Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Developments 2016-2019

Options
  • 19-11-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Just noticed in the Leader a list of projects which are to be allocated funding between 2016 and 2019.

Here is the list
    - €68m on Regeneration construction schemes

- €16.5m for the Coonagh/Knocklasheen Distributor Road

- €3m on the pedestrianisation of O’Connell Street

- €16m for the redevelopment of the Hanging Gardens site

- €16m for new footbridge that connects Arthur’s Quay to the Treaty Stone

- €11m for flood protection in St Mary’s Park, Corbally Banks and Condell Road

- €11m for the Churchfield site, Southill

- €9.8m for Regeneration construction scheme on Lord Edward Street

- €9.3m on Regeneration construction scheme at Cosgrave Park

- €9m to be spent on social intervention grants

- €6.3m on N69 Foynes to Limerick road

- €6.05m on R510 Dock Road improvements

- €6m on Cleeve’s Factory

- €6m on transport link between the University of Limerick and Parkway

- €4.15m on the reconstruction of the Tipperary Road

- €4m on Mungret Village upgrade second phase

- €3.45m to be spent on demolitions and security as part of Regeneration projects

- €3m on Parnell Street improvements

- €3m on redevelopment of the Opera Site

- €3m on Moyross Community Centre

- €3m to be spent on Regeneration environmental and small capital projects

- €2.05m on Patrickswell Village improvements

- €2m on Parkway Roundabout

- €2m to be spent on National Cycle Network

- €2m to be spent on essential bridge repairs

- €2m on Biblical Centre near Dominicans (for a new digital learning hub)

- €2m on flood protection in Foynes, and €470,000 flood relief expenditure in Askeaton

- €2.1m on N20 O’Rourkes Cross improvement works

- €2.1m on N24 Bearys Cross improvement works

- €1.4m for Grove Island Roundabout

- €1.3m on ‘Green route’ on Dublin Road

- €1m on the fit out of film studios in Castletroy

- €1m on redevelopment of Mungret College, and €1.2m on Mungret Park

- €1.05m on Croom Distributor Road

- €1.56m on creation of burial grounds in Abbeyfeale, Murroe, Adare, Kilmallock and Caherconlish

- €700,000 on Park and Ride facilities

- €600,000 on development and extension works at Mount St Lawrence

- €600,000 on Black Bridge footbridge

- €500,000 on Newcastle West Active Town Scheme

- €500,000 on Childers Road updgrade

- €450,000 on Newcastle West town junction improvmenets

- €450,000 on Abbeyfeale traffic management

- €100,000 on footpath at People’s Park

- €100,000 on litter bin replacement programme

- €100,000 on Newcastle West Distributor Road

Read more: http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/219m-to-be-splashed-on-major-new-limerick-projects-1-7074681#ixzz3rxLheGhC

I thought the footbridge was to go from Arthurs Quay Park to the Castle and not across the river? :confused: Maybe it a typo?

Anyway good to see development happening in the city again and will be good to see some cranes on the skyline :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

great to see that the black bridge is finally getting sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Election time obviously.

€1.4m on grove island roundabout??

What exactly is this supposedly being spent on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

elastico wrote: »
    Election time obviously.

€1.4m on grove island roundabout??

What exactly is this supposedly being spent on?

Here is an artist's impression of how it will look. :pac:

FULLSIZE_a91273c2fc695c42c45ec1897ebd373a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

- €16m for new footbridge that connects Arthur’s Quay to the Treaty Stone

- €11m for the Churchfield site, Southill

- €9m to be spent on social intervention grants

- €4.15m on the reconstruction of the Tipperary Road

- €4m on Mungret Village upgrade second phase

- €3m on Moyross Community Centre

- €2m on Parkway Roundabout

- €2.1m on N20 O’Rourkes Cross improvement works

- €2.1m on N24 Bearys Cross improvement works

- €1.4m for Grove Island Roundabout

- €1.3m on ‘Green route’ on Dublin Road

- €700,000 on Park and Ride facilities

- €100,000 on litter bin replacement programme

Am I the only one who thought "WTF" when reading some of these figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Just noticed in the Leader a list of projects which are to be allocated funding between 2016 and 2019.

Here is the list

I thought the footbridge was to go from Arthurs Quay Park to the Castle and not across the river? :confused: Maybe it a typo?

Anyway good to see development happening in the city again and will be good to see some cranes on the skyline :)

16m for the bridge!!!!!

Just for fun I wanted to compare it to the one in dublin, as its the only other footbridge I could think of and it only cost 1.5 m

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/dublin-millennium-footbridge-to-cost-1-5m-twice-original-figure-1.170700

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Here is an artist's impression of how it will look. :pac:

FULLSIZE_a91273c2fc695c42c45ec1897ebd373a.jpg

Well if that's grove Island I can only imagine how parkway roundabout will look!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Election time obviously.

It's not local election time though. This has nothing to do with the government, or the elected councillors. This was in the draft budget prepared by civil servants who work in the council.
    Most of these projects have already been announced. All this is doing is saying that the money will be available over the next 3 years to progress these projects.
    imagine how parkway roundabout will look!

The roundabout is supposed to be removed and replaced by a signal controlled junction.

DaraDali wrote: »
    16m for the bridge!!!!!

Just for fun I wanted to compare it to the one in dublin, as its the only other footbridge I could think of and it only cost 1.5 m

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/dublin-millennium-footbridge-to-cost-1-5m-twice-original-figure-1.170700

Who cares? We're not paying for it. Plus the Millennium Bridge was built 15 years ago and the price was in Punts not Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So disappointed, no money allocated for a mono rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Who cares? We're not paying for it. Plus the Millennium Bridge was built 15 years ago and the price was in Punts not Euros.

