Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey quays cycle route: Detailed drawings online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Indeed this could be a good thing. A car ban all the way from Church Street to O'Connell Bridge would really breath life into the area.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There has to be care taken that too much is not taken on too quickly and keeping access to Jervis Street and Parnell Street is key to this.

But with the wider plan to block traffic before O'Connell Street (which goes further than Liffey Cycle Route needs), a traffic lane could be removed from the section between Church Street and Jervis Street. The Liffey Cycle Route had planned to keep two traffic lanes on this section, but with the wider plan for general traffic to be divert traffic from Jervis Street onwards, one lane could be used for a mix of trees/greenery / cafe seating, extra footpath width etc.

There are some retailers pushing against the plans, the city has to be careful that they don't put fuel on that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

However, he said there was a possibility buses could be allowed drive along the Luas line.
    Sure why not.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cycle-path-plan-diverts-buses-through-apartment-block-1.2328484

utter disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

hmmm wrote: »
    However, he said there was a possibility buses could be allowed drive along the Luas line.

Sure why not.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cycle-path-plan-diverts-buses-through-apartment-block-1.2328484

Not a snowball's hope of that happening.

The volume of buses and coaches at that location is just too great to share with the LUAS trams, as they would have to cross both lines.

It beggars belief that this could not have been foreseen at the outset.

Back to the drawing board thankfully and hopefully a different plan can be arrived at that isn't as disruptive to the bus routes along the Quays.

• Advertisement

With the car ban on Bachelors walk coming in, I don't see why the same can't be done between Blackhall Place and Church Street. Cars can divert to Blackhall Place, Hendrick Street, Haymarket, New Street, Phoenix Stret, Hammond Lane, Church Street.

cgcsb wrote: »
    With the car ban on Bachelors walk coming in, I don't see why the same can't be done between Blackhall Place and Church Street. Cars can divert to Blackhall Place, Hendrick Street, Haymarket, New Street, Phoenix Stret, Hammond Lane, Church Street.

We have to be careful here. You are putting the cart before the horse.

The Bachelor's Walk and Burgh Quay plans aren't decided upon yet -
    DCC would have to come up with alternative routes that are realistic alternatives that are not going to lead to total gridlock elsewhere. There was no mention of what these routes might be. These two ideas are in my view the more contentious of all of the proposals that the DCC/NTA came up with.

I view those proposals as ancillary to the other proposals (closing College Green to general traffic, right and left turn bans around O'Connell Bridge and redesigning both Westmoreland Street and D'Olier Street), which are necessary to cope with the LUAS Green Line extension.

Whether they will happen or not is still definitely up for discussion.

It was my understanding that the public consultation showed great support for the proposals and that Dublin City Council and the NTA were supportive, so surely that means only time is standing in the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

It was my understanding that the public consultation showed great support for the proposals and that Dublin City Council and the NTA were supportive, so surely that means only time is standing in the way now.

Time and a construction site:)

Again, I think we need to be careful - there has been no public analysis of the results of the consultation of the Dublin City Centre plans yet, so I am not sure how you are reaching that conclusion as yet.

We know that retailers and businesses are, to put it politely, uneasy about the proposals.

I wouldn't be as confident about those two particular elements of the proposals (removing general traffic altogether from both Bachelors Walk and Burgh Quay) at this stage, mainly because no alternatives were proposed to demonstrate where the traffic would divert to, without causing major gridlock.

The other elements (College Green, Westmoreland Street and D'Olier Street) are far easier to implement as there are viable alternative routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I heard Cllr Cuffe on Newstalk earlier about the apt. development and the way it is impeding the preferred option.

Amongst other things, he thinks that Traffic Lights could be introduced to allow a succession of modes to go through that pinch point. Yes, that's right, so who goes first? And has been mentioned already, shared use of the Luas tracks.

You couldn't make it up.

Sounds to me like they are trying everything in their power to shoehorn buses into this option, no matter what.

To be fair to Cuffe, he also admitted under Hook's insistent prodding, that they may have to think it all out again!

So there we are. For now. What a disaster.

I get weary thinking of how flipping long it takes to get ANY infrastructure sorted in this city.

