Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It wouldn't be Christmas without....

• 17-11-2015 12:47pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a fun game/thread to call out all the reasons that make Christmas...

It wouldn't be Christmas without the Coca-Cola ad and buying a RTE Guide at Christmas and rarely using it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Santy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Stuffing. 5lbs of stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 smarty_mcfly

Turkey!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

also Tins of Chocolate Kimberley, Roses (before they went to crap), Milk Tray (again, before they went to crap)

and listening to the Xmas songs on the way home from your last day's work before the big day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Hearing the sentence "Who keeps putting the empty wrappers back into the Roses box?!" at least once. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

The Late Late Toy Show!

And Baileys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

The fire being lit just for people to fall asleep in front of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Meeting old friends on Xmas eve in the Tap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

All the christmas songs on the radio, driving home for christmas, fairytale of new york etc. They really add to the athmosphere

the first two Home Alone films on RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Brussel Sprouts cooked in the ham water and my Mammys gravy! DELICIOUS

Christmas FM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Work becoming unfeasibly busy with lots of 4am starts in the cold; then tailing off to nothing until Paddys Day. Thankfully I'm on salary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Unimaginative relatives buying yet another set of Lynx deodorant and shower gel.

Someone buying me a set of novelty socks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Mulled wine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Mulled wine!!

I've never had mulled wine! Must try it this year.

Dry turkey: Either eating dry turkey, or someone worrying that the turkey might turn out dry, or someone constantly bringing up the year the turkey was dry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JustShon wrote: »
    Unimaginative relatives buying yet another set of Lynx deodorant and shower gel.

Someone buying me a set of novelty socks.

I'm at the age where I look forward to these type of gifts haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The darts on sky sports

The royle family before they stopped making them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm at the age where I look forward to these type of gifts haha.

I'm allergic to Lynx shower gel but the stock of deodorants can be handy alright.

Normal socks would be better than novelty socks since I could use them beyond December / January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Family. We're pardoning the turkey this year :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

tins of roses with only the coffee sweets left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In 25 now (26 on the 27 dec) and the Days of getting money in the cards are gone. Wish I wasn't single and my mom/Nanny's were here but life goes on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The darts on sky sports

The royle family before they stopped making them

Yes to the DARTS!! :D

Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

For me as the main organiser of Christmas in my home would definitely be ;
    The fear of having to go out for milk and bread the days before Christmas and it taking 3 hours :p and suddenly remembering every toy needs batteries... None of which I have :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Driving a good spree for 5-6 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Getting up at 6 on christmas eve to do the prep for Christmas day and it all being worth the tiredness when I see the kids faces on the morning itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Fr Ted Xmas Special.
    Can almost quote it line for line at this stage, but it's still magic.

Living in Edinburgh now, these lights are incredible, it makes coming to the office in the dark and leaving in the dark easier.

1386031544790c096f52c76ef7245a1a7c5f80f564032-mediumoriginalaspectdouble.jpg

Come December you can't get in the door for lunch, but they go all out there too:
    0_buildings_-_dome_christmas_2013_tree_and_waiters_144991.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funny how Christmas changes when you get married and/or have kids.

Before then, Xmas was going down to the parents' house, do the present thing, drink in hand by 2pm, nibbling on bits of food and watching TV (or playing video games, even in our 20s), then dinner, followed by a bit of TV then poker and/or board games late into the night/morning. Basically drinking and eating a lot and doing fck all.

Then you get married and end up at the in-laws on Xmas day and it's the little things. Like nobody really watching TV before dinner, instead everyone milling around doing stuff. And friends coming over for a drink (which we never really did), with everyone sitting there chatting. Then after dinner there's another lull, no TV, just people milling around. Though the board games still come out at 11pm, except it doesn't last till 4am and nobody gets very drunk. It's not a bad thing, just different.

Then a child comes along and screws it all up again. The person who's driving home can't drink. You constantly have something to do - sitting on the couch watching telly with a drink? Forget it, there's a nappy to be changed and child to be fed, and a constant watchful eye to be kept. Staying up till 4am playing board games and getting drunk? Ha!

The little one is 3 this year now, so I'm looking forward to being able to chill a bit more - she can play happily away with her toys while I watch some crap on TV. Though I'll still be at the in-laws, so I can't properly chill. :D

This is probably one of the last years we'll go to either parents' house and probably opt to stay at home next year instead. Which will be nice, but all different once again. Then we can make our own traditions that future Christmases won't be the same without :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The big jigsaw puzzle out on the table, everyone who passes by has a go at putting in a few pieces. It lasts until early January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

My mother's Christmas cake, it's simply the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

seamus wrote: »
    Funny how Christmas changes when you get married and/or have kids.

