Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billy Walsh quits ** SEE MOD WARNING #643 BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well they need to put forward that. But it was agreed and then they went back on it. That is all agreed

Et tu Brutas?

Michael defending his brother on Liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pac_man wrote: »
    So do people think Walsh should have sole responsibility on who participates on certain tournaments?

He should have input, but no way should one man yield that kind of power-influence.

• Advertisement

Surely as head he would be best placed- and not the IABA all picking their own club boxers???

His team would be involved too

Pac_man from my experiences yes I've seen it

efb wrote: »
    Pac_man from my experiences yes I've seen it

That'll do then. Well, doesn't seem to have done any harm, as we are quite successful on the boxing scene!

How do you define input. I'm sure he had input into his current arrangement but probably felt it was falling on deaf ears.

Input is having a say. Giving his views and his feedback in conjunction with the views and feedback from others.

• Advertisement

No the hand picked ones rarely did anything of note

And the expense of more talented but less well connected boxers

You know, maybe all this talk of picking boxers etc is just a smoke screen from what these issues are almost always about, money!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

walshb wrote: »
    You know, maybe all this talk of picking boxers etc is just a smoke screen from what these issues are almost always about, money!

Don't be daft. Walsh will get much, much more money in the US, and the ISC, who fund his position are in full agreement with Walsh.

Still nothing for the IABA but Michael Carruth spinning wildly for his brother on Liveline.

Don't be daft. Walsh will get much, much more money in the US.

And he's leaving the IABA, you do know that? You've actually backed up my belief. The U.S. package is a lot more attractive.

Strange post from you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

If its a case of being unhappy about not getting to pick his own team, what boxers do ye reckon Billy Walsh would not pick if he was given that power?

If this is the case (which I don't think it is to be honest), surely hes unhappy at having to pick certain boxers consistently?

As far as I know, the national championships determined who represented Ireland at major championships no?

Reading between the lines, does this insinuate that Billy Walsh doesn't like leaving it in the hands of IABA boxing judges to pretty much decide?

Lets not pretend there have not been a good few questionable decisions at the stadium over the course of a few championships.

price690 wrote: »
    Lets not pretend there have not been a good few questionable decisions at the stadium over the course of a few championships.

And that has happened since day 1 across boxing in all countries. That can never be eradicated. Most of the time the correct boxer gets the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And he's leaving the IABA, you do know that? You've actually backed up my belief. The U.S. package is a lot more attractive.

Strange post from you there.

Michael Carruth is that you? He stated he's turned down overtures and offers from the US and England for more money before. He's also cleary stated that the IABA have made it impossible for him to stay.

Walsh and the ISC, who fund his role, had agreed a deal only for the AIBA to refuse to even consider it! But by all means keep spinning it that he's leaving because of money.

Michael Carruth is that you? He stated he's turned down overtures and offers from the US and England for more money before. He's also cleary stated that the IABA have made it impossible for him to stay.

Walsh and the ISC, who fund his role, had agreed a deal only forr the AIBA to refuse to even consider it! But by all means keep spinning it that he's leaving because of money.

I didn't say that. I said it's a posible runner/belief. In these negotiations the money and package was a big thing, as well as the picking of boxers. Let's not be so naive to think that money is not an issue here. It's always an issue in these kind of wranglings.

I'm not in a position to name names

• Advertisement

Is Carruth well known to not like Walsh or what?

Which Carruth?

I think he means Michael.

I have never heard anything to suggest that they were on bad terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

politics in sport

holds everything back, no matter what the sport

Walshb:

Why you think that? Everyone agrees it's not about money

wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Doubt Carruth dislikes Walsh considering he called him a life long friend on liveline today.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Minister Michael Ring bleating on Drivetime about meetings. He met everybody except Billy Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is leading the RTE tv news! (quiet day)

slow wrote: »
    Minister Michael Ring bleating on Drivetime about meetings. He met everybody except Billy Walsh.

That minister was like the fooking duracell bunny. Couldn't shut him up. He wasn't talking, he was ranting. And the bloody ignorance of the man that he couldn't even refer to Walsh properly. Who d fcuk is Billy Welsh? And no, I don't wana hear how some people pronounce it that way. It's pure ignorance.

• Advertisement

That minister was like the fooking duracell bunny. Couldn't shut him up. He wasn't talking, he was ranting. And the bloody ignorance of the man that he couldn't even refer to Walsh properly. Who d fcuk is Billy Welsh? And no, I don't wana hear how some people pronounce it that way. It's pure ignorance.

He wanted to be seen being outraged about it more like. I'd say he couldn't give a toss.

Advertisement