Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guinness Open Gate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,716 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Interesting.

Where, exactly, is this place? By that I mean on what street is the access?

I wonder do they need a pub licence?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    Where, exactly, is this place? By that I mean on what street is the access?
    James's Street, here.
    I'd have thought so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

They bought Leonards on waiting strret at the edge of the brewery a few years back so it could be that

Yes they need a pub licence; no they don't have one yet; so the beer was all free this evening. Which was nice.

Foreign Extra is still the best thing they make. The nitro IPA is weird but not in a good way; the milk stout is milk stouty but with a bit too much roast, the imperial dunkel weissbier (which isn't a weizenbock) works well but is no Aventinus and the barrel aged ale needs way more time to mellow out. The plan is to have a new beer every fortnight, and they have pretty much free rein to brew what they like with access to some impressive resources. I expect big things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes they need a pub licence; no they don't have one yet; so the beer was all free this evening. Which was nice.

You didn't! The enemy!

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    You didn't! The enemy!
    :confused: The notion that some beer is "craft" and some beer is not is the real enemy. :)

:confused: The notion that some beer is "craft" and some beer is not is the real enemy. :)

I said what now? :)

Hate The Beer Not The Brewer™.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Foreign Extra is still the best thing they make.
    Do they have pints of it on draught?

Nah, bottle only. The only thing missing from the menus posted above is the Scotch whisky barrel-aged beer, and it's still very raw.

• Advertisement

Foreign Extra is still the best thing they make.

A great beer, which should be for sale in more pubs. How many pubs sell it? I'd say very few.

A good example of why we should not unthinkingly dismiss large breweries as being unable or unwilling to produce good beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Interesting that Guinness are now brewing craft beer and selling direct to the public, following in the footsteps of other craft microbreweries like Sweetmans and Fran Well.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Interesting that Guinness are now brewing craft beer and selling direct to the public, following in the footsteps of other craft microbreweries like Sweetmans and Fran Well.

When they get their licence sorter

oblivious wrote: »
    When they get their licence sorter

I'm sure that won't take long. But my point was that Guinness are now brewing proper craft beer in their micro brewery and (will be) selling it in their own craft brew pub.

Yeah I wonder what took them so long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Hate The Beer Not The Brewer™.

True but...

Never forget the intention.

Never forget that given their choice at the end of the day it will only be Guinness.

We've had that for too long.

That's just business, but I think it's okay to be cynical.

Turpentine wrote: »
    given their choice at the end of the day it will only be Guinness.

We've had that for too long.
    We never had that. We just had lazy people who preferred drinking Guinness and complaining to making the effort and drinking other Irish beers.

Never forget that those of us who thought Guinness wasn't good enough have been putting our beer money behind other breweries for the last two decades.

We didn't do it because we hated Guinness. We did it because we wanted better beer.

We still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

We never had that. We just had lazy people who preferred drinking Guinness and complaining to making the effort and drinking other Irish beers.

Fair enough. Maybe the stories of "Don't stock Brand X or we won't supply you with Guinness" are just old wives tales.

Either way it's very hard to make a choice when there's no other options on tap.

As it was for years. Still is in a lot of places.
    Never forget that those of us who thought Guinness wasn't good enough have been putting our beer money behind other breweries for the last two decades.

We didn't do it because we hated Guinness. We did it because we wanted better beer.

We still do.

Who said anything about hating Guinness? It is what it is.

Personally I'd prefer if they had less clout because no one company should dominate an industry as much as they have for way too long.

When they start wading into the "craft" market, it should be met with trepidation. At the end of the day any company will cut down to core products for economy of production given the opportunity. Once they can get rid of the competition first.

Like I said though, business is business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Seems that Diageo's strategy is to break into the "craft premium" beer market and thus increase share value to investors...

I'll avoid completely, thanks!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Seems that Diageo's strategy is to break into the "craft premium" beer market and thus increase share value to investors...

I'll avoid completely, thanks!

Even if they make the most delicious <tenzor's favorite beer style ever> ever?

• Advertisement

Diageo don't!

