Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

recommended reasonable priced lidl/aldi wines

Options
  • 17-10-2015 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi folks just a quick one. I'm having a bit of a DOO in a few weeks and I looking at about getting less say 10 bottles of red and white wine. I'm trying to keep cost down of course so if I could get a decent bottle for €7 job done. Any recommendations please.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Is there such a thing as expensive lidl/aldi vino?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    [...] if I could get a decent bottle for €7 job done. Any recommendations please.
    I recommend you go to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

I would appreciate replies that only name wine that people have drank please.
    I'm aware all the wine in Aldi and Lidl is inexpensive but I don't want to get something that tastes awful.
    And the "go to France comment" is not much help either.

I'm sure ye both thought ye were helping tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Is there such a thing as expensive lidl/aldi vino?

Well what's expensive? There are bottles priced high teens to twenties so above average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I would appreciate replies that only name wine that people have drank please.
    I'm aware all the wine in Aldi and Lidl is inexpensive but I don't want to get something that tastes awful.
    And the "go to France comment" is not much help either.

I'm sure ye both thought ye were helping tho....

Not €7 but the Aldi Argentinian Malbec is great value at €8.79. I started drinking it after it was recommended by Tom Doorley.

After the big tax hikes on wine in the last couple of years it's hard to get drinkable 7 euro wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Zackdickensdog

Revero 4:99 in Tesco is very drinkable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Tesco are currently running a €7 wine deal with wines like Faustino and Sangre de Toro, both normally €11-12 going for €7.
    I think they have a new deal next week doing various wines for 6 for €50. I think a 5% discount also applies if you buy 6 bottles.

Lidl do a lovely Malbec but its around the €9 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Supberb red Aldi - Estevez Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenére. Around €7.50 if I remember correctly.

Toro Loco Reserve is also worth a punt, if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Aldi do a great Rioja for 8.99 I think, could be 7.99. Buy it all the time.

Hi folks that's all great replies keep them coming please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I'll second the Toro Loco Reserva for €7.99 in Aldi. Think it's a lovely wine and the price is an added bonus. Problem is they don't always have the Reserva.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

I really like the Vignobles Roussellet in Aldi- they do Pinot Noir and Malbec for about EUR8 Each. One of our household's favourite brands! Very good for a very cheap French wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Theres a wine in Aldi called Aldarra or close to that for about 5 or 6 euro. But another consideration would be Dunnes at the moment. Never shop there so dont know whats on offer but they have the buy so many and get 25% back on your clubcard and then also spend 50 and get 10 euro off next shop. Just a thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Conor Pope in the Irish times recently did an analysis of wine prices in Ireland and he reckoned that your standard €10 bottle contains 50c worth of wine. So debating the relative merits of wines in the €7-9 bracket is pretty irrelevant. If you can grab a loss leader you might squeeze an extra 20-30c out of it but beyond that, just get the one you think tastes the nicest and/or has the most attractive label.

Great stuff folks building up a nice list here. Keep them coming..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

First Up wrote: »
    Conor Pope in the Irish times recently did an analysis of wine prices in Ireland and he reckoned that your standard €10 bottle contains 50c worth of wine. So debating the relative merits of wines in the €7-9 bracket is pretty irrelevant. If you can grab a loss leader you might squeeze an extra 20-30c out of it but beyond that, just get the one you think tastes the nicest and/or has the most attractive label.

But there is nothing to say that there couldn't be a huge difference between one 50c bottle and another both in quality and style.

But there is nothing to say that there couldn't be a huge difference between one 50c bottle and another both in quality and style.

In theory, that's correct but "huge" is probably pushing it. You are simply not going to get decent quality at that price and if you drop to the €7/8 level I really would be nervous. The main problem with low end wines is the amount of chemicals used in their production. Typical €10 bottles here are the quality equivalent of a €2-€3 bottle in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can get decent quality wines in LIDL and ALDI from 6e - their 6e is the equivalent of a 10e bottle in any other outlet... Anything below 6e and I have found you are more likely to be unlucky than lucky in finding a nice bottle.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jluv wrote: »
    But another consideration would be Dunnes at the moment. Never shop there so dont know whats on offer but they have the buy so many and get 25% back on your clubcard and then also spend 50 and get 10 euro off next shop. Just a thought?

Yeah the offer is buy 6 bottles get 25% back in points, and €10 vouchers for each €50 you spend (must be used within 7 or 8 days though)

Some decent buys there but watch out for prices going up on some items just so they can say they're 'reduced' the next week.

Lindemans red / white 8.50 - basic but very drinkable. Available at this price most weeks

Stony Cape white 8.00 - sometimes on offer at €16.00!!! so they can say HALF PRICE when they reduce it :rolleyes: - at 8 quid is a good buy. Haven't tried their red.

Laurent Miquel Pere et Fils range - often available at €9. A nice Sauvingnon Blanc (white), and a Syrah (red) good with spicy food and a lot less bland than most cheaper reds (cabernets)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can get decent quality wines in LIDL and ALDI from 6e - their 6e is the equivalent of a 10e bottle in any other outlet... Anything below 6e and I have found you are more likely to be unlucky than lucky in finding a nice bottle.

It depends on your definition of quality but each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I always enjoy the Toscana wine in Aldi, afaik it is only 7/8 Euro. Also the lidl Chianti is very nice and drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Aldi - Andara Sauvignon Blanc, €6.49/ bottle. My go to wine every week, very easy drink, a really enjoyable wine!

Ps - I'm no wine expert, but I do like this one, and anyone I've ever served it too has liked it, never had a negative reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

This could be very subjective and I am by no means a connoisseur but I LOVE the Lidl Liebfraumilch white wine. It's on the sweet side so nearly too easy to drink but I actually think it could be closer to €5- worth a shot to see if you like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

6 Campo Viejo Reserva for €46.40 in tesco at the moment
    (its meant to be €50 - but they also give you 5% off)

Can't beat that for value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

what are the best 2 reds in aldi at present?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I'll second the Toro Loco Reserva for €7.99 in Aldi. Think it's a lovely wine and the price is an added bonus. Problem is they don't always have the Reserva.

yes but wasnt it the regular toro loco and not the reserva that won all those wards recently

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Second the Malbec in aldi. Also casillero del diablo from Tesco not too expensive. I rarely pay more than 10e for wine. My definition of decent is if it's drinkable and doesn't give you a massive hangover then it's good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Hi folks just a quick one. I'm having a bit of a DOO in a few weeks and I looking at about getting less say 10 bottles of red and white wine. I'm trying to keep cost down of course so if I could get a decent bottle for €7 job done. Any recommendations please.

Toro Loco in Aldi. Just look up the reviews. Nuff said.

Advertisement