Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommended reasonable priced lidl/aldi wines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am imbibing a Costieres de Nimes as we speak. Red just to say. Aldi about 7 euro.

Very nice and smooth too.

I love trying out the "cheap" wines anywhere I see them. Honestly, in France they drink it from the barrel straight from the vineyard, and I've done it too. I watch what the locals do. 1 euro a bottle is often fantastic, but that's not to say there aren't duds. But that can often come down to personal taste too.

Which is probably what we are doing with 6 euro excise and VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jose Maria

I'll second the Rioja from Aldi, Baron Amarillo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I am imbibing a Costieres de Nimes as we speak. Red just to say. Aldi about 7 euro.

Very nice and smooth too.

I love trying out the "cheap" wines anywhere I see them. Honestly, in France they drink it from the barrel straight from the vineyard, and I've done it too. I watch what the locals do. 1 euro a bottle is often fantastic, but that's not to say there aren't duds. But that can often come down to personal taste too.

Which is probably what we are doing with 6 euro excise and VAT.

€6 plus the importer, wholesaler and retail markups. Not much left for the wine in a €7 bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

First Up wrote: »
    €6 plus the importer, wholesaler and retail markups. Not much left for the wine in a €7 bottle.

I know, but the French get to drink it for a euro a bottle. As I've said, local wine producers over there sell it to restaurants and bars by the barrell. I've tasted many a local vineyard wine in its own area. Most are great, some are not, but as I said, that would probably be down to my taste, not the quality.

The locals know what to order, I often ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I know, but the French get to drink it for a euro a bottle. As I've said, local wine producers over there sell it to restaurants and bars by the barrell. I've tasted many a local vineyard wine in its own area. Most are great, some are not, but as I said, that would probably be down to my taste, not the quality.

The locals know what to order, I often ask them.

For sure "open" wine is great value in France and other wine producing countries but it is not made for export or longevity. The quarter or half litre included with your lunch in a Routier would be pretty vile by the time it emerged from a bottle shipped and sold here.

There are some unavoidable costs associated with moving wine from country to country; everybody takes their cut en route. I'm not begrudging them - just recognising that I am paying for all of them before I get to pay for the wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I'm a fan of the 2009 Chianti Classico available in Lidl at the mo, same brand as the 2012 which is in as part of their Italiamo range.

If any of you come across the Chateau Grand Abord from their recent french range it's very good for the price, but stocks are out in my local Lidls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Pata Negra 2007 in Aldi is lovely, costs about 7.99

However I was in Spain recently and they were selling the 2006 Pata Negra for 2.50 a bottle. Just shows you the amount of tax being piled on here.

I also like the Andarra red in Aldi for 5.39 and the Toro Loco Reserva. There is also an Australian red with a lizard on the label that is nice. Forget the name

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scartboy

I'm going wine shopping soon, so I collected all the recommendations given so far.

Interestingly, the spread was Aldi 9, Tesco 3, Dunnes 2 and Lidl trailing with 1.

For anyone who is interested, the recommendations were

Aldi
    Andara Sauvignon Blanc, €6.49
    Argentinian Malbec is great value at €8.79
    Baron Amarillo Rioja from Aldi
    Costieres de Nimes, Aldi about 7 euro
    Estevez Cabernet Sauvignon Carmenére. Around €7.50
    Pata Negra 2007 in Aldi is lovely, costs about 7.99
    Toro Loco Reserva in Aldi
    Toscana wine in Aldi, 7/8 Euro
    Vignobles Roussellet in Aldi - Pinot Noir and Malbec for about EUR8

Lidl
    2009 Chianti Classico available in Lidl

Dunnes
    Buy 6 bottles get 25% back in points, and €10 vouchers for each €50 you spend
    Laurent Miquel Pere et Fils range - often available at €9
    Lindemans red / white 8.50

Tesco
    6 Campo Viejo Reserva for €46.40, with 5% off as well
    Castillero del Diablo from Tesco not too expensive
    Revero €4.99 in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Not a great reflection on Lidl's range of good stuff compared with Aldi though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

Not a great reflection on Lidl's range of good stuff compared with Aldi though?!

Lidl do some great wines but you have to spend a "lidl" more.

Asking people to randomly tell you nice wines they had from a super market is pretty much a pointless exercise.

If you tell us what sort of wine you like and similar wine you have had in the past you enjoyed we can pin point exact bottles suitable at the right price.

The great thing about Aldi and for the most part lidl nearly all the wine they sell is "ok" the amount of vinegar for the price point is fairly low considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Toro Loco is now available in white. Picked up a bottled yesterday and will try it over next weekend some time. €5.99 so see if its ok.

Advertisement