Diageo don't!

But they're only starting

Couldn't care less about Diageo, will stick with the Irish craft beer companies thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Personally don't care who makes the beer as long as it's tasty.

Couldn't care less about Diageo, will stick with the Irish craft beer companies thanks.

This means you will miss Guinness ES and Guinness FES, both good beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Went along last night for the Smithwicks Homebrew Competition final. Aside from the usual Diageo fare they had a nitro milk stout, nitro IPA and the 2 Smithwicks homebrew winners. Thought the milk stout was grand but pretty unspectacular and the nitro IPA just tasted like a bog standard English IPA that you'd get in spoons up here. They've a new head brewer and he has some interesting beers in the pipeline but I can't see myself heading out there specifically. Bit too much of a trek if you're in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I actually emailed them a while ago and had booked a place for the opening night which was supposed to be last Thursday/Friday.

I was speaking to the guy on the phone and he said that you have to pre-book and a ticket costs €6 and a tasting bat is included in the price, after that you have to pay for the beer, so they must have a pub licence.

They got back to me last week and said that the opening was delayed until tonight. Unfortunately I couldn't go tonight or tomorrow or this side of Christmas for that matter. I'll definitely have a gander some time in the new year though as it's easy for me to get to.

BaZmO* wrote:
    I was speaking to the guy on the phone and he said that you have to pre-book and a ticket costs €6 and a tasting bat is included in the price, after that you have to pay for the beer, so they must have a pub licence.

Mmmh not sure if thats legal of them. You can't benefit in kind with the sale of alcohol with out a licence

I'd say they have a licence by now. If not they would still have an emergency option of refunding or not charging everyone booked in for tonight.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Personally don't care who makes the beer as long as it's tasty.

And if the maker of a tasty enough beer has muscle they'll squeeze out the competition. So you'll have a tasty beer, and no choice.

And if the maker of a tasty enough beer has muscle they'll squeeze out the competition. So you'll have a tasty beer, and no choice.

Well there you have it, a multinational conglomerate has the financial power to muscle out the competition and we're back to the same choice(s) as it was up until the 1990's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Like in the states?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Paid a visit tonight and have to say I was very impressed with the set up. It's €6 for a sampler flight of four beers (1/3 of a pint of each), and while it may not be he same sort of standard you'd get in a proper craft beer pub, it was still decent enough to be worth trying. For my flight I had both Christmas ales on offer, a milk stout and a dunkelweizen. The Christmas ales were the finalists in the Smithwicks home brew competition. The winner (Old Town) tasted a bit cough syrupish at first, but that's probably because I'm not a fan of liquorice. My drinking companion liked it more than I did. The other one is an apple pie ale, which wasn't bad, although the apples weren't always noticeable. The texture of the milk stout was possibly a little thin, but the flavour was good, if not quite as sweet as some milk stouts I've had. I agreed with my friend's suggestion that the addition of some coffee would make it a very nice beer, or it could make a nice vanilla stout as well. The real star of the show was the dunkelweizen. It's 8.4%, but you wouldn't really know it and it was worth going just for that imo. I'd be very happy if Guinness released it commercially. The barman also gave us a taste of a barrel aged cask ale they have maturing which I reckon will be very interesting after it's had another couple of weeks in the cask. At the moment they have a very tasty wee heavy on their hands.

Look, it's not going to be for everyone, there will be some who just won't be able to get past the fact that it's a macro brewery muscling in on the craft beer buzz. But so what? They're offering a couple of decent and interesting beers which ultimately might encourage some people to broaden their tastes when it comes to beer. And as I said, they also have some potentially commercial beers on their hands that could offer a little more choice to beer drinkers if they choose to make them.

For anyone who's interested, one of the barmen told me that they plan to offer a new beer every two weeks or so. They're down to their last two barrels of the dunkelweizen, and after that's gone they're planning an oatmeal brown ale with peanut butter, followed by a vanilla stout and then a California common/Vienna lager hybrid.

Zaph wrote: »
    Paid a visit tonight and have to say I was very impressed with the set up.

