Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to Door sellers

Options
  • 02-10-2015 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

I live in a cul de sac and i get everyone and anyone trying to sell me things at the door. From Knifes, ESB, Sofas, Will i power wash your house and so on

I Just had a guy trying to give him money for a deformed Baby he was looking for cash and showed me a big photo of the baby. I was no i am ok i don't have money on me and i could not close the door on him at all !!!.

So what do you do when they try and sell you something ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Release the hounds :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Pleased to say that this has literally never happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

You should have bought the deformed baby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

no sales sign on your door, if they call just point.

i have one for sale pm for details.

great bargain. 10% off just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Got Jehovahs trying to sell me Jebus once but that's all.

Deformed baby, lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

If they come trying to sell me any crap I just ask them have they heard the good news ? about Christ dying for us all etc..

It soon gets rid off them pretty swiftly..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Pain in the Arse sometimes I feel sorry for them, other times I'm busy and I say sorry not interested and close the door. Had a fella trying to sell family portraits I was trying to be kind and let him show what he was selling for 5 minutes at the I told him great work but not interested at the moment but would keep him in mind. He grabbed the photos and went off in a huff so maybe they prefer the quick no thanks so they can move on to the next house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I always just put on a really sad and worried face and say "now is not a good time, sorry", that usually gets them apologising and back-peddling as quick as they arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

anna080 wrote: »
    I always just put on a really sad and worried face and say "now is not a good time, sorry", that usually gets them apologising and back-peddling as quick as they arrived.

I bet you it wouldn't work on travellers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

I don't answer my door to anyone. If they want me they can ring my phone or knock on the window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Are you sure it wasn't a spider baby? The body of a baby but the mind of a spider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Oddly OP, I too live in the end of a cul de sac and have just had somebody at my door trying to sell me something. It was a guy trying to get business for a new milk round, but he was sound and not at all pushy. I think I might be you from a parallel universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Make up your own notice like I did.

It works a treat.

Make sure to laminate it to if your sticking it to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Easiest thing to do, as their talking casually drop your pants, they'll just leave then and never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Archeron wrote: »
    Oddly OP, I too live in the end of a cul de sac and have just had somebody at my door trying to sell me something. It was a guy trying to get business for a new milk round, but he was sound and not at all pushy. I think I might be you from a parallel universe.

To be fair i wouldint mind a milk round at my house at all saves me the time of carrying milk home. How was his prices LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

If it really was a benifit to you they wouldn't be looking for you, you would have to look for them, never buy nothing or sign up for anything at the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Both my brother and my oh have both terrorised two different sets of Jehovah's so I leave them to answering unwanted callers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

A few months ago a rep for electric ireland called and wanted us to change from our current provider.

I was pregnant at the time and exhausted but he was so pushy so i just said ok ill change.

He was there for about half an hour filling in paperwork and getting me all set up.

About an hour after he left, I just realised, our current provider already was electric ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ask them 'how did you get past the dog?' with a look of surprise on your face and watch the blood drain from their face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Millions of people buy at the door every day. Its the number one most effective way to peddle a product. I spent 12 years knocking on domestic doors selling energy, I would look forward to the people who put signs up about no cold calling etc, I enjoyed the challenge. I especially enjoyed irritating the clowns that had signs up and opened their door and pointed at said sign with their hands on their hips. I would totally ignore their gestures to look at the sign or reply to their "Cant you read?" remarks. Its I who knocked at the door and I'm in control, not the householder.

I would then in the most polite way possible apologise for disturbing them, but that I was looking for (insert whatever their house name or number was, but then add a variant like 23B) and of course they would then look puzzled and inform me that there was no such variant at that address. They would then elaborate saying the neighbour on the right was number 21 and that side was number 25, that they are 23 but not 23B. I would then look really confused and be consulting my electronic tablet as if to check something and ask "Whats your surname?" and when they told me I would confirm thats what name I had been given. I would then bring out my meter key and say "I will just check the meter serial number as I need to make sure Im talking with the right person due to Data Protection regulations" and they would either show me to the meter or invite me in if it was inside the house. If I was outside checking it I would then say, hmmmm this is odd, it appears to be the right meter, its just the address mismatch thats confusing me, I guess the only way to check this is to check the MPRN, I dont suppose you know your MPRN off the top of your head do you?" and of course they didnt. I would then glance at my watch, the watch I only ever wore to work so that I could do this. I normally use my phone for telling the time. I would then screw up my face and then exacerbate "Do me a favour will you, the networks print the MPRN on the corner of the bill, Im really pushed for time here as Ive got a long list of tariffs to correct today, so if you can be as quick as you can." and they would say "ooh whats this all about???" and I would say "Look Id rather not say anything until Ive confirmed Im speaking to the right person" at which point I would look up and down the street and check behind me and then say "Listen its a personal matter to do with your account, Id rather not talk about your private business in the street, as long as youre quick, give me two minutes and I will pop in and explain it to you ok". I would then start to wipe my feet on the door mat and they would literally just step aside and invite me in. Most times they would even look past me and see if anybody could have overheard and they were glad to have you in the house talking in private.

That general members of the public, is how I dealt with people at the door that tried to object for no reason at all. Most people have no real idea what theyre saying no to, so the "If we wanted it we would get it ourselves" doesnt wash with me. I personally would have preferred not to have had to employ such tactics, but in reality it was this that made me the number 1 energy sales person in the UK and latterly in Ireland for all of those 12 years. You might think I would have got lots of complaints, quite the opposite in fact. I had the lowest complaints percentage to sales wise and I also had many customers call or email thanking me for spending my time to explain something in such a manner that they had finally understood the market and had been able to make an informed decision to switch.

Not everyone could get away with such techniques of course, you have to be confident in your delivery and not feel a hint of remorse.

I found those with signs etc actually normally provided the best laugh, often they had a front of a bad attitude, but more often than not I would be sitting in their kitchen drinking a cup of tea laughing about the sign outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

Most of these people are Scammers I think the best thing to do is to tell them to F**k Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I generally enjoy the interruption. The last caller I answered the door to was from Energia. He asked me who our electricity provider was, which I declined to answer. However, I did find out that his provider was Energia, that he still lived at home with his parents, and that while they don't currently have a TV provider, they have Saorview, buy he doesn't really watch much TV. I bid him good evening, he looked confused, but was pleasant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Big dog and electric gate. Only Jehovah's Witnesses and an odd charity rep believe in their cause enough to ring the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

meeeeh wrote: »
    Big dog and electric gate. Only Jehovah's Witnesses and an odd charity rep believe in their cause enough to ring the bell.

You would be my prime target precisely because people are unlikely to ring the bell and you will probably be less battle hardened from constant pitching and most likely not in a contract as youre more likely to not have switched within the previous 12 months. Plus most people with Electric gates have no issues with paying by direct debit!

The dog is an added bonus, people with pets are usually warm and even if initially hostile, they soon melt when youve got the dog rolling on his back tickling his belly! The perfect distraction and a great subject to chat about until you like me enough where I feel comfortable to even start talking about why Im there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

You would be my prime target precisely because people are unlikely to ring the bell and you will probably be less battle hardened from constant pitching and most likely not in a contract as youre more likely to not have switched within the previous 12 months. Plus most people with Electric gates have no issues with paying by direct debit!

The dog is an added bonus, people with pets are usually warm and even if initially hostile, they soon melt when youve got the dog rolling on his back tickling his belly! The perfect distraction and a great subject to chat about until you like me enough where I feel comfortable to even start talking about why Im there.

yeah then you shag the wife and use the jetpack to escape with the signed contract - anyone who has our level of experience knows that people with electric gates have jetpacks.
    kind of cold i know, but hey they didn't make me sale director of europe for nothing.

sent from singapore on my iphone20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Don't answer the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You've never called to my house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I have a note on the porch window that says that I don't buy at the door.

If someone comes selling I ask them which word they don't understand.

Advertisement