Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to Door sellers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The charities seem to be out in force these days too. I always tell them I'll donate on line - not at the door.

How is it that these guys always call when you are about to sit down to dinner, or some equally inconvenient time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

A few months ago a rep for electric ireland called and wanted us to change from our current provider.

I was pregnant at the time and exhausted but he was so pushy so i just said ok ill change.

He was there for about half an hour filling in paperwork and getting me all set up.

About an hour after he left, I just realised, our current provider already was electric ireland :)

I call bs on that one. If you filled in the paperwork and got "all set up" you would have needed a recent bill from your current provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I call bs on that one. If you filled in the paperwork and got "all set up" you would have needed a recent bill from your current provider.

He came in, filled out paperwork, told me i didnt need to do anything because i was adamant that i wasnt changing over if it meant any hassle or ringing around and he took the reading on the meter. He said id get a call from them for bank details because i told him i didnt have them on me. I think i originally told him we were with esb because i thought we were as we were with them in another place and i had babybrain. He said that he contacts the old provider to cancel but he didnt ask for an old bill.

its so weird that you would think that i would lie about that. Do you have trust issues :p

He came in, filled out paperwork, told me i didnt need to do anything because i was adamant that i wasnt changing over if it meant any hassle or ringing around and he took the reading on the meter. He said id get a call from them for bank details because i told him i didnt have them on me. I think i originally told him we were with esb because i thought we were as we were with them in another place and i had babybrain. He said that he contacts the old provider to cancel but he didnt ask for an old bill.

its so weird that you would think that i would lie about that. Do you have trust issues :p

I don't just think you lied - I am now totally convinced you made it up. I don't think it's weird to think that an anonymous poster on a message board would talk ****e, hoping to sound clever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I don't just think you lied - I am now totally convinced you made it up. I don't think it's weird to think that an anonymous poster on a message board would talk ****e, hoping to sound clever

Okay! I really made myself sound clever by waisting my own time and the sales guy. Actually im starting to wonder if you are that sales rep and your still pissed about it? :p

Calm down though. If you dont want to believe it, you dont have to but i dont appreciate being called a liar by an anonymous poster on a message board who has nothing better to do.

• Advertisement

Okay! I really made myself sound clever by waisting my own time and the sales guy.

Calm down though. If you dont want to believe it, you dont have to but i dont appreciate being called a liar by an anonymous poster on a message board who has nothing better to do.
    Relax, I apologise if I offended you but your story makes no sense at all. I presume the baby has been born and you're a busy mum... fair play for having the time to get offended by me "who has nothing better to do" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Relax, I apologise if I offended you but your story makes no sense at all. I presume the baby has been born and you're a busy mum... fair play for having the time to get offended by me "who has nothing better to do" LOL

You must be a very annoying person to be around.

I see you edited your post to make yourself sound even more clever replying to someone that has nothing better to do. You sure have lots of time on your hands for someone with a new baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Ruu wrote: »
    Don't answer the door.

but, but, that's no fun!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just get rid of your doorbell, most people have no need for one in this day & age.

Then you don't have to deal with these disrespectful cunts who know fine well their job is amongst the most anti-socia and objectionable job possible.

I can't think of any other job that tops it, most others people traditionally hate are a necessary evil, e.g. traffic wardens, clampers etc.

But you will hear them trotting out the line of "only doing my job". The job should not exist, you're a cunt for taking up such a job and many people think it should be illegal. I would prefer to see people on the dole rather than further encouraging this practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Its a shame that the moderator above feels it is justified to use abusive language when describing people doing a job. It certainly can be very annoying for some people to experience cold calling salesman, but to call them what you did is unacceptable in my opinion. I would much rather someone tried to make a living on their own two feet selling legitimately than sitting on their ass claiming welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Quiet honestly, if what you said is true regarding your tactics in conning people into signing up.
    Then your a (fill in the negative adjectives here).

You're the reason I never entertain people on the door and set my rabid kids on them if don't understand the NO word.:)

Quiet honestly, if what you said is true regarding your tactics in conning people into signing up.
    Then your a (fill in the negative adjectives here).

You're the reason I never entertain people on the door and set my rabid kids on them if don't understand the NO word.:)

I never conned them. I employed intelligent marketing techniques to bypass their prejudiced response to someone knocking at the door, just like every ad agency on the planet. Unless there is an actual notice stating they have withdrawn their implied rights of access, then I will knock on it.

Almost every single time I would be thanked, hand shook, offered a cup of tea, offered an apology for their initial response as they opened the door with the householder AFTER providing me with a copy of their bill, their bank details, date of birth, email and being under no illusion that they were changing suppliers.

Its easy for the internet warriors to post up about what would happen if it was their door, but really its just a lot of nonsense. If someone actually treats another human in the way these posters try and portray, I don't think its the guy knocking the door that has the problem. Its not that easy to be overtly nasty to someone who is smiling and is very polite to you even when you're being abusive to them.

The iron curtain in front of a door knocker is usually dropped after they realise the door knocker is polite, courteous and genuinely friendly. I know there are a lot of absolutely useless sales guys out there and they are very rude and its probably not surprising considering the abuse that they receive on a daily basis, but the iron curtain only provides protection against inexperienced door knockers.

Its easy for people to sit there and crucify these agents as if they are the worst scum on earth, yet you don't know about the things we have done for people. I personally have fixed thousands of computer problems for people, installed drivers for printers, scanners, removed viruses, helped people fix their tv boxes, moved heavy objects about their house. I've sat with individual pensioners who have been delighted to see me, I phoned their family to seek permission that switching them over was OK and then stayed for a while afterwards chatting to them about whatever they wanted to. Why? Because I was one of the few people they would speak to each week, if there even was anyone else at all. There are so many lonely people out there existing in the world and it all goes on behind closed doors. Did I get paid for doing this extra stuff? Of course not, it would cost me money because I wasnt out signing up next door, but the personal rewards were immense and it helped me maintain my own personal armour if I did come across someone extremely abusive that i wasnt able to flip to the good side.

Say whatever you want, but when you leave a house and the old person looks you straight in the eyes, smiling, and touches your arm and thanks you for calling and helping them, it makes the rest of my day go by very easily.

You admitted to misleading them to gain access to their house. Whatever the outcome the tactics employed are what makes me even more resolute in not giving time to door agents.

Granted they're doing a job and being polite costs me nothing but I'm quiet capable of researching the best deal online and switching.

Underhand tactics are no justification for a sale.
    Please knock on my door..... PLEASE.:)

send me your address then. You really need informed if you think the current batch of "Online exclusive" deals are the best options financially. Thats another marketing scheme right there for you, but you accept that because it seems logical. You think Bonkers and Switcher dont get paid when you go through their portal?

send me your address then. You really need informed if you think the current batch of "Online exclusive" deals are the best options financially. Thats another marketing scheme right there for you, but you accept that because it seems logical. You think Bonkers and Switcher dont get paid when you go through their portal?

No I believe they are a charity just like you are :)

Its a shame that the moderator above feels it is justified to use abusive language when describing people doing a job.
    It is only this job, I would also put chunts in the same category as this job, no other legal job comes close to being so objectionable.

I cannot think of any other job where I have seen people saying they thought it should be illegal -can anybody?

Maybe there are some but are probably along the same lines as this.
    I would much rather someone tried to make a living on their own two feet selling legitimately than sitting on their ass claiming welfare.
    As I already said, I certainly would prefer to see them claiming welfare. I think it should be illegal and think anyone involved is taking advantage of the lax laws. In several places in the UK it was made illegal. This "I'm only doing a job" pathetic line is a cringeworthy cop out.

rubadub wrote: »
    It is only this job, I would also put chunts in the same category as this job, no other legal job comes close to being so objectionable.

