I made 16 there as a test, not including Google Now. Also with Marshmallow folders can have more than 16 items in them.

• Advertisement

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    Yeah I made 16 there as a test, not including Google Now. Also with Marshmallow folders can have more than 16 items in them.

Thanks guys. Good to know. Hope my 6P is shipped soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone else having trouble with WiFi? Mine can't connect to my main router and while it can connect to the UPC Horizon router it keeps dropping the connection every few minutes. That bit could just be crap UPC equipment though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Anyone expecting there's today?

Throw up some pics of the box and stuff for us to oogle at?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

Thought it was a bit strange that my tracking hadn't updated since 5.17 yesterday morning so I rang DHL this morning.

They don't know where it is!

Lost in transit between east midlands and Shannon!

To say im gutted is an understatement!

DHL are opening an investigation and should be back with me in the next two hours. According to the customer service rep...they might not have any update!

Oh the joys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Lads, the model that I want is back in stock.
    It's expensive, it's a big purchase, it's got only 3GB of RAM, and it's replacing my lost OnePlus One.

Will I be happy with this phone?
    Looking at getting a Speck case to go with it. €750 is not a cheap price.

Advice please!

Lads, the model that I want is back in stock.
    It's expensive, it's a big purchase, it's got only 3GB of RAM, and it's replacing my lost OnePlus One.

Will I be happy with this phone?
    Looking at getting a Speck case to go with it. €750 is not a cheap price.

Advice please!

Only 3GB of RAM?

I currently have a phone with 4GB RAM, previously 3GB, and 2GB before that. I can't tell any difference between any of them, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks for that. It's just coming from a OPO I am paying considerably more for less.
    Have you got the device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Was looking at getting the S5 for free from ID Network or Vodafone and selling it. ID are offering 20gb Data while Vodafone are offering 5gb both 2 year contracts.

Now I'm tempted to go for ID but reading the issues in the ID thread I'm leaning towards Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Lads, I have a buyer for my Note 4 and thinking of getting 6P. Is it a worthy upgrade from my note 4? Anyone upgraded from note 4? Cannot decide what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I got my 6p on Thursday and will be returning it on Monday. Don't get me wrong - it's a good phone but it's just not for me. I've never had a phone with an amoled screen before and frankly I'm not a fan. Basically I hate the fact that when viewed even slightly off angle there's loads of colour shifting. This is most noticable on a white background. Unfortunately I do a lot of reading on my phone so it really bugs me. Also I can't appreciate any great difference in sharpness compared to my OPO.

The colours are way too saturated and turning on RGB mode makes them too washed out. I could always have flashed a new kernel that would allow me to calibrate the screen but this wouldn't solve the colour shifting problem.

Also it's just a little too big & I have large hands.

Camera seems good but I usually use my DSLR for important occasions.

Performance is great but probably more than I need as I don't play any graphics intensive games.

Finally the price is just too high and it really rankles that it's so much cheaper in the US.

So I'll be sticking with my OPO for the time being.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I got my 6p on Thursday and will be returning it on Monday. Don't get me wrong - it's a good phone but it's just not for me. I've never had a phone with an amoled screen before and frankly I'm not a fan. Basically I hate the fact that when viewed even slightly off angle there's loads of colour shifting. This is most noticable on a white background. Unfortunately I do a lot of reading on my phone so it really bugs me. Also I can't appreciate any great difference in sharpness compared to my OPO.

The colours are way too saturated and turning on RGB mode makes them too washed out. I could always have flashed a new kernel that would allow me to calibrate the screen but this wouldn't solve the colour shifting problem.

Surely you don't read with the screen at an angle, so I can't imagine it has an impact on your reading experience?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Surely you don't read with the screen at an angle, so I can't imagine it has an impact on your reading experience?

Actually I do especially in bed and it only has to be a very slight angle to see colour shifting. As I said it's a good phone but it's just not right for me - I think I just got too used to IPS displays and don't want to pay €700 for a phone without one!

digitaldr wrote: »
    Actually I do especially in bed and it only has to be a very slight angle to see colour shifting. As I said it's a good phone but it's just not right for me - I think I just got too used to IPS displays and don't want to pay €700 for a phone without one!

Yeah, pretty interesting. I'm sure reviews would score your OPO screen much worse than the 6P, but as you say, it's what you're used to. I've recently gone to Amoled after my last 3 devices having LCD, and I can notice the colour shift if I look at it, but can't say I had before now. Now I won't be able to unsee it (damn you! :p)

I'm of the opinion that there isn't a bad screen out there any more, at least with flagships. I've always been a huge fan of LCD, but I would say Amoled and LCD are pretty on par at the moment. The deeper blacks and more vivid colours are definitely a win for the amoled.

I'm of the opinion that the 6p screen is far far better than the OPO. The OPO screen was the worst part of the phone and the biggest corner cut to keep the price down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

There's no real answer to this one - just comes down to personal preference. I agree that the OPO screen is not the best out there but it's ok for me at the moment - anything except AMOLED!

It amazes me that lots of people put up with saturation levels on their AMOLED phones that they wouldn't tolerate on their TVs for long without reaching for the remote. At least most modern AMOLED phones allow for some degree of tweaking now.

It galls me to admit but Apple have great hardware (apart from crap battery life and no quick charging) and great screens. Wonder if they will ever go down the AMOLED route?

Edit: They did for the Apple watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 murphp

Did anyone who got an estimated delivery date of 16th-18th November receive theirs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

murphp wrote: »
    Did anyone who got an estimated delivery date of 16th-18th November receive theirs yet?

I ordered mine this morning, at first it was saying 16-18th of November. Got email couple hours ago, shipped.

• Advertisement

murphp wrote: »
    I had those estimated dates. I received an email today to say it's been shipped. Tracking number provided too. Coming through dhl. Hour is here for Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest

Advertisement