Ah sure its grand so. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I've said this before but O'Connell isn't nearly busy enough to warrant pedestrianisation. It's so wide that it will feel empty for the majority of the day. A street that wide needs to have EXTREMELY high footfall.
    I've worked on Bedford Row for the last 8 years and I can tell you that the majority of people walk close to the shopfronts. The rest of the street is used for parking (illegally!), something which Limerick City Council don't seem to give two f*#ks about.

Red King wrote: »
    Ah sure its grand so. :rolleyes:

Your biggest issue seems to be that a bridge that was built 15 years ago cost €1.9m / £1.5m. The Millennium Bridge is 51m long. If the proposed bridge spans the Shannon it'll be 164m. If it's the original plan from Arthurs Quay Park to Merchants Quay then it'll be 184m.
    Comparing the cost of a 50m bridge built 15 years ago to a bridge which will be over 3 times as long is like comparing apples and oranges.
    Personally I like the idea of a pedestrian bridge spanning the river, especially when the council isn't paying for it, but not linking Arthers Quay with Merchants Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,738 ✭✭✭✭phog

Aside from the cost, I think the bridge as proposed is unnecessary and will spoil the view of the either side of the river from the other side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

How is all this funded?If even a tenth of it were to happen I'd be happy.

sleepyman wrote: »
    How is all this funded?If even a tenth of it were to happen I'd be happy.

It's in the article. A €32 million loan and the rest is to be funded by government grants (all of the road works definitely) philanthropic sources, and levies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's in the article. A €32 million loan and the rest is to be funded by government grants (all of the road works definitely) philanthropic sources, and levies.

It's amazing that we're getting a loan possibly to the value of €16m for a project that is massively unpopular, and that is very unnecessary and which will severely damage one of the most valuable aspects of the city. It's a scandal that so much money (before the €16m) has already been committed to it. Really shows how flawed local government is in this city, and country.

Personally I like the idea of a pedestrian bridge spanning the river, especially when the council isn't paying for it, but not linking Arthers Quay with Merchants Quay.

I agree. A footbridge downriver would be far more acceptable, say linking Howley's Quay and O'Callaghan Strand. However, neither are particularly justifiable on cost grounds.

zulutango wrote: »
    It's amazing that we're getting a loan possibly to the value of €16m for a project that is massively unpopular, and that is very unnecessary and which will severely damage one of the most valuable aspects of the city. It's a scandal that so much money (before the €16m) has already been committed to it. Really shows how flawed local government is in this city, and country.

The €32m loan is not going towards the bridge. It's in the article:

A controversial bridge linking Arthur’s Quay to the Treaty Stone will get €16m under the plans - although this will be funded almost entirely by grants, as opposed to local authority funds.

I've said this before but O'Connell isn't nearly busy enough to warrant pedestrianisation. It's so wide that it will feel empty for the majority of the day. A street that wide needs to have EXTREMELY high footfall.

Streets are pedestrianised to generate footfall by making the space more attractive to people. Traffic tends to keep people away from streets. This has been proven the world over.

It's like building motorways. You don't build them because the road you have is congested. It's about fundamentally changing the relationship between two places. Same goes for pedestrianisation of streets.

The €32m loan is not going towards the bridge. It's in the article:

A controversial bridge linking Arthur’s Quay to the Treaty Stone will get €16m under the plans - although this will be funded almost entirely by grants, as opposed to local authority funds.

Fair enough, we're not borrowing the money and repaying interest on it, we're just spending a huge amount of taxpayers money on it in the form of Bord Failte grants!

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    So disappointed, no money allocated for a mono rail.

I know a guy who'll do it for feck all.

If all this were to happen, its just more traffic chaos in Limerick city and county for the next 3 years with minimal improvements. €1.4m on grove island roundabout? What are they gonna do? Make it rounder? A lot of this looks to be digging up roads and putting them back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

What on earth does that mean? They've upgraded that roundabout by Groody twice in the last 7 years.

€6million seems like a lot of money for it just to go to the Parkway.

I'm always in favour of Public Transport enhancements, any more info on this would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1huge1 wrote: »

What on earth does that mean? They've upgraded that roundabout by Groody twice in the last 7 years.

€6million seems like a lot of money for it just go go to the Parkway.

I'm always in favour of Public Transport enhancements, any more info on this would be appreciated.

I'd love to know what they're planning here, putting in a better link between the motorway and the University would be a great investment, between the University and the Parkway, I'm not sure what they can do there's already a dual carriage way in place, unless they are looking to build a new road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd love to know what they're planning here, putting in a better link between the motorway and the University would be a great investment, between the University and the Parkway, I'm not sure what they can do there's already a dual carriage way in place, unless they are looking to build a new road.

Monorail fo shizzle.

Naw I Think They Need Intelligent traffic lights to replace every roundabout between the city and finnegans. Joke to have that much traffic travelling that far before hitting a real road rather than 50kmph suburban roads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

the transport link will be a cycleway/pedestrian route. for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

So still no link between Corbally/Parteen and UL. Can we use some of the bridge money on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Monorail fo shizzle.

Naw I Think They Need Intelligent traffic lights to replace every roundabout between the city and finnegans. Joke to have that much traffic travelling that far before hitting a real road rather than 50kmph suburban roads

Christ above, that's the last thing the city needs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

cgcsb wrote: »
    the transport link will be a cycleway/pedestrian route. for that money.

According to the leader is going to be a bus corridor as far as the parkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

source wrote: »
    According to the leader is going to be a bus corridor as far as the parkway.

Really? quite ambitious, and most welcome of course, if it actually happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mc Love wrote: »
    Christ above, that's the last thing the city needs
    Ah, you're opposed to the removal of the parkway roundabout so?

Advertisement