I cannot think of any other job where I have seen people saying they thought it should be illegal -can anybody?

Maybe there are some but are probably along the same lines as this.

As I already said, I certainly would prefer to see them claiming welfare. I think it should be illegal and think anyone involved is taking advantage of the lax laws. In several places in the UK it was made illegal. This "I'm only doing a job" pathetic line is a cringeworthy cop out.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I still do not think its acceptable for anyone, let alone a moderator, to use foul language in the manner that you have.

I make no apologies for the job I spent 12 years doing, I enjoyed it and often when people were thanking me for providing the service I did, they would ask "This seems like an awfully difficult job to do, you must put up with some amount of grief?" and when i said "Not really, thats not been my experience" they would be incredulous.

I think the growth of the internet has made people become more cynical and provides a platform for people to moan, then people feel its OK to be more horrible to others as they may be mislead into thinking everyone hates something.

I've not lost hope for you though rubadub, hopefully one day you come across a door knocker who is able to impress you and you don't treat them all with such contempt.

hopefully one day you come across a door knocker who is able to impress you and you don't treat them all with such contempt.
    I got rid of my door knocker years ago .just use a bell now :)

• Advertisement

they would ask "This seems like an awfully difficult job to do, you must put up with some amount of grief?"
    yes, because it is common knowledge that so many people find it highly objectionable, and presume you must come across lots of abuse as you intrude on people's property.

Truth is many people are polite, as you have found out. So while many of these people might be fucking livid that some intrusive money grabber has had the gall to interrupt their dinner or changing their baby, they do not openly tell you what they would really like to -maybe they hope you have got enough deserved abuse already. I think this is the real shame as it just encourages more to take up this disgusting practice.

Some say just be polite, and what is the use in being rude, yet they would not politely ask an uninvited dog to leave their garden who was taking a shit on it. They want the dog or "person just doing their job" to know it is totally unacceptable, and not want to encourage it.

I think the growth of the internet has made people become more cynical and provides a platform for people to moan, then people feel its OK to be more horrible to others
    +1, I think its great that people can now realise how many people feel about their actions, and not just wander off saying "well he was polite" as the person is left inside their home fuming, who may not have the confidence to berate you. Many might be in fear of possible repercussions, lets face it, they may think if you have taken up a job like this you could well be a nasty piece of work with no morals or respect for people.
    I've not lost hope for you though rubadub, hopefully one day you come across a door knocker who is able to impress you and you don't treat them all with such contempt.
    I have no door bell so thankfully never have to deal with them. I would hope it is made illegal sometime. Even though I am not bothered much as I do not answer I despise the fact that these money grabbing scumbags give burglars a perfect alibi to be sketching out my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Get 4 leaflets very week, local pizza,chinese takeaway shops,
    then maybe once a month,
    do you wanna switch over gas/phone/broadband service .
    I never see anyone selling anything.

yes, because it is common knowledge that so many people find it highly objectionable, and presume you must come across lots of abuse as you intrude on people's property.

Truth is many people are polite, as you have found out. So while many of these people might be fucking livid that some intrusive money grabber has had the gall to interrupt their dinner or changing their baby, they do not openly tell you what they would really like to -maybe they hope you have got enough deserved abuse already. I think this is the real shame as it just encourages more to take up this disgusting practice.

Some say just be polite, and what is the use in being rude, yet they would not politely ask an uninvited dog to leave their garden who was taking a shit on it. They want the dog or "person just doing their job" to know it is totally unacceptable, and not want to encourage it.

+1, I think its great that people can now realise how many people feel about their actions, and not just wander off saying "well he was polite" as the person is left inside their home fuming, who may not have the confidence to berate you. Many might be in fear of possible repercussions, lets face it, they may think if you have taken up a job like this you could well be a nasty piece of work with no morals or respect for people.

