Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TCD students cheer islamist Asghar Bukhari and his defence of the Charlie Hebdo k

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Its definitely censorship by the institution

I don't see how?

If Trinity didn't book him, they would not be stopping the public from listening to him. They can listen to what he has to say at a different venue.

Similarly, if Richie Kavanagh wanted to headline Slane, and the organizers refused, they would not be censoring him or his music. They'd simply be saying "people can listen to your crap somewhere else, just not here".

No suppression of speech there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

As someone who was actually at the debate, allow me to say a two things.

1. Brendan O'Neill came across as a complete arse, and as the first speaker done nothing to endear the audience to the proposition. He was slimy and actually insulting. But rather than actually saying something and it being insulting, he was being insulting for the sake of it, because he could. To be honest, I would say that he turned quite a few against the motion.

2. Asghar Bukhari was not cheered when he was talking about the murders, rather Brendan O'Neill interrupted him a few times and he was shushed and shouted at for interrupting and "order" was shouted. And O'Neill took no points of order from anyone when he was making his speech, so should not have the audacity to expect his to be taken. Bukhari obviously was applauded at the end of his speech as courtesy dictates.

To even suggest that we cheered for the murders at Charlie Hebdo is ridiculous, and really shouldn't warrant a defence saying that we did not, O'Neill's column is nothing but oppourtinistic, reactionary tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

mdudy wrote: »
    As someone who was actually at the debate....
    Do you know if it was recorded by any chance?

Do you know if it was recorded by any chance?

As far as I'm aware, it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

I wondered what the deal with all the beard growing was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

1. Brendan O'Neill came across as a complete arse, and as the first speaker done nothing to endear the audience to the proposition. He was slimy and actually insulting. But rather than actually saying something and it being insulting, he was being insulting for the sake of it, because he could. To be honest, I would say that he turned quite a few against the motion.

2. Asghar Bukhari was not cheered when he was talking about the murders, rather Brendan O'Neill interrupted him a few times and he was shushed and shouted at for interrupting and "order" was shouted. And O'Neill took no points of order from anyone when he was making his speech, so should not have the audacity to expect his to be taken. Bukhari obviously was applauded at the end of his speech as courtesy dictates.

To even suggest that we cheered for the murders at Charlie Hebdo is ridiculous, and really shouldn't warrant a defence saying that we did not, O'Neill's column is nothing but oppourtinistic, reactionary tripe.

so what society hosted the debate?

The Phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

[quote="Bulbous Salutation;97245381Students tend to be a bunch of arseholes. This type of stuff isn't the type of thing that left-wing students would have appeased even 15 years ago when I was a student. It's disturbing, but you'd hope to put it down to most students being arseholes.[/quote]

Did you graduate from being an arsehole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

TCD students left-wing? I haff to laff. Ha. Ha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

Sorry but "it's obvious shurly" isn't an argument that establishes any more of a connection there.

I had already mentioned that they would be future politicians in a previous post. I have done more than state that it was obvious in the post you quoted. And your petty nitpicking adds nothing to the discussion. Nor does it detract from the strength of my argument.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Did you graduate from being an arsehole?

We are a bunch of arseholes to be fair. The ones who deny it are the biggest arseholes.

Did anyone actually shout "shame"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Nobblecock

Import billions of people from the scummiest, most backward countries in the world, they said.

It'll do Europe good, they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brian from bray returns

Nobblecock wrote: »
    Import billions of people from the scummiest, most backward countries in the world, they said.

It'll do Europe good, thay said.

I'll never vote for Fine Gael again.

I'll never vote for Fine Gael again.

What has that got to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

walshyn93 wrote: »
    We are a bunch of arseholes to be fair. The ones who deny it are the biggest arseholes.

