Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Divas" Wrestling thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It was Jim Ross calling that match wasn't it? I seem to remember him just laughing at the reaction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It was Jim Ross calling that match wasn't it? I seem to remember him just laughing at the reaction.
    Yeah, they had JR doing that PPV. Styles (who was on the Raw commentary team) was only brought out for the hardcore match between Edge and Foley I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

Maybe they turned on Trish because they just identified with Mickie in the storyline? Like they did the obsessed fan thing back with Sable and Tori, and that time the fan was the face and the wrestler the heel. I remember at the time people thought Trish would turn heel on Mickie rather than the other way round. But yeah she was just fantastically crazy. I'd forgotten just how good Mickie was. Jillian Hall as well. It's a huge shame she never got much of a push

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

I loved Jillian Hall! I thought I was the only one! Shame she was basically the female Heath Slater. I know most people hated the singer gimmick but I thought it was a hoot. Some of the men would have been thrilled with her heel heat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Maybe they turned on Trish because they just identified with Mickie in the storyline? Like they did the obsessed fan thing back with Sable and Tori, and that time the fan was the face and the wrestler the heel. I remember at the time people thought Trish would turn heel on Mickie rather than the other way round. But yeah she was just fantastically crazy. I'd forgotten just how good Mickie was. Jillian Hall as well. It's a huge shame she never got much of a push

And it also helped that she was a bat **** crazy girl next door sexy lesbian. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I loved Jillian Hall! I thought I was the only one! Shame she was basically the female Heath Slater. I know most people hated the singer gimmick but I thought it was a hoot. Some of the men would have been thrilled with her heel heat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I miss Vickie Guerrero, she was a constant heat magnet, one of the best heels of the past decade imo

Jillian was a lot better than she was given credit for. She had some great matches on Superstars with Gail Kim during her last year or so with the company. Too bad Judgement Day 2006 was her only PPV singles match

aaand it's the year 2007:

A Look Back At Divas On PPV - 2007
    http://www.lethalwow.com/2015/09/30/bobby-between-the-ropes-a-look-back-at-divas-on-ppv-2007/

Melina was quite underrated as a performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Melina was quite underrated as a performer.

Not by Melina!

• Advertisement

Hehe very true. Her ego would make Enzo Amore blush. Kayfabe anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I think long hair looks good alright, but these extensions just look ridiculous to me, half the time you cant even see the persons face

Wasn't the original purpose of long hair in wrestling to make the match more animated? Like say you get punched and you snap back your head, your hair snaps back aswell, creating a bigger illusion. With the state of the divas division a few years ago I would bet that wwe made a mandatory hair length for women to enhance their matches abit and make it look like more movement was occuring

Angron wrote: »
    Yeah, they had JR doing that PPV. Styles (who was on the Raw commentary team) was only brought out for the hardcore match between Edge and Foley I think.
    Which makes me wonder, is there anyone within the company who has been particularly better than any of the others at calling the womens' matches over the years, I know the obvious answer is Jim Ross but does anyone else jump out?

Michael Cole actually was pretty decent at it back in the day. There was one disastrous Torrie/Dawn match that he and Taz were trying their hardest to call and really sell the story to us

Matt Stryker was always really good, at least attempting to talk about the background of the match rather than gushing over their beauty or getting distracted.

So judging from the first bit of reports from the NXT tapings, we might have our next feud down
    Alexa Bliss interrupts Bayley's promo

They've worked together at house shows recently. Hopefully it'll be a fun program.

So what do you guys think is going to be the Divas Championship match at Hell In A Cell then? I'd love to see women in the cell but I'm sure we're a long way off from that day yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Has there been a divas cage match? I know we've had them on TNA

Lita and Victoria had a cage match on Raw in 2003ish. It was part of the the Raw Roulette episode. Wasn't a great match to be honest. They had maybe 5 minutes to work with and the cage element was barely used

Just when was said about having a divas match in a cell, I still don't really see the difference between a cell and a cage. If anything the cage would be worse since they can hit it with as simple a move as the Irish Whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Kayfabe-wise, a cowardly heel can escape the cage but they're going to be trapped inside the cell with no way of running from their opponent.

• Advertisement

Really impressive work between Naomi and Paige on this week's Main Event. Naomi is easily better as a face, she really did a nice job in this match. Paige is getting better at being a heel too. She at least acted like one in the ring this time.

Watching Impact for the first time in ages here. Brooke vs. Gail Kim was pretty entertaining. Are they actually going to have women fighting men as this thing goes forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Carmella has really grown on me ever since she started using Periscope with Bayley while they travel on the road (far more enjoyable than Total Divas rubbish). I think she can be more than a person that has a one liner catchphrase.

I think Carmella is great. She's gorgeous looking and she looks like she's enjoying what she does, as opposed to other women in the past who look like they just want to skip to celebrating.

I give Carmella props for improving her in-ring and finally nailing her character. I can get behind her now and would be happy to see her get a push

One of the main problems with Carmella's character at the start was that she was being made to look a heel in her singles matches but then she was part of a very over face team. So was confusing.

That plus the fact that her delivery on the mic was very forced and wooden and when you're standing next to Cass and Enzo it leaves you very exposed

A Look Back At Divas on PPV - 2008
    http://www.lethalwow.com/2015/10/28/bobby-between-the-ropes-a-look-back-at-divas-on-ppv-2008/

2008 was actually a pretty solid year as far as PPV matches go. I think we saw some of Mickie's best work while she was in her fourth title reign. That was also when Beth Phoenix and Michelle McCool really started to get good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I thought 2008 was pretty decent year for divas division. I enjoyed the angle between Santino and Maria over Playboy, Melina and Beth Phoenix had an incredible I Quit match at ONS PPV and who cannot forget Glamrella.

• Advertisement

Michelle McCool was a very underrated talent. I remember her getting a lot of stick at the time but once she turned heel i thought she was brilliant.

Maryse was another one I enjoyed watching. Still miss her now when you look at Eva Marie or Dana trying to do a similar gimmick and not quite mastering it

Advertisement