Before then, Xmas was going down to the parents' house, do the present thing, drink in hand by 2pm, nibbling on bits of food and watching TV (or playing video games, even in our 20s), then dinner, followed by a bit of TV then poker and/or board games late into the night/morning. Basically drinking and eating a lot and doing fck all.

Then you get married and end up at the in-laws on Xmas day and it's the little things. Like nobody really watching TV before dinner, instead everyone milling around doing stuff. And friends coming over for a drink (which we never really did), with everyone sitting there chatting. Then after dinner there's another lull, no TV, just people milling around. Though the board games still come out at 11pm, except it doesn't last till 4am and nobody gets very drunk. It's not a bad thing, just different.

Then a child comes along and screws it all up again. The person who's driving home can't drink. You constantly have something to do - sitting on the couch watching telly with a drink? Forget it, there's a nappy to be changed and child to be fed, and a constant watchful eye to be kept. Staying up till 4am playing board games and getting drunk? Ha!

The little one is 3 this year now, so I'm looking forward to being able to chill a bit more - she can play happily away with her toys while I watch some crap on TV. Though I'll still be at the in-laws, so I can't properly chill. :D

This is probably one of the last years we'll go to either parents' house and probably opt to stay at home next year instead. Which will be nice, but all different once again. Then we can make our own traditions that future Christmases won't be the same without :)

With you on this, except we've agreed that until our kids are out of the santa stage we are not leaving the house on christmas day, so no inlaws traditions to deal with, just ours.

At my home christmas day always ended with a card game, that always ended in an argument but you wouldn't be without it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Ham

Staplor wrote: »
    Ham

I think I could live without the Ham, as long as there's turkey I'd be fine.

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Selection Boxes... nothing says Christmas like chocolate for breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

katemarch wrote: »
    The big jigsaw puzzle out on the table, everyone who passes by has a go at putting in a few pieces. It lasts until early January.

I like the sound of this!!

nothing says Christmas like chocolate for breakfast.

This! I never have a selection box (I'm not a fan of many chocolate bars) but I always have either a chocolate Santa or chocolate coins or both on Christmas morning, usually in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Regards the mulled wine I'll be trying it for the first time this year. Got a hankering for doing it after last years Christmas episode of the podcast Stuff You Should Know went through making it. Even if it doesn't turn out great I figure the smell will be lovely in the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Selection Boxes... nothing says Christmas like chocolate for breakfast.

What? No way man, Ham > Turkey

Getting up at 6 on christmas eve to do the prep for Christmas day and it all being worth the tiredness when I see the kids faces on the morning itself

Or getting up at 5am Christmas Morning to sit with the camera outside childs door waiting for the little darling to wake up and realise that Santa actually got into his room. It was worth the 2 1/2 hour wait to get that photo of him trying to drag the sack (pillowcase) of presents out of his room!

As for It wouldn't be Christmas without.......... Barrys Tea advert. "Santa will bring them what they want, this is from me." Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It wouldn't be Christmas without... the original Willie Wonka film on the tv. My dad missed it one year and wasn't impressed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah Jaysus now the ham is essential. My Ma does it on Christmas Eve so we could demolish half of it after the pub in sambos. My mothers birthday is Christmas Eve so we use to always go for a few scoops. I've kids now so the tradition is gone. But she still gets the ham ready for our Christmas Eve visit.

Off to Canada to the in laws for Christmas this year, 3rd or 4th time ever, have to make my own ham this year. I do a fine job but it's never 100% right.

To sum up: ham.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

The Rte Guide, baileys, Brussels sprouts and Chrimbo songs lots and lots of chrimbo songs

Brian? wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus now the ham is essential. My Ma does it on Christmas Eve so we could demolish half of it after the pub in sambos. My mothers birthday is Christmas Eve so we use to always go for a few scoops. I've kids now so the tradition is gone. But she still gets the ham ready for our Christmas Eve visit.

I do love the Ham sambos on Christmas Eve.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Living in Edinburgh now, these lights are incredible, it makes coming to the office in the dark and leaving in the dark easier.

OMG - How did I forget about the Christmas lights in the Dome? You might have to beat your way in there with a stick but it's a Christmas highlight. I took the fiance for his first time last year. :)

Oh! And mince pies. And custard. And whisky. And brandy sauce. And I'll second mother's Christmas cake (with marzipan and icing). I've no idea how I don't double my own weight over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My mums homemade chicken and vegetable soup. We went to our cousins one year and they had leek and potato, yuck, wasn't the same.

This will be our first year spending Christmas Eve setting Up santa! Ridiculously excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

My two front teeth

• Advertisement
Advertisement