Some students are idiots. So are some of their elders whose idiocy has far wider ranging implications. But many students are balanced young people and it's unfair to tar them with the same brush as the attention seeking baboons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Martial9 wrote: »
    TCD students cheer islamist Asghar Bukhari and his defence of the Charlie Hebdo killings in Paris

But the audience at last night’s debate was not part of any cynical, self-styled community group. They were young. They were mainly liberals. They were pretty cool. Some were painfully PC. And yet some of them — a significant chunk of them — cheered Bukhari’s explanation for the Charlie killers’ actions, and applauded his suggestion that my question must have been motivated by racism.
    During my speech, students had hollered ‘Shame! Shame!’ when I suggested that Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’ should not be banned on campuses. And yet they listened intently, with soft, understanding, patronising liberal smiles on their faces, as Bukhari implied that Charlie Hebdo brought its massacre on itself. This is how screwed-up the culture on Western campuses has become: I was jeered for suggesting we shouldn’t ban pop songs; Bukhari was cheered for suggesting journalists who mock Muhammad cannot be surprised if someone later blows their heads off.
    It provided a glimpse into the inhumanity of political correctness. The PC gang always claim they’re just being nice; it’s just ‘institutionalised politeness’, they say. Yet at Trinity last night I saw where today’s intolerance of offence and obsession with Safe Spacing minorities from difficult ideas can lead: to an agreeable nod of the head when it is suggested that it’s understandable when poor, victimised Muslims murder those who offended them.

I didn't think that we had this sort of bollocks festering here, bar a few head the balls. It is worrying that this sort of stuff is gaining traction in our universities.

Overly PC people are the antithesis of cool actually.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Overly PC people are the antithesis of cool actually.

No, the antithesis of cool is people who say "overly". You always imagine them in a doggy-smelling tweed jacket over a windowpane check Vyella shirt and buff cords, shaking their Irish Independent in rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ha I'm sure these people would give the same due time to a Christian group like the KKK. :P Shouting right on and all that.

• Advertisement

Of course, it all depends what they were cheering and applauding. If they were agreeing with statements about the brutality of the US invasions, of Guantanamo, etc, that's perfectly right.

Of course, it all depends what they were cheering and applauding. If they were agreeing with statements about the brutality of the US invasions, of Guantanamo, etc, that's perfectly right.

I would wager that the cheering was in relation to people killed due to casing offence. With some weird leaps in logic and mental gymnastics.

I would wager that the cheering was in relation to people killed due to casing offence. With some weird leaps in logic and mental gymnastics.

Perhaps. Let's see your bet on the table ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Really?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97253243&postcount=103

Nodin wrote: »

Ah right if someone with 40 odd post says its so it must be true. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Well, check the guys posting history - his claim checks out, he is definitely at TCD - and is far more credible than the bitter-hack O'Neill (with a known history of misrepresentation and spinning shít).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Five minutes researching Brendan O'Neill shows that he's not a serious journalist but a wind up merchant. This type of "journalism" is common in the US and getting traction in Europe. Willing to skew facts to serve the purpose of smearing those they disagree with.

Well, check the guys posting history - his claim checks out, he is definitely at TCD - and is far more credible than the bitter-hack O'Neill (with a known history of misrepresentation and spinning shít).

Asghar Bukhar needs spin ???? Really. He seems pretty bigoted and does the old personal attacks when his point is not accepted as gospel.

Asghar Bukhar needs spin ???? Really. He seems pretty bigoted and does the old personal attacks when his point is not accepted as gospel.

*creak

Oil those goal posts before you try moving them for jaysus sake.

Did you miss that we are talking about the Trinity student that posted here, vs O'Neill?

I don't care for Bukhar any more than I do for O'Neill.

*creak

Oil those goal posts before you try moving them for jaysus sake.

Ah right so the alleged cheering does not matter who it was at... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The 'alleged' cheering was bollocks/didn't-happen, printed by a discreditable hack - with an actual student who attended the debate, able to attest to that on-thread.

It's basically [/thread] as far as the contents of the article are concerned.

The 'alleged' cheering was bollocks/didn't-happen, printed by a discreditable hack - with an actual student who attended the debate, able to attest to that on-thread.

