Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo 5 - Guardians

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Cheesed him.

Found a ledge with some Carbines and just sat there sniping him till he died (again).

The amount of times on this Solo Legendary run, that I have thought 'ah i'm stuck, never gonna do this' and then get past it is a lot.

That's been my experience with most Halo campaigns solo on legendary, sometimes I just run past enemies too to try and force the checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I started the campaign last night. Very enjoyable so far however I am not liking all the CGI events in it. It kills the immersion. A good few of them they could have given players some element of control to experience it such as the Spartans sky diving into a zone.

Agreed, even that opening sequence where the Spartans look like something out of the avengers, killing easily and working in tandem to take down enemies, then you get control and the team mates are totally sh1te and you are getting one shotted by grunts.

The cutscenes fading to black mid sentence is very annoying.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's been my experience with most Halo campaigns solo on legendary, sometimes I just run past enemies too to try and force the checkpoint.

Never thought of doing that. I normally go backwards looking for more ammo, but I noticed in this that dropped weapons disappear as you move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    the team mates are totally sh1te and you are getting one shotted by grunts.

This is incredibly frustrating on solo legendary, they are bloody useless. No point in them being there whatsoever. Even if you give them power weapons they are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

maximoose wrote: »
    This is incredibly frustrating on solo legendary, they are bloody useless. No point in them being there whatsoever. Even if you give them power weapons they are brutal.

I sometimes forget that they are even there. Once I started telling them what to shoot at they performed a little bit better but do I really have to say shoot this and that every few seconds...

I say make the AI deadly and then balance your difficulty level from there rather than dumbing down the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

What is the Halo 5 multiplayer like compared to the Halo 3 multiplayer? I loved the Halo 3 multiplayer and was looking forward to Halo 4 when it was being released and it turned out to be a massive disappointment. I bought The Master Chief Collection last year, in hope that it would rekindle my love for Halo, but that turned out to be a disaster. I am in two minds whether to purchase Halo 5. What are the similarities/differences between the two games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I've only played about 6 hours id say but from what I can see it's really good. My only beefs with it is there aren't many levels yet and while they are designed really well from balancing perspective, you'd miss the fun of levels like high ground and last resort. It's all very much arenas, lots of different shades of navy! Could do with some trees! It really feels like you're playing Halo, but I was a fan of halo 4 so maybe you won't agree with that.

The new movements work really well, a great addition.

The ranking system seems to be the best yet although it's a bit early to call it.

I just hope they don't wait months to add levels and game modes, it's quite light on both at the moment ,but what's there is of real quality. I can't wait to play it again which says it all for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I've only played about 6 hours id say but from what I can see it's really good. My only beefs with it is there aren't many levels yet and while they are designed really well from balancing perspective, you'd miss the fun of levels like high ground and last resort. It's all very much arenas, lots of different shades of navy! Could do with some trees! It really feels like you're playing Halo, but I was a fan of halo 4 so maybe you won't agree with that.

The new movements work really well, a great addition.

The ranking system seems to be the best yet although it's a bit early to call it.

I just hope they don't wait months to add levels and game modes, it's quite light on both at the moment ,but what's there is of real quality. I can't wait to play it again which says it all for me really.

Theres a good lot of levels that arent in the "arena" playlist, if you pick the dedicated "slayer" or "breakout" playlist you'll see more of the maps available for those modes.

warzone only has 3 though, which is a bit of a pity alright.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would love if the Breakout maps were in regular Arena playlist, hate the breakout gametype but those maps could be great fun for CTF and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

So I got ranked in Arena about half an hour ago and my CSR is Diamond tier.
    I think a computer somewhere derped.

Unrelated note, ground pounds are difficult to pull off but oh so satisfying when you get it right. :D

There is no diamond ranking!

• Advertisement

Still unable to connect? Getting the lobby service error?

I am. Really pissed off.

What ISP are you with? UPC?

I finally got on lastnight

PM Virgin Media: Reps with your account number and ask them to turn DS-Lite off on your connection and enable Ipv4 only - that should do the trick!

Too bad it was in the middle of a service warning :pac:

Managed to get a few games of SWAT in (I'll never tire of that mode), seemed great! Hopefully get stuck in later tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hopefully get back into the online once I have the campaign done.

Still not really liking the game, hoping I get into the online and when I do I hope I still am not trying to move like a titan pilot (damn those 200+ hrs in Titanfall)

I've only done the first 2 missions still, been mainly playing the online (and still dipping in to Destiny on occassion). Hope they add some new playlists soon, already finding the current maps a bit repetitive, though the game itself is great. Feel like I'm getting the hang of it now too at last.

