Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First boat.

Options
  • 18-09-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi everyone. So I recently went to Croatia and visited all the islands by boat. It really got me hooked on the whole boating thing. I live in galway and there is an abundance of places to bring a boat on the water. So I thought why take the plunge. I'm looking for a small cabin crusier or sail boat but I guess I would prefer anything with a motor. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to boats so I would love some advice on where to but where to look who to talk to etc. My budget is around 1000-2000. I don't mind a fixer upper as long as it's not the hull or structure that needs fixing. If you could help in any way on my quest to become a captain then please do I'd be very much appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd start by taking a sailing and/or motoboat course first. There's a huge difference between the two, and you firstly need to decide what means of propulsion you're after.

I don't know Galway at all well, but there have to be sailing/boating clubs around - call in and get talking to people and see if you can get out on the water (courses are the easiest way to do this, and at least you'll learn the basics while you're at it).

Honestly, it's not as easy as "I want a boat, what do I buy" - well, it can be if you have very deep pockets, but boats are a fairly expensive hobby (usually) and you'd be better off being clear in your head what it is you actually want before you take the plunge.

ETA - I know this is probably stating the obvious, but sailing in the Adriatic and sailing in the west of Ireland are two fairly different things - make sure that sailing/boating in Ireland with all its various weather conditions is actually for you before you commit!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Defunkt welcome.
    I agree with HeidiHeidi drop into these guy's I'm sure they can help you out. http://www.bowwaves.com/ If your looking to buy a engine powered boat you will want to spend as much as posable on the best engine you can get boats are more or less worth nothing it's all down to the engine, whatever money you have spend half of it on the boat and the rest on whatever you might need like getting the engine serviced and a new impeller "water pump" if you are going to sea you will also need a back up engine, VHF,GPS,anchor, lifejackets, ropes, wheel bearings and so on this can soon add up so be prepared, you also have to make sure you have the right towing car for the weight of the boat and all it's gear and if you are going to use a marina they will insist you have insurance "worth getting anyway" After all that you will soon be on your way to beening one of us :)

BJ2bMtBCYAA2L79.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Defunkt

Hi thanks for your quick response. I understand ill have to educate myself on all the basics and safety etc so I do plan on doing a course. I guess my biggest thing is finding the right boat I'm looking for something that I can cruise along on rivers and lakes and a bit of offshore fishing during the summer so ideally a boat that could sleep 2 people for a night not looking for a floating caravan or anything. I saw a lot of what look like good cheap boats on done deal but as I'm a beginner I can't tell exactly what size etc I should be looking for. If anyone has recommendations on boat size I'd need or make or model etc or even share your story of your first boat I'd love to hear.

Thanks alot. Yeh im thinking more along the lines of an outboard engine maybe a sail boat converted or a small cabin cruiser. As I said before I don't mind a fixer upper as it'll keep me busy and interested through the winter. Good to know to budget for an engine. So I should be looking at boats that come with an engine or buy separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

I am feeling the same urges and would love to get a sail boat with a cabin.

I'm in Galway too.

Would 2000 really be enough to get a modest start?

How much do insurance and marina's usually cost?

• Advertisement

I guess if you find the right boat why not. Let's go halves so and we get a massive boat ha haaa. We live in galway and have so many cool places to boat so why not buy one ya know :)

That's not a bad idea, I'm broke right now but I'm hoping that will change in the near future.
    Galway would be the ideal spot alright, I'm green with envy watching all the boats head out to Clare this summer.

I often thought sharing a boat would be the most sensible option.

I have some experience with a river/canal barge but I'm guessing sailing is a whole different thing entirely.

Alcoheda wrote: »
    That's not a bad idea, I'm broke right now but I'm hoping that will change in the near future.
    Galway would be the ideal spot alright, I'm green with envy watching all the boats head out to Clare this summer.

I often thought sharing a boat would be the most sensible option.

I have some experience with a river/canal barge but I'm guessing sailing is a whole different thing entirely.

You have more experience than me so. Yeh I would love something small to just head off to kinvara or lough corrib or up the Shannon for a week in the summer. Can't really find anywhere that sells 2nd hand boats other than done deal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A good starter boat for sea and lakes would be something like a Shetland http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/shetland-535/10424548?offset=2 as you don't know boats you would be better off going for a boat and engine to save you from having to match one up.

I suppose you could always head down the Cladagh and just start asking round.
    There's always someone tinkering away down there and in my experience, the boating community is fairly tight knit one.

You may find someone who knows someone with something for sale.

