Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Data Genomics Programme (2015-2020)

Options
  • 21-08-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭

What's the latest on this? I thought they were going to send out the star rating reports for all your cows. I didn't receive anything yet.
    I tried to access the data on www.ICBF.com and it says I have to be a member of Herd-Plus.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sako 85

I'm the same, have received nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

About 4 weeks ago icbf on the home page shows a link for ur herds stars

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

About 4 weeks ago icbf on the home page shows a link for ur herds stars

That might be only for ppl paid up to herdplus?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

blue5000 wrote: »
    That might be only for ppl paid up to herdplus?

It is, if you are signed up to herd plus.
    I think icbf will send out the eurostars for any farmers cows/heifers if you ring them and ask for them.
    They should have been sent out to everyone by now, it's ridiculous how long it's taking them to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

tanko wrote: »
    It is, if you are signed up to herd plus.
    I think icbf will send out the eurostars for any farmers cows/heifers if you ring them and ask for them.
    They should have been sent out to everyone by now, it's ridiculous how long it's taking them to do this.
    Ah right , that's that one so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

I'm not in the scheme but my uncle is. He has 6 cows but only 4 calved in 2014. So his reference animal number is 3. And his mpa is 2. He is confused to how much he will get paid well I'm confused too. If I was in the scheme I would know more.
    So is it 2x €142.50= 285 ????

jimini0 wrote: »
    I'm not in the scheme but my uncle is. He has 6 cows but only 4 calved in 2014. So his reference animal number is 3. And his mpa is 2. He is confused to how much he will get paid well I'm confused too. If I was in the scheme I would know more.
    So is it 2x €142.50= 285 ????

4 cows divided by 1.5= 2.66 x 142.5 = €380 per year I think.
    Is his reference animal no. Not 4?

4 cows divided by 1.5= 2.66 x 142.5 = €380 per year I think.
    Is his reference animal no. Not 4?

That's where we were confused. He has 4 cows that calved last year. But only 3 on his reference animal number.

That's where we were confused. He has 4 cows that calved last year. But only 3 on his reference animal number.

The difference between 4 cows calved in 2014 and 3 cows is going to be €95 per year. Might be worth checking it out with the department.

• Advertisement

The difference between 4 cows calved in 2014 and 3 cows is going to be €95 per year. Might be worth checking it out with the department.

We did a bit of investigating. One cow that he bought in has the small button tag. It was in another scheme so is not eligible for this one.
    So he will just get paid for 3.
    Its hardly worth his while when you take the testing fee €30 for each cow out. Plus his time doin paperwork and tagging. I think he is signing over the land to his son soon so I guess it will be his decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

What's the latest on this? I thought they were going to send out the star rating reports for all your cows. I didn't receive anything yet.
    I tried to access the data on www.ICBF.com and it says I have to be a member of Herd-Plus.

i rang icbf today and was told it will be another 2 weeks before i recieve the eurostar ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

is it worth it..if only carrying a few cows.. eg! 5 cows in 2014.. so monies gained will be 470ish... minus deductions, its very little money for a lot of hazzle.. what's peoples opinions??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

50HX wrote: »
    i rang icbf today and was told it will be another 2 weeks before i recieve the eurostar ratings

I read on de indo today that they are gonna start printing the tags soon
    I havnt made up my mind yet
    So what will happen if they send out tags
    I have signed up, but like everyone else I haven't recieved the stars yet.
    Is there a final day that I can opt out before I get tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭angusangus

jd06 wrote: »
    You can opt out any time before first payment! !!!fact is you can opt out anytime but will to give back any payments recieved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

jd06 wrote: »

I would very much doubt that their will be any money invested from Govt side on pricy tags till people have had another while to opt out....after seeing Star ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

I would very much doubt that their will be any money invested from Govt side on pricy tags till people have had another while to opt out....after seeing Star ratings.

Where do you opt out anyway?

Anyone else get their Euro star report in the post today?

My uncle got his today. Strange rating. I don't know alot about his cows but one aax cow that we sold him is only 2 stars. She has had 4 healthy strong calves always plenty of milk easy calved and a great strong frame on her. Then i checked her heifer calf born in April or may she is 4 stars.

just got mine, a lot of strange ratings

have 2 x lmx cows that have a v low calving interval and have had 2 bull calves in the last 2 years that have been weaned @ 8months weighing 375kg without a lick of a nut

the debating will start now:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

My uncle got his today. Strange rating. I don't know alot about his cows but one aax cow that we sold him is only 2 stars. She has had 4 healthy strong calves always plenty of milk easy calved and a great strong frame on her. Then i checked her heifer calf born in April or may she is 4 stars.

This whole process will be a cluster f*ck for the next few years until there's enough data in the system to make the rating accurate. As hard as it will be, the best thing would be for everyone to join and bull through it for the few years.

This whole process will be a cluster f*ck for the next few years until there's enough data in the system to make the rating accurate. As hard as it will be, the best thing would be for everyone to join and bull through it for the few years.

True, apparently 120% of the reference number of females here are 4/5 star. I wouldn't be happy with a lot of them, it'll be interesting to see if they stay that way when the genotyping results come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭High bike

id be inclined to agree with u there about the cluster fcuk ,haven't got mine yet but from looking them up on line they'r all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The BDGP Herd reports are now available on www.icbf.com.
    Log on and then go to REPORTS and then EUROSTAR and then BDGP-EUROSTAR REPORT

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The BDGP Herd reports are now available on www.icbf.com.
    Log on and then go to REPORTS and then EUROSTAR and then BDGP-EUROSTAR REPORT

Feck that report, after spending ten minutes looking for a heifer on it and wondering how she wasn't showing up only to realise she was registered as a bull :( On the plus side 130% of the reference number are eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm at 200% already but I'm getting killed on the heifers which are all by ADX and APZ. Madness when you think about it. I notice no reliability % shown either.

Does anyone know how does a man go about exiting this scheme????
    My uncle was talkin to a man at mass last night about it and they came up with the best way. "Just don't send back the tags".
    He is a stubborn man I told him to ring the dept but no. His friend told him

if you were to buy in heifers how can you find out beforehand what rating they are?

50HX wrote: »
    if you were to buy in heifers how can you find out beforehand what rating they are?

Good question, I think the boards in marts are going to show star ratings for heifers, I don't know if they've started doing this yet. A buyer would be finding out at the last minute tho.
    If buying off farm the seller should have them.
    I think a heifer has to be genotyped as a 4/5 star heifer to qualify for the scheme. Who knows how genotyping will affect star ratings. If 4/5 star heifers start going down to 2/3 stars there'll be fun then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I'm at 200% already but I'm getting killed on the heifers which are all by ADX and APZ. Madness when you think about it. I notice no reliability % shown either.

that report is misleading.. I only looked at the calves and the heifers rating to check against scheme as I'm making the assumption that a good chunk of the cows will be long gone by 2020... I have seen reports from boys who hit the metrics easily now but they have a large chunk of calves that are in 1 & 2 star & are in reality borderline... that is before ICBF decide on changing the weightings again..

Advertisement