Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Open Gate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Interesting.

Where, exactly, is this place? By that I mean on what street is the access?

I wonder do they need a pub licence?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    Where, exactly, is this place? By that I mean on what street is the access?
    James's Street, here.
    I'd have thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They bought Leonards on waiting strret at the edge of the brewery a few years back so it could be that

Yes they need a pub licence; no they don't have one yet; so the beer was all free this evening. Which was nice.

Foreign Extra is still the best thing they make. The nitro IPA is weird but not in a good way; the milk stout is milk stouty but with a bit too much roast, the imperial dunkel weissbier (which isn't a weizenbock) works well but is no Aventinus and the barrel aged ale needs way more time to mellow out. The plan is to have a new beer every fortnight, and they have pretty much free rein to brew what they like with access to some impressive resources. I expect big things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes they need a pub licence; no they don't have one yet; so the beer was all free this evening. Which was nice.

You didn't! The enemy!

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    You didn't! The enemy!
    :confused: The notion that some beer is "craft" and some beer is not is the real enemy. :)

:confused: The notion that some beer is "craft" and some beer is not is the real enemy. :)

I said what now? :)

Hate The Beer Not The Brewer™.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Foreign Extra is still the best thing they make.
    Do they have pints of it on draught?

Nah, bottle only. The only thing missing from the menus posted above is the Scotch whisky barrel-aged beer, and it's still very raw.

• Advertisement

Foreign Extra is still the best thing they make.

A great beer, which should be for sale in more pubs. How many pubs sell it? I'd say very few.

A good example of why we should not unthinkingly dismiss large breweries as being unable or unwilling to produce good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Interesting that Guinness are now brewing craft beer and selling direct to the public, following in the footsteps of other craft microbreweries like Sweetmans and Fran Well.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Interesting that Guinness are now brewing craft beer and selling direct to the public, following in the footsteps of other craft microbreweries like Sweetmans and Fran Well.

When they get their licence sorter

oblivious wrote: »
    When they get their licence sorter

I'm sure that won't take long. But my point was that Guinness are now brewing proper craft beer in their micro brewery and (will be) selling it in their own craft brew pub.

n97 mini wrote: »

Yeah I wonder what took them so long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Hate The Beer Not The Brewer™.

True but...

Never forget the intention.

Never forget that given their choice at the end of the day it will only be Guinness.

We've had that for too long.

That's just business, but I think it's okay to be cynical.

Turpentine wrote: »
    given their choice at the end of the day it will only be Guinness.

We've had that for too long.
    We never had that. We just had lazy people who preferred drinking Guinness and complaining to making the effort and drinking other Irish beers.

Never forget that those of us who thought Guinness wasn't good enough have been putting our beer money behind other breweries for the last two decades.

We didn't do it because we hated Guinness. We did it because we wanted better beer.

We still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

We never had that. We just had lazy people who preferred drinking Guinness and complaining to making the effort and drinking other Irish beers.

Fair enough. Maybe the stories of "Don't stock Brand X or we won't supply you with Guinness" are just old wives tales.

Either way it's very hard to make a choice when there's no other options on tap.

As it was for years. Still is in a lot of places.
    Never forget that those of us who thought Guinness wasn't good enough have been putting our beer money behind other breweries for the last two decades.

We didn't do it because we hated Guinness. We did it because we wanted better beer.

We still do.

Who said anything about hating Guinness? It is what it is.

Personally I'd prefer if they had less clout because no one company should dominate an industry as much as they have for way too long.

When they start wading into the "craft" market, it should be met with trepidation. At the end of the day any company will cut down to core products for economy of production given the opportunity. Once they can get rid of the competition first.

Like I said though, business is business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seems that Diageo's strategy is to break into the "craft premium" beer market and thus increase share value to investors...

I'll avoid completely, thanks!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Seems that Diageo's strategy is to break into the "craft premium" beer market and thus increase share value to investors...

I'll avoid completely, thanks!

Even if they make the most delicious <tenzor's favorite beer style ever> ever?

• Advertisement

Diageo don't!

Diageo don't!

But they're only starting

Couldn't care less about Diageo, will stick with the Irish craft beer companies thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Personally don't care who makes the beer as long as it's tasty.

Couldn't care less about Diageo, will stick with the Irish craft beer companies thanks.

This means you will miss Guinness ES and Guinness FES, both good beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Went along last night for the Smithwicks Homebrew Competition final. Aside from the usual Diageo fare they had a nitro milk stout, nitro IPA and the 2 Smithwicks homebrew winners. Thought the milk stout was grand but pretty unspectacular and the nitro IPA just tasted like a bog standard English IPA that you'd get in spoons up here. They've a new head brewer and he has some interesting beers in the pipeline but I can't see myself heading out there specifically. Bit too much of a trek if you're in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I actually emailed them a while ago and had booked a place for the opening night which was supposed to be last Thursday/Friday.

I was speaking to the guy on the phone and he said that you have to pre-book and a ticket costs €6 and a tasting bat is included in the price, after that you have to pay for the beer, so they must have a pub licence.

They got back to me last week and said that the opening was delayed until tonight. Unfortunately I couldn't go tonight or tomorrow or this side of Christmas for that matter. I'll definitely have a gander some time in the new year though as it's easy for me to get to.

BaZmO* wrote:
    I was speaking to the guy on the phone and he said that you have to pre-book and a ticket costs €6 and a tasting bat is included in the price, after that you have to pay for the beer, so they must have a pub licence.

Mmmh not sure if thats legal of them. You can't benefit in kind with the sale of alcohol with out a licence

I'd say they have a licence by now. If not they would still have an emergency option of refunding or not charging everyone booked in for tonight.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Personally don't care who makes the beer as long as it's tasty.

And if the maker of a tasty enough beer has muscle they'll squeeze out the competition. So you'll have a tasty beer, and no choice.

Advertisement