Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretched earlobes ....horrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

lanos wrote: »
    finally

The message below if not for anybody who has posted on this thread

Its a message to the kids out there who may be thinking about their future lives.
    if you want to look mad
    get a mohican----hair grows back
    walk around naked....and get dressed later
    get a henna tattoo on your forehead....they are not permanent.

and if you aspire to living in a nice house, drive a cool car, travel frequently for work or leisure, get a good job that requires a proper third level education.

do not mess with your face

do not get your ears stretched

There may be misguided people who tell you
    its ok, employers couldn't give a fiddlers how you look.
    i challenge you to go to a busy place and find a person with stretched lobes and observe him. follow him if you wish, discreetly. no harm its just an experiment.
    you will NOT see him climbing into a shiny new BMW
    99 times out of 100 he will be a bum.

You really are coming across as a bit of a asshole to be fair. Do you leave the house much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

aine92 wrote: »
    I think that you've just got to have a bit of cop on. I personally don't have a problem with piercings or whatever but you don't know the person who will interview you so you should err on the side of caution, especially if you've been having trouble.

It's just common place really; I wear jeans to work everyday but I wore a skirt suit to my interview. It's just the done thing whether you like it or not and these are the kind of things you have to do to get a job. :confused::o

It all depends upon the type of job you're going for though aine, that's the crucial point that Ianos seems to be missing.

In some jobs, physical appearance is the determining factor.
    In some jobs, qualifications is the determining factor.
    In some jobs, experience is the determining factor.
    In some jobs, personality is the determining factor.

All these things are just some of the criteria that employers base their decisions on, and if a candidate is suitable for a position, an employer who knows what they're doing, will hire the most suitable candidate for the position based upon their criteria, which are not necessarily the criteria that Ianos uses.

I've worked in management positions in IT MNC's, and currently I work in management in social care (while also being self-employed and working in the IT industry and being involved in education). I've conducted hundreds of interviews personally, and I've been involved in many more. I've helped people to gain employment in a vast array of career fields, from accountancy to... well, ok, I've never had to mentor anyone looking for a career in zoology, but you get the idea :D

I've also mentored entrepreneurs who have set up their own businesses, in a number of different areas and occupations.

Their physical appearance has always been the least of my concerns, but unfortunately, because of Ianos' ideas, these people think their appearance is the most critical factor in employers hiring decisions. They completely overlook the fact that employers are more interested in their skills, their competency, and them as a person, than they are in whether or not the person is pleasing to the eye.

Many times, interview candidates have made judgements about me based upon my physical appearance, and I can see it written all over their faces. They have no idea of my opinion on piercings or tattoos, but because of Ianos' opinion (who does not speak for me), they've nearly talked themselves out of a job, and I've had to try and get them back on track, focus on what they can bring to the role, because I want to hire them. I wouldn't have been involved in inviting them for interview otherwise, as it would be a waste of my time.

Tunnels, tattoos and piercings do not make someone unemployable, and they do not in any way hinder a person's prospects in life. It's very difficult to impart that to people, but I think this Commencement speech by Steve Jobs at Stanford University sums it up nicely -

And if you don't like that, there's always Ashton Kutcher's speech at the Teen Choice Awards where he addresses a group of young people -

In short - employers are people too, and just because Ianos or a handful of people here would not employ a person based upon their physical appearance, the fact is that there are many employers for whom a person's physical appearance is not a critical factor in their hiring decisions, if in fact it is indeed a factor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Long and short of it, will having stretched earlobes restrict you from certain career options? Possibly. More corporate careers, yes. "Client facing" IT careers, i.e on site consultancy, yes, I can't speak for medicine and law but I probably wouldnt hire a lawyer or see a consultant who had holes in their ears. You mightn't like that, but it's true.

If that's not an issue, go ahead, get those lobes stretched. It's a personal decision which I assume reflects a lifestyle choice and speaks to what you dont want to be as much as what you do want to be?

It all depends upon the type of job you're going for though aine, that's the crucial point that Ianos seems to be missing.

In some jobs, physical appearance is the determining factor.
    In some jobs, qualifications is the determining factor.
    In some jobs, experience is the determining factor.
    In some jobs, personality is the determining factor.