I was there Wednesday night and was similar impressed and it turns out the manger is a long time Beoir member!!!!! :p

Not a fan of the dunkelweizen. it just not a dunkelweizen with Guinness yeast it really needs a Bavarian yeast. But it did have that nice candy sweetness that Schneider Aventinus has.

The nitro IPA was interesting, but I suspect I would prefer it on CO2 and I thought the real hit was the milk stout, very tasty

Look, it's not going to be for everyone, there will be some who just won't be able to get past the fact that it's a macro brewery muscling in on the craft beer buzz. But so what?

Yea, funnily enough no one seams to get as vexed about 5 lamps brewery, at least Guinness are open bout their brands

they're planning an oatmeal brown ale with peanut butter, followed by a vanilla stout and then a California common/Vienna lager hybrid.
    There's a rye IPA with Amarillo in the tank at the moment and I had a sneaky taste last week. It's very promising.

I wish they'd do more about publicising what's available. I think we still have that classic big-brewery disconnect between what the brewers are doing and what the marketing people are saying. The two sides don't talk to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Can you just stroll up for a pint yet or do you need to book in advance?

What I've heard is that if there's space, they'll allow walk-ins. You can also check availability on their booking system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Anyone got a report from one of these events? Are there many drink samples included in entry? They mention food is available, is it bacon fries and tayto or something inferior :) Heading this Thursday

Are there many drink samples included in entry?
    4. You might get one from the oak barrel as well, if you look interested and it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Heading in this week. Had never heard of it until I read the thread. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Let us know what's on tap this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yarghhh

Let us know what's on tap this week.

I was there Friday. The specials were then:

Antwerp Imperial Stout
    Vienna Larger
    Nitro IPA

Does it change each week?

Cheers!
    Yarghhh wrote: »
    Does it change each week?
    When they started the plan was a new beer every fortnight, though I don't know how well they're sticking to that.

Will have a look on Thursday.

Specials were still Vienna Lager, Antwerp Imperial Stout, Nitro IPA and Milk Stout last night.

Only one that stood out was the Antwerp which I liked.

Really nice looking bar as well.

Didn't get a chance to ask about the cask one because the fire alarm went off and we had to stand outside for a fair while. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was in there last night, enjoyed it.
    Surprised that they had the mainstream Hop House 13, normal Guinness, Blonde on. The Tropical IPA had good aroma but no real pronounced hop flavour, would love to try Pilsner 1516 against Harp, thought it was alright. The Vanilla Stout was decent but didn't get much vanilla off it. The Antwerpen was really nice - also got to try it from the Cask (barrel aged in Rum Casks) which was very good too.
    Finished off with a bottle of Foreign Extra.
    My mate had the Nitro IPA, just all kinds of wrong to me.
    They could do with upping the food available, was just about to pounce on the giant pretzels when a group bought all of them. Only other option was crisps.
    Well worth a trip.

Surprised that they had the mainstream Hop House 13, normal Guinness, Blonde on.
    The place exists in order to advertise these beers so it makes sense they'd be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The place exists in order to advertise these beers so it makes sense they'd be there.

True, I suppose I'd hoped there would be more of the "exotics" than the widely available, rather than 50/50. From the quotes on the site it would seem to imply a greater amount of "new" beers, experimental beers, or that could just be me.

WE INVITE YOU TO COME ALONG AND TRY OUR NEW BEERS, MEET OUR BREWERS AND SOAK UP THE UNIQUE ATMOSPHERE INSIDE THE WALLS OF OUR EXPERIMENTAL BREWERY.
    SOME OF THESE BEERS WILL END UP ON AT YOUR LOCAL PUB OR THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD. OTHERS WILL NEVER LEAVE THESE WALLS.

True, I suppose I'd hoped there would be more of the "exotics" than the widely available, rather than 50/50.
    Four of their own beers seems to be the norm. They do turn them over fairly quickly. There's a strawberry porter and something else new coming up in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

... The Antwerpen was really nice ...

That's the Foreign Export btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement