Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Systems Development

Options
  • 06-10-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Got my place in Software Systems Development in WIT which I deferred for next year (2016).
    I just have a few questions about the course just to make sure I am making the right decision.

1) What programming languages do you learn?
    2) Whats the timetable like?
    3) How practical is the course as in are you in classrooms or computer labs more?
    4) Is there a computer lab dedicated to IT students?
    5) How did people find getting jobs afterwards as a developer/programmer?
    6) Do you do projects if so what kind?
    7) Is this course recognized by employers?
    8) Lecture quality?
    9) Would people recommend this course looking for pros and cons if anyone has any?
    10) Do the majority of who do the course actually like programming and all or do they put it down as a safety net? Like would there be many who drop out not doing any research into the course. I really like programming and hoping others in the course do for projects etc, as I want to make a portfolio during my time in college for employers like websites and apps.
    11) Lastly would anyone have any other advice or information that I did not mention that would help me out?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure this course is the right choice for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

J98 wrote: »
    Got my place in Software Systems Development in WIT which I deferred for next year (2016).
    I just have a few questions about the course just to make sure I am making the right decision.

3) How practical is the course as in are you in classrooms or computer labs more?
    8) Lecture quality?
    9) Would people recommend this course looking for pros and cons if anyone has any?
    10) Do the majority of who do the course actually like programming and all or do they put it down as a safety net? Like would there be many who drop out not doing any research into the course. I really like programming and hoping others in the course do for projects etc, as I want to make a portfolio during my time in college for employers like websites and apps.
    11) Lastly would anyone have any other advice or information that I did not mention that would help me out?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure this course is the right choice for me.

In second year.

1. So far its been java, html, javascript and jquery
    2. Its generated at random pretty much.
    3. Mostly classrooms.
    4. Nope.
    5. Don't know yet.
    6. Yes, programming based for java and web stuff. Text based for everything else.
    7. I would bloody hope so if I make it to third year. Its the same as any other level 7.
    8. Mostly ok. One I can think of wjo bores the arse off me and two that I want to scream at most of the time.
    9. If you like programming then yes.
    10. Can't speak to others reasoning but I was applying as a mature student for when I came home from oz. I pretty much flipped a coin to choose between ssd and it.
    11. BACK THINGS UP.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

SQL, Java (and the Android version), JavaScript, a bit of PHP (although this may be dropped now), HTML/CSS, Ruby on Rails.

Typically 4 full days and 1 half day.

Lots of lectures, but quite a few practical classes in the labs

There is a building with classrooms equipped with PC's for practical classes, used by a good few courses but IT based courses use it the most. These rooms are timetabled, so you may not always find a room you can work in if you are not timetabled there.

It's pretty easy if you do well and are willing to move out of Waterford. Getting something in Waterford is harder, but do-able.

Database backed web apps, Android apps, UI design, that sort of thing.

Absolutely

8) Lecture quality?

Generally good, with some exceptions

I would recommend it, if you like programming and see yourself working in IT.

There is a big drop-out rate in first year. Most people who stay do not hate programming. You will get an opportunity to create a decent portfolio from projects.

Study and use technologies that are not taught. Git / Github and a popular Javascript framework (Angular or React for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

It's pretty easy if you do well and are willing to move out of Waterford. Getting something in Waterford is harder, but do-able.

Thanks for your reply, are you happy you did this course? Also are you a computer programmer or something related at the moment just because I am hoping to become one after if I do this course and want to make sure this course will provide me with what I need to become a programmer I know I'll have to do a lot outside of college aswell to be a programmer.

Thanks for your reply, are you happy you did this course? Also are you a computer programmer or something related at the moment just because I am hoping to become one after if I do this course and want to make sure this course will provide me with what I need to become a programmer I know I'll have to do a lot outside of college aswell to be a programmer.

I am very happy I did the course. I did it as a mature student and it was the start of a career change for me. One of the better decisions in my life to be honest :-).

I actually started in the IT course, but moved to SSD after a year as I wanted to focus on coding more. I got a job after third year with a big name multi-national in Dublin, so I never did fourth year, but my class-mates that stayed on to do the honours degree have all got jobs as far as I know.