All these things are just some of the criteria that employers base their decisions on, and if a candidate is suitable for a position, an employer who knows what they're doing, will hire the most suitable candidate for the position based upon their criteria, which are not necessarily the criteria that Ianos uses.

I've worked in management positions in IT MNC's, and currently I work in management in social care (while also being self-employed and working in the IT industry and being involved in education). I've conducted hundreds of interviews personally, and I've been involved in many more. I've helped people to gain employment in a vast array of career fields, from accountancy to... well, ok, I've never had to mentor anyone looking for a career in zoology, but you get the idea :D

I've also mentored entrepreneurs who have set up their own businesses, in a number of different areas and occupations.

Their physical appearance has always been the least of my concerns, but unfortunately, because of Ianos' ideas, these people think their appearance is the most critical factor in employers hiring decisions. They completely overlook the fact that employers are more interested in their skills, their competency, and them as a person, than they are in whether or not the person is pleasing to the eye.

Many times, interview candidates have made judgements about me based upon my physical appearance, and I can see it written all over their faces. They have no idea of my opinion on piercings or tattoos, but because of Ianos' opinion (who does not speak for me), they've nearly talked themselves out of a job, and I've had to try and get them back on track, focus on what they can bring to the role, because I want to hire them. I wouldn't have been involved in inviting them for interview otherwise, as it would be a waste of my time.

Tunnels, tattoos and piercings do not make someone unemployable, and they do not in any way hinder a person's prospects in life. It's very difficult to impart that to people, but I think this Commencement speech by Steve Jobs at Stanford University sums it up nicely -

And if you don't like that, there's always Ashton Kutcher's speech at the Teen Choice Awards where he addresses a group of young people -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

finally

The message below if not for anybody who has posted on this thread

Its a message to the kids out there who may be thinking about their future lives.
    if you want to look mad

and if you aspire to living in a nice house, drive a cool car, travel frequently for work or leisure, get a good job that requires a proper third level education.

There may be misguided people who tell you
    its ok, employers couldn't give a fiddlers how you look.
    i challenge you to go to a busy place and find a person with stretched lobes and observe him. follow him if you wish, discreetly. no harm its just an experiment.
    you will NOT see him climbing into a shiny new BMW
    99 times out of 100 he will be a bum.

You know, I believe personality and ability to communicate well with others are also much sought after traits by employers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

petes wrote: »
    You really are coming across as a bit of a asshole to be fair. Do you leave the house much?

namecalling now....thanks :)
    Long and short of it, will having stretched earlobes restrict you from certain career options? Possibly. More corporate careers, yes. "Client facing" IT careers, i.e on site consultancy, yes, I can't speak for medicine and law but I probably wouldnt hire a lawyer or see a consultant who had holes in their ears. You mightn't like that, but it's true.

this is exactly what i have been saying but some people cant seem to grasp it.
    if you get body modifications on your face you may be risking your future career prospects.

leaving your face intact will not harm your prospects
    modifying your face probably will harm your prospects

so why would you take the risk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

katydid wrote: »
    Your business. Your loss. Especially when I'd tell all my friends about how I was treated.

That's a real problem for my imaginary restaurant. You act the dickhead to my imaginary staff, I throw you out, and you tell your friends half the story.

if you get body modifications on your face you may be risking your future career prospects.

I assume people who are getting their earlobes stretched are not looking to enter a corporate "client site" environment. Plenty of options open to them, I dont see it as a big deal once you take the facts into consideration.

Piercings are a different thing, once you can take them in and out it wont affect your options too much.

You are lying if you think it would be acceptable for an IT consultant to go on site to a bank or more traditional corporate environment with stretched lobes. I can tell you with more than 20 years exp in that environment I have never saw it. I have been presented with all manner of requirements for physical appearance for those institutions including black shoes only, clean shaved, short hair, suit and tie etc.

Well it's a good thing for me I never said that then. I've never met anyone applying for a career in the financial sector who had tunnels, I've met many who have had tattoos and piercings though, both men and women.