• Advertisement

I suppose you could always head down the Cladagh and just start asking round.
    There's always someone tinkering away down there and in my experience, the boating community is fairly tight knit one.

You may find someone who knows someone with something for sale.

Yeh I guess I'll have to keep asking around. Hopefully some people might see this thread and have a boat that suits for sale.

I would seriously recommend getting time out on the water on as many types of boats you can before even beginning to think of buying.

There are so many types of boats out there, before you even get into the condition they're in - and one of you is still using sail/motor interchangeably.

There's also a fair bit of knowledge that you'll need to keep you safe on the water, and a course will teach you a lot of that.

I'm honestly not trying to be a spoilsport here, but as Fergal said buying the boat is probably the cheapest part of the whole enterprise - know what you want before you buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

Defunkt wrote: »
    Yeh I guess I'll have to keep asking around. Hopefully some people might see this thread and have a boat that suits for sale.

There's a boat that might suit you for sale outside Nenagh - not too far from Galway. You'll have to look up the number of Open Season, Nenagh and ask for the owner, Kevin.

I understand your concerns HeidiHeidi but I assure you, I do understand the difference between a sail and a motor.

What's the best way in your opinion, to get experience on a range of boats?
    Is it normally possible to hire one for a short trip?

If so how much would you generally expect to pay?

deni20000 wrote: »
    There's a boat that might suit you for sale outside Nenagh - not too far from Galway. You'll have to look up the number of Open Season, Nenagh and ask for the owner, Kevin.

Ok cool ill check it out thanks a lot. My first lead :) so is open season a website then?

I understand your concerns HeidiHeidi but I assure you, I do understand the difference between a sail and a motor.

I didn't mean it like that, but I think you probably knew that......

What's the best way in your opinion, to get experience on a range of boats?
    Is it normally possible to hire one for a short trip?

If so how much would you generally expect to pay?

If you've no or little experience of sailing (which is what I do, I'll leave it to Fergal or others to give advice on motorboating) then I doubt you'd find anyone who'll hire you a boat on your own. A short weekend/evening course would probably be your best bet - are there any sailing schools the Galway area? A quick google tells me you've just missed an adult sail training weekend in Galway Bay Sailing Club last weekend - there's bound to be more of those, ask around. Or get talking to people in that or other clubs, there are always people looking for bodies for racing or just a skite around, you may be able to get out on the water that way.

If you plan to go and look at a boat be sure to bring someone with you that knows boats and engines as they are sold as seen so you will have no comeback, just look at my post below "Barn find Glastron" or dnme's Sticky above "A restoration tale" they will give you some idea of what can be involved in buying a cheep boat to restore :eek:
    There is no such thing as a cheep boat :D

fergal.b wrote: »
    If you plan to go and look at a boat be sure to bring someone with you that knows boats and engines as they are sold as seen so you will have no comeback, just look at my post below "Barn find Glastron" or dnme's Sticky above "A restoration tale" they will give you some idea of what can be involved in buying a cheep boat to restore :eek:
    There is no such thing as a cheep boat :D

Thanks fergal.b appreciate it. Yeh I have a mate who's great with engines and all things mechanical so he'll be with me. Do you think it's possible to get a boat that's ready for the water for my budget or should I save more?

Defunkt wrote: »
    Thanks fergal.b appreciate it. Yeh I have a mate who's great with engines and all things mechanical so he'll be with me. Do you think it's possible to get a boat that's ready for the water for my budget or should I save more?

You should have no problem finding a good boat and now is a good time to buy but like Heidi said don't rush in go and do the course first and spend some time on the water you never know you might end up getting sea sick after a few hours :D there will always be boats for sale so spend some time looking around harbours, marinas and online till you find something you really like.

fergal.b wrote: »
    You should have no problem finding a good boat and now is a good time to buy but like Heidi said don't rush in go and do the course first and spend some time on the water you never know you might end up getting sea sick after a few hours :D there will always be boats for sale so spend some time looking around harbours, marinas and online till you find something you really like.

I was out in renville today at the sailing club but there was nobody around. I saw few boats for sail but they were massive ones. Definitely too big for me. I've been on boats before on rivers and offshore I used to go deep sea fishing quite a bit never got sea sick so hopefully I won't have to worry about that but ya never know. I'm definitely gonna do a course I'm not that brave to go out untrained ha haaaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 smallboat

Apologies in advance and I do not intend to hijack this thread but could anyone please advise on the make of this small boat? I attach images, it is for sale and the seller does not know what make or model it is. Thanks in advance. Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 smallboat

Many thanks for this.

Advertisement