Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Was paying for something today and the woman said "Sunmer's over- roll on Christmas!" And I wanted to hug her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's September 1st.
    Only October 1st and November 1st to go and it's Advent calendar time!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

1438728597-4274641764_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yaaaay September! Just got a sudden rush of excitement! Roll on the dark winter evenings, warm cosy house, stew and shepherds pie for dinner..... :D

Btw I'm currently listening to Christmas playlist on YouTube :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I'm the 3000 poster.
    I was in Tesco at the weekend. I saw small boxes of Roses. The box is redesigned. It's sort of a light blue.
    There's also a new sweet in it. I think it's some sort of almond toffee. All the wrappers are changed and they look so strange.

If it's a milk chocolate hard toffee with nuts, then it's one they used to have in the selection years ago. I'm nearly positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's autumn!!

This is when the excitement really starts for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I also heard a rumour that Milk Tray have changed some of their sweets.
    I'd be interested in those; Milk Tray have become stale over the years, IMO.

I know it's annoying that Cadbury and Nestle have reduced the size of their tins this year (and last year), but I will still buy them because it's not Christmas without them.
    I don't think it's going to stop people buying them; they're traditional for a lot of people.

My Mam doesn't buy tins, though, she buys a big box of Milk Tray or Black Magic instead.

Strictly Come Dancing starts next week, doesn't it?
    That's always a sign Christmas is coming!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

It's just the launch show on Saturday. Not sure when the live shows starts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    It's just the launch show on Saturday. Not sure when the live shows starts.

Usually three weeks after the launch show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Whispered wrote: »
    It's autumn!!

This is when the excitement really starts for me!!

Me too! as far as i'm concerned the !st of September is the beginning of my Christmas Countdown, can't bloody wait!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

I listened to Christmas songs on the way to work this morning - it put me in such good form! And we were asked to put in for our Christmas leave today - holidays are coming! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have been looking up flights home for Christmas, only day 2 with the new firm and think its too early to start asking for Christmas off.

My old place had cheap flights, Christmas presents this year may be my presence at home (apart from my nephews and kids presents)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

First visit of the year to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop today! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Yaaaaay Posy! :D

I really over did it last year with the Christmas excitement. I was flying back to Ireland on the 18 Dec so I thought it would be reasonable (my OH thought I was mad) to put up the tree, decorations, and start playing festive music and movies from 18 Nov. By the time Christmas rolled around it was saturated and I was wrecked.
    I will be flying home (hopefully) on the 18 Dec this year but I think I will have to leave it till 1 Dec before I get the ball rolling.

I also need to give away/bin my Christmas tree. It looks amazing and I spent a good bit on it (it’s on the Christmas tree thread). However its 11 feet tall and our new place doesn’t have double height ceilings. It also means I have left over decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I saw these on Facebook. Glitter Glasses is the name of the company.

11953184_1646218082291846_8957625951225461501_n.jpg?oh=8f343d73c0b259bcca4db56c122ecb5b&oe=567D347A

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

I saw these on Facebook. Glitter Glasses is the name of the company.

11953184_1646218082291846_8957625951225461501_n.jpg?oh=8f343d73c0b259bcca4db56c122ecb5b&oe=567D347A

They look fabulous

Little fellas first birthday is Dec 13th, I bought him a birthday pressie in Heatons today. Excited! Their half price toy sale is great. I got a ride on Airplane thing with loads of lights etc that he will love for about €30.

Lads, they have a Christmas train set from €80 to €40 in the one in Naas. Looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Little fellas first birthday is Dec 13th, I bought him a birthday pressie in Heatons today. Excited! Their half price toy sale is great. I got a ride on Airplane thing with loads of lights etc that he will love for about €30.

Lads, they have a Christmas train set from €80 to €40 in the one in Naas. Looks gorgeous.

They have great stuff don't they. Better selection on line as I find the stores sell out of stuff super quickly !

Seen that train in heatons in carlow. I found that very expensive? Homestore and more had one on half price last year for month of December can't remember the price now unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Watching a Christmas episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia :)

I have failed miserably at keeping Christmas out and its September!

I was innocently waiting on a furniture delivery so threw youtube on to my phone, there right on the suggested videos was Fr. Ted Christmas special (its Ireland biggest lingerie department!), I said I'd watch it till the movers arrived...

My neighbour has halloween decorations up ! Was out grabbing last few clothes off clothes line before bed and they had a massive spider hanging from their ceiling in the window! Scared the bayjasus out of me!!

Convinced myself there was some cheap syfy eight legged freaks kinda thing going on next door !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    My neighbour has halloween decorations up ! Was out grabbing last few clothes off clothes line before bed and they had a massive spider hanging from their ceiling in the window! Scared the bayjasus out of me!!

Convinced myself there was some cheap syfy eight legged freaks kinda thing going on next door !

2 months Halloween decorations?!? That's mental. Halloween is literally only one day and it's not a holiday or a season like Christmas is.

Loughc wrote: »
    2 months Halloween decorations?!? That's mental. Halloween is literally only one day and it's not a holiday or a season like Christmas is.

Halloween is a whole season for some. I love it!

That or they never took them down from last year! Lol ! My eldest loves halloween in fairness and our decorations start going up on the first of October to give him some time to enjoy them but early Sept is waaay to early for halloween decorations ! Earliest I've seen anyway !

Halloween is a whole season for some. I love it!

I like Halloween and horror movies myself but I've no idea how it can be a season.

Christmas is a full season as it has Christmas Eve all up to little Christmas. What does Halloween have to match that?

Whispered you have a son born in December too if I remember correctly ? Maybe your my doppelganger lol :)

Obviously Christmas is the biggest celebratory season of the year. But for me, and quite a few of my friends, the whole of October builds up to Halloween night. We don't even do anything, it's just the heralding of winter and celebrating all winter brings (where as Christmas is a celebration all of itself if you know what I mean). Maybe it's a paganistic thing.

But you know yourself how it is when people tell you you're ridiculous or mental for celebrating Christmas too early.

• Advertisement

I like Halloween and horror movies myself but I've no idea how it can be a season.

Christmas is a full season as it has Christmas Eve all up to little Christmas. What does Halloween have to match that?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't halloween originally all hallows eve to mark the end of the harvest season? Ok granted were now more about latex zombie bites and fake blood but originally I believe it was to mark the end of a season ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement