Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Trust Microwaves?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

lanomist wrote: »
    Once tried to heat a tin of beans without opening the tin. Blew the door off the microwave and showered the kitchen with beans and frightened the **** out of me . Never trusted one again.

Out of you and the microwave there you sound like the one not to be trusted!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the nuclear reaction created in microwaves can give you superpowers. im a prime example of its effects

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the nuclear reaction created in microwaves can give you superpowers. im a prime example of its effects

I read that too - it said you will be important if you are exposed to microwaves.

Turns out that was a typo. Now I can't get it up. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So your saying that if I keep standing near a microwave I'm going to end up like Superman or the blue guy from Watchmen?

So your saying that if I keep standing near a microwave I'm going to end up like Superman or the blue guy from Watchmen?

Superman doesn't have working genitals so in a way yes, you will end up like Superman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

A big angry bastard of a wasp flew into the work microwave during the summer so naturally I slammed the door and turned on full power.Within 3 seconds he dropped on the spinning plate thing and died.

A few weeks passed and encouraged by my success with the wasp,I enticed a bluebottle into the same microwave with some jam and repeated my cruel experiment.In fairness I began to feel sorry for him,buzzing around and going nuts before dying.The little bastard survived 50 seconds on full power.

The staff canteen stank of boiled bluebottle for the afternoon.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy in cooking times between wasps and bluebottles?

I don't know why but I feel I really want to find out the reason for the differance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

A women in America a few years ago got millions from a company after she tried to dry her pet poodle in the microwave. She claimed there was nothing in the user's manual that said she couldn't do it. Obviously the poor dog was toasted.

A women in America a few years ago got millions from a company after she tried to dry her pet poodle in the microwave. She claimed there was nothing in the user's manual that said she couldn't do it. Obviously the poor dog was toasted.

hmmm maybe there is a place for eugenics after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Back in 89 myself and a friend were home from school for lunch and thought we'd cook a few eggs in the micro. All seemed to have gone well and as we both sat down to watch Neighbours, simultaneously we stuck our spoons into the eggs and they exploded. Sitting room was like the car in Pulp Fiction after Jules shot Marvin in the face. Only egg colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

snoopy12 wrote: »
    Haven't had one for a few years and don't miss it. Mixture of trust, space and couldn't be bothered with one.

Yeah, were the same. The last one died. We were going to get another until we thought, the only thing we used it for was heating up beans.

Don't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

I trusted my microwave until I came home one evening to see it having it's buttons pressed by another man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Superman doesn't have working genitals so in a way yes, you will end up like Superman.

I wanna be the blue guy from Watchmen, my big swinging blue penis causing the Vietnamese to surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I worked in three different restaurant kitchens and the microwaves were hardly ever used except for reheating cups of coffee and the one time I tried to dry my wet jeans in it.
    I'm not allowed bylaw to have a microwave oven now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

My microwave is fine. But the toaster has been laughing at me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yeah, of course I trust them. They're harmless. It's the big waves you gotta watch out for.

Microwaves are big! It's the tiny ones you gotta watch out for. Those bastard gamma rays.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Microwaves are big! It's the tiny ones you gotta watch out for. Those bastard gamma rays.

in the middle of making a gamma oven. thinking of calling it a goven

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

if you create a poll , it might answer yay or nay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

We didn't have a microwave growing up, and all the places I've rented in since have had well dodgy ones. Like the way you wouldn't trust a bath in rented accommodation.

Maybe when I'm rich enough to have my own place, then I may be able to enjoy quickly heated food. A man can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

A big angry bastard of a wasp flew into the work microwave during the summer so naturally I slammed the door and turned on full power.Within 3 seconds he dropped on the spinning plate thing and died.

A few weeks passed and encouraged by my success with the wasp,I enticed a bluebottle into the same microwave with some jam and repeated my cruel experiment.In fairness I began to feel sorry for him,buzzing around and going nuts before dying.The little bastard survived 50 seconds on full power.

The staff canteen stank of boiled bluebottle for the afternoon.

Can anyone explain the discrepancy in cooking times between wasps and bluebottles?

Boards. Asking the questions that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I don't trust them. Them & their fancy ways. Defrosting & reheating food at ungodly speed at the touch of a button.:confused:

It's Witchcraft! Witchcraft I tell you!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I microwave spam because frankly I am an edgy, dangerous Bad-Arse type. Fcuk da po-lyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

put a mobile phone in your microwave and try to call it, if you can
    get a new microwave.

What a load of utter bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Now I think about it I can't remember ye last time I use the micro at home for anything other than heating beans or making butter spreadable. I use it the one in work all the time for reheating lunches.

I might take out the one at home and see if I miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

http://www.certifiedcoolness.com/en/coolnessinstitute/global-surveys/413-76-believe-in-the-microwaved-pet-lawsuit-in-the-usa.html

I'd be lost without one in both work and at home.

I usually cook lots of stuff and freeze it so I'm always using the microwave to reheat it for dinner (and defrost it if I forget to take it out of the freezer in the morning). Also used it to defrost uncooked meat if I forgot to take it out of the freezer. Even when I cook fresh dinner I often end up with stuff being cooked at different times so it needs reheating before eating.

Sometimes I have stuff for lunch again which needs reheating so need the one at work also.

Also vital for heating beans, making an egg if in a rush etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like most of the rest the country, we got a microwave in the late 80s/early 90s and didn't have a clue how to use it. After several awful and unsuccessful attempts to actually cook food in it, it took its place - as it does in most kitchens - as the magic food reheating machine.

I know several people who are still concerned about "radiation" from microwaves, and so still refuse to use it for anything more than a small amount of reheating, and opt to use their stoves for heating up stuff, like cavemen.

To be fair, I didn't bother having a microwave for years. Then I got utterly pissed off making popcorn the old fashioned way, so bought a microwave. I have since educated myself on the fact that it's not a "throw it in and turn it on full blast" oven, but that it is in fact possible to use it for more exotic things if you have a little patience and understand how it works.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I trust microwaves.
    I do not trust macro-waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Knee high to slightly overhead are fine. Anything smaller doesn't matter. Anything bigger I respect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

put a mobile phone in your microwave and try to call it, if you can
    get a new microwave.

Microwave energy is ~2.4Ghz, being able to ring a 0.9Ghz/1.8Ghz/2.1Ghz mobile phone inside one does not indicate its not shielding the correct frequencies

Being able to ping a laptop on 2.4Ghz wifi would be a bit more accurate.

• Advertisement

I have nothing against them per se - though I do not actually own one. Never seen the need.

Advertisement