Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Prison Movie???

Options
  • 06-11-2015 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭

I love a good prison movie ......... The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Chopper are all great ........ my personal favourite is probably American Me.

What's yours?

Feel free to mention any not included in the poll.

What's Your Favourite Prison Movie? 153 votes

American Me
    9% 14 votes
    The Shawshank Redemption
    9% 14 votes
    Chopper
    33% 51 votes
    The Green Mile
    3% 6 votes
    Animal Factory
    4% 7 votes
    In The Name Of The Father
    0% 1 vote
    Papillon
    3% 5 votes
    American History X
    2% 4 votes
    Sleepers
    4% 7 votes
    Midnight Express
    2% 4 votes
    Dead Man Walking
    1% 3 votes
    Bronson
    0% 0 votes
    Law Abiding Citizen
    0% 1 vote
    The Rock
    0% 0 votes
    Murder In The First
    1% 3 votes
    The Last Castle
    0% 1 vote
    Get The Gringo
    1% 3 votes
    Scum
    1% 3 votes
    Cool Hand Luke
    5% 8 votes
    The Hurricane
    2% 4 votes
    Starred Up
    1% 2 votes
    Hunger
    0% 0 votes
    Bad Boys
    0% 1 vote
    Escape From Alcatraz
    3% 6 votes
    Ghosts Of The Civil Dead
    3% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

You left out what's imo the best one of all, A Man Escaped

I'd put A Prophet up there too. The French really are great at their prison films, have yet to see this one too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sleepers for me, Kevin Bacon was unforgettable in that, chilling performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Great Escape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I agree with the ones you listed OP and I have only seen a clip of Chopper (the scene where he says "keity seems to done himself a mischief" :) cant wait to watch it).

I liked The Experiment with Adrien Brody.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

I don't see Riot in Cell Block 11 or Brute Force in that list. Great films have been made for a very long time, not just the last 40 years or so. But Le Trou is the best one I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Scum.

Exceptionally powerful movie that still packs a whooper punch even after repeated viewings.

OYMMMM THA FACKING DADDEEE!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Chopper from that list
    but Brubaker should be on that list http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080474/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_24

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Stared Up is great but I couldn't understand a word anybody said in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Syvester stallones lock-up not mentioned,
    nor van dammes' Death warrant?

For Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I agree with the ones you listed OP and I have only seen a clip of Chopper (the scene where he says "keity seems to done himself a mischief" :) cant wait to watch it).

Aw Man, are you in for a treat! :D

"Hospital, driver..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,357 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chained Heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

For Shame.

True, also missing Escape Plan and Tango & Cash. The latter for Kurt Russell's hair alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I was almost going to pick Chopper as my favourite ....... watch it, enjoy it.

shazzerman wrote: »
    I don't see Riot in Cell Block 11 or Brute Force in that list. Great films have been made for a very long time, not just the last 40 years or so. But Le Trou is the best one I've seen.

I worked backwards and ran out of options (maximum 25) which is why I invited posters to post their own personal favourite ........

Tigger wrote: »
    Chopper from that list
    but Brubaker should be on that list http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080474/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_24

It should have been and would have been had I more options available ........

For Shame.

See above ........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

You forgot I love you Phillips Morris

Top 100 Prison Movies is on Channel Four tonight at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There are some titles on the list that have no business there since they are not even prison movies, and some excellent prison movies left off.

My favourite prison movie of all time may be Lock Up with Stallone, Brubaker is also excellent, The Great Escape would be in the mix for me, tough to pick a favourite. From the list maybe Scum as that really has stood the test of time, big fan of Shawshank and American History X even though the latter is certainly not a prison movie

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

There are some titles on the list that have no business there since they are not even prison movies, and some excellent prison movies left off.

My favourite prison movie of all time may be Lock Up with Stallone, Brubaker is also excellent, The Great Escape would be in the mix for me, tough to pick a favourite. From the list maybe Scum as that really has stood the test of time, big fan of Shawshank and American History X even though the latter is certainly not a prison movie

There are several movies that I have included on the list which aren't set exclusively in prison (American Me, Chopper, American History X, Sleepers etc.) but where prison does have a significant enough effect on the stories/characters that I am personally happy to put them in the Prison Movie category ......... as previously posted, there are a maximum of 25 options open in the polls which will obviously result in some movies being excluded hence why I invited posters to mention their own personal choices which you have done in the form of Brubaker, Lock Up and The Great Escape all of which would have been included in the poll if it were possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Celda 211. (Cell 211) Spanish flick but well worth the subtitles. Everyone likes an easy time on their first day at a new job...............

Love prison flicks. Felon with val Kilmer was another I watched quite recently though was made in 2008 which I found surprisingly watchable.

If I lived in the USA I would be especially careful not to fall foul of the law as the prisons there all seem to all include a one way ticket to rapesville. Any real life documentaries or articles I've read don't seem to do anything to make me think otherwise. Horrifying but as a setting prisons can provide some excellent drama for films and books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Can't believe there are no votes for Escape from Alcatraz

e_e wrote: »
    You left out what's imo the best one of all, A Man Escaped

I'd put A Prophet up there too. The French really are great at their prison films, have yet to see this one too. :)

A Prophet was a great wee movie. It was great to see a young Craig Doyle getting his big break into movies as the lead character in that one too.

py2006 wrote: »
    Can't believe there are no votes for Escape from Alcatraz

The steps scene with clint and the black dude was memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest?! Different but still a prison none the less

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest?! Different but still a prison none the less

Well if that's the case then I put forward the Bridge over the River Kwai too. I would say the Japanese pow camps in ww2 would even make the worst of the U.S. Prisons seem like a holiday camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭droidman123

Lets go to prison (2007) its a comedy but a bit leftfield.theres some genuine laugh out loud moments.i would definitly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I always liked Lock Up with Stallone as well.

Needs an "Ernest goes to" option also ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

cool hand luke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Stalag 17? Inspired the denouement for Shawshank methinks....

Advertisement