I was about to score the last flag to win a game and one of my team mates killed me to try steal it, of course he died and they went on to win. I forgot **** like this happens, had to put the controller down and take a few deep breaths!

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I was about to score the last flag to win a game and one of my team mates killed me to try steal it, of course he died and they went on to win. I forgot **** like this happens, had to put the controller down and take a few deep breaths!

Ugh, that crap drives me mad. i haven't been team killed for the sniper yet though. It's a regular occurence in MCC if I get to a power weapon first my own team mates kill me to try and get it.

At least the banning system seems to be pretty strict, going by reddit lots of people are getting banned for betraying/quitting/idling, though it also appears it applies to custom games so be careful!

That's good, i would've reported him but I didn't think to look at the name. Hopefully with a few tweaks the banning system puts an end to most of it.

If you kill someone by accident and they kill you in revenge you get to boot them

played a little bit more single player last night, did the first mission with master chief, seems pretty good so far, but lord help us, was there ever a less threatening sounding bunch of space marines than "fred" "kelly" and "linda"?

played a little bit more single player last night, did the first mission with master chief, seems pretty good so far, but lord help us, was there ever a less threatening sounding bunch of space marines than "fred" "kelly" and "linda"?
    I like to think they make up for it when they flip a Scorpion with their hands or beat an Elite into a bloody mush puddle.

It's easy to be good at your job of destruction with a name like Deathwhirlwind or The Destroyer. :D They have to put in a bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I finally got on lastnight

PM Virgin Media: Reps with your account number and ask them to turn DS-Lite off on your connection and enable Ipv4 only - that should do the trick!
    You absolute beaut. I wonder who to blame more, 343 or UPC. I'd lean towards the former, because IPv6 doesn't seem an unreasonable ask these days.

Glad you got sorted! I was ready to crack up haha

What way do these playlist ranks work? Onyx me bollix, give me old fashioned numbers please

• Advertisement

Glad you got sorted! I was ready to crack up haha

What way do these playlist ranks work? Onyx me bollix, give me old fashioned numbers please
    I'll give you from lowest to highest from last time I looked it up:
    Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, Onyx. I read somewhere they are planning on adding another rank to the top called Master but it could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ragbak

You absolute beaut. I wonder who to blame more, 343 or UPC. I'd lean towards the former, because IPv6 doesn't seem an unreasonable ask these days.

That is exactly the point, UPC does not offer actual IPv6, it is a bit of a mix and match of IPv4 and IPv6 and they call it DS-lite.

Interesting. It gave me onyx in swat after 10 games, of which I only won about 5.

Interesting. It gave me onyx in swat after 10 games, of which I only won about 5.
    From what I was told while your win/loss ratio is a factor, it is more based on your personal performance and that of your teammates.
    I don't know how that works maybe 343 are just trying to sound clever.

At least they made a good game even if their ranking system doesn't appear to make sense at first.
    I mean I should not be ranked as high as I am, still a noob as far as Halo 5 is concerned.

You can vote now for a gametype to be added to the weekend playlists, shotty snipers is ahead with 62%, I went for ctf but it's only at 28%. Strongholds makes up the difference.

I'll give you from lowest to highest from last time I looked it up:
    Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, Onyx. I read somewhere they are planning on adding another rank to the top called Master but it could be wrong.

There's already a rank above Onyx called champion and you have to be top 200 in the playlist to get it.

I was given platinum for everything apart from breakout (gold). You pretty much have to be winning consistently to rank up it seems so it's not too different from the 1 to 50 system in principle.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's already a rank above Onyx called champion and you have to be top 200 in the playlist to get it.

I was given platinum for everything apart from breakout (gold). You pretty much have to be winning consistently to rank up it seems so it's not too different from the 1 to 50 system in principle.
    Well at least they are consistent then. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the rest of it.

The one thing I have found with Halo 5 is I have started to work the thrusters into my tactics but I forget to work it into other peoples reactions.
    I was playing a game and my shields were down so I decided to scarper around a corner and got assassinated.
    I was like "Bloody lag no way he could have gotten behind me! Oh yeah the thrusters. Dammit."

I think the rank is reset every now and again, it does seem strange to give someone such a high rank after ten games when the ranking doesn't go down

Wasn't even particularly good in the games, 1.44 K/D overall! Seemed to play the same 3 maps over and over, needs a bit more variation.

• Advertisement

You can vote now for a gametype to be added to the weekend playlists, shotty snipers is ahead with 62%, I went for ctf but it's only at 28%. Strongholds makes up the difference.

where do you vote?

Advertisement