But I'll hold fire until the Transport group on DCC meets after the holliers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I get weary thinking of how flipping long it takes to get ANY infrastructure sorted in this city.
    If we could spend less time on farcical solutions involving traffic lights for Luas & bus priority, two 90 degree turns across busy roads for buses on a packed commuter route, and trying to run bus routes through the foyer of an apartment building, things would be faster.

If we could spend less time on farcical solutions involving traffic lights for Luas & bus priority, two 90 degree turns across busy roads for buses on a packed commuter route, and trying to run bus routes through the foyer of an apartment building, things would be faster.

Everything you say is true.

And made me laugh too, in a good way. Can't be frowning at the muppets in charge of this ALL the time now can I LOL!

So I'll stand back for a bit and see what happens.

Great thread.

Anyone heard anything about this? Is it officially back to the drawing board with another public consultation to take place?

The apartment block is flying up btw.

Anyone heard anything about this? Is it officially back to the drawing board with another public consultation to take place?

Haven't heard anything myself, but that's not to say that nothing is happening either.

I understand that the issue is to be discussed at the Transport Group of Dublin City Council at their next meeting. I haven't a clue if this has taken place yet or not.

If I get time I'll check the website.

I would imagine so.

The planning process is a very slow one so I wouldn't expect any developments for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

I have more or less given up on this forum as any kind of conduit to enlightenment, but I cannot resist the opportunity to thank heavens for that apartment block.

The fact that an apartment block would be planned right in the path of a vital proposed traffic route, and that the planning authorities would fail to notice this, is simply scandalous.

However, for once, rampant development actually serves an unintended useful purpose, however unlikely. That proposed bus route was plain nonsense, and if it takes the combination of an ill-fitting apartment block and the complete incompetence of city planners to thwart it, well then all to the good.

No doubt they will find something even more ridiculous to replace it with.

paddyland wrote: »
    I have more or less given up on this forum as any kind of conduit to enlightenment, but I cannot resist the opportunity to thank heavens for that apartment block.

The fact that an apartment block would be planned right in the path of a vital proposed traffic route, and that the planning authorities would fail to notice this, is simply scandalous.

However, for once, rampant development actually serves an unintended useful purpose, however unlikely. That proposed bus route was plain nonsense, and if it takes the combination of an ill-fitting apartment block and the complete incompetence of city planners to thwart it, well then all to the good.

No doubt they will find something even more ridiculous to replace it with.

I dunno, you might think it's a godsend but there's already whispers of buses 'sharing space' with the luas :eek:

obviously another solution must be found and obviously another solution is going to have to penalise car users, but does DCC have the gall to do it? I very much doubt it, the car is king afterall.

I dunno, you might think it's a godsend but there's already whispers of buses 'sharing space' with the luas :eek:

obviously another solution must be found and obviously another solution is going to have to penalise car users, but does DCC have the gall to do it? I very much doubt it, the car is king afterall.

That was a suggestion from a Green Party councillor rather than from a council planner - I would not waste a lot of time worrying about that as it frankly is completely impractical, given it would require blocking both LUAS lines frequently.

It is just not going to happen.

lxflyer wrote: »
    That was a suggestion from a Green Party councillor rather than from a council planner - I would not waste a lot of time worrying about that as it frankly is completely impractical, given it would require blocking both LUAS lines frequently.

It is just not going to happen.

Nothing would surprise me at this point, we live in an age where magical mystery tour of cabra luas lines become the 'favoured option' despite being rubbished by the RPA years ago as insufficient. We live in an age where the public just accepts 2 non connecting luas lines, the Phoenix Park tunnel is a 'cheaper alternative to DART underground' :rolleyes: the list goes on and people accept it.

• Advertisement

Nothing would surprise me at this point, we live in an age where magical mystery tour of cabra luas lines become the 'favoured option' despite being rubbished by the RPA years ago as insufficient. We live in an age where the public just accepts 2 non connecting luas lines, the Phoenix Park tunnel is a 'cheaper alternative to DART underground' :rolleyes: the list goes on and people accept it.

Well from an operational perspective the sharing of LUAS lanes between buses and trams at this location is just not an acceptable solution. It was peddled by one councillor, not a planner, who frankly wouldn't understand the implications of what he was suggesting.

It would mean extended bus journey times and extended LUAS journey times due to the exceptionally high volume of bus traffic along that corridor.

It just won't happen.

Well from an operational perspective the sharing of LUAS lanes between buses and trams at this location is just not an acceptable solution. It was peddled by one councillor, not a planner, who frankly wouldn't understand the implications of what he was suggesting.

It would mean extended bus journey times and extended LUAS journey times due to the exceptionally high volume of bus traffic along that corridor.

It just won't happen.

With all due respect lxflyer when have informed decisions on transport policy been the norm in Ireland. All these decisions are made by unqualified persons who plainly don't understand what they're doing. Not connecting the luas lines for example was not done on the advice of transport planners.

With all due respect lxflyer when have informed decisions on transport policy been the norm in Ireland. All these decisions are made by unqualified persons who plainly don't understand what they're doing. Not connecting the luas lines for example was not done on the advice of transport planners.

Actually by and large the councillors do actually listen to what the council planners suggest in terms of transport planning.

The problems tend to be more acute at national level.

I genuinely would not see the option of buses and trams sharing space at Smithfield ever happening. I will repeat myself - that suggestion was an off-the-cuff comment from one councillor - and even he admitted under pressure that it wasn't a realistic option.

I hope you're right, I just have no faith at this point.

Actually by and large the councillors do actually listen to what the council planners suggest in terms of transport planning.

The problems tend to be more acute at national level.

I genuinely would not see the option of buses and trams sharing space at Smithfield ever happening. I will repeat myself - that suggestion was an off-the-cuff comment from one councillor - and even he admitted under pressure that it wasn't a realistic option.

Very clever play on Councillor Cuffe head of the Transport Committee on DCC, who actually proposed traffic lights for each mode of transport in order to keep the preferred option open.

I agree with you it's a daft proposal. When the Transport Committee meets I am sure Cllr. Cuffe will be brought to his senses!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cuffe is just coming at it from the perspective of trying to make cycling better in the city, and I applaud him for that as it's fairly rare for politicians to actually care what happens with that group. His suggestion obviously has basically no merit, and I'm sure it will not happen, but he's at least coming from a positive angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Hey, this is the city that proposed putting the LUAS on stilts to get through the Red Cow roundabout before it was rebuilt as an interchange. And the same one that DISCONNECTED the planned, joined-up LUAS system due to business concerns resulting in delays to rollout, £100m lost EU funding and increased costs. "Hey, we're rich after the Eircom flotation, we can afford this... FF"

Dublin City Council roads Dept both planned this bus route AND signed off on that Smithfield apartment building (it has no car parking spaces, so they had to assess it, look at the planning docs).

I'd just love it if they stopped trying to keep everyone happy (and failing everyone) and made the tough decisions based on best use of resources:-
    Busses - dedicated lane all down the quays
    Bicycles - improved cross-city route adjacent/along the LUAS line (cars less inclined to fup with bikes if getting tram rammed is a risk)
    LUAS - no cars/busses/motor vehicles allowed along the way
    Private Cars - tough scheiße, the city centre can't afford you all, go around.
    Croppy Acre - take down the wall nearest the museum and open its gates - the foot traffic (Heuston/LUAS/meseum) and public usage will cure most of the anti-social problems (and allow Gardaí access for the rest).

/rant (from a person who drives/cycles/LUASs/busses around the city centre the past 25 years...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Bicycles - improved cross-city route adjacent/along the LUAS line (cars less inclined to fup with bikes if getting tram rammed is a risk)
    How do you route cyclists around the Luas platforms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

RainyDay wrote: »
    How do you route cyclists around the Luas platforms?

? Along the line till they can rejoin the dedicated path.

Or along the platform as most do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

dubscottie wrote: »
    ? Along the line till they can rejoin the dedicated path.

Or along the platform as most do.

**** no. As someone who has fallen once from their bike thanks to a wet Luas line and a careless pedestrian on their phone, this is an awful idea.

Advertisement