It's basically [/thread] as far as the contents of the article are concerned.

So one goes on one persons alleged attendance and can speak for everyone there that attended ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So none of this happened? Huh, OK.

Asghar Bukhari is still an apologist for totalitarian religio-fascists however as is anyone who tries to justify murder or the threat of murder for being critical of or "offending" islam or any other sinister cult.

So none of this happened? Huh, OK.

Asghar Bukhari is still an apologist for totalitarian religio-fascists however as is anyone who tries to justify murder or the threat of murder for being critical of or "offending" islam or any other sinister cult.

Apparently one person who attended this large event spoke for everyone that attended. Odd for AH to accept that kind of verification usually it's called out and further backup needed. But I can guess why. :pac:

So one goes on one persons alleged attendance and can speak for everyone there that attended ?

We're sorry and wish to apologise for reality intruding on your usual scheduled lefty bashing. Please ignore and carry on with "Waaaah!!!Da Muslams" at your earliest convience.

We're sorry and wish to apologise for reality intruding on your usual scheduled lefty bashing. Please ignore and carry on with "Waaaah!!!Da Muslams" at your earliest convience.

Think you are mixing me up with someone else. What's Da Muslams got to do with this ? You mean Islam ? And normally I get called a left supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Apparently one person who attended this large event spoke for everyone that attended. Odd for AH to accept that kind of verification usually it's called out and further backup needed. But I can guess why. :pac:
    You seem to be taking one person's word for what happened, while dismissing another person's account on the basis that it is given by one person.

When trying to decide who to believe about anything, it can be helpful to consider people's history and agendas.

You seem to be taking one person's word for what happened, while dismissing another person's account on the basis that it is given by one person.

When trying to decide who to believe about anything, it can be helpful to consider people's history and agendas.

I know Asghar Bukhari history and agenda yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I would have expected more than one poster to have been at the event, Boards is traditionally awash with TCD students and grads.

Not sure who I would believe though, the phil and TCD student political types (as all colleges) were a host of unbelievable **** who I could believe cheering something like this if it looked edgy, who's only positive to university experience for most students was stealing their events drinks.
    But that "journalist" is a bit of a troll.

I know Asghar Bukhari history and agenda yes.
    It's really tiring when you engage in wilful ignorance like this - it's been pointed out to you already that people were talking about what the student said, not anything Bukhari said, and you ignore that and keep pretending people are talking about Bukhari - stop nitpicking with nonsense like this, everybody can see right through it, because it's not even remotely skilfully concealed.

• Advertisement

It's really tiring when you engage in wilful ignorance like this - it's been pointed out to you already that people were talking about what the student said, not anything Bukhari said, and you ignore that and keep pretending people are talking about Bukhari - stop nitpicking with nonsense like this, everybody can see right through it, because it's not even remotely skilfully concealed.

Concealed what now ? I would have the same comments if they had hosted the grand dragon of the KKK and cheered him. Same if they hosted the WBC and cheered them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Something you can actually point to about the moral hypocrisy of the right on "left" (as opposed to the economic left), is that there doesn't appear to have been any protests about the likes of Bukhari talking whereas fringe/extremist right wing have attracted a sh+t storm when invited to speak at these events.
    Nick Griffin et al may be nasty people but compared to some of the Islamists they are puppies.

Don't the Phil usually post videos online of their debates? Where's this one?

They forgot this time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

De Muslims blew it up.

Hist & Phil can be a bit dimwitted. I was at a debate on 1916, and the (wildly popular) student speaker was dissing the signatories as antifeminists. I stood up and made a point of order that Thomas MacDonagh was an enthusiastic member of the Irish Women's Franchise League, and while they nodded politely, he went on with his diatribe as if it meant nothing to his point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

If Bukhari said some of the things that night that he has said in the past, they may well be seeking legal advice.

If Bukhari said some of the things that night that he has said in the past, they may well be seeking legal advice.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

• Advertisement

Yeah had that in mind just wanted clarification.

Advertisement