Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Here's a good one-apologies if this one has already been posted:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Those Apre Match parodies are bringing back memories,remember this TV license one?The original followed by the AM spoof.:)

Sure thats the guy who was in Molloy,rightly forgotten RTE "comedy" series from the late 80s.

And now for some of those short and not so sweet PSAs which lasted less than 30 seconds each:

"In the Glen Of Imaal,the military range lands are dangerous.Heed the warnings!!"

"Smoking in bed is a dangerous habit.Smoke your last one downstairs."

"It goes without saying.Protect yourself.Use a condom."
    (A silent Thom McGinty holding up a sign with those words,staring emotionlessly into the camera.He himself died of AIDS a short time later)

"Bees sting,mosquitoes bite.Antisan makes you feel alright".
    Aha!!

I'd forgotten about this one for Neighbourhood Watch.

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'd forgotten about this one for Neighbourhood Watch.

So had I,completely.
    Now remembering that last line "Don't leave it to the criminals",and remembering how that black leather glove at the end tryin to open the door used to freak me out a little bit.

• Advertisement

Q. What do you get when you cross Bonzo The Dog with The Financial Regulator??

A. ^^^^Exactly that!!

John did ya put the cat out?The sound qualitys not great on this,you have to turn your volume rightup.

Version with better sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

OMG that acting was hilariously bad :D

fricatus wrote: »
    -

- and another with some young mother from Dublin warning about the dangers of her daughter's nightie going up in flames. You had to look out on the label for IS 148 - "now I know that sounds like a robot!" :D
    Heres a question...
    If I remember correctly,the IS-148 code was only for nighties and not for pyjamas in general.So,was the message back then that girls were more likely to die in fires than boys?

I dunno if this came from the 80s or not,but does anybody remember an ad which just showed a wheelchair in a dark room all through the ad,and the morbid-sounding VO began with the line "This is Richard's new set of wheels"...??

• Advertisement

Brilliant!! Never seen that one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I dunno if this came from the 80s or not,but does anybody remember an ad which just showed a wheelchair in a dark room all through the ad,and the morbid-sounding VO began with the line "This is Richard's new set of wheels"...??

Yeah, I think I remember that one!

Good old Firehound turns up here."Never give fire a chance.Gruff ruff!"

Theres two short ones turn up towards the start here,for drink driving and smoking.

A couple of great compilations there.
    That smoking ad came out not too long after me oul fella died from smoking.
    Used to love firehound-always thought he was cuddly back then!

Anyone remember this?

Without boasting,I'm too young to remember it,but I think it's very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

In Ireland ya couldn't trust those condoms so no casual sex allowed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The Aussies didn't beat about the bush...

mansize wrote: »
    In Ireland ya couldn't trust those condoms so no casual sex allowed!!!

I cannot say enough times how much that ad,and every other AIDS ad back then,terrified the livin sheit outa me.They really were the terror of my childhood.
    Even films like "The Omen" and "Salem's Lot"(which we watched whenever our parents were out) didn't scare me at all compared to those commercials.

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    The Aussies didn't beat about the bush...

Might as well complete the set...
    A harrowing one from America followed by back to back spine-chillers from the UK

The scare tactic was the theme worldwide back then-twas the only way to get the message accross and ram it home.Ireland can be proud of its offering-a very powerful ad.
    And I think those type of ads should return-AIDS hasnt gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Might as well complete the set...
    A harrowing one from America followed by back to back spine-chillers from the UK

The scare tactic was the theme worldwide back then-twas the only way to get the message accross and ram it home.Ireland can be proud of its offering-a very powerful ad.
    And I think those type of ads should return-AIDS hasnt gone away.

It sure hasn't. With modern treatments it isn't the killer it was in the 80's but prevention is definitely better than cure.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Anyone remember this?

Without boasting,I'm too young to remember it,but I think it's very funny.

Ha ha,gives whole new meaning to the term "dogging".

I suppose the same could be said for other PSAs,e.g. fire,road deaths,water safety,safety in the home,health etc.etc.
    The ads we see nowadays are pretty tame and harmless.
    Bring back some tougher ads and who knows,they might make a difference and might make people think a little more.

I remember seeing a pretty hard ad on Northern Irish TV last week for farming safety,where the ad is going backwards,of a tractor reversing and knocking down and killing a child.Serious stuff.

Remember when we had a serious problem with smog here in Ireland towards the end of the 80s?
    Anyone remember the ads that came out at the time-one of them had an awful version of the Ghostbusters song called the Smogbusters.

"You might as well set a man trap."

"..... and to think he had only just come FROM the hospital."
    Does anybody else find that part a small bit funny,or am I just one sick individual?

Does anybody remember these ones:

"Firehound says...'Never give fire a chance,grr-ruff'"

"Where dya think yer goin?Have ya no sense?Ye'll get killed if ya carry on cyclin like that!"

"(sound of laughter and glasses clinking)Your party could quickly become.......(sound of a crash,followed by church bells) A funeral.DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE."
    Here it is.
    I'd forgotten how short it was.

The most memorable drink driving ad for me was the one with this drivers POV shot of a car speeding down a dark country road interspersed with someone loading and firing a shotgun.The end was the shotgun sliding along a bar counter and knocking off a load of glasses.Would have been late 70's,never came across it on YT.

Not sure if this has already been shown. Dave clearly didn't learn his lesson as there was a follow up ad where he was watching the 1994 World Cup with the same actor and the voice from the telly returns three years later to chide him for not paying his license.

Edit:I was posting about this ages back, forgot about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone remember one with a farmer lifting bales with a tractor, or something along those lines, and being warned that his work practices were dangerous? I just remember the line he shot back, presumably before being horribly maimed: "I don't give a damn!"

Advertisement