Working for a smaller company now, in Waterford, which suits me better. Like I said you may have relocate to get the initial experience, but after that there are some great opportunities out there.

The course (along with the flexible semester) will give you a good grounding, and prepare you to be a junior dev. No course can teach you everything you need to know for every job. In fact no one developer knows everything required for every job, not even close. Just learn what you can outside college, read books, blogs listen to podcasts etc. There is no end to learning in development as everything evolves so rapidly. You basically need to learn how to learn quickly.

Oh one other bit of advice - In third year there is a flexible semester where you are required to acquire work in a relevant position (usually an intern or junior dev role, can be paid or unpaid). You have to do three months to pass, or else you have to get profession certification in a relevant technology instead. Three things:

- Make sure you get a position somewhere, work for free if you have to. This experience is worth way more than any certification when you go onto the jobs market.

- Don't only do the three months, it falls after a summer holiday, so try and do six instead. You can then market yourself as having six months experience when you go looking for a job.

- Fond somewhere where you will actually be writing code, not performing some loosely defined 'IT' duties.

Best of luck with it, feel free to PM me for more info if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I am very happy I did the course. I did it as a mature student and it was the start of a career change for me. One of the better decisions in my life to be honest :-).

I actually started in the IT course, but moved to SSD after a year as I wanted to focus on coding more. I got a job after third year with a big name multi-national in Dublin, so I never did fourth year, but my class-mates that stayed on to do the honours degree have all got jobs as far as I know.

Working for a smaller company now, in Waterford, which suits me better. Like I said you may have relocate to get the initial experience, but after that there are some great opportunities out there.

The course (along with the flexible semester) will give you a good grounding, and prepare you to be a junior dev. No course can teach you everything you need to know for every job. In fact no one developer knows everything required for every job, not even close. Just learn what you can outside college, read books, blogs listen to podcasts etc. There is no end to learning in development as everything evolves so rapidly. You basically need to learn how to learn quickly.

Oh one other bit of advice - In third year there is a flexible semester where you are required to acquire work in a relevant position (usually an intern or junior dev role, can be paid or unpaid). You have to do three months to pass, or else you have to get profession certification in a relevant technology instead. Three things:

- Make sure you get a position somewhere, work for free if you have to. This experience is worth way more than any certification when you go onto the jobs market.

- Don't only do the three months, it falls after a summer holiday, so try and do six instead. You can then market yourself as having six months experience when you go looking for a job.

- Fond somewhere where you will actually be writing code, not performing some loosely defined 'IT' duties.

Best of luck with it, feel free to PM me for more info if you need it.

This is absolutely solid advice.

I did fourth year, but had some trouble finding a job as I left it until after the big rush as the end of the year.

• Advertisement

a fat guy wrote: »
    I did fourth year

How did you find the course yourself are you happy you did it? Did many people find it hard to get a job after it that you know of? Thanks.

How did you find the course yourself are you happy you did it? Did many people find it hard to get a job after it that you know of? Thanks.

Eh, they're all largely the same... Yeah, I'm glad I picked it over all the other courses. Ideally you'd want to go straight into a year of work to let yourself enjoy your youth before college, otherwise you'll spend the first year arsing around.

Multimedia - Arty stuff isn't what I want.
    IT - Not enough programming and employers will see this.
    Entertainment Systems - Definitely a great degree, but you'd want to be doing game development full-time afterwards. I didn't plan on that.
    Applied Computing - Meant to be the toughest course, but then you won't get a chance to enjoy your first year of college with the workload. Seriously, I needed to enjoy some "time off" before getting serious.

I'd accepted a job by the end of November and had been working with my father before that. Anyone who was looking found one fairly quickly (I wasn't too pushed at the time and wanted to relax a bit after the final project in fourth year).

Yeah, I'm glad I picked it over all the other courses.

Did you find WIT a good place to do the course? Does WIT offer much to students doing a computer course such as facilities for students like software lab anything like that? I heard they done a hackathon last year do they do these often do you know? Just trying to make sure I am making the right choice, Im going down to the open day so hopefully hear more then. Thanks very much.

Check out 'Computing at WIT' group, they are on LinkedIn and Facebook.

Check out 'Computing at WIT' group, they are on LinkedIn and Facebook.

Checked them on Facebook doesnt seem to be to much, what do they do?