I wouldn't want anyone to be given the impression that I meet people with tunnels and tattoos all the time either. Tattoos are common enough though, even giving blood last night I noticed the sleeve tattoo on the nurse's arm and asked him about it. This guy was at least in his 50's. It didn't impede him from conducting himself in a professional manner. My barber who cuts my hair is inked up to, well, her neck, and it doesn't impede her from giving me exactly the haircut I want. Mate of mine owns an outdoor sports shop, looks like he was dragged through a ditch backwards, has the "rings" (tunnels, large ones!), a broken front tooth, surrounded by a beard and dreads. You couldn't meet a nicer guy, I've known him 15 years, and when I met him he'd green and pink spiky hair! :D

Is it acceptable in the newer wave of software houses, yes, absolutely. Google, airbnb etc, I imagine that you'd still get in the door, but that is not on site work. I have not worked in a single Financial Services company for example where it would fly.

Again, it's a personal choice. Maybe if you want to have hoops for earlobes you're more comfortable working behind the scenes or in a more modern employment environment, with less travel and on site work.

I'm not saying its right, but that's the world as is right now.

Exactly - it's all about context, and what the person themselves wants to do with their lives, they'll work for a lot longer, and be more productive, in a career that they're happy in, than a career where they're unhappy, and many employers are now beginning to recognise this.

I imagine you never went on-site with a face on you that says you hate your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Because it's their body and they can do what they want? You're way too overly concerned about what other people are doing. Fair enough it's a discussion and you've made your opinion loud and clear. But nearly a week on and you're still bitching about how people choose to live their lives. If someone gets a job with body mods, more power to them!! As long as they're earning something and not sitting around doing nothing on the dole, isn't that the main thing? Not everyone wants to be an exec. Not everyone wants to work in a bank or in finance. Seriously, if a person has a job, that should be the end of it. What they do or don't do is none of your business.

Why care so much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I wouldn't hire you on the basis that you can't read and understand sentences.

I assume people who are getting their earlobes stretched are not looking to enter a corporate "client site" environment.

probably not a safe assumption
    many students in 3rd level have no idea what whey want to do after graduation.

Then opportunity comes knocking and they get a call from the careers office informing them that [certain bluechip multinational] is expanding and has 20 places on its new graduate program offering a starting salary of 30K. exam results are good but theres the little problem of the dangling flapping earlobes hanging from his head.

never mind, theres always vodafone tele support offering 18K, your own cubicle and burnout within a year if you're lucky enough to outshine the 100's of other applicants with no degree but normal ears.

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Because it's their body and they can do what they want? You're way too overly concerned about what other people are doing. Fair enough it's a discussion and you've made your opinion loud and clear. But nearly a week on and you're still bitching about how people choose to live their lives. If someone gets a job with body mods, more power to them!! As long as they're earning something and not sitting around doing nothing on the dole, isn't that the main thing? Not everyone wants to be an exec. Not everyone wants to work in a bank or in finance. Seriously, if a person has a job, that should be the end of it. What they do or don't do is none of your business.

Why care so much?

its because i care so much that i am trying to educate those who are, as yet, undecided about whether or not to get tunnels.

some posters here had not even heard of tunnels before this thread.
    so i see myself as a educator.

why do you care so much that i care so much :)

How is their lack of tunnels going to give them any better idea what they want to do after graduation? You're ignoring again the vast majority of people who know exactly what they want to do which is why they enter third level education in the first place. That has absolutely nothing to do with tattoos or piercings or any of the rest of your nonsense.

Then opportunity comes knocking and they get a call from the careers office informing them that [certain bluechip multinational] is expanding and has 20 places on its new graduate program offering a starting salary of 30K. exam results are good but theres the little problem of the dangling flapping earlobes hanging from his head.

You really think that's how it works? Well, I suppose only in your own mind, that's exactly how it works. You're completely wrong though.

never mind, theres always vodafone tele support offering 18K, your own cubicle and burnout within a year if you're lucky enough to outshine the 100's of other applicants with no degree but normal ears.

This misguided shyte isn't even worth entertaining.

its because i care so much that i am trying to educate those who are, as yet, undecided about whether or not to get tunnels.

some posters here had not even heard of tunnels before this thread.
    so i see myself as a educator.

why do you care so much that i care so much :)

But you're not really an educator, you're just preaching your opinion. Like everyone else does on this website. You're not changing minds or changing lives. You're some arrogant, person, sitting at a computer, ranting at people who disagree with you and bemoaning the horrors of someone getting a body modification and getting other people to agree with you.