I have no door bell so thankfully never have to deal with them. I would hope it is made illegal sometime. Even though I am not bothered much as I do not answer I despise the fact that these money grabbing scumbags give burglars a perfect alibi to be sketching out my house.

I do not understand your fixation about an actual doorbell. I would also have chapped a letterbox or the door itself if there was no bell. Loads of times the bell doesnt work, or the house is so big you cant hear the bell ringing from the front door and resort to knocking. I carried a heavy duty Maglite so I could knock hard enough to be heard, my knuckles could only put up with so much abuse!

"Money grabbing scumbags, *****...." You really ought to have a word with yourself over the manner in which you are posting, its quite pathetic and certainly more of an indication about yourself than anyone out trying to earn a living and make their way in the world. The skills people can learn from their experiences doing door to door sales can make them perform much better in other jobs in the future.

Anyway Ive said enough on the subject. Peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I used to get these a lot. I always answer the door after a neighbour very proudly told me he used to about houses to rob by pretending to sell stuff.

He said they knock, if no one answers trey presume your out and use that to help decide which house to go for. I moved pretty soon after that!

I still get "Is mam or dad home?" Quite a lot. It's a pain in the arse explaining I live alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I do not understand your fixation about an actual doorbell. I would also have chapped a letterbox or the door itself if there was no bell. Loads of times the bell doesnt work, or the house is so big you cant hear the bell ringing from the front door and resort to knocking. I carried a heavy duty Maglite so I could knock hard enough to be heard, my knuckles could only put up with so much abuse!

Which I am sure was also very useful for knocking people out if they didn't let you in. Were you by any chance also wearing black clothes and a pair of tights over your head?

I thankfully have never had some cunt bang on my door with a fucking heavy duty maglite or anything like it. That is the most obnoxious and intrusive thing I have heard yet from you, and you had some previously vile comments and terminology. Describing people as "targets" and showing utter disrepect for their wishes. Reading them again I hope you are just a troll. No doubt that maglite is really for protection, like bouncers or the gardai may have them, sounds like you might need it, especially if you damage any doors.

. I spent 12 years knocking on domestic doors selling energy, I would look forward to the people who put signs up about no cold calling etc, I enjoyed the challenge. I especially enjoyed irritating the clowns that had signs up and opened their door and pointed at said sign with their hands on their hips. I would totally ignore their gestures to look at the sign or reply to their "Cant you read?" remarks. Its I who knocked at the door and I'm in control, not the householder.
    And you say I need to have a word with myself! sweet jesus :rolleyes: we have a thoroughbred one right here. Nasty piece of work.

Peace out.
    oh the irony...

I thankfully have never had some cunt bang on my door with a fucking heavy duty maglite. That is the most obnoxious and intrusive thing I have heard yet from you, and you had some previously vile comments and terminology. Describing people as "targets" and showing utter disrepect for their wishes. Reading them again I hope you are just a troll. No doubt that maglite is really for protection, like bouncers or the gardai may have them, sounds like you might need it, especially if you damage any doors.

And you say I need to have a word with myself! sweet jesus :rolleyes: we have a thoroughbred one right here.

oh the irony...
    We know what to do next time we see a make "knocking" on our doors with a maglite.

I'll be taking out my UN issued Maglite to do some knocking :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Something relevant that hasnt been mentioned is the recent large scale cultural change in work hours.

While in the 80's you could be reasonably sure you were calling on 9-5 workers, today that has changed.

So door sales ppl very likely call on a high number of people who have to be up for their work shift in 3 hours.

In a 24 hr economy/society this must be considered as socially unacceptable as calling to someones door at 5am on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

TireeTerror is just a bully.

The best way to deal with a bully is do what Ray Winstone did in Scum.

Two snooker balls in a sock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

TireeTerror is just a bully.

The best way to deal with a bully is do what Ray Winstone did in Scum.

Two snooker balls in a sock.

No he is not. He is a gentleman dont you know. Drinks a lot of tea apparently.

Advertisement