• Advertisement

They started just after I left, but was under the impression they ran some hackathons, study groups, oss projects. Can't speak to it though as I was gone by that stage.

Did you find WIT a good place to do the course? Does WIT offer much to students doing a computer course such as facilities for students like software lab anything like that? I heard they done a hackathon last year do they do these often do you know? Just trying to make sure I am making the right choice, Im going down to the open day so hopefully hear more then. Thanks very much.

WIT largely just has the same issues as any other course, but I will say that a certain female lecturer is known for skipping entire semesters, using sick certs that a doctor gives her (Pretty sure they're engaged). She was still pulling this stunt two years after I'd had her, so she might still be there. If you go more than two weeks without her attending the class, then chances are that you've got her.

Another lecturer (Java dude) made up for it by giving us lectures after the semester was over. Can't name names here, but you know who it is.

Another big thing is that WIT has a building full of PCs for students to use. I'm going to UCD at the moment, and I don't think there's an equivalent anywhere. You actually need a laptop to do the coursework. Technically, you don't need one in WIT (But it'll be very difficult if you can't work on your assignments whenever you want). They may not be high quality rigs but they're better than (literally, in UCDs case) nothing.

Those are pretty much the only things that stands out as being different to me between WIT and UCD (so far).

a fat guy wrote:
    I'm going to UCD at the moment

Thanks very much for your reply, are you attending a masters at the moment in UCD? It's something I'd like to try do after this course in WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Howdy, only came across this post and though i'd give my two cents, I've only started this course this year, coming from a self taught programming background.

1) so far we have learned basic java, html5 and CSS.
    2) Timetable could be better we currently have a 2 and 4 hour gaps in our timetable twice a week.
    3) They lean more towards being in classrooms.
    4) Yes
    5) haven’t got that far yet: P
    6) We have done a few projects so far.
    7) Hope so
    8) Decent
    9) The course is nothing like I thought it would be, I thought it was going to be programming 80% of the time and rest in theory but there is a lot of theory instead of programming, I hope this will change as the years go on.

10) Can’t speak for others but if I’m not programming I’m sleeping :)

11) Study as much as you can, these semesters go extremely fast!

but I will say that a certain female lecturer is known for skipping entire semesters.
    If we are talking about the same person she has been replaced! Her replacement isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JimJamMiniMini

SQL, Java (and the Android version), JavaScript, a bit of PHP (although this may be dropped now), HTML/CSS, Ruby on Rails.

There is a building with classrooms equipped with PC's for practical classes, used by a good few courses but IT based courses use it the most. These rooms are timetabled, so you may not always find a room you can work in if you are not timetabled there.

Absolutely

8) Lecture quality?

There is a big drop-out rate in first year. Most people who stay do not hate programming. You will get an opportunity to create a decent portfolio from projects.

Study and use technologies that are not taught. Git / Github and a popular Javascript framework (Angular or React for example).

Is there more theory or programming on the course because i consider doing this course in 2016 :D

Is there more theory or programming on the course because i consider doing this course in 2016 :D

I have read good few threads and started two on this course cant be 100% sure as I haven't started yet but from what I have read and that, seems like a good lot of programming compared to the Information Technology course, was at the Open Day the other day and seems like a very good course good lot of programming modules I'd say it'll be fairly good course.

I have read good few threads and started two on this course cant be 100% sure as I haven't started yet but from what I have read and that, seems like a good lot of programming compared to the Information Technology course, was at the Open Day the other day and seems like a very good course good lot of programming modules I'd say it'll be fairly good course.

Do you know maybe if they do work experience in companys like microsoft? I know that applied computing students have work placements in microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

You really need to do your research on which IT course your going to choose. Its not as easy to walk straight into a job when you finish your degree. I personally found the IT course I completed in WIT to be outdated and out of touch with Industry .

To much theory should start alarm bells ringing . When it comes to writing code its all about hands on practical experience and practicing yourself most of the time with a certain amount of theory.

The drop out rates are massive in WIT when it comes to their IT courses. Some students are not cut out to be developers ,then other side of things the college should be asking themselves why is the drop out rate so high.

They will tell you what they want you to hear on the Open day as they are trying to sell you the course. Like I said do your research and you should be fine.

Fas run and excellent course for Developers starting out in the industry . it is very intense but my be wort checking out.
    http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk12wruxcZtLQqM8tuoafee6fXTK89BE5H+tyZK/DAOH+9dyB/KGKVCY+u+i+xN9u9B4AQ2AmW7oqPPY1I9NUbUpYTVAf3qHf5osH2ryzCfegHZeIAiaB7VY8rsJ1TtYrgjxR5JO9cdAzVHyvgBA5FdjYt8tKVLU+huXn4uXCX4A1AT1sF4QiPInliirIUS/rVwLzmW9oeIPVfmQAcEU7mEDJphCoCrBz3LFIWjjCwfTUAlA6JDOnROuUWUlLYUsx9YQuSzB7HHSgOscq+qRpz0/MI8GLQytSKTDGg3eYrGSCrk5GYZ4jIosnSLggG1f3nOARj9TM9MP0pYwKOdwQ0EUfugOEkwBplvZ/sv/qgHPKtzRI3X3k5z/d0dU0tdCfQMQCULUp3TcrZJaAt2uIAEbeFDjHgglX+O/Hsv5dg7iOZ5s+C+3NQtzswOVfRbdW092iTE7z23nTx

You really need to do your research on which IT course your going to choose. Its not as easy to walk straight into a job when you finish your degree. I personally found the IT course I completed in WIT to be outdated and out of touch with Industry .

To much theory should start alarm bells ringing . When it comes to writing code its all about hands on practical experience and practicing yourself most of the time with a certain amount of theory.

The drop out rates are massive in WIT when it comes to their IT courses. Some students are not cut out to be developers ,then other side of things the college should be asking themselves why is the drop out rate so high.

They will tell you what they want you to hear on the Open day as they are trying to sell you the course. Like I said do your research and you should be fine.

Fas run and excellent course for Developers starting out in the industry . it is very intense but my be wort checking out.
    http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk12wruxcZtLQqM8tuoafee6fXTK89BE5H+tyZK/DAOH+9dyB/KGKVCY+u+i+xN9u9B4AQ2AmW7oqPPY1I9NUbUpYTVAf3qHf5osH2ryzCfegHZeIAiaB7VY8rsJ1TtYrgjxR5JO9cdAzVHyvgBA5FdjYt8tKVLU+huXn4uXCX4A1AT1sF4QiPInliirIUS/rVwLzmW9oeIPVfmQAcEU7mEDJphCoCrBz3LFIWjjCwfTUAlA6JDOnROuUWUlLYUsx9YQuSzB7HHSgOscq+qRpz0/MI8GLQytSKTDGg3eYrGSCrk5GYZ4jIosnSLggG1f3nOARj9TM9MP0pYwKOdwQ0EUfugOEkwBplvZ/sv/qgHPKtzRI3X3k5z/d0dU0tdCfQMQCULUp3TcrZJaAt2uIAEbeFDjHgglX+O/Hsv5dg7iOZ5s+C+3NQtzswOVfRbdW092iTE7z23nTx

If you're talking about the actual Information Technology course then yeah, it's meant to be the worst of the lot. Seriously, if anyone reading this is considering doing the IT course, DON'T! It's the least programming-intensive course in WIT and employers know this.

Also, there is SOME practical (Java) work for the programming classes, but they aren't mandatory (They should be! It's how you learn!). It's kinda like the weekly Ruby ones I did for my first semester in UCD. They really drive home the point of the material and should definitely be weekly hand-ups for 30-40% of the module grade.

Thanks very much for your reply, are you attending a masters at the moment in UCD? It's something I'd like to try do after this course in WIT.

Yeah, this one:

https://www.cs.ucd.ie/PostgraduateProgrammes/MSc_Negotiated_Learning/

It's the only course where you get to pick all of your own modules. It's won awards and the like too, and so far it's been pretty damn good. Bear in mind that you shouldn't waste your credits on crappy or mismatched modules though. Like, don't do statistics with R for biologists and mix that up with a business-slanted module and something to do with distributed systems. Pick a main area and have a few divergents to fill out your credits once you're happy with the core modules you picked. It cost me €6,250 by the way, but it went up to €6,500 for next year.
    If we are talking about the same person she has been replaced! Her replacement isn't much better.

GOOD! She was awful and couldn't even do her job when she did make an appearance.

Could a graduate work as a Software Engineer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Do not rely on any I.T course in WIT to get you to a good standard in development. You will learn the basics but that's it.

Plenty of people (if not most) that graduate from the Software Development course graduate and still have no clue how to code - and it's the same with the other courses. The students who become decent developers aren't the one who did a specific course, it's the ones who are willing to learn and practice outside of college.

Don't forget that the college year is very short you only need 40% to pass each module so it's nearly impossible to fail unless you just can't be bothered to make an effort. If there's something you wanted to learn that they didn't cover in your course just sign up to an free online course/YouTube and you will learn just as much if not more in half the time.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Do not rely on any I.T course in WIT to get you to a good standard in development. You will learn the basics but that's it.

Plenty of people (if not most) that graduate from the Software Development course graduate and still have no clue how to code - and it's the same with the other courses. The students who become decent developers aren't the one who did a specific course, it's the ones who are willing to learn and practice outside of college.

Don't forget that the college year is very short you only need 40% to pass each module so it's nearly impossible to fail unless you just can't be bothered to make an effort. If there's something you wanted to learn that they didn't cover in your course just sign up to an free online course/YouTube and you will learn just as much if not more in half the time.

Yeah from what I heard its like that with any IT course, anyone who wants to be a developer needs to learn themselves, everything needed to learn a programming language is online. Going to college to be a developer is just good to have a formal degree and to know all the theory. From developers I have talked to a good lot wouldnt have a degree but I think it would make life a lot easier

Guys does anyone know maybe if a graduate of the Software Systems Development course could work as a Software Engineer ?

Absolutely

8) Lecture quality?

I got an email from WIT and they wrote that AngularJS framework is tought on the course so idk if wether you or they are correct.

Guys does anyone know maybe if a graduate of the Software Systems Development course could work as a Software Engineer ?

Yep, I did the course and was hired down in the arclabs. Not mentioning the company as I like my privacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

I got an email from WIT and they wrote that AngularJS framework is tought on the course so idk if wether you or they are correct.
    I'm pretty sure it was only added this year!

And could a graduate also work as a Java developer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

The amount of bull**** statements regarding IT courses is unreal.

With any IT course you will get back what you put in. Think of any course as a 4 year race to learn as many languages as possible with yourself being responsible for everything.

This bull**** asking can you be this or that. If you are a lazy **** you will amount to nothing on any course. If you put the effort in you will amount to something. If they dont include for example Python as part of the course there is absolutely nothing stopping YOU from learning python.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

With any IT course you will get back what you put in. Think of any course as a 4 year race to learn as many languages as possible with yourself being responsible for everything.

This bull**** asking can you be this or that. If you are a lazy **** you will amount to nothing on any course. If you put the effort in you will amount to something. If they dont include for example Python as part of the course there is absolutely nothing stopping YOU from learning python.

• Advertisement

In fairness Digital, these are largely people who have never done a college course before. They don't know how much self-study you should be doing in your four years at college. I know I sure didn't before first year started, so I don't see how it's bull**** to ask questions like that.

GENERALLY people who do software-oriented courses go into software development. The course tends to give students an idea of what kind of job they're mostly likely going into (multimedia -> design, IT -> admin role, etc), rather than tying them down into a role.

Sure, you can do any of the computer science courses and become whatever you want to be, within the grand scope of the course. A senior developer at a place I used to work for actually had an electrical engineering degree, if you want to get a grasp on just how far you can successfully push this "scope". Just as long as you don't do a farming course in order to become a solicitor, you should be fine folks!

Heck, I know a good few people from entertainment systems who just went into software development rather than game development. I know a few IT guys who also got into development too.

But I also know an IT guy who now works at a call centre and an entertainment systems guy who works at a McDonald's and had a kid while doing his degree (who only managed to get a 2.2). No prize for guessing who the screw ups in those classes were and who actually tried to get a decent result!

So with all that said, you can of course do whatever the hell you want with your degree, but if you're just going to go with the flow then you're gonna get the expected job for your course.

Put in the effort to take charge of your life instead and (with a little bit more effort) you'll end up wherever you want to be.

Advertisement