It's your opinion, it's great you have it but please, nobody is going to have a change of heart because some guy on the internet told them not to do it.

Why do I care so much?

Because I think you have this inflated sense of entitlement to tell people what they can and can't do even though it has no direct effect on your life whatsoever and I think it's about time I gave you this advice: Cop on and just let it be.

interesting read:

from a professional ear stretcher

http://www.startribune.com/the-case-against-stretching-earlobes/137908688/

mind you, its just his personal opinion so not to be taken as fact
    (disclaimer to satisfy half-blind-jack)

interesting read:

from a professional ear stretcher

http://www.startribune.com/the-case-against-stretching-earlobes/137908688/

mind you, its just his personal opinion so not to be taken as fact
    (disclaimer to satisfy half-blind-jack)

And in the interest of balance, here is an article by a woman who regrets doing all the **** you outlined.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2011/09/28/youth-in-the-office-confessions-of-a-fed-up-employee/

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    It's your opinion, it's great you have it but please, nobody is going to have a change of heart because some guy on the internet told them not to do it.

i disagree, i do see myself as an educator and if i can persuade just 1 person to avoid this misguided course then my time on boards.ie today has been very worthwhile.

i have not told anybody to do or not to do anything.
    i have asked people to consider the long term consequenses of their actions.
    i can't persuade somebody not to be a bell-end, i'm not that persuasive.
    i can only advise...and educate.

i disagree, i do see myself as an educator and if i can persuade just 1 person to avoid this misguided course then my time on boards.ie today has been very worthwhile.

I might see myself as Batwoman but that doesn't make it so. You might see yourself as an educator but again, that doesn't make it so. You, are a guy, on the internet, having arguments on the internet with people about other peoples earlobes.

What times we live in.

if you want to look mad

...so i see myself as a educator.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I have my ears stretched to 14mm. Never had any bother with them when working. Had 1 employer point them out, so I got flesh coloured plugs, job done. Kept the flesh coloured ones in while I was salon based so as to not frighten the aulwans, but my current employer couldn't give a fiddlers.

Tbh, an employer who puts that much emphasis on someone's feckin earlobes is likely to be a weapon in many other regards too, so it'd be a fairly mutual 'thanks but no thanks'

And in the interest of balance, here is an article by a woman who regrets doing all the **** you outlined.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2011/09/28/youth-in-the-office-confessions-of-a-fed-up-employee/

and what is she
    a filing clerk ?
    a secretary?

the article isn't clear

and what **** did i outline
    all i said was that tunnels and face piercings could hinder your future job prospects.

the fact is that a career isn't supposed to complete your life.
    it just provides a salary. its only one piece of the jigsaw.
    The girl in your article, her life is out-of-balance

true life satisfaction comes from inner peace and harmony and you won't get that from your job, your lack of a job or your choice of weird jewelery.

and what is she
    a filing clerk ?
    a secretary?

the article isn't clear

and what **** did i outline
    all i said was that tunnels and face piercings could hinder your future job prospects.

the fact is that a career isn't supposed to complete your life.
    it just provides a salary. its only one piece of the jigsaw.
    The girl in your article, her life is out-of-balance

true life satisfaction comes from inner peace and harmony and you won't get that from your job, your lack of a job or your choice of weird jewelery.

Goalposts just broke the sound barrier, I feel.

Goalposts just broke the sound barrier, I feel.

you'll have to explain that to me
    all this educating is making me tired

If you asked 3rd level students with hoops or stretched lobes whether they were considering a career with dress restrictions and/or a lot of time spent on site at large financial or corporate institutions I would be amazed if many of them said yes !

I think kids know what they don't want, perhaps more than what they do want.

Anyway, I think you're away with the birds tbh with this self granted "educator" title. An educator is a master of communication or they are nothing, you are...well, not a master of communication. Let's leave it there.

you'll have to explain that to me
    all this educating is making me tired

Nah, I don't see myself as an educator.

Nah, I don't see myself as an educator.

ok, probably just as well

ok, probably just as well

Zing. Got an older sister helping you out with these nuggets?

the thread has degenerated into sniping...no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Isn't that what the thread started as?

Advertisement