Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Trust Microwaves?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I trust the microwave with cooking my porridge every morning.

I have mine attached to the wall so it can't escape and leave me having to use a saucepan to cook my breakfast.

I learned as a child that the dish ran away with the spoon, so I keep my appliances I use everyday attached to the wall, dare I get up and find the microwave has run away with the electric kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Also used it to defrost uncooked meat if I forgot to take it out of the freezer.

I only do this if I absolutely have to. Sometimes needs must, but I hate the way even on the defrost setting, the uncooked meat starts to cook around the outside whilst you're waiting for the centre to defrost. I find the meat is tougher once cooked than when defrosted in the fridge or at room temperature.

But I'd be lost without my microwave, though I don't ever attempt to cook things in it, except occasionally scrambled egg if I don't have time to do it on the hob. But it is a very handy applicance to have.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I only do this if I absolutely have to. Sometimes needs must, but I hate the way even on the defrost setting, the uncooked meat starts to cook around the outside whilst you're waiting for the centre to defrost. I find the meat is tougher once cooked than when defrosted in the fridge or at room temperature.

But I'd be lost without my microwave, though I don't ever attempt to cook things in it, except occasionally scrambled egg if I don't have time to do it on the hob. But it is a very handy applicance to have.

Yeah I agree on this, only do it if I've forgotten to leave something out for defrosting in the morning (though when the weather is cold and its a largish amount of meat sometimes the inside can still be a bit frozen even if the meat is on the work top all day) and would usually only do it for mince or diced beef etc where it doesn't make too much difference. I would pull of the mince as it defrosts sometimes also so that the outside isn't left in there cooking the entire time while the inside defrosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My mother put one of those gel packs you heat up like a hotwater bottle on for 10 minutes instead of 1 minute and it exploded leaving green goo all over the inside of the microwave. She thought she had to get a new one but it cleaned up OK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Use it mostly for porridge. On rare occasions I would do a potato in there, always turns out grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

No. Because when I use it to warm up my cup of tea.. Its always makes the tea incredibly hot. I knot it sounds stupid, but its like the tea is twice as hot as the water from the kettle. Takes ages to cool down. Scalded my mouth. Bad memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

No. Because when I use it to warm up my cup of tea.. Its always makes the tea incredibly hot. I knot it sounds stupid, but its like the tea is twice as hot as the water from the kettle. Takes ages to cool down. Scalded my mouth. Bad memories

Sorry if its already been posted but reminds me of water exploding when heated in the microwave, its rare but can happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I haven't trusted a microwave since I was 8 or 9 and it destroyed my colour changing hotwheels. I know you're supposed to use hot water, but when you're that age instructions are just guidelines to be pushed and tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Make scrambled eggs in it when in a hurry and even a little microwave chocolate cake when I need a small treat (only a minute or so using egg, flour, cocoa powder, vegetable oil!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Back in 89 myself and a friend were home from school for lunch and thought we'd cook a few eggs in the micro. All seemed to have gone well and as we both sat down to watch Neighbours, simultaneously we stuck our spoons into the eggs and they exploded. Sitting room was like the car in Pulp Fiction after Jules shot Marvin in the face. Only egg colour.

Did the egg-lava not scorch the head off you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

seamus wrote: »
    Like most of the rest the country, we got a microwave in the late 80s/early 90s and didn't have a clue how to use it. After several awful and unsuccessful attempts to actually cook food in it, it took its place - as it does in most kitchens - as the magic food reheating machine.

I know several people who are still concerned about "radiation" from microwaves, and so still refuse to use it for anything more than a small amount of reheating, and opt to use their stoves for heating up stuff, like cavemen.

To be fair, I didn't bother having a microwave for years. Then I got utterly pissed off making popcorn the old fashioned way, so bought a microwave. I have since educated myself on the fact that it's not a "throw it in and turn it on full blast" oven, but that it is in fact possible to use it for more exotic things if you have a little patience and understand how it works.

You went out and bought a microwave oven because you were sick of having to make a shitty junk food snack another way?

The profundity of that problem and solution is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

You went out and bought a microwave oven because you were sick of having to make a shitty junk food snack another way?

I doubt popcorn constitutes the majority of his diet, you sound more than a little hysterical. I imagine its a snack every now and then....

I'll do scrambled eggs in the morning with the microwave. There is no health risk and anyone who spouts bad science about "changing the molecular structure of your food" should be ignored with the rest of the woo merchants.

snoopy12 wrote: »
    Haven't had one for a few years and don't miss it. Mixture of trust, space and couldn't be bothered with one.

What don't you trust about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I always have that urge to put something like a CD or some other crap into a microwave and fire it up.

What would happen if you put a microwave within a microwave and turned both on.........

Homemade popcorn isn't a shítty junkfood snack. You need to watch portions but it's still good stuff. Even if you add a little melted butter, as butter is good for you.

Microwave popcorn is crappy enough due to the fakey butter added.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I always have that urge to put something like a CD or some other crap into a microwave and fire it up.

What would happen if you put a microwave within a microwave and turned both on.........

Micro-ception :O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Duggy747 wrote: »

You open the doorway to the underworld. Aka leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nothing wrong with popcorn. As snacks go, it's one of the better ones.

Anyway yes, it was one of the driving causes. That and having to dirty a pot to reheat yesterday's dinner.

Microwaves are cheap. It has since served me extremely well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Can't trust mine..........

It knows what I did to all manner of furry little critters. To pacify it and buy it's silence, I now have to clean a least once a fortnight. It's wearing thin now, might stick it in the REAL oven, see how it likes it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Nothing wrong with popcorn. As snacks go, it's one of the better ones.

Micro waved pop corn is rank. Make it from kernels on the hob. Much nicer.

• Advertisement

fizzypish wrote: »
    Done both, no difference IMO. In fact the hob stuff is greasier. MW stuff comes out nice and dry. And no washing up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Done both, no difference IMO. In fact the hob stuff is greasier. MW stuff comes out nice and dry. And no washing up afterwards.

I get an odd taste off the MW stuff. Too right about the cleaning though. Takes longer too.

The microwave stuff is junkier. Fake butter and other additives and whatnot. And agree with the above, microwaves pop tastes a bit strange and smells absolutely rank. Stove popcorn is as quick to make.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    The microwave stuff is junkier. Fake butter and other additives and whatnot. And agree with the above, microwaves pop tastes a bit strange and smells absolutely rank. Stove popcorn is as quick to make.
    Pah, you don't get it with butter, that's gross.

Kelkin popcorn. Cannae beat it.

There was a warning that microwave popcorn is a cancer risk. Something to do with the bag the popcorn is in and chemicals are released from the bag which sticks to your popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

RobertKK wrote: »
    There was a warning that microwave popcorn is a cancer risk. Something to do with the bag the popcorn is in and chemicals are released from the bag which sticks to your popcorn.

Every bloody thing is cancer risk.

fizzypish wrote: »
    RobertKK wrote: »
    jamesbere wrote: »
    Every bloody thing is cancer risk.

But you see microwave popcorn is rank, because you are eating more than just the popcorn...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What about air-popped popcorn? I love popcorn but I don't like the microwave stuff and I don't seem to be able to make the hob stuff properly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

kylith wrote: »
    What about air-popped popcorn? I love popcorn but I don't like the microwave stuff and I don't seem to be able to make the hob stuff properly.

The taste of the microwave popcorn depends alot on the brand that you buy and how long you leave it in the microwave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement